UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Beard has recruited some one and done guys I thought? 

Wasn't that stud freshman on the Elite Eight team a one-and-done guy, the year before Tech made the title game? He's been mostly hurt in the NBA, though.

1 hour ago, BillyBadAss said:

I'm in the camp that doesn't like taking good coaches from conference teams. Maybe in this case since Beard is an alum , or if you think he is destined to leave regardless -the  calculus is a bit different. But in general, I like having a strong conference with quality coaches. 

WTF?

I'm in the camp that likes getting the best coach possible.  Sorry if that makes Tech worse.  But in general, I like winning the most games possible.

• Hook 'Em 7

Just now, Rockethorn1978 said:

Beard has recruited some one and done guys I thought? 

Recruiting isn't his issue, he's been landing top-50 guys; it's retaining guys. His roster churn every year is impressive; some of it is his focus on the transfer portal and some of it is running guys off. He has 2 leaving this year, 3 the year before, 4 the year before that. Tech's Verbal Commits page is large and full of grayed out names.

image.thumb.png.9500c2c5c533c2088f1d9397fddddf09.png

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

Welp if you trust wells at IT, he’s hearing Tech like the Nawf Texas coach.

That would not be a shock and has been a rumored match for a few years now... Would make it not look so bad with him coming off UNTs first ever an NCAA win either.

12 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

I would think it’s gonna be beard. It’s not often that Texas misses out on a Top target not named Meyer 

Only if you ignore the 2013 football coaching search and the 2016 baseball coaching search.  Blech. 

16 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Recruiting is the one area Beard has not broken through at Tech, I would think that would be a huge appeal in Texas for him.

yep.  Beard sucks.  can't recruit to LBK.  Not that these rankings mean jack shit, so don't look here.

#1 in the Big XII in 2020... https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2020/big12/basketball

#1 in the Big XII in 2019...https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2019/big12/basketball

#2 in the Big XII in 2018...https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2018/big12/basketball

Edited by slorch

So many important questions about this coaching search:

1.  Do we need to draw lines of demarcation for the Day Crew and Night Crew? 

2.  What about Big Dick Energy?  Is it time to bring it? 

3.  Will the lack of availability of the McRib help or hurt our chances at landing the top candidate?

4.  What does CB stand for?

Edited by South Austin
i touch myself
  • Hook 'Em 6

9 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Beard's only put two guys in the NBA off the top of my head, and Ramsey who was the one one and done last year, went a lot lower than expected

Zhaire Smith (16th overall pick, can't stay healthy -- 13 NBA appearances in two seasons with about twice as many games played in G-League)

Jarrett Culver (6th overall pick)

Matt Mooney (mostly G-league but a couple of NBA appearances)

Tariq Owens (mostly G-League but a couple of NBA appearances)

Jhami'us Ramsey (2nd round pick, mostly G-League but a couple of NBA appearances)

Edited by C-Man

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

3.  Will the lack of availability of the McRib help or hurt our chances at landing the top candidate?

I hope it's so quick and without dramatics, even Thujone won't bother. 

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

3.  Will the lack of availability of the McRib help or hurt our changes at landing the top candidate?

Don't forget about carpet and curtains, and whether they match or not. 

Fire up the Flightaware watch. 

Just now, slorch said:

yep.  Beard sucks.  can't recruit to LBK.

#1 in the Big XII in 2020... https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2020/big12/basketball

#1 in the Big XII in 2019...https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2019/big12/basketball

#2 in the Big XII in 2018...https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2018/big12/basketball

Dude... seriously?? ok... yeah he signs the most players every year... I guess if that's you measure he's had success there.

He can't get the talent there that he could at a place like Texas, its just facts.

Just now, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Dude... seriously?? ok... yeah he signs the most players every year... I guess if that's you measure he's had success there.

He can't get the talent there that he could at a place like Texas, its just facts.

You are delusional.

Moving on...

6 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Zhaire Smith (16th overall pick, can't stay healthy -- 13 NBA appearances in two seasons with about twice as many games played in G-League)

Jarrett Culver (6th overall pick)

Matt Mooney (mostly G-league but a couple of NBA appearances)

Tariq Owens (mostly G-League but a couple of NBA appearances)

Jhami'us Ramsey (2nd round pick, mostly G-League but a couple of NBA appearances)

Ah forgot about Smith. It's not that he can't stay healthy, he had an undiagnosed allergy to cinnamon or poppyseeds or something that just wrecked his career.

4 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Also who is our mascot? 

Culpo?

olivia-culpo-at-popsugar-brunch-at-coach

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

9 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Bob Weltlich - raging asshole of all raging assholes - was able to recruit Texas.  Penders' first roster included Mays, Blanks, Wright, and Heggs.

Beard - or anyone - will be fine recruiting to Texas.

EDIT: @MonkeyDoughnut should have replied to the same message you replied to...  I was agreeing with you.

Edited by boilerhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Beard's only put two guys in the NBA off the top of my head, and Ramsey who was the one one and done last year, went a lot lower than expected

We've been a solid NBA pipeline for years now and all we have to show for it is a NIT title. I'd rather our next coach focus on winning college games, not NBA prep. The good players will make it.

• Hook 'Em 7

Just now, TexasEx said:

Any word from the deer blind? This shit taking too long.

Def wouldn't expect it to happen THAT quickly.

If it's Beard, likely won't hear until end of next week to get past the 4/1 date. 

If it is someone in the tournament, gotta wait until they lose.

If it is someone out of the tournament and not Beard, early next week maybe? 

But I don't foresee it stretching past April 4 or 5.  

From 247 and may have been posted -

"Chris Beard's buyout to go to another Big 12 school drops to $4 million on April 1, sources told ESPN,” Borzello wrote in a tweet. “$2 million for any school outside the Big 12.”

The buyout money could play a significant factor for Texas, as boosters already paid a $15 million one for former football coach Tom Herman just three months ago. Beard also makes $6 million annually with the Red Raiders, and Texas would likely need to top that to get him away from there.

In five seasons in Lubbock, Beard is 112-55 (.671 winning percentage) and 49-40 (.551) in the Big 12. He reached the Elite Eight in his first season and was the NCAA runner-up in 2019, losing to Virginia in overtime of the national championship game. The Red Raiders’ season ended last Sunday in the Sweet 16 with a loss to Arkansas.

$6 million? More than Sark. Dang. Is he worth it?

9 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

From 247 and may have been posted -

"Chris Beard's buyout to go to another Big 12 school drops to $4 million on April 1, sources told ESPN,” Borzello wrote in a tweet. “$2 million for any school outside the Big 12.”

The buyout money could play a significant factor for Texas, as boosters already paid a $15 million one for former football coach Tom Herman just three months ago. Beard also makes $6 million annually with the Red Raiders, and Texas would likely need to top that to get him away from there.

In five seasons in Lubbock, Beard is 112-55 (.671 winning percentage) and 49-40 (.551) in the Big 12. He reached the Elite Eight in his first season and was the NCAA runner-up in 2019, losing to Virginia in overtime of the national championship game. The Red Raiders’ season ended last Sunday in the Sweet 16 with a loss to Arkansas.

$6 million? More than Sark. Dang. Is he worth it?

Hire the ACU coach. He’s the same guy but cheaper.