UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

The problem is that the dropoff (on paper) from Beard to the next best attainable candidate might be pretty steep.

We're not poaching from a blue blood. Izzo's, Huggins', Boeheim's, and Hamiltons' next stop is retirement. We're not taking Juwan Howard from his alma mater; same with Matt Painter. We're not touching coaches with NCAA issues at previous stops (Sampson, Pitino). Oats, Musselman, Scott Drew, and Underwood are at schools that will pay up to keep their guys in place (or Texas isn't enough of a step up). Other established championship-contending coaches at non-bluebloods appear to be on "lifer" trajectory (Few, Wright, Bennett). Boynton just signed a major extension.

Where does that leave us? A couple good candidates, and a lot of meh:

Dana Altman (viable alternative, but Oregon/Nike can easily pay up to keep him. There are also those lingering sexual assault issues)

Chris Holtmann (Ohio State can pay up to keep him, and he just suffered the one NCAA upset that was worse than Shaka)

Chris Mack (Louisville can pay up to keep him, but they do they want to? Should we want him if they don't?)

Fran McCaffrey

Greg Gard

Steve Piekell

Andy Enfield

Tad Boyle

Mike White

Cuonzo Martin

Mike Young

Brad Brownell

Greg McDermott

Kevin Willard

Danny Hurley

Bobby Hurley

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The problem is that the dropoff (on paper) from Beard to the next best attainable candidate might be pretty steep.

We're not poaching from a blue blood. Izzo's, Huggins', Boeheim's, and Hamiltons' next stop is retirement. We're not taking Juwan Howard from his alma mater; same with Matt Painter. We're not touching coaches with NCAA issues at previous stops (Sampson, Pitino). Oats, Musselman, Scott Drew, and Underwood are at schools that will pay up to keep their guys in place (or Texas isn't enough of a step up). Other established championship-contending coaches at non-bluebloods appear to be on "lifer" trajectory (Few, Wright, Bennett). Boynton just signed a major extension.

Dana Altman (viable alternative, but Oregon/Nike can easily pay up to keep him. There are also those lingering sexual assault issues)

Chris Holtmann (Ohio State can pay up to keep him, and he just suffered the one NCAA upset that was worse than Shaka)

Chris Mack (Louisville can pay up to keep him, but they do they want to? Should we want him if they don't?)

Fran McCaffrey

Greg Gard

Steve Piekell

Andy Enfield

Tad Boyle

Mike White

Cuonzo Martin

Mike Young

Brad Brownell

Greg McDermott

Kevin Willard

Danny Hurley

Bobby Hurley

image.gif.82c586b7a8f713b85f5f68bcc873229b.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Hornlover said:

Probably folly at this point, but I looked at every single coach that has been to the Sweet 16 over the last 5 tournaments. Of the 46 coaches, 31 are not under consideration (won't leave, too scummy, sucks, too old, etc.). That leaves 15 coaches that could be possible. Some of them may also be too slimy, too shitty, or not leaving their current position for Texas, but it's worth at least kicking the tires on them. 

Otherwise, we are either grabbing a coach that hasn't been to the Sweet 16 recently (like Ritchie McKay or Joe Golding) or doesn't coach in college (Royal Ivey). 

image.png.129d8370b8e09dfc22bf60d9794c14a9.pngimage.png.d21f73fb7f4790d6fe985993747cb143.png

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Fran McCaffrey

Greg Gard

Steve Piekell

Andy Enfield

Tad Boyle

Mike White

Cuonzo Martin

Mike Young

Brad Brownell

Greg McDermott

Kevin Willard

Danny Hurley

Bobby Hurley

I'll quote myself, as I came to basically the same conclusion as you. Unless we get into a serious money-whip situation, we either go for an up-and-comer that hasn't achieved much, or hope one of the few non-lifers is better than they appear to be.

11 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Fran McCaffrey

Greg Gard

Steve Piekell

Andy Enfield

Tad Boyle

Mike White

Cuonzo Martin

Mike Young

Brad Brownell

Greg McDermott

Kevin Willard

Danny Hurley

Bobby Hurley

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Fran McCaffrey

Greg Gard

Steve Piekell

Andy Enfield

Tad Boyle

Mike White

Cuonzo Martin

Mike Young

Brad Brownell

Greg McDermott

Kevin Willard

Danny Hurley

Bobby Hurley

In other words, it’s Beard or Ivey. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Fuck it. All these lists of coaches are so uninspiring that not only are none of them home runs, few of them seem even better than a double. Might as well give Ivey a chance. He can start from scratch and build a new team culture with his own degree of east coast toughness and grind, backed by endorsements and buy-in of Texas' not inconsiderable NBA fraternity. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

I think you make a move on Musselman, even if its just to spite Arkansas which will please redass BMDs. But also leverage Beard.

Musselman makes 2.5 per. Float an interview and ballpark figure with him and see Beard’s agent soften.

Yes! Yes!! This dude is available at 3. something I bet.  Who would be unhappy with this guy?  He should be in the top 3 I would think. 

42 minutes ago, Nowhichski said:

Fuck it. All these lists of coaches are so uninspiring that not only are none of them home runs, few of them seem even better than a double. Might as well give Ivey a chance. He can start from scratch and build a new team culture with his own degree of east coast toughness and grind, backed by endorsements and buy-in of Texas' not inconsiderable NBA fraternity. 

