UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

1 minute ago, Jive Turkey said:

$4 mil?  we can find that in the sofa cushions in Bellmont.

CDC should "negotiate" the money Marquette would owe us down to $4million and just endorse that check to Texas Tech. 

6 minutes ago, Teryor said:

And he'll get 5.1 next season, @Bitterwhiteguy has mentioned this as a reason it's tough to see the logistics actually working to get him here unless we not only overpay him, but pay him more than Sark

One is a head coach, one was an assistant. Sark had/has more to prove.  

Beard took Texas fucking Tech to the Elite 8 in year 2 and NCAA champ game in year 3.  And fucking Little Rock to the 2nd round in year 1.  He's worth every penny if CDC wants to do it.

CDC doubled Mike White's salary and was twice what we were paying already. He gave Vic Schafer $1.8 million for women's basketball.   That was over a million more than what we were paying already. 

I don't think he's scared to pay a high salary for someone with success. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Chris Beard is a legitimately good candidate, but please do a real search and don't just hone in on one name.

I have no doubt that CDC has already done his homework with his list and will only reach out to those he truly wants.

I think anyone, including the AAS, who thinks he hasn't picked up the phone yet is fucking nuts.  He's likely already backchanneled his finalists for salary and other demands. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I’d blow in my undies if we got Chris beard.

Agreed.

Sometimes our fan base is just...

There are fans on several websites saying they don’t want Beard due to his “style of play.”  WTF?  We don’t have 17 National Championships and 53 FF banners hanging in the FEC.  We aren’t dictating whether we hire a coach based on style of play and the fact that the one white boy on his Tech team does flop a lot.  Jesus Christ, we are hiring a coach to WIN.

I don’t care if we only win by scoring 42 points in all 6 games in the tournament as long as we WON.

• Hook 'Em 8

2 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

I'm not dying on it.  I'm just saying that that one tweet is hardly  incontrovertible evidence.

Well, his contract is linked in this thread, so you could just read it yourself and see that the buyout is indeed $4M come 4/1.

Edited by Mittens
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Pancho said:

Agreed.

Sometimes our fan base is just...

There are fans on several websites saying they don’t want Beard due to his “style of play.”  WTF?  We don’t have 17 National Championships and 53 FF banners hanging in the FEC.  We aren’t dictating whether we hire a coach based on style of play and the fact that the one white boy on his Tech team does flop a lot.  Jesus Christ, we are hiring a coach to WIN.

I don’t care if we only win by scoring 42 points in all 6 games in the tournament as long as we WON.

It's the Rick Barnes situation. The basketball was never beautiful but in his heyday we won a lot, so it didn't matter. If Beard doesn't quite fit at Texas or loses about 20% of his edge while here, then it's pretty ugly to watch.

Call Beard's style ugly, but you know who else has an ugly fucking style of ball that works? 

Tony Bennett.  Who has a few Sweet 16s, and Elite 8 and a championship and 5 regular season titles / 2 tournament titles. 

I'll take wins over "style" and losses. 

9 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

eh, if beard is open to it i think you just sign him up asap.  i'm a bit surprised to see that he'd apparently be open to it.

Imagine you graduated and then went to work at small schools and then spent 10 years in Lubbock and then went to more small schools and then went back to Lubbock and then your alma mater the University of Texas called and said hey come home and also work in Austin in a brand new facility.

I'm not saying he'll definitely take it but acting surprised that he's open to discussion is strange. And it's not just you, of course.

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Imagine you graduated and then went to work at small schools and then spent 10 years in Lubbock and then went to more small schools and then went back to Lubbock and then your alma mater the University of Texas called and said hey come home and also work in Austin in a brand new facility.

I'm not saying he'll definitely take it but acting surprised that he's open to discussion is strange. And it's not just you, of course.

Ew, you want me to come to Austin, to the school where I graduated, and recruit to a world class university that isn't in Buttfuck, Texas and actually within 2-3 hours driving distance of the talent? 

Nah, sounds terrible.  

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Js1 said:

Call Beard's style ugly, but you know who else has an ugly fucking style of ball that works? 

Tony Bennett.  Who has a few Sweet 16s, and Elite 8 and a championship and 5 regular season titles / 2 tournament titles. 

I'll take wins over "style" and losses. 

The issue is he also has multiple absurd upsets. Strong teams that limit possessions make themselves more vulnerable to being upset. If you're the better team then you want more possessions to limit fluke results. But if your team is trained to play a style that results in fewer possessions then you can't just flip the switch when you're the much stronger roster. It's a genuine issue.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, tokamak said:

OK I'm sure I'll get blasted but I don't follow basketball much at all. Beard's last two years at Tech look pretty unimpressive. No worries?

His team this year was terrible at the beginning of the season and, as Tech seems to do under Beard, they found an identity and became a tough team to beat. I think he’s actually been a victim of his own success and has lost his top player to the draft after each season, most of those guys being under the radar recruits he developed pretty rapidly and made them legitimate NBA prospects. He moved up the board this year and actually pulled in a 5 star, I forget his name, and the kid never bought in to the philosophy and left the program.

I think he’s getting to the point where he can recruit a higher-caliber of player at Tech, the biggest obstacle will be getting those kids to want to play a gritty style of basketball.

16 minutes ago, Machinator said:

It's the Rick Barnes situation. The basketball was never beautiful but in his heyday we won a lot, so it didn't matter. If Beard doesn't quite fit at Texas or loses about 20% of his edge while here, then it's pretty ugly to watch.

I disagree to some extent. The 2003-2009 era teams were all fun to watch and well balanced on offense. It seems like hindsight or selective memory to not have enjoyed watching Ford, Augustin, Durant, PJ Tucker, and Aldridge on offense. Obviously the offenses declined over time into a slower, ball control version of what we did before, which is why it wasn't fun. But go back and watch the 2003 Elite 8 and Final Four games, and y'all will see what I mean. 

• Hook 'Em 4