Texas vs. ACU - First Round - 8:50pm on truTV/TNT

Pancho

6 hours ago, chemHORN said:

Not sure why its dumb.  Ramey has been good at times but over the past 3 games he has been pretty bad.  I agree with it for this game.  You give half those 36 minutes to someone else I think you find the 2 points you need to win the game.  

Ztejas is Ramey’s dad or some shit. He’s his white knight on here. It makes no sense. 

Texas wins by double digits if Ramey isn’t on the court 

I posted after the WVU game that Ramey has too many 1-7, 4 turnover efforts to be yelling at Jones over one bad play

ztejas white knighted him that sure he goes 1 for 7 a lot, but its a good 1 for 7 and I was wrong because he rarely has more than 2 turnovers

So dumb. And now he’s still white knighting with the 4 turnovers too.

Ramey sucks shit

Edited by MotownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, ztejas said:

It isn't about Ramey. It never was. Not at any point this season was Courtney Ramey Texas' biggest issue (which is probably why I've had to defend him so much here). If I'm Shaka I'm thanking God that I have Courtney Ramey on my team to serve as a convenient distraction for my incessant, massive fucking ineptitude. So keep discussing which player did what wrong to cost Texas the game while I sit over here and laugh at people that are completely missing the point.

They both suck. 

7 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

This was the first Texas game I have watched in I don’t know how long. I watched about half of it because I was also watching Gonzaga. Gonzaga scored three more points in the 2nd half of their game than the Horns entire score. Texas just looked like some guys that all met up an hour before tip-off and were just winging it offensively. Perhaps the next coach will have a cohesive offense as part of his coaching ability. I would go after Gonzaga’s lead assistant Tommy Lloyd and at least get him to say no. He likely would, but make the decision a hard one. He is their coach-in-waiting and recruits like few others do at the collegiate level. 

this has been posted in every game thread, even the wins

6 hours ago, justhookit said:

Has anyone mentioned we played really bad defense on the last play? We got caught on a bad switch off Coleman’s man and Kai and Sims got in each other’s way. Kai ends up blocking the shot, Sims is across the lane out of the play and then Coleman ends up reaching and gets the foul. Really bad sequence. I need to find the replay to watch again but I’m pretty sure if Kai and Sims don’t get tangled that drive gets cutoff outside the lane.

well it was after a timeout so what did you expect?

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

If we simply got the ball to Sims in the post we would have won by 30

Should have won by 15 regardless

It’s inexcusable. I’m happy to blame Shaka on this one.

ACU is awful at sending people to the line.  We didn't do any of that.  Also, our guard play was completely dogshit aside from Coleman.  Shaka can't fucking develop guards.

Sims took three shots, Brown didn't play, and Jones hung out on the 3-point line. Just incredible. 

That's like playing a team who is last in the NCAA in rushing defense, and giving the ball to Bijan four times. Wait actually that might have actually happened at some point too. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Sorry you raised a couple of dunces. 

Screw you. 

One is a CPA, the other is a successful typeface designer in Brooklyn. 

I’m not sorry shaka lost to a team in only their 3rd year in Div. 1. Why are we destroyed that ACU was able to beat Texas? It’s been coming under Shaka. If anything, we owe Golding our thanks. It should get shaka shoved out the door. 

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Sims took three shots, Brown didn't play, and Jones hung out on the 3-point line. Just incredible. 

That's like playing a team who is last in the NCAA in rushing defense, and giving the ball to Bijan four times. Wait actually that might have actually happened at some point too. 

Agreed. It’s a huge coaching fuck up

Shaka played right into their hands 

This might should go on the unpopular opinions thread, but not all of Sims' lack of shots is on the coaching. I saw several times where they gave him the ball in the post, he made one half hearted move and passed back out. You know you can make multiple moves in sequence to work towards the basket right?

And sure some of that is coaching, I'm not defending Shaka at all. He is terrible and needs to be fired. But Sims is kind of a soft player. He got killed on the boards by a bunch of scrubs last night too. That's not all coaching. You can't coach marbles.

giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd7k2bkvc3bgrndx3hedec8a6rsqybvlttygphmy93i&rid=giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

This might should go on the unpopular opinions thread, but not all of Sims' lack of shots is on the coaching. I saw several times where they gave him the ball in the post, he made one half hearted move and passed back out. You know you can make multiple moves in sequence to work towards the basket right?

And sure some of that is coaching, I'm not defending Shaka at all. He is terrible and needs to be fired. But Sims is kind of a soft player. He got killed on the boards by a bunch of scrubs last night too. That's not all coaching. You can't coach marbles.

giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd7k2bkvc3bgrndx3hedec8a6rsqybvlttygphmy93i&rid=giphy.gif

Posted this last night and no it's not popular.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, justhookit said:

Yeah, if he played Ramey’s minutes he would have been over 10 turnovers. Anyway, I was screaming at the tv to play Coleman and Jones at the guards with Kai, Brown, and Sims. But Shaka refused to do that tonight and basically all year. Instead we gave weird minutes to Hamm and Williams and too much time to Cunningham in a game where we were struggling to score.