Home run hires don’t exist outside of rare occasions and only a few schools can make them happen. North Carolina can pull Roy Williams. Kentucky can pull Calipari (and he only has 1 championship), we’re not one of the schools who can make home run hires. We have to gamble one way or another on someone with upside and pray for the best.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

I think you make a move on Musselman, even if its just to spite Arkansas which will please redass BMDs. But also leverage Beard.

Musselman makes 2.5 per. Float an interview and ballpark figure with him and see Beard’s agent soften.

I live in Arkansas, he wouldn’t even answer the phone. He is a god here.

11 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

Listened to the EGAT podcast with Scipio and Kevin Dunn. This may be already common knowledge on IT, but Paul says he hears Beard’s agent is making a ton of demands, like every NCAAT appearance gets him an extra year extended on the contract. BMD source saying “it’s Beard’s job to lose and he’s really trying to.”  But it does sound like Beard or bust. 

Damn... I considered making the NCAAT the floor for a top 5 paid coach. I'm not kicking in another guaranteed $5M+ "just" for making the tournament.

• Hook 'Em 3

Beard and Missile Man are the only two really good options at this point that are realisitic.

Ivey as HC if we miss on them wouldnt be the worst thing, but its a complete crap shoot and he may even be worse than Shaka.. who knows (yes, i know, its impossible to be any worse than shaka... hur hur hurrrrr). Hiring Ivey as HC for the basketball team is like hiring Traylor as HC of the football team. Itll only happen if we whiff on our first 4 or 5 choices

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Am I the only one that would be excited to "miss" on Beard. Between his brand of basketball and the performance the last couple years I don't think he's a slam dunk hire.

Bring on Ivey and get all the NBA alums back in the picture

First and foremost, I’m happy the Shaka era is over. I’m ecstatic that I don’t have to watch his style of basketball. I’m not too keen on having to start watching Beard style of basketball now (or someone like Tony Bennett for that matter). It’s been fun watching Houston and Arkansas in the tournament and that’s a style of basketball I’d much prefer to watch. Would much rather try for Musselman or Sampson. If not one of those guys, I’d prefer a relatively cheap Royal Ivey rather than overpay for Beard.

• Hook 'Em 4

45 minutes ago, slorch said:

His performance the last couple of years?

Well, I

Spoiler

mean, yeah, that fucker missed the tournament in 2020...

He's gone 9-9 and 9-8 in conference the last two seasons with arguably his most talented rosrers. Same results were beating up Shaka for.

Shaka had to go, but I don't see Beard as a guaranteed success

Edited by JesusSweatDuck
Typo

3 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

He's gone 9-9 and 9-8 in conference the last two seasons with arguably his most talented rosrers. Same results were beating up Shaka for.

Shaka had to go, but I don't see Beard as a guaranteed success

Tech has had as much roster turnover is anybody, whether it has been guys going pro or transfers which are hardly unique to the tech program. If you want to convince yourself that iBeard’s success is a mirage or luck, then awesome...

Most people don’t see it that way, but maybe you’re on to something...

14 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

First and foremost, I’m happy the Shaka era is over. I’m ecstatic that I don’t have to watch his style of basketball. I’m not too keen on having to start watching Beard style of basketball now (or someone like Tony Bennett for that matter). It’s been fun watching Houston and Arkansas in the tournament and that’s a style of basketball I’d much prefer to watch. Would much rather try for Musselman or Sampson. If not one of those guys, I’d prefer a relatively cheap Royal Ivey rather than overpay for Beard.

UofH plays a shitty style too. 

An extra contract year for every tournament appearance is ridiculous for a coach who will be expected to make the tournament most years.  Does he also demand a bowl of 10,000 green m&ms before every game?

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have no issue with the 1 year extension per tournament make. It’s just money and we have plenty of it  

If he’s the guy and he does what he’s expected to do, it’ll work out. If not, then COME ON - if Chris Beard can’t succeed at Texas, we may as well not field a fucking program bc it’s cursed to fail. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I have no issue with the 1 year extension per tournament make. It’s just money and we have plenty of it  

If he’s the guy and he does what he’s expected to do, it’ll work out. If not, then COME ON - if Chris Beard can’t succeed at Texas, we may as well not field a fucking program bc it’s cursed to fail. 

Are we saying every year he makes the tourney he gets extra year?  I would change that slightly.  Every year u win a tourney game u get extra year.  Some people would say make him get to sweet 16 to earn extra year.  

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Tech has had as much roster turnover is anybody, whether it has been guys going pro or transfers which are hardly unique to the tech program. If you want to convince yourself that iBeard’s success is a mirage or luck, then awesome...

Most people don’t see it that way, but maybe you’re on to something...

I see it that way too.  He has made the championship game and the elite 8 but he also .500 in conference over the last 2 years and overall in his time at Tech.  Im not saying he wouldn't work but I don't think he is the guarantee that some others on this thread think he is either.  I wasn't a big fan of McClung's harden style of basketball this year either.  But he also may be our best option.  I trust in CDC to make the right decision at this point.   

2 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Am I the only one that would be excited to "miss" on Beard. Between his brand of basketball and the performance the last couple years I don't think he's a slam dunk hire.

Bring on Ivey and get all the NBA alums back in the picture

Jesus, this is a bad take.  This is why Texas basketball fans have such a bad reputation.  Superficial knowledge combined with an irresistible need to express opinions.    

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2