UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

8 hours ago, Napoleon said:

All evidence to the contrary.

As Shaka was pulling in 4 stars & 5 stars, Beard was patching together a team of 3 stars and transfers.

Beard got his first 5 just this last year and the kid quit on the team and is going elsewhere.

What Beard can do, not just as well as Shaka, but much better than Shaka... is COACH. He can coach before the game better than Shaka, he can coach during a game better than Shaka, he can make adjustments at halftime better than Shaka, and he sure as hell can coach end of games better than Shaka.

Perhaps Lubbock was part of the problem, or perhaps Beard didn't kiss the asses of the highly rated players, but he could not recruit the talent to Tech than Shaka recruited to Texas. 

We shall now see if Beard's recruiting improves now that he is no longer exiled in Lubbock.

Exiled in Lubbock has to be somebody’s country album title already, doesn’t it?

6 hours ago, Goodman said:

Big fat tech tears.

Man this is bad. These guys are delusional. Texas a “lateral move?” Lol.

Compare this to the CBS Eye on College Basketball podcast - a national guy called Texas a top 5 or 6 job and said, “if you stay at Tech you spend your whole career wondering if you made the right choice. If you take the Texas job, you spend maybe a day or two feeling bad about leaving Tech, but you know you made the right choice.”

TRIGGERED!

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/1/2021 at 8:00 AM, slorch said:

So UNC offers Beard $5MM/ year and he giggles...

He’s going to be a lot more expensive than he would have been a week ago, no matter where he goes/ stays.

UT should have paid the $5MM buyout when they had the chance.

Yea.  We misplayed our cards didn’t we?

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...

Has anyone heard accounts or credible-ish rumors that Royal Ivey was told that he didn't have enough NCAA coaching and recruiting experience to be a serious contender for the UT gig this spring? 

As an Illinois fan, I'm hearing rumors to this effect within the context of our interminable assistant coaching search, and that we're just waiting for the Nets season to end before he's going to be announced. But this is like the 10th "for real this time" fan delusion that has gained momentum with no apparent tangible proof... 

8 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Has anyone heard accounts or credible-ish rumors that Royal Ivey was told that he didn't have enough NCAA coaching and recruiting experience to be a serious contender for the UT gig this spring? 

As an Illinois fan, I'm hearing rumors to this effect within the context of our interminable assistant coaching search, and that we're just waiting for the Nets season to end before he's going to be announced. But this is like the 10th "for real this time" fan delusion that has gained momentum with no apparent tangible proof... 

He doesn’t have the chops for the head gig.  You would struggle to find a more beloved former player.  If we struck out on the top targets he was a very interesting roll the dice candidate.  If you pick him up as an assistant I can’t see how that wouldn’t be viewed as a big win.  I also can’t see why he would leave for a college assistant gig.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

He signed on to coach South Sudan's national team a few weeks ago. Not sure if that is just a summer tournament commitment or a more long-term affair.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I'm not really sure about the level of that commitment either.

That said, and I acknowledge that there isn't much else in common to their respective situations, but Coach K. did the same thing with the USA team recently, so it doesn't appear to be a dealbreakingly heavy time commitment. 

arguably, South Sudan has a greater need for player development. 

• 1 year later...

this is why the thread was necro'd: https://www.on3.com/college/texas-longhorns/news/texas-basketball-coach-chris-beard-arrested-monday-morning-in-austin-tx/

According to records from the Travis County Sheriff’s Office, Texas men’s basketball coach Chris Beard was arrested early Monday morning at 4:18 a.m. in Austin for “Assault on a family/household member.” He also apparently was preventing the victim from breathing. Beard was booked with a third degree felony.

Beard, 49 years old, is in his second season as the head coach of the Texas men’s program. He took the job in the summer of 2021 after a successful few years with Texas Tech. After an up-and-down year in 2021-22, which featured an NCAA Tournament appearance, Beard has gotten a number of returners back plus a recruiting haul with a few five-stars. The result? A team that’s 7-1 and ranked inside the top-5 of the AP Poll.

Try to get Oats before he goes to a basketball blue blood

Arkansas has $$$ so they’d be a fight for Muss. He’s also shown he can win big there. The only way he’d come to Texas is if he just wants a change of scenery. 

I’m not sold on Ivey, and I’m not sure why. Maybe someone here can convince me. Wasn’t TJ pushing Ivey hard?

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Arkansas has $$$ so they’d be a fight for Muss. He’s also shown he can win big there. The only way he’d come to Texas is if he just wants a change of scenery. 

I’m not sold on Ivey, and I’m not sure why. Maybe someone here can convince me. Wasn’t TJ pushing Ivey hard?

I would take Oats or Muss immediately. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I'm not sold on Ivey but he could probably be successful at Texas as like a Juwan Howard type hire. 

He doesn't have very relevant experience would be the obvious hesitation. If he wasn't a former player (coaching KD at multiple stops almost assuredly helps his case behind the scenes as well) Texas would give him zero consideration. 

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Jay wright and brad Steven’s?

I mean one of these is delusional and one of them you at least make the phone call and make him say no to $40M. 

Wright would be more realistic if he had been retired for a couple years, though. 

9 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Well no to Sampson because of his age, and no to hiring someone just to make a fan base mad. 

I was referring to the Mark Adams posts. 

Not a fan of Nate Oates, either. I'm also concerned Rodney Terry ends up with a decent record at the end of the season and he ends up being the choice. Actually, more than a little concerned.

57 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I would take a Rodney Terry led run this year ala Steve Fisher at Michigan.  Even if the next few years are a disaster.  My delusions of grandeur are officially shattered so one real run sounds pretty good at this point.

If we won a national title this year under an interim coach and then we went another 5 years without winning a game I think I'd be ok with that.  Teams I've rooted for have (in my lifetime as an actual fan) won 4 super bowls, 2 NBA titles, 2 World Series, 2 NCAA baseball championships, a football national title. The only thing I'm missing on sports I care about is a March Madness national championship.  If we got that done I'd be really really happy.  

• Hook 'Em 2