UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

IT

Spoiler

CHRIS BEARD

IT spoke at length with two sources that have a relationship with Chris Beard. The first source said Beard has mentioned in the last couple of years that being at a Nike school is of major significance. Add in the Kevin Durant factor and Texas is very attractive as a Nike school to Beard.

Beard understands the recruiting value of being at a powerful Nike school, and doesn’t feel like he’s working at full recruiting ability with Under Armour being Texas Tech’s outfitter. Should Beard leave for Texas, this is an important reason why even though it’s not talked about as much as salary and contract length.

A second source commented on all the Beard “dream school” chatter on the internet. This source never once heard Beard say that Texas Tech or Texas was his “dream school,” and this source was around Beard on a daily basis for a number of years.

The source also said Beard wouldn’t make a decision on the notion of a “dream school.” He’s going to coach where he feels like he has everything in place to win and maximize his program. Bottom line. That includes facilities, salary pool for assistants and support staff, shoe company to maximize recruiting, absolute commitment to maximizing a basketball program, etc.

This source also said that whether Beard is at Texas Tech or Texas, there is no guarantee that either will have him locked up long term. When Roy Williams retires, North Carolina will be a real threat. As could Kansas if that job opens in the next few years.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/27/2021 at 4:43 PM, Wiler77 said:

Grant McCasland.

I went to Junior High and a year of high school with him.  We were pretty good friends back in the day.  He lived around the corner from me, and we carpooled to baseball, basketball, and football together.  He coached JD Lewis in JuCo, and when JD committed to Texas, I saw who his head coach was and dropped Grant a note.  Super nice guy, smart, high energy.  I wish he'd get an interview here--I think he'd kill it at Texas.  But I can't imagine we hire another coach without P5 experience in either football or basketball for the foreseeable future.  And my guess is he gets the job at Baylor whenever Drew decides to leave.  He's a Baylor alum, and his dad was a Baptist preacher.

If Beard comes to Texas, Grant would do good things at Tech, until he moved to Baylor.

Saw a lot of him when he was at MWSU.  Hell of a coach and person.

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT

Hide contents

CHRIS BEARD

IT spoke at length with two sources that have a relationship with Chris Beard. The first source said Beard has mentioned in the last couple of years that being at a Nike school is of major significance. Add in the Kevin Durant factor and Texas is very attractive as a Nike school to Beard.

Beard understands the recruiting value of being at a powerful Nike school, and doesn’t feel like he’s working at full recruiting ability with Under Armour being Texas Tech’s outfitter. Should Beard leave for Texas, this is an important reason why even though it’s not talked about as much as salary and contract length.

A second source commented on all the Beard “dream school” chatter on the internet. This source never once heard Beard say that Texas Tech or Texas was his “dream school,” and this source was around Beard on a daily basis for a number of years.

The source also said Beard wouldn’t make a decision on the notion of a “dream school.” He’s going to coach where he feels like he has everything in place to win and maximize his program. Bottom line. That includes facilities, salary pool for assistants and support staff, shoe company to maximize recruiting, absolute commitment to maximizing a basketball program, etc.

This source also said that whether Beard is at Texas Tech or Texas, there is no guarantee that either will have him locked up long term. When Roy Williams retires, North Carolina will be a real threat. As could Kansas if that job opens in the next few years.

ROYAL IVEY! clap clap clap clap clap ROYAL IVEY! clap clap clap clap clap

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

The longer this goes, the more opportunity there is for 1) Tech to pull together an attractive enough response to Beard's demands (some of it likely requires a little more time) and 2) the Portal is churning.  Guys will start flying off the board - a lot of the frontline guys have already committed.  So, something gets announced in the next few days.  There is no reason to sit on it.  I think the April 1st buyout date is key, but it's less than 3 days away now, so in the immediate term, it's not that important.

I def think we will know by the end of the week.  CDC isn't going to drag this out.  If Beard is truly #1 on his list, he will already have #2 ready to go if Beard says no.  I don't think there will be a hard last minute scramble. 

• Like 1

A couple of logistical reasons why Beard doesn't seem likely to me, neither of which have anything to do with what happens on the court:

1. Hocutt is in some trouble right now; his football hire is failing and the boosters have been starting to talk of rebellion (remember the talk about hiring Briles a few months back) and he needs a W. If he loses Beard - especially to Texas - he might as well log into LinkedIn today. So Hocutt is motivated to keep Beard, and that's probably where (if true) the tenure-type offers are coming from.
  2. Texas paying their basketball coach more than their football coach could backfire for CDC because then Sark & Beard could play off each other every year about why they should be getting paid more than the other guy. If Sark wins 9+ games, he can go to CDC and say he's the big-money earner and deserves 6m+; if Beard follows with a S16 or E8 season, he can say he's winning more than Sark in his field and should leapfrog him again. It gets messy quickly for CDC, and a different basketball hire likely avoids all of this.

