UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

FWIW---Dana Altman and Chancellor Milliken go way back.  Not that Milliken would get involved in the coaching hiring of one system school, but if it comes down to 2 guys...I bet he'd chime in.  

Starting to think Royal Ivey would be a good move.

As exciting as this all is, we really should be watching our Sweet 16 game tonight v. Alabama tonight.  

1 hour ago, Brandywine said:

So if they’re not talking, are you making those names up?

I’m completely and totally onboard with all 4 of those names and would be ecstatic. 
I’d rank them:

Beilein

Ivey

Beard

Altman 

Beard is this low for me strictly bc I don’t live his style of play. I imagine he’d win at a really high level. 
Add musselman To that list of four and it’s as good a 5 man search as I’ve ever seen us have in any sport. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, bluto said:

Give me a drama free hiring of kelvin Sampson and call it day. Throw in a closet full of denim shirts and he’d never stop smiling.

Somehow I doubt hiring the basketball version of Barry Switzer at Texas would be drama free. 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m completely and totally onboard with all 4 of those names and would be ecstatic. 
I’d rank them:

Beilein

Ivey

Beard

Altman 

Beard is this low for me strictly bc I don’t live his style of play. I imagine he’d win at a really high level. 
Add musselman To that list of four and it’s as good a 5 man search as I’ve ever seen us have in any sport. 

I get what you’re saying, but Beards floor is glory days of Barnes. His ceiling is taking us to like 3-4 final fours and probably a national title thrown in there 

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I’m sure Sampson has learned his lesson and won’t do it again.  Just like Bruce Pearl.  Or Tyrone Biggums.

I’m sure Pearl has learned, when committing recruiting violations, not to tell his recruits that what he’s doing is illegal so don’t tell anybody.

Thanks for helping tOSU get Aaron Craft, Bruce. (Btw, now that Craft’s basketball career is over he’s back in Columbus attending medical school.)

• Haha 1

Would Ivey command an enormous salary and buy out?

I remember when we hired Charlie Strong, there was some initial talk of mid major coaches being had for less than a coach we’d poach from SEC or Pac12, and it quickly got shot down for some bullshit like “if you are the HC at Texas, you get paid like the HC at Texas”. Um no why the fuck would we offer someone who was good in Conf USA the same as Urban, Saban, Jimbo, etc.???

Same vein, why would we pay Ivey as much as Calipari, or even Beard, when he had no HC or recruiting experience? If he comes with virtually no buy out in case it blows up on us, I’m more pro-Ivey.

From FCB:

Spoiler

Texas Tech coach Chris Beard is the leading candidate to replace Shaka Smart as the basketball coach at Texas, but other candidates will be interviewed, a source close to the situation told Horns247 on Saturday.

"I think on this one we will go through a process and we will interview several first before any decisions are made," the source said. "We are getting a lot of interest."

Two sources with knowledge of the situation told Horns247 on Friday Beard, a University of Texas graduate who served as a student assistant under former UT coach Tom Penders in the early 1990s, is the leading candidate to replace Smart. Those sources believe there is mutual interest.

A source close to the situation said Beard has already been gauging the interest of potential assistant coaches should he make the move to Texas.

I reported Friday that Oregon coach Dana Altman and former Longhorns' player and current Brooklyn Nets assistant coach Royal Ivey are short-list candidates, and I believe both could be in line to be interviewed by Texas.

According to Beard's most recent contract at Texas Tech, obtained by Horns247, Beard has earned at least $5.135 million for the 2020-21 season, which included a one-time retention bonus of $750,000 paid out last fall.

Beard's contract with Texas Tech, which runs through the 2024-25 season, pays him a base salary of $300,000 in each year of the contract. It also pays Beard $4 million in "rights fees for outside related income" for the 2020-21 school year. The rights fees income increases by $100,000 in each year of the contract, so Beard is slated to earn $4.4 million in 2021-22; $4.5 million in 2022-23; $4.6 million in 2023-24; and $4.7 million in 2024-25 - plus incentives.

