UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

1 hour ago, bullzak said:

I would be good with Sampson. The man can get it done. His NCAA history is fucking quaint when you realize how dirty basketball recruiting really is. You know its bad when even the saintly Coach K is in on it. 

I would be good with Royal Ivey if he wanted it. Sack up and roll the dice. Could he be any worse? 

Sampson's problem is he got caught.

That eliminates him from consideration.

Not sure if it matters, but Diana Ross wants Mussels.

The simple fact is that you have to be able to recruit transfers these days.   There are 600-700 in D1 each year now.  Each team is going to lose 2-4 kids unexpectedly and needs to replace them through the transfer market.  You're much better getting a transfer than the typical type of HS kid that is unsigned April or later.

Muss brought in a ton of transfers and completely overhauled Arkansas' roster.  Only one player from last year's team in in the top 10 of minutes this year.  That said, he started 3 freshmen recruited out of HS in yesterday's game vs. Tech.

I don't know where the asshole or aloof stuff comes from.  At a minimum, his public persona is one that is very interactive both on social media and in public.  He's a goofball.

Edited 57 minutes ago by Don Johnson

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Teryor said:

Going to keep banging this drum, dude is nails in March

Great coach. He does have that blemish of letting the player with a known rape allegation play during the final four run, but I’m not certain how that was ever resolved. I’d take him in a heartbeat.

I really don't know if Ivey is ready to be a head coach, but I'd at least explore the option at minimum to at least appease the Texas NBA players.  I'm not sure it's public knowledge just how much Durant likes him, but I think he's on record about Ivey being his favorite teammate.  Ivey was even seen as a factor in recruiting KD to the Knicks (but then they blew it with DeAndre Jordan) and I'm pretty sure Durant was a huge influence on getting him hired on the Nets.  In a best case scenario, you might have a very strong recruiting program with NBA players more engaged and part of everything.  You also don't have to worry about any song/racial issues of any kind either.  I'd rather gamble on a low floor/high ceiling potential hire with basketball than football, so maybe this is my bias showing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, UTDD said:

I'd rather gamble on a low floor/high ceiling potential hire with basketball than football, so maybe this is my bias showing.

Me too. You can fix a bad roster with a couple of guys in one class in basketball. Besides I just dont think Texas has nearly the allure we think it does for some hot shit guy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Not the first time TJ has tweeted a subtle diss at Shaka's expense. It's a fine line as there's an unwritten rule among former players and coaches, but I think it hurts them to see so much talent being wasted without any direction or promise of improvement.

plus TJ has stated countless times that his dream, his absolute dream, is to coach at Texas. he actually said that his motivation for getting his degree was so that Barnes could one day hire him at Texas, where he then wanted to eventually succeed Barnes. TJ has to sit here watching this absolute clown just shit all over the program that TJ helped create, which also happens to be his dream job. that has to sting TJ something serious

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2

John Beilein is the only answer as far as I'm concerned. Who cares if he's old, he'll at least give us 5+ years of an aesthetically pleasing and successful product while he's here. Plus he has the added bonus of no buyout needed to hire him. Shit maybe we can see if Royal will work as a coach in waiting under him for a few years. My main reservation with Ivey is he's coached with less than stellar coaches and organizations during his time in the NBA.  The comparison to Juwan Howard fails to factor in that Howard worked for over a decade (as a player coach and assistant coach) for the premiere organization (outside of the Spurs) in professional basketball when to comes to the combination of developing players and high level tactics. Ivey just hasn't been around near that same level of competent coaching and orgs as I'd like to see in a guy who doesn't have head coaching experience. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Durant is the ultimate beta - left OKC to sign with GS after choking away a 3-1 lead.

spacer.png

We should put to a vote which one of you never gets to associate yourself with the Longhorns again. That should go well for you.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Durant is the ultimate beta - left OKC to sign with GS after choking away a 3-1 lead.

spacer.png

Part of what makes Surly great is the absence of this bullshit.   Straight up Cowherd/ Screamin A Smith potstirring/ trolling.

Gotdam, not even the fans of rival schools post shit this stupid about UT(alums.)

23 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

We should put to a vote which one of you never gets to associate yourself with the Longhorns again. That should go well for you.

Lol he gravy trained a ring from the Warriors and then created a Twitter burner account to try to defend himself from randoms calling him out on it. This would be like if Jordan left the Bulls to sign with the Pistons. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Fuck You 8

10 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Lol he gravy trained a ring from the Warriors and then created a Twitter burner account to try to defend himself from randoms calling him out on it. This would be like if Jordan left the Bulls to sign with the Pistons. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Smart move changing the subject. We could likely limit the vote to your immediate family and the results wouldn't change.

32 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

King Rice at Monmouth is a good under the radar coach but I’m biased 

Not saying we should hire him FTR 

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886qfkbvqofg1ltjjmmdi

he's 161-154 in 10 seasons at Monmouth with a total of two NIT appearances and one NIT win. you're such an insufferable fucking moron who talks so much shit, and this is someone who you think we should look at. get the fuck out of here. 

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

King Rice at Monmouth is a good under the radar coach but I’m biased 

Not saying we should hire him FTR 

This is a truly terrible idea, and you also wanted to keep Shaka as of a week ago, so I think we’ll pass on your coaching takes.

You should probably stick to the I told you so thread. That’s more your speed. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 1

This is a truly terrible idea, and you also wanted to keep Shaka as of a week ago, so I think we’ll pass on your coaching takes.

I wanted to keep Shaka a week ago, too...

And had he won 2 games in the tourney, I'd still say let him keep rolling... But he didn't, so I'm not.

56 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Might as well be on the same level of the yearnings for Tad Boyle to me. Yet for some reason, Tad Boyle has been taken seriously by some on here. 

6 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I read a column today that suggested that Shaka is a candidate for the Indiana job.

They’re trying to return to their former glory. Not dump the Exxon Valdez onto the flaming dumpster 

• Hook 'Em 2