Everything about the math for Beard doesn't make sense to me, the smarter play from CDC's POV is likely Ivey where he can sell an alumni returning home for way less cash and less fundraising requirements from boosters. I don't pretend to know what CDC will do but to me the choice is pretty clear, to the point I can see Beard and his April 1 buyout date being a helpful smokescreen that gives CDC time to vet/interview other candidates.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT

Hide contents

CHRIS BEARD

Says a lot about the business of college basketball today that the school’s corporate sponsor for athletic gear could be the deciding factor on where a coach chooses to work. Maybe we could promise him a dozen of those Lil’ NasX Satan shoes that the kids all seem to love. That should help recruiting. 

Edited by Duane Moore
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

Texas paying their basketball coach more than their football coach could backfire for CDC because then Sark & Beard could play off each other every year about why they should be getting paid more than the other guy. If Sark wins 9+ games, he can go to CDC and say he's the big-money earner and deserves 6m+; if Beard follows with a S16 or E8 season, he can say he's winning more than Sark in his field and should leapfrog him again. It gets messy quickly for CDC, and a different basketball hire likely avoids all of this.

I would love this issue

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

A couple of logistical reasons why Beard doesn't seem likely to me, neither of which have anything to do with what happens on the court:

1. Hocutt is in some trouble right now; his football hire is failing and the boosters have been starting to talk of rebellion (remember the talk about hiring Briles a few months back) and he needs a W. If he loses Beard - especially to Texas - he might as well log into LinkedIn today. So Hocutt is motivated to keep Beard, and that's probably where (if true) the tenure-type offers are coming from.
  2. Texas paying their basketball coach more than their football coach could backfire for CDC because then Sark & Beard could play off each other every year about why they should be getting paid more than the other guy. If Sark wins 9+ games, he can go to CDC and say he's the big-money earner and deserves 6m+; if Beard follows with a S16 or E8 season, he can say he's winning more than Sark in his field and should leapfrog him again. It gets messy quickly for CDC, and a different basketball hire likely avoids all of this.

Everything about the math for Beard doesn't make sense to me, the smarter play from CDC's POV is likely Ivey where he can sell an alumni returning home for way less cash and less fundraising requirements from boosters. I don't pretend to know what CDC will do but to me the choice is pretty clear, to the point I can see Beard and his April 1 buyout date being a helpful smokescreen that gives CDC time to vet/interview other candidates.

If CDC can't handle #2, why is he even in charge?

Sorry, I don't see it.

I don't want the risk involved with Ivey.  He could be great, but he could just as easily flame out and then we fall FURTHER behind UH/Baylor/Tech in the pecking order.  And firing him risks his alumni buddies getting upset - we didn't give him a chance, we didn't give him what he needed, blah blah blah. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Don't discount the advantage of taking Beard away from Tech.  That alone will likely get us 2-3 more wins per year.  They aren't going to upgrade from him.

If we get Ivey and Beard stays at Tech, I'm not confident we will dominate them.  

4 minutes ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

I’m not opposed to Ivey. But there is no way that hiring a guy with no head coaching experience and no college coaching experience at all is the “smarter play” versus a guy with proven success and deep tournament runs in the same conference. 

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

If CDC can't handle #2, why is he even in charge?

Sorry, I don't see it.

I don't want the risk involved with Ivey.  He could be great, but he could just as easily flame out and then we fall FURTHER behind UH/Baylor/Tech in the pecking order.  And firing him risks his alumni buddies getting upset - we didn't give him a chance, we didn't give him what he needed, blah blah blah. 

I'm not saying he can't, but I can see why he wouldn't want to deal with it if there's another path available.

Because CDC's stated goal is every program we field to be a top 10 team and the one that is lacking will require a top-tier coach and not a guy with no HC experience.

We are pretty god damn close to that goal - MBB, football and soccer are dragging us down. 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

if it is all about the money and being paid more than the HFC at Texas, he's not coming.

flipside is Hocutt being in trouble could be a partial reason to leave...

