Texas beaches

Bevo

We are going fishing in Seadrift, TX this weekend. Seadrift is near Matagorda Bay/Port O'connor. What are the nicer beaches in the area? Basically, we will fish one day and then hopefully hangout on the beach the next day.

No beach access from Seadrift unless you have a boat. There is "town beach" in POC, but it's bay front, not gulf front. Your best bet for a beach you can drive to would be Port Aransas. You could also drive to Matagorda, but not sure that meets your "nice" requirement. It's about a 45 minute drive from Seadrift to Rockport/Aransas Pass. Then add in whatever the ferry line wait might be. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

No beach access from Seadrift unless you have a boat. There is "town beach" in POC, but it's bay front, not gulf front. Your best bet for a beach you can drive to would be Port Aransas. You could also drive to Matagorda, but not sure that meets your "nice" requirement. It's about a 45 minute drive from Seadrift to Rockport/Aransas Pass. Then add in whatever the ferry line wait might be. 

Thanks. By boat are there some good choices in the area?

29 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Thanks. By boat are there some good choices in the area?

By boat you can access "Sunday Beach", which is near Pass Cavallo near POC. What kind of boat do you have and where are you launching? If you don't know what you're doing, you can stick a boat pretty good. Lots of shallow water and sand bars getting back there. @fattyflattie or @Mac8111 probably know that area a little better than I do. I only do Sunday beach on our Father/Daughter trips, because the girls would rather hang out on the beach than fish. I usually follow one of the other dads that knows the area to get back there, but my little skiff only drafts around 4" running, so I don't have to be perfect. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

By boat you can access "Sunday Beach", which is near Pass Cavallo near POC. What kind of boat do you have and where are you launching? If you don't know what you're doing, you can stick a boat pretty good. Lots of shallow water and sand bars getting back there. @fattyflattie or @Mac8111 probably know that area a little better than I do. I only do Sunday beach on our Father/Daughter trips, because the girls would rather hang out on the beach than fish. I usually follow one of the other dads that knows the area to get back there, but my little skiff only drafts around 4" running, so I don't have to be perfect. 

Thanks. As far as boating, I am looking for a bay guide since I don't know the area well. Unfortunately, it is a last minute deal so I don't know if I'll be able to find someone. I guess offshore could be an option but it wasn't what I was originally thinking. 3 people - wife and son and me.

17 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Thanks. As far as boating, I am looking for a bay guide since I don't know the area well. Unfortunately, it is a last minute deal so I don't know if I'll be able to find someone. I guess offshore could be an option but it wasn't what I was originally thinking. 3 people - wife and son and me.

yea, Fatty and Mac could probably suggest guides. I run my own skiff and fly fish, so I don't keep up with the guide scene.

I asked about your boat because you'd need one to get to Sunday Beach. I doubt a guide would take you there, as it's more of a sand bar/drinking scene. 

• Like 1

Take your money and just go buy a shit ton of sea food. Fishing isn't that great right now after the freeze. Not terrible, but not what has been normally. Or save your money and go to Port A for the beach, and spend the money on food there.  

I assume your choice of Seadrift is related to a family member rather than beach pics from the Seadrift chamber of commerce. IF you are locked into that area, I have had great luck getting fresh shrimp from the little wholesale shack off 7th street near Clark's.  It's not signed, but is the metal building on the left right at the water if you were taking 7th street into ICW.  Bring CASH, and you can usually get a decent purchase.  That was nearly 2-1/2 years ago, but I assume it's still there.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Take your money and just go buy a shit ton of sea food. Fishing isn't that great right now after the freeze. Not terrible, but not what has been normally. Or save your money and go to Port A for the beach, and spend the money on food there.  

I assume your choice of Seadrift is related to a family member rather than beach pics from the Seadrift chamber of commerce. IF you are locked into that area, I have had great luck getting fresh shrimp from the little wholesale shack off 7th street near Clark's.  It's not signed, but is the metal building on the left right at the water if you were taking 7th street into ICW.  Bring CASH, and you can usually get a decent purchase.  That was nearly 2-1/2 years ago, but I assume it's still there.

Nah, we have a guide there that we have used for years. The wife and son aren't big fisherman but they would have fun on the airboat. They would probably want a day on the beach, though.

I'm from Texas but the wife is from Cali and the only beach that she has seen here is Galveston. We don't go to the beach because she'll compare it to the West Coast. So our beach trips have always involved a plane flight.

46 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

yea, Fatty and Mac could probably suggest guides. I run my own skiff and fly fish, so I don't keep up with the guide scene.

I asked about your boat because you'd need one to get to Sunday Beach. I doubt a guide would take you there, as it's more of a sand bar/drinking scene. 