If Texas were to hire Beard, UT would likely end up paying Beard as much or more than football coach Steve Sarkisian, who is earning $5.2 million in the first year of a six-year, $34.2 million deal.

"Well, the good news for us on all of this is Shaka (Smart) left on his own, so I think all options are on the table in terms of money," a UT source close to the situation told Horns247. "We have nothing (to pay) for the buyout."

If Texas had fired Smart, UT would've been on the hook for the final two years of Smart's guaranteed contract, which called for Smart to earn $3.5 million in 2021-22 and $3.6 million in 2022-23 - totaling what would've been a $7.1 million buyout. But with Smart leaving Texas for the Marquette job on his own, UT owes nothing in terms of a buyout for Smart, two UT sources told Horns247.

As we reported Friday, Beard's contract with Texas Tech has a buyout for any "Division I institution located in the state of Texas or is a member of the Big 12 conference" that drops from $5 million to $4 million on April 1.

With Texas planning to talk to multiple candidates to replace Smart, the hiring process is likely to go past April 1, a UT source told Horns247.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’d rank them:

Beilein

Ivey

Beard

Altman 

I'd take Musselman right behind Beilein personally. And that's only because Musselman and everyone else on the list would be more of a risk than Beilein who I think would knock it out of the part in every aspect. Musselman's personality is just the right type of personality that would work well here, IMO. He seems liike a funny guy who's up for bits. And at a school like ours is currently situated, without a lot of fan connection to the program, that approach could be endearing (ie this generation's Abe Lemons). Beard would be 3rd on my list for pretty much the same reasons you gave. Ivey would be next just due to the potential if he were to really be successful here, but it's a hell of a risk. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I get what you’re saying, but Beards floor is glory days of Barnes. His ceiling is taking us to like 3-4 final fours and probably a national title thrown in there 

Yeah. I mean I think that might be a hair ambitious on the ceiling, but I’d fully expect at least a Barnes like run from him- which for the decade of the 00’s we were one of the top 10 programs of that decade. So, yeah- I totally think he’d kill it. 
I just don’t like a grind it out, plodding rock fest. Would I take VA’s results?  Hell fucking yeah. Do I wanna t my school to play at that tempo and style?  Nah. But if your ceiling is correct I’d take that in a nano second and make my peace with games in the 50’s and 60’s. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah. I mean I think that might be a hair ambitious on the ceiling, but I’d fully expect at least a Barnes like run from him- which for the decade of the 00’s we were one of the top 10 programs of that decade. So, yeah- I totally think he’d kill it. 
I just don’t like a grind it out, plodding rock fest. Would I take VA’s results?  Hell fucking yeah. Do I wanna t my school to play at that tempo and style?  Nah. But if your ceiling is correct I’d take that in a nano second and make my peace with games in the 50’s and 60’s. 

I’m feeling oddly optimistic today so yeah maybe exaggerated on the ceiling part. But I mean fuck an elite 8 and a cunt hair away from a national title at fucking tech is pretty absurd 

5 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I’m feeling oddly optimistic today so yeah maybe exaggerated on the ceiling part. But I mean fuck an elite 8 and a cunt hair away from a national title at fucking tech is pretty absurd 

Yeah. And that is probably his ceiling it’s probably just like a 98th percent outcome. 

• Like 1

Even for the really elite programs, basketball has much more of a luck factor incorporated into it. So maintaining something much more than what Barnes was able to do from 2002 thru 2008 is a big ask. Especially at a school like ours where any real success will attract our fair share of 1-and dones which paradoxically stifles program stability. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

raised eyebrow at the many "style of play" detractors completely ignoring the street fight, pressure the fuck out of the opponent until they want to tap out 5 minutes into the second half...

That plodding offense squeezes the vice on their heads because it makes every possession all the more precious.

The weaker defense this season and "faster pace" offense was honestly not as fun to watch in 20-21, IMHO.

Ultimately, winning is the most fun; but watching a guy like Mooney or Culver get the defensive stop is one of the best things in hoops, IMHO.  The "above the rim" stuff is fleeting, I guess.  Defense travels.  It also generally works.  I'd love to see Tech get back to that type of game.