37 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Says a lot about the business of college basketball today that the school’s corporate sponsor for athletic gear could be the deciding factor on where a coach chooses to work. Maybe we could promise him a dozen of those Lil’ NasX Satan shoes that the kids all seem to love. That should help recruiting. 

It’s been that way for a long time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT

Hide contents

CHRIS BEARD

IT's "source" apparently missed the Beard Tech introductory news conference (the same one where he called out guest Gerald Myers for not having having his Hot Shot award from when he was 9ys old attending the Meyers basketball camp as a kid).  It get played non-stop.

“This is exactly where I want to be,” Beard said. “This is my dream job. (It) always has been. Today is one of the best days of my life.”  

5 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

IT's "source" apparently missed the Beard Tech introductory news conference (the same one where he called out guest Gerald Myers for not having having his Hot Shot award from when he was 9ys old attending the Meyers basketball camp as a kid).  It get played non-stop.

“This is exactly where I want to be,” Beard said. “This is my dream job. (It) always has been. Today is one of the best days of my life.”  

Do me a favor and find me a coach's introductory press conference, any coach, where he hedged and said or even implied "this is a pretty good job until one I want more comes along". 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Do me a favor and find me a coach's introductory press conference, any coach, where he hedged and said or even implied "this is a pretty good job until one I want more comes along". 

This. Every coach calls it the dream job or the best day of their life.

Until the next dream job comes calling. 

Just now, Red Five said:

Dude should have gone into acting. I don't see how anyone could call Texas Tech their dream anything with a straight face. 

For his acting, have to watching his "Fireside Chat with Chris Beard" series its something he has to continue if he comes here. They're oddly great.

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

100% agree. There’s no value in Tech waiting to announce this special mega head coach for life extension, honorary mayor of Lubbock title and Beard’s newfound ability to fuck any man’s wife within the city limits.

His agent really fucked up if he didn't get Wolfforth included in that last clause, because that's where the top MILFs are in west Texas.

1 hour ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

1. Texas paying their basketball coach more than their football coach could backfire for CDC because then Sark & Beard could play off each other every year about why they should be getting paid more than the other guy. If Sark wins 9+ games, he can go to CDC and say he's the big-money earner and deserves 6m+; if Beard follows with a S16 or E8 season, he can say he's winning more than Sark in his field and should leapfrog him again. It gets messy quickly for CDC, and a different basketball hire likely avoids all of this.

upset the office GIF

• Hook 'Em 3

40 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

There are way better proven options than Ivey like Beilein, Sampson, Musselman, Moser, and Pitino. Why get cute and roll the dice?

Too Old, Cheater, Lateral Move, Uproven Small School, Scumbag. 

Your list ain't necessarily foolproof.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

It's a Cessna twin-turboprop. That's gotta be the Tech bigwigs coming to Austin, begging him to come back to Lubbock.

2 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

A turboprop?  Please!

I didn't say it was a good update, just that it was an update. The flight history shows it's a regular flight, so I'm sure it's totally unrelated.

I'm not endorsing him for the UT job, but it got me to thinking about Kyle Keller at SFA.  I know they were banned from the tourney this year and their conference tourney due to some shady stuff concerning APR.   

The ban comes from a deal reached with the NCAA back in May 2020 after an investigation cited “lack of institutional control” after the department discovered errors made in previous APR reports. In the original KTRE report, errors in APR scores started in 2013 and the NCAA and SFA discovered that 82 student athletes from multiple sports competed when they should have been ruled ineligible. The error was first reported by SFA Athletic Director Ryan Ivey to the NCAA in the spring of 2019 when he first learned of the error that was started under the previous administration. It has been linked back to two employees: a former senior associate athletic director for compliance and former associate athletic director for academics.----    https://www.kltv.com/2021/02/19/ncaa-committee-approves-postseason-ban-sfa-basketball/

So I guess I wonder how much this effected his chances for any movement into coaching in bigger programs.  

1 hour ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

I'm not saying he can't, but I can see why he wouldn't want to deal with it if there's another path available.

Holy fuck. Really? There is no way that’s a factor.

I’m with you I’ve talked myself into Ivey. And despite the reports we talked to him a lot longer than 15 minutes.

• Fuck You 1

15 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Too Old, Cheater, Lateral Move, Uproven Small School, Scumbag. 

Your list ain't necessarily foolproof.

Yeah that’s a terrible list. The only one I’d put above Ivey for sure is Musselman. Maybe Moser.

There’s no way we even consider Sampson or Pitino.