SURLY ROAD TRIP 2021: Fayetteville - Texas at Arkansas, Sept. 11

LonghornSean

Fayette-nam. Last 'Horns trip there was in 2004 and was the Cedric Benson show with an assist from VY. Finally making up the game that was scheduled originally for 2014, I believe. I'm sure the Piggies will be hyped for the hated Longhorns to come to town after a 3-7 but positive start to the Sam Pittman era. A nice SEC appetizer for Sark's debut season, in between series with LSU and Bama.

Booked my flights and hotel over the weekend. Who else is up for the trip?

image.png.4ec770466982dcd0a0e01ddfba93844e.png

Tickets - who the fuck knows. let's hope stadiums are at full capacity.

What to do Friday/Saturday pregame - Come on Surly, let's hear your plans. Mine will be: bourbon. Other than that, I know nothing.

Last year's trip to Baton Rouge was a casualty of COVID, so let's get this non-conference show back on the road. For historical purposes, Previously on Shaggy/Surly Road Trips:

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/159671-SHAGGY-ROAD-TRIP-South-Bend-Chicago-Texas-vs-Notre-Dame-Sept-5

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/167425-SHAGGY-ROAD-TRIP-v2-Bay-Area-Texas-vs-Cal-17-Sept?s=a1508b681992c3c38c5988eec024fd05

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/174325-Road-Trip-2017-USC-Sept-16th

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/251-road-trip-2018-maryland-fedex-field-sept-1st-labor-day-weekend/

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/13104-surly-road-trip-2020-baton-rouge-texas-at-lsu-sept-12/ - (let's hope this get's rescheduled)

• Hook 'Em 1

Fuck. This just reminded me that Ced is no longer with us. Man, gone way too soon. 

My step father is an Arkansas grad, lives in Austin, and actually does like UT (not sure how this is possible) when Arky isn’t involved. We were talking about going. I hope he’s actually serious. 

Edited by MuellerHorn

6 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

Fuck. This just reminded me that Ced is no longer with us. Man, gone way too soon. 

My step father is an Arkansas grad, lives in Austin, and actually does like UT (not sure how this is possible) when Arky isn’t involved. We were talking about going. I hope he’s actually serious. 

Ugh. Gut punch. Yes, RIP El Ced. 

And I truly hope you get to go to this game with your Step Dad! 🤘🏻

4 hours ago, BornOrange said:

Pack your body armor, napalm, and dry socks when venturing into Fayettenam.

And make sure you gas up before crossing the border.

Got into 2 separate gas station fist fights my last time there. No joke. Like within 2 hours of each other

I went in 2004 and had a great time partying on Dickson Street Friday night and Saturday. The degenerates were mostly confined to the tailgate areas as the bars were a great time. Had a chance to close some plump Arkie girl Sat night but was too hammered and would likely have had Wang failure anyway.

Arkansas didn't manage clock well and Brian Robison stripped Matt Jones late.  I believe we then got a game winning FG to pull ahead 22-20. 

5 hours ago, BornOrange said:

Pack your body armor, napalm, and dry socks when venturing into Fayettenam.

And make sure you gas up before crossing the border.

This, especially the gas.

Brother went up there several times between the 1960s & 1990s and discovered early on those inbred yokels wouldn’t sell gas to cars with Texas plates & UT swag.

Cajun and I went in 2004. Great time. Hottest girl we talked was chewing tobacco. I’m crapping you negative. Going back this year as my good buddy’s daughter will be a freshman. We’re going to embarrass the hell out of her in front of her new pig friends. And I’m going to eat another giant steak at Doe’s. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

I am headed West to Vegas for the game. Not giving a penny of mine to that shithole state and that group of fucktard fans.

After that Texas bowl disaster in Houston if I never hear "pig-sooey" again it will be too fucking soon.

I considered going to this game as well but realized I will be in Las Vegas that weekend as well for a large industry event.

11 minutes ago, Nivek said:

So who will try to twist Bijan’s ankle? Will the big 12 officials look the other way again?

Missouri is the worst I've ever seen at this. BUT isn't Barry Odom the piggies DC now? If so I'm sure they're doing that sort of thing. He is a piece of crap.

On 3/22/2021 at 1:13 AM, LonghornSean said:

Fayette-nam. Last 'Horns trip there was in 2004 and was the Cedric Benson show with an assist from VY. Finally making up the game that was scheduled originally for 2014, I believe. I'm sure the Piggies will be hyped for the hated Longhorns to come to town after a 3-7 but positive start to the Sam Pittman era. A nice SEC appetizer for Sark's debut season, in between series with LSU and Bama.

Booked my flights and hotel over the weekend. Who else is up for the trip?

I think the game was scheduled for 2014 at one point, but that was after delaying from 2009.  The piggies have kicked this can down the road for more than a decade.

Current student, excited to try to round up a few friends and drive up from Austin. 

I did have a stupid question, having never tried to buy away game tickets for anything - are the prices right now as good as its going to get, or might more get dumped on the market as we get closer to the date?

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/23/2021 at 12:15 PM, ForTheCorner said:

Current student, excited to try to round up a few friends and drive up from Austin. 

I did have a stupid question, having never tried to buy away game tickets for anything - are the prices right now as good as its going to get, or might more get dumped on the market as we get closer to the date?

On 3/23/2021 at 12:15 PM, ForTheCorner said:

There is a 100% chance that prices will come down from what they are being listed now....

• 5 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

6pm kickoff. Let’s party

I'm driving back to Houston right after the game to watch the Texans first game, same as last time we played there, which was am 8 PM kickoff. Yeah!!! Two extra hours. 8 PM kickoff was kinda bad ass though.

Bernard

1 minute ago, Pig Bellmont said:

ProTip: Don’t bring a car with Texas plates near the stadium. 

RealProTip: Sit at home on your Idiocracy toilet chair in front a giant TV and don't give a single cent to that garbage state. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Lobo

I'm assuming Fayetteville hotels will fill up fast.  How's the ride-share scene up there, assuming Covid-19 is mostly over?  I think we'll have to stay by the airport or Bentonville at this point.  Other suburbs around there with decent hotels? 

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

I'm assuming Fayetteville hotels will fill up fast.  How's the ride-share scene up there, assuming Covid-19 is mostly over?  I think we'll have to stay by the airport or Bentonville at this point.  Other suburbs around there with decent hotels? 

I would assume Fayetteville hotels filled up 330 days before Sept 11 2021 as soon as rooms came online. 

In 2004 we stayed in Springdale. That was fine. Not as far away as Bentonville or XNA. Looks like there are still some Hilton family properties with vacancies that weekend. 

Guest Lobo

Well shit, rooms going fast. Looks like airport or Springdale it is.  Which works out fine, after we win, I've been told the best thing to do is just pickup pizza and beer and hunker down in your hotel room Ohio State '05 style.  Really don't want to mess with a rental car though either. 

Anybody ever been to the Crystal Bridges Museum of Art up that way?  Buildings/grounds look absolutely stunning.  

Anything on their campus worth seeing?