UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

10 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Screenshotting, because these guys are now deleting tweets.

image.thumb.png.a8b358f41ee3f83a7daefba6d13e4ee1.png

I will be disappointed if Beard leaves for Texas.  Much of that sentiment is rooted in the fact that Beard is about the least fake/ phony/ fraudulent dude out there, with regard to coaches.

The bullshit in that message above is a great example of what I hate about my own fanbase.

1 minute ago, slorch said:

I will be disappointed if Beard leaves for Texas.  Much of that sentiment is rooted in the fact that Beard is about the least fake/ phony/ fraudulent dude out there, with regard to coaches.

The bullshit in that message above is a great example of what I hate about my own fanbase.

Eh, I wouldn't feel bad about that, every fanbase has people who would respond like that. I would bet I could find people as pissed Shaka "left Texas".

Texas Tech basketball is done. They will probably hire some spare next...Chris Beards don't come along everyday. They had the national championship in the bag two years ago but left Hunter wide open for that corner three...that will haunt them forever

50 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Can we finally STFU about how CDC sucks and has no balls and can't land coaches?

Vic Schaefer
Eldrick Floreal
Mike White
Chris Beard

Suck it, haters. 

I am on record that I won't say another negative thing about the man if he turns the Shaka Jedi mind trick into Beard as our next BBall coach, and I am a man of my word. He is golden for his tenure here in my eyes.

On 3/31/2021 at 1:44 PM, Ricky Butler said:

With the support Ivey has in the league, it sounds like he's going to be an NBA coach soon. Superstars almost get to pick their coaches these days. No way we could keep him.

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

I'm ecstatic about Beard coming on board as HC.  But I am also a bit sad that we won't get to see what Royal could have done. I just have a feeling he might well have been lightning in a bottle.  

I hope he can stay in the pro game and give UT a strong link into the NBA.  

Royal, like so many of our former players are solid representatives on and off the court for The University.  Solid class.

• Hook 'Em 4

6 hours ago, Harry Waters said:

Aesthetically pleasing?  You've obviousy never played basketball at a high level.  If you had, you would appreciate the beauty of a complete team buy-in.  A team that sells-out for offensive rebounds and defense.  A team that will unselfishly move the ball to find the best offensive opportunity.  This is the brand of baseketball of Sampson, Few, Drew, Wright, Bennett and Beard.  That group includes coaches that will have won the last three NCAA basketball championships.

Man, when I watched UH attack that vaunted Syracuse 2-3 matchup, I found that aesthetically pleasing.

someone telling *me* that i don't appreciate Barnes style basketball? I'm living in the twilight zone. 

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

someone telling *me* that i don't appreciate Barnes style basketball? I'm living in the twilight zone. 

Proud of how short this response is. I was waiting for you to comment before jumping in. You were absolutely correct that while an offensive rebounding focused system can be effective it is not pretty or fun to watch. This isn't about a slow tempo or moving the ball around unselfishly to find the best possible look. It's about a system that accepts poor shooting as a fact of life so focuses on the offensive glass to maintain efficiency.

And like we discussed regarding our Elite Eight loss to LSU, while that can absolutely work against most teams it can get absolutely shut down when you face a decent defensive team that you can't dominate on the offensive boards.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Harry Waters said:

Aesthetically pleasing?  You've obviousy never played basketball at a high level.  If you had, you would appreciate the beauty of a complete team buy-in.  A team that sells-out for offensive rebounds and defense.  A team that will unselfishly move the ball to find the best offensive opportunity.  This is the brand of baseketball of Sampson, Few, Drew, Wright, Bennett and Beard.  That group includes coaches that will have won the last three NCAA basketball championships.

Man, when I watched UH attack that vaunted Syracuse 2-3 matchup, I found that aesthetically pleasing.

baseketball.jpg.9bbc7daa79882e9582170c9a76f6a310.jpg

Ah yes, baseketball. Clearly you know what you're talking about.

Bennett's offenses suck ass, and Beard's aren't much better. Beard's teams thrive on "Chip on the shoulder, us against the world, we'll beat 'em with grit and determination".  He demands hustle and attention to defense, which can win a lot of games, but I wouldn't say his offenses remind me anything of those run by Few, Wright, or Drew. I'm hoping he proves me wrong, and is able to blend toughness and a stout defense with an efficient offense that is able to generate easy buckets and open looks, instead of the isolation spot-up jump shooting we've seen too much of.

1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Beard can recruit just as good and probably better than Shaka. No need to even talk about his development of said recruits. UT recruits itself, and his job just got easier in that department. I'm amped at this hire. 

All evidence to the contrary.

As Shaka was pulling in 4 stars & 5 stars, Beard was patching together a team of 3 stars and transfers.

Beard got his first 5 just this last year and the kid quit on the team and is going elsewhere.

What Beard can do, not just as well as Shaka, but much better than Shaka... is COACH. He can coach before the game better than Shaka, he can coach during a game better than Shaka, he can make adjustments at halftime better than Shaka, and he sure as hell can coach end of games better than Shaka.

Perhaps Lubbock was part of the problem, or perhaps Beard didn't kiss the asses of the highly rated players, but he could not recruit the talent to Tech than Shaka recruited to Texas. 

