UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

12 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is the story with Scott Drew? Why is he slimy? Buying players? Is he the Art Briles of basketball?

one example: back in 2008 when Baylor was the doormat of the Big XII they gave John Wall's AAU coach a high paying assistant gig, and Wall very nearly chose Baylor over Kentucky, with BU as his runner up. so, if he was ballsy enough to publicly try and buy John Wall back in 2008, then imagine what all BU has done over the years that we don't know about. 

also, Rick Barnes is extremely popular among his coaching peers; he gets along with everyone. he's affable, he's a great story teller, and he holds no punches. he treats people with respect, and people respect him back. except for Drew. Barnes very publicly hated Drew when they were Big XII rivals. he was the only coach I've ever heard Barnes openly talk about negatively. i mean you could see how much Barnes hates Scott Drew. nobody outside of Waco likes him. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

one example: back in 2008 when Baylor was the doormat of the Big XII they gave John Wall's AAU coach a high paying assistant gig, and Wall very nearly chose Baylor over Kentucky, with BU as his runner up. so, if he was ballsy enough to publicly try and buy John Wall back in 2008, then imagine what all BU has done over the years that we don't know about. 

also, Rick Barnes is extremely popular among his coaching peers; he gets along with everyone. he's affable, he's a great story teller, and he holds no punches. he treats people with respect, and people respect him back. except for Drew. Barnes very publicly hated Drew when they were Big XII rivals. he was the only coach I've ever heard Barnes openly talk about negatively. i mean you could see how much Barnes hates Scott Drew. nobody outside of Waco likes him. 

I thought Bobby Knight was going to kill drew. Wish he would have. 

• Hook 'Em 3

52 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Ive heard from a couple different places and I’m sure @bitterwhiteguy could expand on it if he chooses. But supposedly Drew has/had threatened to get an international player deported, or some shit, if he didn’t commit to baylor. Don’t know who the kid was. 

20 minutes ago, theaveragejon said:

Ive heard from a couple different places and I’m sure @bitterwhiteguy could expand on it if he chooses. But supposedly Drew has/had threatened to get an international player deported, or some shit, if he didn’t commit to baylor. Don’t know who the kid was. 

https://www.insidethehall.com/2010/10/12/baylor-in-hot-water-over-perea-recruitment/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Gerry now saying an ACC head coach is trying to get the job. Glad to see Roy Williams finally found the one way to stop losing to Texas 

Got to be the NC St coach that was mentioned earlier right? Not sure who in the ACC that would make much sense

18 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Don't think he's good enough to even be mentioned of he was trying to get the job. 

Out side of Ol’ Roy and Coach K, who am I missing? Leonard Hamilton is a good coach, but not sure I would consider him elite enough to try and push for the job. 

Either we are way overestimating who is a viable option, somebody is trying to leverage a raise, or this makes little sense..

4 minutes ago, royiv said:

CDC and Pastner have a connection that goes back to their days Arizona. 

And that connection should amount to a "hey Josh, how are you? Congrats on your ACC tournament title, pretty cool. Oh no, the position is already filled.  Thanks for your interest" phone call.

167-73 in CUSA/AAC, followed by 82-75 (42-49) at Georgia Tech with 2 postseason misses, 1 postseason ban, NIT runner up and NCAA round of 64.  Thanks, we had that with Shaka. 

12 seasons as a head coach - 2 NCAA wins out of 5 appearances and 2 NIT appearances.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

And that connection should amount to a "hey Josh, how are you? Congrats on your ACC tournament title, pretty cool. Oh no, the position is already filled.  Thanks for your interest" phone call.

167-73 in CUSA/AAC, followed by 82-75 (42-49) at Georgia Tech with 2 postseason misses, 1 postseason ban, NIT runner up and NCAA round of 64.  Thanks, we had that with Shaka. 

12 seasons as a head coach - 2 NCAA wins out of 5 appearances and 2 NIT appearances.  

Don't disagree. Pastner would be a bad hire.

9 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

I can't remember, but I thought Barnes had a beef with Dean Smith, too.

Yeah, my Tar Heel in-laws talked about it all the time when Barnes was here.

The take was that Dean told a Clemson player to do something in a game or complained to the player about something and Rick said don’t ever talk to my players. Maybe some expletives in there...

