UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

Just now, Laxtonto said:

It could very well be one of those “tell me your vision of the program  in 10 minutes or less” deals with them telling him they have our #1 choice already lined up, but this is what we are looking for in case this goes tits up or in case this guys blows it in the near future. That way everyone Is on the same page and it gives Ivey a legitimate “in” the next go around.

Essentially a courtesy call and a way to feel out him for the future in case their option #1 implodes and they have to really do a search.

Sure. Or if the university and Beard have already come to a verbal agreement and are just waiting until April to spring the news, but it still would've been nice to give Ivey a serious look. Hiring him would go against everything I've preached about, but I love the guy and have an irrational hunch he'd do well for us.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, TxTower said:

If they weren’t extending him, what do you think? This isn’t rocket science.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you take the thread in as a whole, it's schizophrenic. Maybe a mod can start a betting pool and poll to see who comes out on top.

16 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

15-20 minutes? the fuck? there is no reasonable explanation for that. that's insulting. 

Unless it was just preliminary or something. Like hey- do you have any interest?  What is your comp needs?  Why don’t you gather some thoughts on this/that/the other and we will get back with you with all our decision makers in the room. 
which would be odd, but who the duck knows for sure. 

32 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Sure. Or if the university and Beard have already come to a verbal agreement and are just waiting until April to spring the news, but it still would've been nice to give Ivey a serious look. Hiring him would go against everything I've preached about, but I love the guy and have an irrational hunch he'd do well for us.

Yeah, this is where I'm at.  I can't explain why I think he'd be a good coach with out going all Pepe Silvia, but I just have a feeling he'd do well here.

Edited by atomheartbevo

9 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

come on man it is free marketing 101

when is the last time anyone other than a Dodge Charger/Challenger driver thought about Beef-O-Brady's?.....now they are local heros for trying to keep the coach and same with some random carpet cleaning company (not even CarpetTech)

I was told there would be no business foundations

Edited by Bevo14

7 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

But does his style work at a place like Texas? It has worked at places where he can sell the chip on the shoulder little guy mantra. I think he's a great coach, but still concerned about it translating and not being a Shaka 2.0

Are.  You.  Fucking.  High?  Since when did we reinvent the basketball wheel?  Just win, Baby.  Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, Indiana and Arizona all LOVE  the guy.  But we're smarter than they are about basketball.  Holy fucking heaven.  Just pay the man.  He is a proven winner.  Only Surly could work itself into knots over this.   He is a much more proven commodity than Sark.  Worry about Sark.  Pay Chris Beard.  Sweet Jesus in the morning!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, this is where I'm at.  I can't explain why I think he'd be a good coach with out going all Pepe Silvia, but I just have a feeling he'd do well here.

Same. Part of me is like, we're a football school so WTF not roll the dice knowing you're either going to catch lightening in a bottle or hiring a new coach in two years ... the realist is like make the smart choice and don't risk burning bridges with a proven, great coach. Rationally, Ivey does have the resume to run a multi-million-dollar business, which is a big part of the head guy's job.

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

“What would you say is your biggest weakness?”

“Well, Mr. Del Conte, I’d say my biggest weakness is wasting my time with punk ass bitches who don’t really want to hire me and are just using me to check a box.  I have been way too patient with people like that in the past, so I’m trying to improve by just telling them to eat a bag of dicks and stop wasting my motherfucking time.”

”Ok, thanks for coming in.  We will validate your parking, and don’t forget to check out the bouncy castle on Bevo Boulevard.  Please don’t tell KD about this until after his check clears.” 

I love how people just make all sorts of assumptions off of limited information. Wheeeeee!!!!!!

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, cafe society said:

Are.  You.  Fucking.  High?  Since when did we reinvent the basketball wheel?  Just win, Baby.  Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, Indiana and Arizona all LOVE  the guy.  But we're smarter than they are about basketball.  Holy fucking heaven.  Just pay the man.  He is a proven winner.  Only Surly could work itself into knots over this.   He is a much more proven commodity than Sark.  Worry about Sark.  Pay Chris Beard.  Sweet Jesus in the morning!

So, we've reached out to the athletic directors from all of the above schools and have heard that they all want to hire this guy to be their coach. And these guys are infallible, so they'd never make a bad coaching hire? 

Or you're just guessing that their loudest message board fans think he'd be a great fit at their schools because he's young and has reached a final four before?

Kentucky, Indiana, Arizona have all been in the coaching weeds recently because they picked wrong. Duke has been great since Coach K got hired, but who knows what happens when he's done. Kansas and Carolina hit it out of the park on their last hires - Dean to Roy and Roy to Self, but Indiana has been shitty since they fired Knight and once great teams like UCLA and Arkansas have been wandering the desert for forever. 

There's just no guarantee that a coaching hire is going to work out, even if you are a blue blood basketball school. 

• Hook 'Em 1

There sure is a lot of angst over one unverified report that there was an official interview that only lasted 15-20 minutes.  Was that handheld or FAT, and had the timing devices been recently calibrated?  We have zero idea of what was actually discussed.  We have zero confirmation regarding the length of the interview.  There have been zero reports that either side is in any way upset by the interview. 

Does every coaching search have to be like this? 

NARRATOR: It does.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

The longer this goes without Tech announcing anything, the better it looks for us

100% agree. There’s no value in Tech waiting to announce this special mega head coach for life extension, honorary mayor of Lubbock title and Beard’s newfound ability to fuck any man’s wife within the city limits.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Js1 said:

100% agree. There’s no value in Tech waiting to announce this special mega head coach for life extension, honorary mayor of Lubbock title and Beard’s newfound ability to fuck any man’s wife within the city limits.

Don't want to barter against ourselves. First offer, prima nocta

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The longer this goes, the more opportunity there is for 1) Tech to pull together an attractive enough response to Beard's demands (some of it likely requires a little more time) and 2) the Portal is churning.  Guys will start flying off the board - a lot of the frontline guys have already committed.  So, something gets announced in the next few days.  There is no reason to sit on it.  I think the April 1st buyout date is key, but it's less than 3 days away now, so in the immediate term, it's not that important.