We shall now see if Beard's recruiting improves now that he is no longer exiled in Lubbock.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

As Shaka was pulling in 4 stars & 5 stars, Beard was patching together a team of 3 stars and transfers.

Beard got his first 5 just this last year and the kid quit on the team and is going elsewhere.

What Beard can do, not just as well as Shaka, but much better than Shaka... is COACH. He can coach before the game better than Shaka, he can coach during a game better than Shaka, he can make adjustments at halftime better than Shaka, and he sure as hell can coach end of games better than Shaka.

Perhaps Lubbock was part of the problem, or perhaps Beard didn't kiss the asses of the highly rated players, but he could not recruit the talent to Tech than Shaka recruited to Texas. 

We shall now see if Beard's recruiting improves now that he is no longer exiled in Lubbock.

I have no idea if Beard is as good a recruiter as Shaka, but it is absolutely useless comparing recruiting records between someone at Texas Tech and Texas.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I guess I should have said regarding his recruiting is that he can develop his recruits, which makes them better. My apologies for not saying that in the first place. 

I am stoked to see how he develops 4 and 5 stars since UT basically recruits itself. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

I have no idea if Beard is as good a recruiter as Shaka, but it is absolutely useless comparing recruiting records between someone at Texas Tech and Texas.

The 247 write up mentioning how Vic Schaefer wanted a 5 star that said "no thanks" to life in Starkvegas, but was all on board with signing with Vic to play in Austin seems appropriate here.

Apparently the shoes matter a lot more than I would have ever guessed too.

Money, Its Gotta be the Shoes by MickleDesignWerks on DeviantArt

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, jinx said:

The 247 write up mentioning how Vic Schaefer wanted a 5 star that said "no thanks" to life in Starkvegas, but was all on board with signing with Vic to play in Austin seems appropriate here.

Apparently the shoes matter a lot more than I would have ever guessed too.

Money, Its Gotta be the Shoes by MickleDesignWerks on DeviantArt

I think I read Schafer landed the top 2 players in the class for Texas. One from Texas and the other from Oklahoma, unless I misread it, which is possible since it was months ago. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I think I read Schafer landed the top 2 players in the class for Texas. One from Texas and the other from Oklahoma, unless I misread it, which is possible since it was months ago. 

From @Machinator post this morning from 247:

Beard will never admit this publicly, but according to sources close to the situation, it’s been harder for Beard to lure top recruits, such as Cade Cunningham, who ended up at Oklahoma State, because Tech is an Under Armour school as opposed to a Nike school like Texas and Oklahoma State.

“In basketball, how schools align with shoe companies matter,” said a source close to the situation.

There’s also the ability to recruit to Austin.

Texas women’s coach Vic Schaefer may be the best testimonial for that. When 6-foot-1 forward Aliyah Moore, the No. 6 prospect in the 2021 class from Moore, Okla., signed with Texas, she said Schaefer had recruited her hard to go to Mississippi State, but Moore had no interest in going to school in Starkville, Miss.

As soon as Schaefer got the Texas job, he called Moore, and because he was now headed to Austin, Moore was immediately interested in joining Schaefer at UT, which she’ll do this fall.

• Hook 'Em 4

22 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

spacer.png

edit: basically the same thing @jinxjust posted right there ☝️

Edited by Rimbo
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Beard’s recruiting at Tech has been outstanding.   He beat us straight up for Zhaire Smith and several DFW guys.   Ramsey, Burnett (the 5 star who transferred this year), Peavy, Shannon, and the kid from Plano they have coming next year are Tech’s highest rated recruits ever (or at least since the internet services became a big thing; I don’t remember how highly ranked Jason Sasser and Tony Battie were in the James Dickey buying players days). 

Beard elevated Tech’s recruiting so much it’s insane.   I expect big time recruiting here.

Our saving grace for the 2021/22 season is that he knows how to navigate the transfer market.

Not saying that Shaka has left scorched earth in Austin, but the earth would be considered "too hot to walk on in bare feet" if someone had to describe the roster situation today.

I wonder if there is any shot that Greg Brown returns for another year so that he can learn how an amazing athlete can play team basketball. It's doubtful. He'll go in the first round to somewhere and learn how to play basketball from NBA coaches while getting paid millions and counting down the years until his second contract.

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I would think it’s harder to recruit talent to Lubbock.  Especially the one and done kids

• Hook 'Em 1

For crying out loud folks, Bob Freaking Weltlich recruited well to Texas.  Beard, who is far less of a jerk than Weltlich, will be fine here.

Plus, Beard has placed 2 lottery picks, a 2nd rounder, and several undrafted FAs into the NBA - FROM TEXAS TECH! 

Trivia question: Before Beard got to TTU, when was the last time a TTU player was drafted?
I'll answer: 2004.

Edited by boilerhorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, boilerhorn said:

For crying out loud folks, Bob Freaking Weltlich recruited well to Texas.  Beard, who is far less of a jerk than Weltlich, will be fine here.

Plus, Beard has placed 2 lottery picks, a 2nd rounder, and several undrafted FAs into the NBA - FROM TEXAS TECH! 

Trivia question: Before Beard got to TTU, when was the last time a TTU player was drafted?
I'll answer: 2004.

Correct.  Also Bobby knight and tubby didn’t recruit lights out either.   It’s a tough place and I don’t remember many years where we didn’t out recruit them, regardless of coach