UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

39 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This. I’m extremely unbothered by it. If Sark wins like he’s expected to, he’ll be a $10 million coach in a couple of years. 

fify

Also, jfc the begging going on in Lubbock is a little pathetic. I'm seeing companies offering him free shit for life. At the end of the day, the only thing we can offer that is substantially different (since Tech is ready to deify him) is the alumnus angle, which would be a big deal to most of us. We'll find out if it's important to him.

Edited by Bevo14

Go all in on Sampson, he's built UH into competitor and looks primed to reach the final 4. Just a hunch that Beard is using Texas as leverage to rake in even more $$$ than he's already making. No thanks to Ivey, loved the guy as a player he played tough defense, but as a head coach he has zero experience to speak of. I constantly see Juwan Howard comparisons, but they're two completely different scenarios. Howard inherited a stacked roster, Ivey would inherit a roster decimated by transfers and players headed to the next level.

• Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

fify

Also, jfc the begging going on in Lubbock is a little pathetic. I'm seeing companies offering him free shit for life. At the end of the day, the only thing we can offer that is substantially different (since Tech is ready to deify him) is the alumnus angle, which would be a big deal to most of us. We'll find out if it's important to him.

come on man it is free marketing 101

when is the last time anyone other than a Dodge Charger/Challenger driver thought about Beef-O-Brady's?.....now they are local heros for trying to keep the coach and same with some random carpet cleaning company (not even CarpetTech)

37 minutes ago, Chad said:

Go all in on Sampson, he's built UH into competitor and looks primed to reach the final 4. Just a hunch that Beard is using Texas as leverage to rake in even more $$$ than he's already making. No thanks to Ivey, loved the guy as a player he played tough defense, but as a head coach he has zero experience to speak of. I constantly see Juwan Howard comparisons, but they're two completely different scenarios. Howard inherited a stacked roster, Ivey would inherit a roster decimated by transfers and players headed to the next level.

Yeah this is a good point and the reason I would be hesitant with Ivey. He would seriously have to depend on assistants who know the college basketball recruiting and transfer landscape. 

And I keep seeing people mention Howard having a stacked roster when he arrived at Michigan.

How Sway?!?!?!

His pg is an Ivy league grad transfer from Columbia in his 1st season with Michigan. His leading scorer is a true freshman. His most talented player Wagner is a sophomore and thus was in high school Beilein's last season. And of the seniors who are actual contributors this season, Livers and Brown (who comes off the bench), are the only two who contributed anything under Beilein. Part of the reason Beilein left college bball for the pros was because players like Jordan Poole and Ignas Brazdeikis unexpectedly bounced off to the league far before they were ready and left his roster obliterated. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Chad said:

Juwan Howard had the good sense to snap up Phil Martelli when St. Joe's decided that they didn't care about basketball any longer. 

Also, your TV show looks terrible, and I can't wait to not watch it. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
Fuck Calvin Simpson in the goatass.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

We’re going to fuck this up, arent we?

I can see where you get this opinion when you read this thread. There is some serious unfettered prognostication here and with out any facts or true inside information, it’s all just keyboard diarrhea.

Shaka to Marquette looked like smart admin move. I hope they planned the next steps prior to making it.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, HookEm said:

I would say Beard has a top-5 resume at this point when you factor in his age. The fact that he is a Texas-Ex is a bonus.

But does his style work at a place like Texas? It has worked at places where he can sell the chip on the shoulder little guy mantra. I think he's a great coach, but still concerned about it translating and not being a Shaka 2.0

Just now, MonkeyDoughnut said:

But does his style work at a place like Texas? It has worked at places where he can sell the chip on the shoulder little guy mantra. I think he's a great coach, but still concerned about it translating and not being a Shaka 2.0

Any style works if you recruit to it. Shaka styles don’t work because he has no style and recruits random guys he likes then makes up different styles every year. 

Now I want beard just to watch the tech fans on here pretend they aren’t bothered by it. Fuck tech and that shit hole Lubbock. The only thing that’s good about Lubbock was banging the daddy issues chicks that go to tech and by go to tech I mean couldn’t get into to Texas so went to tech. Truth hurts. Suck a dick.

