UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

9 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

hows butler doing since stevens bailed?

beat Texas and Texas Tech in the tourney...

2015 No. 6 Second Round
Third Round
No. 11 Texas
No. 3 Notre Dame
W 56–48
L 64–67 OT
2016 No. 9 First Round
Second Round
No. 8 Texas Tech
No. 1 Virginia
W 71–61
L 69–77
2017 No. 4 First Round
Second Round
Sweet Sixteen
No. 13 Winthrop
No. 12 Middle Tennessee
No. 1 North Carolina
W 76–64
W 74–65
L 80–92
2018 No. 10 First Round
Second Round
No. 7 Arkansas
No. 2 Purdue
W 79–62
L 73–76
Edited by Snacks

4 minutes ago, Snacks said:

beat Texas and Texas Tech in the tourney...

2015 No. 6 Second Round
Third Round
No. 11 Texas
No. 3 Notre Dame
W 56–48
L 64–67 OT
2016 No. 9 First Round
Second Round
No. 8 Texas Tech
No. 1 Virginia
W 71–61
L 69–77
2017 No. 4 First Round
Second Round
Sweet Sixteen
No. 13 Winthrop
No. 12 Middle Tennessee
No. 1 North Carolina
W 76–64
W 74–65
L 80–92
2018 No. 10 First Round
Second Round
No. 7 Arkansas
No. 2 Purdue
W 79–62
L 73–76

Is that good or bad?  Alot of teams have beaten Texas in the tourney. 

Just now, closetohumping said:

Is that good or bad?  Alot of teams have beaten Texas in the tourney. 

I mean, it's not a trip to the Championship game, but Butler hasn't been bad until the last two years...  ie, they did fine after Stevens left in 2013.

10 minutes ago, El Squared said:

IIRC in college ball, most of the tournament winners have had experienced teams, rather than a collection of one and dones, excepting KY , Fab 4/5 etc. maybe I’m wrong.

Though they reached the title game twice, the Fab 5 never won it. Those guys were there at least two seasons (think Webber, Howard and Rose left after SO seasons). As good as Calipari's teams have been he's only won one title at UK. You definitely need an experienced roster to win nearly ever year. You have to go back to 2015 Duke to find a title-winning team where its' best player (Jahlil Okafor) was a one-and-done -- or even relied heavily on one-and-dones. Calipari's 2012 Kentucky team -- with Anthony Davis and Kidd-Gilchrist as freshmen -- is the only other team going back to at least 2000 that won it all with one-and-dones playing as big a role as they did.

Gotta say after watching UH the last few years I would be just fine with Sampson. Getting busted for texting players is so quaint compared to the stuff Pitino and others were doing. 

His guys come out ready to play and get after it. 

Beard leaves me with a Tom Thibideau vibe where he grinds everybody around him into to dust. 

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, El Squared said:

Based on what? Our final 4 in 2003?

Having KD for a year? We have not done better than Tech to this point in BB. We need to win the tournament to claim that brag. Despite all our “advantages” it hasn’t happened . Hopefully we get someone who is capable.

I'm a Baylor grad so I have no dog in this fight. As an outsider it appears there are more advantages in coaching at UT over Tech. Its about finding the right guy. It doesn't mean that the Techs, Baylors and Houstons of the world can't find a great fit and be better than UT more years than not. 

• Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Yeah. Who would have ever guessed Indianapolis would be a hotbed for basketball?

Butler's been competitive since the late 80s and I think much of it is geography and strong coaches.  Since then:

• 1989-2000 Barry Collier (left for Nebraska and is now AD at Butler)
  • 2001 Thad Matta (left for tOSU)
  • 2002-2007 Todd Licklater (left for Iowa)
  • 2008-2013 Brad Stevens (left for the Celtics)
  • 2014 Brandon Miller (lasted 1 year after 14-17 record)
  • 2015-2017 Chris Holtmann (left for Ohio State)
  • 2018-present LaVall Jordan (Butler Alumnus, played for Collier and Matta - has been so-so)

Their first finals runs combined a generational coach (Stevens) with a first round NBA player (Hayward) and a 2nd rounder (Mack).  The 2nd was with Stevens and Mack.

In the Stevens (and earlier) days, about 2/3 of the team is from Indiana.  It dropped to around 1/2 in 2013-2014 and now it's more like 1/3.  Recruiting has evolved since then and with Butler's success, Power5 teams cannot afford to ignore who they are recruiting.  There may be other factors, but there has been a shift away from Indiana.

Hayward was a 3* who received offers from Butler, IUPUI, and Purdue.  Hayward would have seen little playing time as a freshman at Purdue (behind Hummel).  Mack was also a 3* and Butler was his best offer.  Combine those talents with Stevens and....

Edited by boilerhorn

2 minutes ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Stevens makes $3.7M with the Celtics.  Throw $5M (with no state income tax) at him and make him say no.

