UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

1 minute ago, Sal said:

I disagree to some extent. The 2003-2009 era teams were all fun to watch and well balanced on offense. It seems like hindsight or selective memory to not have enjoyed watching Ford, Augustin, Durant, PJ Tucker, and Aldridge on offense. Obviously the offenses declined over time into a slower, ball control version of what we did before, which is why it wasn't fun. But go back and watch the 2003 Elite 8 and Final Four games, and y'all will see what I mean. 

I wonder how much of those years success were Barnes system versus having two NBA point guards on roster?

Just now, Sgt. Slaughter said:

His team this year was terrible at the beginning of the season and, as Tech seems to do under Beard, they found an identity and became a tough team to beat. I think he’s actually been a victim of his own success and has lost his top player to the draft after each season, most of those guys being under the radar recruits he developed pretty rapidly and made them legitimate NBA prospects. He moved up the board this year and actually pulled in a 5 star, I forget his name, and the kid never bought in to the philosophy and left the program.

I think he’s getting to the point where he can recruit a higher-caliber of player at Tech, the biggest obstacle will be getting those kids to want to play a gritty style of basketball.

That's the issue for any coach who finds success with his system, trying to find big time recruits who will buy in. Fans want 5 stars but yhey aren't always willing to play the style coach has implemented successfully.

Jay Wright has talked about this quite a bit.

13 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The issue is he also has multiple absurd upsets. Strong teams that limit possessions make themselves more vulnerable to being upset. If you're the better team then you want more possessions to limit fluke results. But if your team is trained to play a style that results in fewer possessions then you can't just flip the switch when you're the much stronger roster. It's a genuine issue.

You’re right! Let’s go hire the coach that won’t lose. 

7 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

I wonder how much of those years success were Barnes system versus having two NBA point guards on roster?

System still plays a role. Would a lesser coach like Shaka gotten as much out of them? 

20 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Imagine you graduated and then went to work at small schools and then spent 10 years in Lubbock and then went to more small schools and then went back to Lubbock and then your alma mater the University of Texas called and said hey come home and also work in Austin in a brand new facility.

I'm not saying he'll definitely take it but acting surprised that he's open to discussion is strange. And it's not just you, of course.

I just thought he seemed to be ingrained at tech and really happy there.  obviously, it's hard to turn down your alma mater but with the way he seems to feel about tech i think some would be a bit surprised to see him leave for a conference rival.

obviously, i hope it happens!

8 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

You’re right! Let’s go hire the coach that won’t lose. 

6 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

There’s genuine issues with every coach. Get a coach that has an identity and will recruit the right guys for his system and we will win. Shaka didn’t have an identity and recruited random guys. If Greg brown and sims aren’t the right guys to run havoc then who the fuck is? 

No shit there are issues with every system. Comprehend more, post less. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

I'm hearing there's a lot of support among administration and BMD for Brad Brownell. A self described defense minded tactician, Brownell has a rapidly growing group of supporters in Austin. 

giphy.gif

The same Brad Brownell who has taken Clemson to 3 NCAA tournaments in 11 years?

29 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

it was raised earlier but Beard is set to make $5.1M next year at Tech. We'll have to beat that and then some. Is Texas going to pay more for a bball coach than the football coach? Is Texas willing to pay $6-7M/year for a bball coach?

I'd posit that Beard ain't leaving for that amount.  If given a chance to match, Tech has the donors to make it happen.

True enough, he might leave regardless.  I'd be very surprised if he did, unless it is for a Duke/ Kentucky/ UNC type job.

Edited by slorch

(Inside Texas) Coaching Hot Board: Basketball Edition

Spoiler

Shaka Smart is off to Marquette and currently there appears to be three realistic choices to replace him.

This isn't a speculation board. These are the names IT has been mentioning and continues to hear as the top choices.

HC Chris Beard, Texas Tech: We've called him the 'Urban Meyer' of the search, but that was just our way of saying he appears to be the top choice. We view Beard as more attainable than Meyer, and in a world that never experienced Covid, he might already be the head man in Austin. That's if you believe Covid saved Smart's job last year (it likely did). There's mutual interest between Beard and UT, but IT is also hearing Indiana and even Arizona, if the Wildcats move on from Sean Miller, could also pursue him. Both Indiana and Arizona would have a cheaper buyout to pay. On April 1st that number would be $2m for the Hoosiers and Wildcats and $4m for the Horns. Beard likes to re-up his contract frequently so you'd have to wonder if he'd use Indiana or Arizona to drive the price too high for Texas.

