UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

As long as Hocutt is at Tech I don't see Beard leaving. He has gotten every single thing he has asked for. Their brand new basketball practice facility (Womble Center) is second to none in the country. He's a top 4 paid coach. He was a play away from a national championship. He is the king of the town.  I just don't see him throwing that away for a little more money.

It would take "stupid" level money to get him I believe and I just don't think Texas would ever do that.

I get the feeling that Beard fucking hates us, despite being a GA here at one point.  They were saying Beard was in contact with the ACU coach before our tourney game and gave them tips on how to shut us down.  Seems like he has that extra fire every time we play against them too.

Id be legit shocked if we got him.

Edited by DiceHands

8 minutes ago, DiceHands said:

I get the feeling that Beard fucking hates us, despite being a GA here at one point.  They were saying Beard was in contact with the ACU coach before our tourney game and gave them tips on how to shut us down.  Seems like he has that extra fire every time we play against them too.

Hate has nothing to do with it.  If talking to the ACU coach and giving some tips would likely result in a million per year raise and a contract extension for me, I’d talk to that coach as well.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, DiceHands said:

They are best friends.  Don't read so much into it.

May be an image of 2 people and outdoors

• Like 2

Hate has nothing to do with it.  If talking to the ACU coach and giving some tips would likely result in a million per year raise and a contract extension for me, I’d talk to that coach as well.

Or help hasten Shaka’s departure so he can get a raise AND the job at his alma mater too!
  • Drool 1

17 minutes ago, DiceHands said:

He cares a shit-ton about paying it forward towards other young coaches.  Look at his own career path and how he was mentored. In his pressers related to these games, he spends a lot of time praising the coaches, as well as their staff, at the smaller programs. You don't get out of Angelo State or UA-LittleRock without some help along the way.  

47 minutes ago, DiceHands said:

I get the feeling that Beard fucking hates us... They were saying Beard was in contact with the ACU coach before our tourney game and gave them tips on how to shut us down.  Seems like he has that extra fire every time we play against them too.

Who is “they”?

⁉️

50 minutes ago, DiceHands said:

Didn't Beard do his post-grad at ACU? 

I'd be shocked if we got him, too, however.

I love coaching searches threads. Yesterday we got tweets it’s a done deal then it’s “I heard he’s already signed an extension at tech” and we’ve got the “meh that’s cool” posts. Just waiti  by for some classic meltdown posts and the cdc fucked it up posts to complete the full rollercoaster ride that frankly I love. Hell I might even start the meltdown posts if I don’t hear something to counter the he already signed an extension posts by 12:30pm. So you got less than two hours Twitter.

• Hook 'Em 2

As long as Hocutt is at Tech I don't see Beard leaving. He has gotten every single thing he has asked for. Their brand new basketball practice facility (Womble Center) is second to none in the country. He's a top 4 paid coach. He was a play away from a national championship. He is the king of the town.  I just don't see him throwing that away for a little more money.
It would take "stupid" level money to get him I believe and I just don't think Texas would ever do that.

The Hocutt connection should not be overlooked

I'm luke warm on Beard.  He has made the championship game and the elite 8 but Shaka made the Final Four before he came here.  Beard overall has a .500 record in conference and the last 2 seasons and he has been .500 in conference overall.  I wasn't a big fan of their Harden style offense this year where McClung would run at someone and throw up a shot to try and get to the free throw line.  I'm not against hiring him but I don't know if he is the final four guarantee that some others seem to think he is.   But I also don't know who would be a better hire for us right now.  

Edited by chemHORN

Ok so I just got off with my friend that lives in Lubbock and has connections around town. He told me he’s heard some rumors going around town that it could go either way and there’s active negotiations going back and forth like a tennis match but he’s like 99.9% McRib is coming back for a limited time offer for Easter. 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

If a coach chooses to stay at Texas Tech over the University of Texas, we're probably better off not getting that coach.

They're weird.  Like Indiana weird with Bob Knight.  Elevating a stupid basketball coach to a God.  The compensation (including benefits and long term incentives) competes with KU and UK.  But, they can't pretend to be a football school when dedicating so much financially to their basketball coach. 

You sometimes get lucky with football hires, get a savant, and keep him around a few years, but Matt Wells is shit and I hope they're stuck with him for as long as possible.

58 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Ok so I just got off with my friend that lives in Lubbock and has connections around town. He told me he’s heard some rumors going around town that it could go either way and there’s active negotiations going back and forth like a tennis match but he’s like 99.9% McRib is coming back for a limited time offer for Easter. 

Peeps McRib is gonna rock.