That's the best "way out there" suggestion I've seen so far.

I *think* he's under contract though 2022, but a $3.7M buyout is feasible.

If "we" are going to break the bank, break it for Stevens, not Beard.

• Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, bullzak said:

Gotta say after watching UH the last few years I would be just fine with Sampson. Getting busted for texting players is so quaint compared to the stuff Pitino and others were doing. 

Beard leaves me with a Tom Thibideau vibe where he grinds everybody around him into to dust. 

I'd take Sampson in a heartbeat. He can coach his ass off and has proven it everywhere he's coached.  If Texas wants the best coach it can afford, Sampson is the answer.  And he's only making $3MM.

He's 65, though... may not coach for much longer, and his wife and son help he run the team today...

28 minutes ago, bullzak said:

It may be quaint, but it got Indiana on probation for 3 seasons. And he's a repeat offender after being investigated for basically the same thing at OU.

There is no way Texas even considers Sampson.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

It may be quaint, but it got Indiana on probation for 3 seasons. And he's a repeat offender after being investigated for basically the same thing at OU.

There is no way Texas even considers Sampson.

Texas has effectively been on self imposed probation for the last 8 years so might as well go with Sampson. Got nothing to lose 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Also, I took Gerry's ACC HC inquiring about the job to not be Pastner since he's no longer a HC.  (FWIW, I still think Josh would inquire because he's who he is and is a Texan.)

The HC I immediately thought of when I read that was Chris Mack.  

8 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Also, I took Gerry's ACC HC inquiring about the job to not be Pastner since he's no longer a HC.  (FWIW, I still think Josh would inquire because he's who he is and is a Texan.)

The HC I immediately thought of when I read that was Chris Mack.  

What?

2 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

So what is it going to be for Texas and Texas Tech fans? Search is just in a holding pattern. I personally would like to see Royal Ivey since I already lived through 6 years of basketball being unwatchable. I could live with 3 more if Ivey does not work out. What I could not live with is a guy that cost us a ton of money and is here for 5 years due to buy out money and somehow starts to suck due to hitting the jackpot. 18-17 in conference in the last two years is worrisome.

april-fools-day-2.jpg

Why do you care what we are paying the coach?  It is not your money.

The amount paid to a new coach should be proportional to the risk of him succeeding here.  I want us to get a good coach who is likely to win.  I don’t want to take a big risk and watch the guy wash out.  Ivy might be great, but there’s a decent chance that he won’t be.  And then you have to fire someone with lots of goodwill among the fan base.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Texas has effectively been on self imposed probation for the last 8 years so might as well go with Sampson. Got nothing to lose 

I'm not arguing should or should not. I'm just stating what they will do. Discussing Sampson (or anyone else with a sketchy history) is as detached from reality as Brad Stevens. It's not going to happen.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, cochamps said:

Why do you care what we are paying the coach?  It is not your money.

The amount paid to a new coach should be proportional to the risk of him succeeding here.  I want us to get a good coach who is likely to win.  I don’t want to take a big risk and watch the guy wash out.  Ivy might be great, but there’s a decent chance that he won’t be.  And then you have to fire someone with lots of goodwill among the fan base.

I care because the bigger the buy out the longer he lingers here if he happens to suck. Especially in BB where the BMDs may not be willing to pay the bill.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

I'm not arguing should or should not. I'm just stating what they will do. Discussing Sampson (or anyone else with a sketchy history) is as detached from reality as Brad Stevens. It's not going to happen.

That plus it’s well known in Houston that Sampson is going to finish his career at UH.  At his age, I just get the sense he wanted one more FF (which he got) and he’s good to go off into retirement.  It might not be this year but it will be soon. 

12 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

IT reporting that Beard is having a meeting with his coaches today but aren't sure if that is an ordinary occurrence or not. 

Just planning who is bringing the chips and dip and who is bringing the beer to the E8 watch party tonight? 

37 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

IT reporting that Beard is having a meeting with his coaches today but aren't sure if that is an ordinary occurrence or not. 

I'm sure they meet regularly, but this one just happens to be after their season is over, 2 days before his buyout drops and with the Texas job open and CDC sending him love notes and flowers and candy on a daily basis.

I'm sure it's nothing

Wink GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Hook 'Em 2

How much is Ivey pulling down at his current gig?

Though from completely different coaching  worlds, Ivey w/ Donovan and Beard a Knight disciple,  would there be any way for him to be an assistant under Beard? Did Beard and Ivey overlap at all at Texas? Wonder in there would be some good synergy in a combination like that if it was feasible and acceptable.

(Yes I am anticipating the Red McCombs reflux comment here, but that’s not my intention.)

2 hours ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Stevens makes $3.7M with the Celtics.

Throw $5M (with no state income tax) at him and make him say no.

You wanna get nuts?  Let's get nuts.

I'm not sure that CDC is gonna give Royal that big of a budget for his assistants. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1