Edited by slorch

1 minute ago, slorch said:

raised eyebrow at the many "style of play" detractors completely ignoring the street fight, pressure the fuck out of the opponent until they want to tap out 5 minutes into the second half...

That plodding offense squeezes the vice on their heads because it makes every possession all the more precious.

The weaker defense this season and "faster pace" offense was honestly not as fun to watch this season, IMHO.

Ultimately, winning is the most fun; but watching a guy like Mooney or Culver get the defensive stop is one of the best things in hoops, IMHO.  The "above the rim" stuff is fleeting, I guess.  Defense travels.  It also generally works.  I'd love to see Tech get back to that type of game.

It wasn’t a knock that the style doesn’t win, just my preference would be 40 minutes of hell or Pitino or Paul Westphal or whoever. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, slorch said:

The weaker defense this season and "faster pace" offense was honestly not as fun to watch in 20-21, IMHO.

The more talented team is playing with fire if they intentionally limit possessions. Ask Virginia and their surprisingly high number of early round exits to lesser teams how that has worked out for them. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It wasn’t a knock that the style doesn’t win, just my preference would be 40 minutes of hell or Pitino or Paul Westphal or whoever. 

That's the point about the defensive pressure.  It was a work of art to execute that game plan and watch the opponent wilt.  It was exactly '40 minutes of hell."

5 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

The more talented team is playing with fire if they intentionally limit possessions. Ask Virginia and their surprisingly high number of early round exits to lesser teams how that has worked out for them. 

Fair enough.  The looser offensive gameplans were definitely different for Beard this year. The motion offense lends itself to multiple passes( running clock) until a player has the most desirable shot selection.  Some of that was missing this season.  Hell, actually this season, tech's offense was better when they let off the brakes, but the defense was also not as stout as in the past. Maybe that was more Beard adjusting to his talent on the floor.

Edited by slorch

7 minutes ago, slorch said:

That's the point about the defensive pressure.  It was a work of art to execute that game plan and watch the opponent wilt.  It was exactly '40 minutes of hell."

They were tenacious for 40 minutes but they guarded in the half court not 94 feet. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

8 minutes ago, slorch said:

Fair enough.  The looser offensive gameplans were definitely different for Beard this year. The motion offense lends itself to multiple passes( running clock) until a player has the most desirable shot selection.  Some of that was missing this season.  Hell, actually this season, tech's offense was better when they let off the brakes, but the defense was also not as stout as in the past. Maybe that was more Beard adjusting to his talent on the floor.

I actually love his motion offense. It's one of the things that I miss about old school Indiana and college basketball in general. However the pace of play is what I don't like. A lot of teams incorporate some of Knight's old school continuity stuff. They just do it at a faster pace with different spacing, and a more open floor alignment, rather than the tightly packed stuff Knight did and what Beard did during the Final 4 and Elite years. Constant movement is when basketball is at it's best. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 1

I would bet money that Bohls was told that by one of the AAS writers who follows much more closely.  

Back when I was doing media, I got seated next to Bohls at a Horn baseball game, the first time I had seen him at DF.  Before the game, the regular baseball beat writer for the AAS spent 45 minutes sitting with him and going through the entire Texas roster with him.  It was pathetic to see.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, C-Man said:

Seems like I read they like the North Texas guy if Beard comes to Austin.

Grant McCasland.

I went to Junior High and a year of high school with him.  We were pretty good friends back in the day.  He lived around the corner from me, and we carpooled to baseball, basketball, and football together.  He coached JD Lewis in JuCo, and when JD committed to Texas, I saw who his head coach was and dropped Grant a note.  Super nice guy, smart, high energy.  I wish he'd get an interview here--I think he'd kill it at Texas.  But I can't imagine we hire another coach without P5 experience in either football or basketball for the foreseeable future.  And my guess is he gets the job at Baylor whenever Drew decides to leave.  He's a Baylor alum, and his dad was a Baptist preacher.

