UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

I think cdc has earned some respect bro 

I'm joking.  I'm not one of the weirdos who thinks he sucks, has no balls and calls him Crystal.

He exceeded my expectations when he hired White and Schaefer and Floreal.  I think the Sark hire as genius, since Meyer bamboozled us.

I have always stated since Shaka left that I thought he'd get it done with Beard.

• Hook 'Em 3

21 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I'm joking.  I'm not one of the weirdos who thinks he sucks, has no balls and calls him Crystal.

He exceeded my expectations when he hired White and Schaefer and Floreal.  I think the Sark hire as genius, since Meyer bamboozled us.

I have always stated since Shaka left that I thought he'd get it done with Beard.

Yeah I don't care whether he's masterminding all this shit or a dunce sitting in the corner while BMDs run the show or whatever. The point is shit has been moving in the right direction since he showed up and it was a veritable clusterfuck before that.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 5

10 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

Yes! Yes!! This dude is available at 3. something I bet.  Who would be unhappy with this guy?  He should be in the top 3 I would think. 

People alluding to Musselman being a dick. Not sure what that means exactly but he can coach this basketball thing. 

Got to be on the list if Beard doesnt work out. 

19 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I don't care how skeezy and slimy they are, I'd take Sampson and Calipari. Basketball is a dirty game. 

Beard would be my #1 choice. He doesn't seem like a skeezball

Isn't Sampson's "sleaziness" basically just texting kids during dead periods. Or am I forgetting something else? Calipari and Pitino seem like next-level pieces of shit compared to Sampson.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

Isn't Sampson's "sleaziness" basically just texting kids during dead periods. Or am I forgetting something else? Calipari and Pitino seem like next-level pieces of shit compared to Sampson.

It doesn't look as bad a decade and a half down the road, but it was a major NCAA infraction at the time.  He got a show clause for it. 

And then he did it again! 

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Arkansas is going to tear up Musselman's contract and give him a massive raise. What he makes now is irrelevant.

YUP.  And he deserves it too.  We waited too long on the Musselman/Oates train - that was partially on CDC, but mostly on that fucking albatross of a contract that Perrin left him.  Jesus Christ. 

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It doesn't look as bad a decade and a half down the road, but it was a major NCAA infraction at the time.  He got a show clause for it. 

And then he did it again! 

Just to be clear.  His real violation was lying about what he did.  That's still a pretty big issue with the NCAA.  He pissed them off

Just now, Js1 said:

YUP.  And he deserves it too.  We waited too long on the Musselman/Oates train - that was partially on CDC, but mostly on that fucking albatross of a contract that Perrin left him.  Jesus Christ. 

Don't think CDC would have hired Nate Oats in 2019. Musselman has a Sarkisian-like resume, so I think he would have been the guy.

Musselman, Oats and Beard would have likely been the top 3.  Oats was coming off 2 straight conference titles and 2 straight rounds of 32. 

He was a hot name at the time.  I think he would have interviewed, at least. 

8 minutes ago, The Dog said:

SIAP but FCB says that Beard is interviewing tomorrow

6 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

*checks Beard's buyout calendar*

*checks tomorrow's date*

Yeah, that'll work.

I'm sure he's got 15 minutes to spare. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

Beard is done.  all over except for Tech tears.

Oh let me guess:

• Good riddance. We don't want him. 
  • He has no loyalty
  • Didn't even do that well here, if you look at X, Y, Z
  • Terrible brand of basketball, wasn't fun to watch, we can do better
  • Delusional rants about how they are going to land the an elite coach there is because they are a basketball school now

Just now, Js1 said:

Oh let me guess:

• He has no loyalty
  • Delusional rants about how they are going to land the an elite coach there is because they are a basketball school now

Everything has been along the lines of the 2nd bullet so far.

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Oh let me guess:

• He has no loyalty

Can't handle the pressure of a top tier school so he left.

1 minute ago, Dijon Robinson said:

I like the idea of having a head coach that's tight with the NBA alums (Ivey) however I would also get a ton of enjoyment out of reminding other schools in the state where their place is in the pecking order (Beard)

exactly. we struck out on urban and that just fueled all these other schools delusions that "Texas isn't what it used to be," "no good coach would make a lateral move there" etc

2 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

One risk with Ivey is that if he has an extended run of mediocrity it may be tough to fire him without alienating those NBA alums.  So maybe add in a few more years of wandering in the wilderness.

This is my concern as well. If he's not good, firing him may prove difficult bc his buddies will think we didn't give him a chance or enough time or the right resources.

We are in win-now mode.  If Ivey wants to be the head coach, there's opportunities for him to go out there and get that experience and come home later.  He and all his NBA buddies are also welcome around the program anytime they'd like. 

Edited by Js1

People do realize Beard can get the NBA Horns back aligned too, right? I don’t get the sense our NBA Horns are saying only Ivey can bring back their support. I do get the sense they just want a coach who knows what the fuck he’s doing.

• Hook 'Em 9