I can see where you get this opinion when you read this thread. There is some serious unfettered prognostication here and with out any facts or true inside information, it’s all just keyboard diarrhea.
Shaka to Marquette looked like smart admin move. I hope they planned the next steps prior to making it.

If they weren’t extending him, what do you think? This isn’t rocket science.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if we put the full court press on Beard and he is even seriously considering turning down the job, then he's got to be thinking about staying at TTU for life. that makes this a bigger decision for him than some are making it out to be. this isn't just, "should i leave my current job for a different job", this is, "one of the best jobs in the country has come open and they are throwing all kinds of shit at me to get me to take it. if i turn this down now then what else is suddenly going to open up that gets me to leave Lubbock?" that's beyond just leaving one job for a different one- this could be a decision for his next 20+ years.

also, the fact that TTU has not announced an extension gives me hope that Beard in fact has been named the guy, and that we're  simply waiting until the first to announce it. 

Edited by shadow_operative

18 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Any style works if you recruit to it. Shaka styles don’t work because he has no style and recruits random guys he likes then makes up different styles every year. 

Well he had a style, that got him the Texas job. He chose to abandon his coaching philosophy upon coming here.

I wonder if that came up in the interview process. 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Now I want beard just to watch the tech fans on here pretend they aren’t bothered by it. Fuck tech and that shit hole Lubbock. The only thing that’s good about Lubbock was banging the daddy issues chicks that go to tech and by go to tech I mean couldn’t get into to Texas so went to tech. Truth hurts. Suck a dick.

Where the fuck did you get that idea.  It would be the worst thing possible for Tech basketball this side of the death penalty/ major sanctions.  I haven't read anyone saying it wouldn't fucking matter if Beard leaves.  It would suck tremendously.

Like that better?  

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Well, don't have to worry about Indiana competing.

This has me a bit worried since in theory we should be going after similar candidates and I'm sure they made runs at some candidates on our list. Maybe they don't have as much money to offer after the 10 mil buyout, maybe the Texas job is a bit more appealing because of pressure, new facilities, money, and location like some such as Sam Vecenie have posited. Once Texas opened up maybe Beard told them no, knowing he had a more preferred option to leave for.

Comparing Woodson to Howard's situations feels kinda silly given context. It'd be interesting if poaching a former alumni from an NBA staff truly becomes a trend should we choose Ivey.

Just now, slorch said:

Where the fuck did you get that idea.  It would be the worst thing possible for Tech basketball this side of the death penalty/ major sanctions.  I haven't read anyone saying it wouldn't fucking matter if Beard leaves.  It would suck tremendously.

Like that better?  

Frankly, the most exciting thing about getting Beard to me is the absolute meltdown we'd be able to witness.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Teryor said:

Frankly, the most exciting thing about getting Beard to me is the absolute meltdown we'd be able to witness.

You're worried more about Tech fans than the winning he'd bring?   SMDH...

Edited by slorch

6 minutes ago, slorch said:

You're worried more about Tech fans than the winning he'd bring?   SMDH...

I've been very open about the fact that I hate his style of play and I'm concerned about how many players he runs off every year. I am well aware that my opinion of him is much lower than almost everyone else here. I think there are better candidates who can win just as much that I'd enjoy watching more. I wouldn't be mad if we got him, since I do think he's a very good coach, I just prefer others.

Edited by Teryor
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Machinator said:

(Gerry Hamilton) Basketball Coaching Hot Board: Interview process underway

Reveal hidden contents

Chris Del Conte and staff have begun the interview process in search of the next head basketball coach at the University of Texas.

On Friday, Inside Texas released the first coaching hot board with Chris Beard as the leading candidate followed by Dana Altman and Royal Ivey.

These are the names IT had been mentioning following the Texas loss to Abilene Christian in the Round of 64, and continues to hear as the top choices.

HC Chris Beard, Texas Tech: We've called him the 'Urban Meyer' of the search, but that was just our way of saying he appears to be the top choice. We view Beard as more attainable than Meyer, and in a world that never experienced Covid, he might already be the head man in Austin. That's if you believe Covid saved Smart's job last year (it likely did). There's mutual interest between Beard and UT, but IT is also continues to hear Arizona, if the Wildcats move on from Sean Miller, would have Beard at the top of the list. Beard’s buyout has been a key topic of discussion, and on April 1st that number would drop from $5million to $4million for the Horns. Beard likes to re-up his contract frequently so you'd have to wonder if he'd use Indiana or Arizona to drive the price too high for Texas.