If Beard comes to Texas, Grant would do good things at Tech, until he moved to Baylor.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

No offense, but after six years of Shaka, I'd just like Texas to actually have a style of play again. As long as it wins, I'm good with it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tired Horn said:

No offense, but after six years of Shaka, I'd just like Texas to actually have a style of play again. As long as it wins, I'm good with it.

Sure. Like I said- I’d be absolutely thrilled with any of the 4, or mussleman. I’d also really love to have sex with an in her prime Angie Harmon, but I’d rank her behind Katie Holmes. Doesn’t mean I’d kick her out of bed.  

3 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

There’s actually a dynamic of placing some staff at Tech and ACU. But I think Beard is coming to Texas.

If he's leaving, then why the fuck would Tech GAF about placing his staff?

The new guy will have plans of his own.

15 minutes ago, slorch said:

If he's leaving, then why the fuck would Tech GAF about placing his staff?

The new guy will have plans of his own.

Nobody said Tech gives a fuck. Beard would be doing the placing. The assistants and ACU staff have a lot of opportunities right now. 

Edited by Revolution512

11 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Nobody said Tech gives a fuck. Beard would be doing the placing. The assistants and ACU staff have a lot of opportunities right now. 

you must have missed the part about placements at Tech. Oh wait...it was your post!

Again, why would Tech GAF where his staff goes?  he would be in no position to insist they be retained at Tech.

Edited by slorch

there are other factors with Beard

1. his daughters are in Abilene which is less than 2 hours from Tech and an easy 82mph drive up the road with next to no traffic once you are off of I-20

Austin is only 65 miles further, but because of the route and the traffic in Austin I would imagine you can add 2 or more hours each way on that trip and that adds up for getting 3 daughters that are high school age to see their dad

2. He has a Sexy American Girlfriend that is a former Tech volleyball player and is now the volleyball coach at Frenship the "suburb" of Lubbock.....that is a really nice district and a really good job for her I am sure so that has to be a factor

I am not sure what their relationship is if they are shaking up, he is a sugar daddy, FWBs, BFFs, she has a ring, neither wants to get married ever.....but I get the impression he is not in any rush to get married anytime soon

I am sure Texas could get her a job in Austin, but even for men's BB I am not sure the high quality UT Women's Volleyball program is one where you ask the coach to take on an assistant and I would hope that UT and Del would have some "nepotism" concerns with that even if they wanted to ask one of the best performing coaches at UT to add someone to her staff as a favor to men's BB

and it would probably take time to get her a job at a high school in Austin.....then there is the factor that is she is not shacked up with Chris and they are not looking at that even if he ask and she was willing to move it is a great deal cheaper to live in Lubbock than Austin by orders of magnitude at this point and that is a big jump in a relationship to ask someone to take a quality of life hit and or to move to him offering some type of cost offset to keep her lifestyle up......especially if they are not extremely serious right now

3. how much more money is Texas willing to offer and even for Chris the cost of living difference is very high between Austin and Lubbock......he can have one of the nicest homes in Lubbock (yea ik ik Lubbock) and he is 15 minutes from Tech max and he could also have the same literally across the street from Tech.....not the same in Austin and not close to the same money

4. for the money Texas will need to offer the expectations will be massive he could be looking at being a 3 year coach if things to not work out........At Tech he could take a shit center court and probably be there for at least 3 years and hell they might give him a bump in salary of they thought taking a shit was necessary

so for another $1 million a year ($600,000 after taxes) and probably $200,000 more per year (over a 5 year contract) in higher living expenses to have the same type of home ect....and lets not bullshit around like top coaches are out at Pace Bend Park's Thrasher Cove every weekend doing "Austin shit" they are working a lot of hours and stacking cash for in case they get fired or burnt out....I do not see the quality of life in Austin over Lubbock factor to be a major player

sure that home is an investment, but he is buying at a time of massive upside pricing and no guarantees of that home holding the value they are currently selling for so there is a risk there it is not a sure fire investment