I genuinely wonder how a coach fails to see these things. It happens all the time.  You’re talking rotations, good points, I thought half way through the first half the answer as dominate the boards, reduce their opportunities increase ours and how many times did I see we send five back immediately? Apparently l saw less than what actually happened with zero offensive rebounds leading to points.  These aren’t complex reads, and I doubt I actually know more than Shaka but what in the wide world of sports ?? I’m dumbfounded. It’s the GDGD 5 yard out on 3rd and 7. Wtf??

8 hours ago, chemHORN said:

I would agree accept for Cunningham.  He only played 10 minutes and this was his kind of game.  Scrappy and he could match their intensity.  Interesting enough in the same time period Cunnigham has 7 points in 47 minutes. Although all 7 points came in 1 game when you do the math he was about twice as productive offensively as Ramey over the last 3 games.  

I thought the same. 

Our spacing with both Greg and Sims on the floor is fucked, which is important when you want to run a four-out, one-in type of offense. Of course, our rebounding with Sims and four guards (or even three plus Brock) is fucked, and our offensive identity with any kind of lineup is fucked.

Edited by Machinator

Turnovers and guts killed us.

Sims
Kai
Cunningham
A Jones
Coleman

These are our best ball handlers and passers. Cunningham needed serious play throughout. He knows how to play and I’ve never see him pee his pants. He’s solid with the ball and decision-making.

But its not just passing. Off-ball movement is also critical. Standing around the 3-pt line gave Abilene a stationary target to rotate defenders.

Greg Brown, Ramey, Febres needed spot duty. Ramey is an off-the-bench microwave player if I ever saw one.

Hamm and Williams had no business seeing the court. I’d take Hepa over either of them.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, MotownHorn said:

how about we blame Shaka for 6 years of shit basketball and fire him?

3 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

Ztejas is Ramey’s dad or some shit. He’s his white knight on here. It makes no sense. 

Texas wins by double digits if Ramey isn’t on the court 

I pray every night that we get a new basketball coach and that Ztejas never, ever has any children.  

9 hours ago, ztejas said:

I'm amazed I even have to explain this but it's basically like if someone drove a Ferrari off of a 500 foot cliff and killed themselves and afterwards someone says "well if it was a Porsche he would have lived"

Maybe the Porsche has a better safety rating and more strategically placed airbags. Did you ever think of that smart guy? Huh? Did you?!

2 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

How’s Shaka’s dick taste this morning? 

Is his ball sweat a little less sweeter? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Once again we sit back and watch the fickle CDC dilemma.  Will he or won’t he?

I heard CDC wasn’t going to make a move after Urban turned us down until Sarkisian knocked his interview out of the park. I just can’t see a move being made here, not one game after winning the Big 12 (tainted or otherwise).

The ACU coach said coming out of the half that he believed more then that they could win the game than he did before the game.  Translation, he knew he had the superior gameplan and there was zero chance Texas was going to adjust.  

Edited by chemHORN
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Shaka did nothing wrong, Courtney Ramey blew it for us.

You realize its possible for both to be true right.  Courtney Ramey was a liability on the court for the last 3 games, and Shaka gave him 36 minutes.  In 79 minutes of play in the postseason Ramey has a total of 6 points.  Neither one of them were very good last night.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, chemHORN said:

You realize its possible for both to be true right.  Courtney Ramey was a liability on the court for the last 3 games, and Shaka gave him 36 minutes.  In 79 minutes of play in the postseason Ramey has a total of 6 points.  Neither one of them were very good last night.  

agreed

I don't think Shaka gets fired. $7mm buyout in the same year of covid cuts and a massive football staff buyout. Plus, all these guys could come back next year (Kai and Brown almost certainly won't, but no one else is getting drafted..)

Feel bad for Coleman. He's been a great leader but had a terrible night. 7 TOs and 4 fouls including the game-loser

I’m as amazed at those who are shocked by this loss as I am by those thinking Shaka gets fired.

Have you watched this program for the last six years? Of course we were going to struggle with a pressure defense team. We turn the ball over with regularity and only have one guy who can handle the ball. We take shitty shots and get panicked quickly. We don’t shoot threes well unless we’re wide open. We have no offensive identity. Of course this game was going to be close.

Shaka isn’t going to get fired for the same reason we’ve dealt with mediocrity in basketball and football for a decade. This program has never cared about excellence in athletics. Never. And it’s not going to change now.

Edited by Ghost of Shag
  • Fuck You 1

37 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I heard CDC wasn’t going to make a move after Urban turned us down until Sarkisian knocked his interview out of the park. I just can’t see a move being made here, not one game after winning the Big 12 (tainted or otherwise).

Our roster is trash next year. No coach worth their salt will want to come here and have them be his first group of players.

The time to get rid of Shaka was last year. But our BMDs were too cheap to part with $10 million. Last night they got the outcome they paid for.

9 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

I’m as amazed at those who are shocked by this loss as I am by those thinking Shaka gets fired.

Have you watched this program for the last six years? Of course we were going to struggle with a pressure defense team. We turn the ball over with regularity and only have one guy who can handle the ball. We take shitty shots and get panicked quickly. We don’t shoot threes well unless we’re wide open. We have no offensive identity. Of course this game was going to be close.

Shaka isn’t going to get fired for the same reason we’ve dealt with mediocrity in basketball and football for a decade. This program has never cared about excellence in athletics. Never. And it’s not going to change now.

No one is shocked. Everyone is pissed. I might be amazed that there isn’t more apathy but no one is surprised.

Edited by troph