If Beard wants the job, he'll be the next head coach almost assuredly.That has not changed since Friday.

Beard by the season prior to Texas Tech:
2012-13 McMurry 19-10
2013-14 Angelo State 19-9
2014-15 Angelo State 28-6 (NCAA DII third round)
2015-16 Arkansas Little Rock 30-5 (1st in Sun Belt Conference, Round of 32 in NCAA Tournament)

At Texas Tech:
2016-17: 18-14, 6-12 in Big 12
2017-18: 27-10, 11-7 in Big 12 (NCAA Tournament Elite Eight)
2018-19: 31-7, 14-4 (T-1 Big 12 Regular Season) NCAA Final Four and runner up to Virginia
2019-20: 18-13, 9-9 in Big 12
2020-21: 18-11, 9-8 in Big 12 (NCAA Round of 32)

NBA draft picks recruited by Beard at Texas Tech:
SG Zhaire Smith - 2018 1st round (16th)
SG Jarrett Culver - 2019 1st round (6th)
PG Jahmi’us Ramsey - 2020 2nd round (43rd)

Beard’s agent is Bret Just, the same agent that represents Shaka Smart.

HC Dana Altman, Oregon: Altman led the Ducks to a #1 overall seed in 2016 but lost to OU in the Elite Eight. A year later he atoned by taking a 3-seed Ducks team to the Final Four. Before Oregon, he spent over 15 years at Creighon. He has the Ducks playing in the Sweet Sixteen today taking on Pac 12 rival USC. His name has circulated behind the scenes for some time at Texas, and particularly by Del Conte. Though we don't believe money is a huge factor, he would be considerably more affordable than Beard. Oklahoma could also pursue Altman once the Ducks season has ended.

Altman early years:
1989-90 Marshall 15-13
1990-94 Kansas State 68-54 (0-1 in NCAA Tournament)

Altman at Creighton 1994-2010:
327-176 (182-106 in Missouri Valley play)
3 Missouri Valley Conference titles
11 20+ win seasons
7 NCAA Tournament appearances (2-7 in NCAA Tournament)

Altman at Oregon 2010-:
280-109 (132-66 in Pac-12 play)
4 Pac-12 regular seasons titles
11 straight 20+ win seasons
7 NCAA Tournament appearances
2016-17 Final Four
2015-16 Elite Eight
2012-13 Sweet 16
2018-19 Sweet 16
2020-21 Sweet 16

NBA draft picks recruited by Altman at Oregon:
G Joe Young - 2015 2nd round (43rd)
F Dillon Brooks - 2017 2nd round (45th)
SG Damyean Dotson - 2017 2nd round (44th)
SG Tyler Dorsey - 2017 2nd round (41st)
PF Jordan Bell - 2017 2nd round (38th)
SF Troy Brown Jr. - 2018 1st round (15th)
C Bol Bol - 2019 2nd round (44th)
PG Payton Pritchard - 1st round (26th)

Royal Ivey, Brooklyn Nets: IT has been mentioning Ivey because the push from his NBA contemporaries is being listened to by Chris Del Conte. He's not just paying TJ Ford, Kevin Durant, et al, lip service. Sources IT talks to believes Ivey has future NBA head coach upside. Ivey is expected to interview today, or Monday.

The Ivey file:
39 years old
Lightly recruited. Rob Lanier’s evaluation led to Texas beating out Marist
Played in 133 games, starting 126 games at Texas.
The Longhorns record Ivey’s four years in the program was 98-36, including 48-17 in Big 12 play. Ivey was the leader of teams that advanced to the 2003 Final Four and Sweet 16’s in 2002 and 2004.
NBA second round selection (37th overall) in 2004.
Played 10 seasons in the NBA
Assistant coach in the Oklahoma City Thunder organization from 2014-18
Assistant coach with the New York Knicks 2018-20
Assistant coach with the Brooklyn Nets currently

*Note on John Calipari:
Calipari reached out to a former Texas coach this week to talk about the University of Texas, and the Texas basketball program. IT does not believe Calipari is a serious candidate at this time.

