UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

2 minutes ago, slorch said:

So UNC offers Beard $5MM/ year and he giggles...

He’s going to be a lot more expensive than he would have been a week ago, no matter where he goes/ stays.

UT should have paid the $5MM buyout when they had the chance.

Hard to disagree with this logic.  However, Roy Williams likely did not wake up this morning and decide to retire.  This must have been in the works for some time; agents, reps working back-channels.  Beard's reps must have known this was happening before today...

Just now, Thiefery said:

UNC isn't going to hire Beard..  This wasn't a retirement surprise, I'm sure they have been knowing this

I'm more in this camp, but at the same time, it isn't a surprise to them and there hadn't been leaks/names thrown out as potential successors 

10 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I'm not too worried about Beard to UNC. I don't think that is the style they are looking for. Plus they seem to like keeping it in the UNC family. 

Wes Miller to UNC?  Probably a stretch, but he is an alumni, only 38, and has won the Southern Conference 3 of the last 5 years, going 105-42 (71.4%).

Mark Turgeon is from the Roy Williams coaching tree and could be a candidate. Yesterday he said he's not interested in the OU job, so maybe he had forewarning about Roy retiring.  He has only done "ok" though at Maryland, going 105-79 in the Big 10 and winning the conference once in 7 years.

MJ is available.

1 minute ago, boilerhorn said:

Hard to disagree with this logic.  However, Roy Williams likely did not wake up this morning and decide to retire.  This must have been in the works for some time; agents, reps working back-channels.  Beard's reps must have known this was happening before today...

April 1 gives him a 30 day window for his UNC system HR paperwork and whatnot to work. My guess is that this was known in the last 2 weeks and they planned to announce it today for both the PR and HR reasons...

Real spontaneous retirements don’t happen the first calendar day of a new month...

4 minutes ago, boilerhorn said:

The timing is interesting for sure

1 minute ago, Laxtonto said:

April 1 gives him a 30 day window for his UNC system HR paperwork and whatnot to work. My guess is that this was known in the last 2 weeks  YEARS and they planned to announce it today for both the PR and HR reasons...

Real spontaneous retirements don’t happen the first calendar day of a new month...

fify

13 minutes ago, slorch said:

So UNC offers Beard $5MM/ year and he giggles...

He’s going to be a lot more expensive than he would have been a week ago, no matter where he goes/ stays.

UT should have paid the $5MM buyout when they had the chance.

Does anyone actually think this wasn't known in the coaching and Agent circles for a while now?  Roy didn't just drop this bomb on UNC today.   I guarantee every Agent knew this was a possibility for weeks and knew it was happening definitively for days now.  Cmon people.

Edited by Skipper

16 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

UNC isn't going to hire Beard..  This wasn't a retirement surprise, I'm sure they have been knowing this

Sure it wasn’t a surprise.

Neither is it coincidental that it was announced on today, with regard to Beard’s availability.

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Can we finally STFU about how CDC sucks and has no balls and can't land coaches?

Vic Schaefer
Eldrick Floreal
Mike White
Chris Beard

Suck it, haters. 

It has always been a moronic narrative driven by impatient children.

5 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Hell yes. It’s gonna be a epic street battle between UNC and tech for mark few or Brad Steven’s. 

Brad Steven's what?

• Hook 'Em 4