If Beard wants the job, he'll be the next head coach almost assuredly.

HC Dana Altman, Oregon: Altman led the Ducks to a #1 overall seed in 2016 but lost to OU in the Elite Eight. A year later he atoned by taking a 3-seed Ducks team to the Final Four. Before Oregon, he spent over 15 years at Creighon. He has the Ducks in the Sweet Sixteen currently, as they prepare to take on Pac 12 rival USC. His name has circulated behind the scenes for some time at Texas. Though we don't believe money is a huge factor, he would be considerably more affordable than Beard.

AC Royal Ivey, Brooklyn Nets: IT has been mentioning Ivey because the push from his NBA contemporaries is being listened to by Chris Del Conte. He's not just paying TJ Ford, Kevin Durant, et al, lip service. Sources IT talks to believes Ivey has future NBA head coach upside. There's a good chance he'll at least interview.

We'll add more names if it's merited.

Just now, sidis said:

i haven't read the deluge of comments yet but what has been said about alabama's coach?  good job at buffalo, brought football state school up the ranks quite quickly.  think he just got an extension. 

Nate Oats is awesome.

His buyout is exhorbitantly high.

Edited by Machinator

Just now, Machinator said:

Hide contents

Shaka Smart is off to Marquette and currently there appears to be three realistic choices to replace him.

This isn't a speculation board. These are the names IT has been mentioning and continues to hear as the top choices.

HC Chris Beard, Texas Tech: We've called him the 'Urban Meyer' of the search, but that was just our way of saying he appears to be the top choice. We view Beard as more attainable than Meyer, and in a world that never experienced Covid, he might already be the head man in Austin. That's if you believe Covid saved Smart's job last year (it likely did). There's mutual interest between Beard and UT, but IT is also hearing Indiana and even Arizona, if the Wildcats move on from Sean Miller, could also pursue him. Both Indiana and Arizona would have a cheaper buyout to pay. On April 1st that number would be $2m for the Hoosiers and Wildcats and $4m for the Horns. Beard likes to re-up his contract frequently so you'd have to wonder if he'd use Indiana or Arizona to drive the price too high for Texas.

HC Dana Altman, Oregon: Altman led the Ducks to a #1 overall seed in 2016 but lost to OU in the Elite Eight. A year later he atoned by taking a 3-seed Ducks team to the Final Four. Before Oregon, he spent over 15 years at Creighon. He has the Ducks in the Sweet Sixteen currently, as they prepare to take on Pac 12 rival USC. His name has circulated behind the scenes for some time at Texas. Though we don't believe money is a huge factor, he would be considerably more affordable than Beard.

AC Royal Ivey, Brooklyn Nets: IT has been mentioning Ivey because the push from his NBA contemporaries is being listened to by Chris Del Conte. He's not just paying TJ Ford, Kevin Durant, et al, lip service. Sources IT talks to believes Ivey has future NBA head coach upside. There's a good chance he'll at least interview.

Ya Indiana would have to pay a buyout that's 2 mil less...but they also just paid 10-11 mil to get off of Archie

4 minutes ago, sidis said:

i haven't read the deluge of comments yet but what has been said about alabama's coach?  good job at buffalo, brought football state school up the ranks quite quickly.  think he just got an extension. 

Oats (fuck we should have had him 2 years ago...stilll angry) has a new buyout.  Way too expensive.  

1 minute ago, The Dog said:

Oats' buyout is $12.5 million. Only the blue bloods will go after him IMHO.

Just now, Js1 said:

It's 12.5 million this year.

reroute my $250 trefiidy lifetime donation from earlier this week to this effort instead.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Hide contents

Arizona said recently they weren't making a change.

Unless the NCAA investigation goes to shit for them, but by then, it'd be too late. 

11 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Based on a couple articles I've read the oldest goes to Columbia and the other two are in HS in Abilene.

So a 2.5 hour drive from Lubbock or a 3.5 hour drive from Austin.  He'd still be close enough to most of his kids.  

Get him a driver(no Tiger) and consult with Phillip Rivers on how to buy the best work-sleep limo/Madden Cruiser.