We'll add more names if it's merited.

Gerry on names that have received "chatter" but don't belong on a serious list as of today:

Reveal hidden contents

Chatter has included John Beilein, Porter Moser, Kenny Payne and Mike Boynton. IT is not ready to add any to the serious list - as of today.

On potential assistants for an Ivey staff

Reveal hidden contents

Ivey's interview will be very interesting in terms of who he would tell Texas is on his list of potential assistants. There will be one position that has head coaching experience (IT has heard Steve Prohm and Danny Manning as possibilities). Terrence Rencher and Russ Springmann have been mentioned as potentials on a staff, along with a couple of assistants on teams still playing in the NCAA Tournament.

He also followed up with an article stating Cal had no buyout. While this is still has a .01% chance of happening it is a lot easier to hit $8+ million with no buyouts to he or Shaka. Especially if they can get Ivey on staff and get some kind of financial assistance from Iveys buddies. 

9 minutes ago, slorch said:

Like that better?  

i thought so natalie wood GIF

2 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

He also followed up with an article stating Cal had no buyout. While this is still has a .01% chance of happening it is a lot easier to hit $8+ million with no buyouts to he or Shaka. Especially if they can get Ivey on staff and get some kind of financial assistance from Iveys buddies. 

I would be down with this just to validate basketball twitter squid

1 minute ago, Teryor said:

I've been very open about the fact that I hate his style of play and I'm concerned about how many players he runs off every year. I am well aware that my opinion of him is much lower than almost everyone else here. I think there are better candidates who can win just as much that I'd enjoy watching more. I wouldn't be mad if we got him, since I do think he's a very good coach, I just prefer others.

And you are very fucking wrong in your analysis, especially with regard to player churn.  They know coming in he is going to coach them hard.  It is part of his sales pitch and absolutely a foundation of his teams' culture.  The transfers damned sure aren't shying away.  Neither are talented high school kids.

You want to hang your hat on 5* washout/ head cases who disappear when they don't get what they think they deserve?  Sounds like you should buy a Marquette shirt.

5 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Yep. and then when they replace Beard, hire that guy as an assistant. Let's drag some nuts. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Chad said:

Let's not forget Juan Howard had a much better college and NBA resumes as a player. He was a household name when he was hired, which makes it easier to recruit. I don't think Ivey would have that kind of a pull with high school players, most of whom probably never heard of him. The fact that he is loved by former players is not necessarily a strength as a coach. It just means it will be harder to fire him if he doesn't work out. The plan should be to stick with a proven HC. We can't afford to gamble any more.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, slorch said:

And you are very fucking wrong in your analysis, especially with regard to player churn.  They know coming in he is going to coach them hard.  It is part of his sales pitch and absolutely a foundation of his teams' culture.  The transfers damned sure aren't shying away.  Neither are talented high school kids.

You want to hang your hat on 5* washout/ head cases who disappear when they don't get what they think they deserve?  Sounds like you should buy a Marquette shirt.

That's fine, that's just my opinion which doesn't count for shit. But he absolutely does have more transfers than your average program, and you can talk about how some of them couldn't cut it, but if that's true he does a poor job of communicating expectations. Most of all though:

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Who are your preferences ??

11 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

plan should be to stick with a proven HC.

As interesting as it is to speculate on Ivey + Beilein or Ivey + top shelf proven college assistants, this might be an opportune moment, given the budget blessing from Shaka’s “voluntary departure” for Marquette, to go down the “devil you know” route. 

Don’t believe Beard will leave Tech though, but I guess we will know Thursday. As for the rest of the “proven HCs” I’m sure all have some baggage but WTF. If you want to win, you have to play like every other winning program or don’t complain about losing.

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Who are your preferences ??

I prefer Musselman and Beilein. I had been attracted to Altman too but the potential rape cover is definitely not a great look. Of the options we've gone over I don't see any as duds and it's definitely just personal preference stylistically. Obviously winning comes first but I don't see any of these just being fun to watch losers. 

I’m still against the Bielein option Bc he’s old. I want someone to come in here and get it rolling for 10+ years. Him and Sampson are too old. Not sure they have it in them to deal with Texas for 5 years. 

