UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

40 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Notsureifserious.gif. I think you are conflating revenue generating sports and their specific bank of donors with non revenue generating sports and theirs.

LMAO.  If the BOR and Hartzell say we can afford $7M annual, we can afford $7M annual.  I'm not asking questions.  

I love it when Texas fans get fussy about coaching salaries.  They are completely inconsequential.  Pay 'em, don't pay 'em, I don't care, but it's not causing my daughter's tuition to jump if we throw money at Chris Beard.  It's just not.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

LMAO.  If the BOR and Hartzell say we can afford $7M annual, we can afford $7M annual.  I'm not asking questions.  

I love it when Texas fans get fussy about coaching salaries.  They are completely inconsequential.  Pay 'em, don't pay 'em, I don't care, but it's not causing my daughter's tuition to jump if we throw money at Chris Beard.  It's just not.

Gagreed.

Also love it when people say they're being paid X to underachieve.  As if it would somehow be better if they were paid X/2 or X/3, or even X/10.

15 minutes ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

He was interested in the Marquette gig; not sure if he said no then they went to Shaka or if they went to Shaka instead of him, but they were talking.

If that was the case, the Marquette AD will likely find an angry mob at his door in a few years.

PM had to have turned them down if they went with Shaka so quickly. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

If that was the case, the Marquette AD will likely find an angry mob at his door in a few years.

PM had to have turned them down if they went with Shaka so quickly. 

One wonders if Shaka can grow into a bigtime coaching job.  Have the same wonder about Herman.  I have a suspicion that Herman may figure it out, but he may also have a drinking problem that holds the key to him figuring it out.

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yup.

CDC went to the BOR and has asked for and gotten:

Half a million per for a softball coach
Half a million per for a track coach
Almost 2 million per for a WBB coach

I don't think he's scared to go ask them for $6-7m for Beard. 

2 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

From my Kentucky buddy in DFW

“Rumors are picking up steam in UK chats about Cal to Texas. Saying it’s a real possibility if Texas is willing to spend that much on a basketball coach. They’ve got the money, I’m sure!”

Flying The X Files GIF by Feliks Tomasz Konczakowski

So someone posted that tweet on a UK board and they are talking about it?  Do not want.

If we paid Beard a couple hundred thousand more than Sark, I'd be not surprised.

We'd be paying almost double Sark's salary if we wanted Cal.  He's at what, $8.5 million?  I'd be VERY surprised if Texas did such a thing. 

Edited by Js1

37 minutes ago, Machinator said:

This has the chance to age poorly.

If it does, he will be lower than Pine Box Tommy and David McWilliams combined.

We'll see...

5 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

If Cal wants to leave, no buyout. 

Texas basketball would go from sympathetic figure( rare I know,) to very hateable almost instantly.

Would be fun though, from a Big XII perspective.

Edited by slorch

8 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

How do rumors like calipari to Texas get started and believed to keep getting posted elsewhere? Haha. There’s a 0% chance we hire calipari. 

Kentucky fans who want cal gone because he hasn’t brought them the 7 NCs ala Alabama football like they think they deserve.

45 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

By all means please continue your straw man rant highlighting your poor reading comprehension skills of my initial post.  We are all waiting to hear more.  Fussy? Lol.