I would not be surprised at all if he left, but I think I would be less surprised if he stayed.....he does not have to answer to Tech fans even if that was a concern, but his oldest of 3 daughters is 17 now and all the stories make a big deal of them being able to spend a lot of quality time with him and that is very easy hauling ass up the road from Abilene to Lubbock and really a lot easier than Abilene to Austin when you look at the reality of the roads and then Austin traffic

I would imagine he has to answer to them and to his ex wife and his inlaws that by all reports he has a good relationship with and I think he takes that serious......now if his daughters are looking at going to UT, Baylor, Southwestern, Texas State that would surely be a major factor.....if they are considering Tech than that will be a major factor as well

Edited by ButtFumble
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Sure. Like I said- I’d be absolutely thrilled with any of the 4, or mussleman. I’d also really love to have sex with an in her prime Angie Harmon, but I’d rank her behind Katie Holmes. Doesn’t mean I’d kick her out of bed.  

Women. Can’t live with them, can’t live without them.
  • Hook 'Em 1

From a Tech perspective, I dislike the lack of an announcement today.

Shit or get off the pot motherfuckers-  on all fronts.  Either he's staying and it's all cool...

or don't let the door fucking hit ya.

Get on with it,  for crisesakes.

Edited by slorch

12 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

there are other factors with Beard

1. his daughters are in Abilene which is less than 2 hours from Tech and an easy 82mph drive up the road with next to no traffic once you are off of I-20

Austin is only 65 miles further, but because of the route and the traffic in Austin I would imagine you can add 2 or more hours each way on that trip and that adds up for getting 3 daughters that are high school age to see their dad

2. He has a Sexy American Girlfriend that is a former Tech volleyball player and is now the volleyball coach at Frenship the "suburb" of Lubbock.....that is a really nice district and a really good job for her I am sure so that has to be a factor

I am not sure what their relationship is if they are shaking up, he is a sugar daddy, FWBs, BFFs, she has a ring, neither wants to get married ever.....but I get the impression he is not in any rush to get married anytime soon

I am sure Texas could get her a job in Austin, but even for men's BB I am not sure the high quality UT Women's Volleyball program is one where you ask the coach to take on an assistant and I would hope that UT and Del would have some "nepotism" concerns with that even if they wanted to ask one of the best performing coaches at UT to add someone to her staff as a favor to men's BB

and it would probably take time to get her a job at a high school in Austin.....then there is the factor that is she is not shacked up with Chris and they are not looking at that even if he ask and she was willing to move it is a great deal cheaper to live in Lubbock than Austin by orders of magnitude at this point and that is a big jump in a relationship to ask someone to take a quality of life hit and or to move to him offering some type of cost offset to keep her lifestyle up......especially if they are not extremely serious right now

3. how much more money is Texas willing to offer and even for Chris the cost of living difference is very high between Austin and Lubbock......he can have one of the nicest homes in Lubbock (yea ik ik Lubbock) and he is 15 minutes from Tech max and he could also have the same literally across the street from Tech.....not the same in Austin and not close to the same money

4. for the money Texas will need to offer the expectations will be massive he could be looking at being a 3 year coach if things to not work out........At Tech he could take a shit center court and probably be there for at least 3 years and hell they might give him a bump in salary of they thought taking a shit was necessary

so for another $1 million a year ($600,000 after taxes) and probably $200,000 more per year (over a 5 year contract) in higher living expenses to have the same type of home ect....

sure that home is an investment, but he is buying at a time of massive upside pricing and no guarantees of that home holding the value they are currently selling for so there is a risk there it is not a sure fire investment

And you can count on one hand the number of major college BKB/FB coaches who actually let factors like these influence a job decision in the last thirty years.  

These are things that normal people think about when considering a new job.  Beard will likely think about one thing only: "Can I win it all here?"

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

And you can count on one hand the number of major college BKB/FB coaches who actually let factors like these influence a job decision in the last thirty years.  

These are things that normal people think about when considering a new job.  Beard will likely think about one thing only: "Can I win it all here?"

If that's the criteria, then he's staying Lubbock.