And I can’t spell his name correctly, ever. 

• Haha 1

Yeah, with Beilein, we are looking at a new hire in 5 years or so. 

With Altman, he's achieving Barnes like success at a school that is equal to Texas stature wise and can match any money Texas throws at him.  Unless he just hates Eugene and wants a new challenge, I don't know why he'd leave. 

Since 2012, Altman has done the following:

S16
EE
FF
S16
S16 (so far)

5 hours ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

I think Beard is out.  There’s not much we can offer him that he doesn’t have at Tech.  He’s got the definition of job security there, he’s going to get a statue built of him there and be in their hall of fame and he doesn’t strike me as a big city guy anyways.  There’s also no way in hell the Texas basketball coach will make more money than the Texas football coach and that’s what it would take to get him here. 

I think the only way Beilein comes is the guys is if they convince Royal to be a HCIW type deal.  Because of social media and the amount of information out, there’s 0 chance every basketball player/student athlete wouldn’t know why he left Cleveland and the situation that happened there.  With the way campus has been with the eyes and the fact that Shaka was a black head coach, you’d have to find a way to navigate that. I think bringing in Royal with him would ease some of that with current and ex players. Maybe I’m over exaggerating that but I don’t think I am. 

I still think it’ll be someone we haven’t seen yet.  I have some hope that we’ll pull someone out of nowhere like Vic with the women’s team. CDC did a hell of a job on that one with literally no one knowing what was going on. 

Geno auriama 

5 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I took a shit at the buddy holly museum once. 

I broke my ankle in the parking lot of the Coliseum in 1985 attempting (unsuccessfully) to execute a gainer out of the bed of a pickup following an Iron Maiden concert, so this hits close to home...

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Who let this idiot off TexAgs

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Chad said:

Given the extra year and how many players are going to be in the transfer portal, the right coach could completely turn our 21-22 roster around...

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

if we put the full court press on Beard and he is even seriously considering turning down the job, then he's got to be thinking about staying at TTU for life. that makes this a bigger decision for him than some are making it out to be. this isn't just, "should i leave my current job for a different job", this is, "one of the best jobs in the country has come open and they are throwing all kinds of shit at me to get me to take it. if i turn this down now then what else is suddenly going to open up that gets me to leave Lubbock?" that's beyond just leaving one job for a different one- this could be a decision for his next 20+ years.

also, the fact that TTU has not announced an extension gives me hope that Beard in fact has been named the guy, and that we're  simply waiting until the first to announce it. 

Sounds pretty close to accurate. I think it’s in the final details stage. Unless Tech comes with something incredible Texas backs away from, I’m looking forward to next week

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I’m still against the Bielein option Bc he’s old. I want someone to come in here and get it rolling for 10+ years. Him and Sampson are too old. Not sure they have it in them to deal with Texas for 5 years. 

And I can’t spell his name correctly, ever. 

So much this. He didnt bail on Mich for another team in cbb, he bailed on cbb because he was sick of the roster churn and recruiting. Why the fuck would we hire a 68 year old dude that just quit his last college gig when we need a complete roster/program rebuild. I haven't even heard a quote from him that indicates he wants to coach cbb again, so I'm not particularly worried.  

1 minute ago, Revolution512 said:

Sounds pretty close to accurate. I think it’s in the final details stage. Unless Tech comes with something incredible Texas backs away from, I’m looking forward to next week

Yup. Rumored head coach for life extension and no announcement? It would be covered between every S16 game.  And even if they were finishing petty details for apparel and facilities stuff, they’d still announce it if it was done. 

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yup. Rumored head coach for life extension and no announcement? It would be covered between every S16 game.  And even if they were finishing petty details for apparel and facilities stuff, they’d still announce it if it was done. 

Well CDCs last hire maximized air time by being announced during the CFB final. Getting a huge name to the week of the final 4 wouldn't be out of his wheelhouse. 

1 minute ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Well CDCs last hire maximized air time by being announced during the CFB final. Getting a huge name to the week of the final 4 wouldn't be out of his wheelhouse. 

I meant Tech announcing an extension.  Think Texas will wait on the 4/1 date for the buyout to drop