Tar Heel fans think no one should ever talk to Dean that way and it grew from there
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, TexasEx said:

My tech Facebook “friends” are starting to justify Beard leaving for Texas. “He was brought here to win championships and hasn’t yet. Next man up.”

Anyway, it’s happening. 

Same here. I'm from West Texas and the general vibe on my social media feed has gone from "there's no way he would ever leave here" to "if he is stupid enough to leave here, then maybe he isn't built for this job". These idiots truly think the Tech job is now on the same level of Kansas, Kentucky and UNC. 

This tweet is from a former Tech QB.

https://twitter.com/BJSymons/status/1376591535735775237?s=20

Chris Beard update (mostly non-update) from IT

Spoiler

We’ve heard the Texas Tech head coach wants the job and we think him being the next head coach is the most likely outcome. But it’s not done yet.

We’re in the awkward, quiet period of the courtship. That silence might have something to do with his buyout dropping a million dollars on April 1st. Or it could be over money for his assistant pool.

If the buyout/salary pool isn’t the reason things are quiet, then discussions have hit a snag somewhere else. We’ve heard UT does have the capital to pull this off.

We should see resolution on Beard this week.

If it’s not Beard, Texas still feels good about its options. Royal Ivey is viewed favorably. They like him quite a bit but view Beard as the better candidate as they get ready to enter into a new arena.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, saul silver said:

Same here. I'm from West Texas and the general vibe on my social media feed has gone from "there's no way he would ever leave here" to "if he is stupid enough to leave here, then maybe he isn't built for this job". These idiots truly think the Tech job is now on the same level of Kansas, Kentucky and UNC. 

This tweet is from a former Tech QB.

https://twitter.com/BJSymons/status/1376591535735775237?s=20

Actually if  he was leaving for one of the schools you mention and throw in Duke for good measure; it would make sense to everyone.  The Texas job is not in that category and neither is Tech, but Beard has had basically unlimited support of his program. Therein lies the rub.  Beard has done it in Lubbock.  He doesn’t need UT to win it all.  Itwill not be for moneyif he leaves, and that’s the pisser, if that should indeed, happen.

12 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Chris Beard update (mostly non-update) from IT

Hide contents

We’ve heard the Texas Tech head coach wants the job and we think him being the next head coach is the most likely outcome. But it’s not done yet.

We’re in the awkward, quiet period of the courtship. That silence might have something to do with his buyout dropping a million dollars on April 1st. Or it could be over money for his assistant pool.

If the buyout/salary pool isn’t the reason things are quiet, then discussions have hit a snag somewhere else. We’ve heard UT does have the capital to pull this off.

We should see resolution on Beard this week.

If it’s not Beard, Texas still feels good about its options. Royal Ivey is viewed favorably. They like him quite a bit but view Beard as the better candidate as they get ready to enter into a new arena.

That's the most "$9.95" update ever. 

If he wants the job then it's about the buyout and April 1st. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

I may actually prefer Shaka over Pastner, and we all know how that went. If we have to consider coaches like Pastner to fill this gig, we should never chirp about how  great a gig it is to coach hoops at UT. 

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, slorch said:

Actually if  he was leaving for one of the schools you mention and throw in Duke for good measure; it would make sense to everyone.  The Texas job is not in that category and neither is Tech, but Beard has had basically unlimited support of his program. Therein lies the rub.  Beard has done it in Lubbock.  He doesn’t need UT to win it all.  Itwill not be for moneyif he leaves, and that’s the pisser, if that should indeed, happen.

He's an alumnus, end of story. If the roles were reversed I wouldn't fault him, and not just because I only slightly give a shit about basketball.

Edited by Bevo14

22 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

He's an alumnus, end of story. If the roles were reversed I wouldn't fault him, and not just because I only slightly give a shit about basketball.

Much like tadlock turning down arguably the most prestigious baseball program in the country to stay at his Alma mater, which in that case was bad for us. 

29 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

He built his career at Texas Tech. It doesn’t make a fuck where he graduated college.

1 hour ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

It was Dean Smith and Carolina fans that had an issue with Barnes. 

It's hard to fathom how Scott Drew turned out to be who he is today considering his coaching pedigree.

• Like 1