I figured as much. We live in Austin and I could theoretically take the ski boat, but it isn't what I want to do. I was curious more than anything about boat access beaches. The wife is spoiled by nice beaches (and nice beach towns) and I probably am as well. We lived in Capitola (a small beach town near Santa Cruz) and it was only a 15mi drive or so to Monterey and Pacific Grove.

@Bevo It's been awhile since I've been down there,  I usually just take the kids down there now.  The days of drinking all day and fighting and chasing tail are long gone.  But beaches on either side of the Pass are good clean sand and ALOT less of a party scene.  Sometimes on the East side of the pass, a little eddy gets built that is about 1' deep and a few acres big.  The kids loved that when they were smaller.  Be careful at the pass around tide changes.  It's just something to keep an eye on. 

I don't do the guide thing but Capt. Pickle is a good guy I've met several times thru friends.  With regards to getting in and out of there, won't be an issue with any guide.  It changes all the time and I usually just put in because getting stuck in front of everyone sucks.  It was "deep" all over last time I went. 

http://www.saltydogoutfitters.com/

Of course all of Matagorda island is a beach if you want to make the walk, etc.  

If you do end up fishing with Pickle, see if you can guess how he got his name. 

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

@Bevo It's been awhile since I've been down there,  I usually just take the kids down there now.  The days of drinking all day and fighting and chasing tail are long gone.  But beaches on either side of the Pass are good clean sand and ALOT less of a party scene.  Sometimes on the East side of the pass, a little eddy gets built that is about 1' deep and a few acres big.  The kids loved that when they were smaller.  Be careful at the pass around tide changes.  It's just something to keep an eye on. 

I don't do the guide thing but Capt. Pickle is a good guy I've met several times thru friends.  With regards to getting in and out of there, won't be an issue with any guide.  It changes all the time and I usually just put in because getting stuck in front of everyone sucks.  It was "deep" all over last time I went. 

http://www.saltydogoutfitters.com/

Of course all of Matagorda island is a beach if you want to make the walk, etc.  

If you do end up fishing with Pickle, see if you can guess how he got his name. 

Well, his name is Pickle and he runs an operation called the Salty Dog. I have an idea - hide the wives and daughters.

Most of my guides are in POC.  One of them will be open, just depends on what you want to do.  Fishing hasn't been easy unless you are willing to go to the jetties.  If you are willing to make the drive to POC, let me know and I can message you some names and numbers.  They are all ones that I trust will fish as hard as they can to get you some action.  Most of them don't mind fishing a few hours and then taking you to Sunday Beach if that is something you are interested in.  

Seadrift Guides: Nathan Beabout  (he only throws artificials  but he knows his shit.)  I am sure the guys at Bayflats Lodge could book you a guide.  

Yes you can get to Sunday Beach by boat but that last storm last year really silted in a large part of it.  There is a channel but your best best is to follow a boat in.  Even then, you will have to walk a ways to get to the Gulf side of the beach.  I would just to go to Port A if your wife is going to be that particular.   The Front Beach area of POC is just on the bay at the end of town.  Easy park and walk though.  

Edited by Mac8111
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

Well, his name is Pickle and he runs an operation called the Salty Dog. I have an idea - hide the wives and daughters.

Damnit, didn't think about that, but no not to my knowledge.  That's funny though. 

So I met him through some friends who grew down there, family generations deep (think owned Matagorda Island before the war).   Anyhow, dudes face has something wrong with it where it's always all drawn up; looks like he just bit into a sour ass pickle.  I had a difficult time calling him that after I knew, and had called him that for several years prior.  They were all laughing and giving him shit so whatever.  But anyhow, he's a laid back fisherman, really good duck guide.  

I'll second what @Mac8111 said on the silt.  Not just the depth, but it was just muddy last time I was at SB proper.   Now we hang on the pass side, or what my kids call Friday and Saturday beach (east and west side of the pass).   

I forgot they've done alot of work to front beach.  But if you are looking for a real beach, impossible to beat Port A and south.   

• Like 1

I'm going to Port A, or to Corpus and to PINS (Padre Island National Seashore) if I am going from Austin. ESPECIALLY is the wife and son are not that into fishing.  You can go fart around on the Jetty while she looks for shells on the beach.  I actually love PINS, but Port A is a lot more fun for the family.  Hell they will probably have a good time riding the ferry and seeing a few porpoise.  Just walking the jetty and seeing what folks are catching and people watching makes Port A more interesting.  I will say that the beaches down on PINS are a little nicer as far as water quality.  And a little worse for debris and trash because it is not constantly groomed.

The only thing I dislike about the Seadrift/ O'Conner area is there just are not that many places to eat... that are open after 8 pm.  Tough when you have been fishing all day.

• Like 2

If your usual guide isn't available, why not just stay in Port A or Rockport? You can find a guide and fish, wife and non-fishers would have easier access to stuff to do. Not that the Seadrift Art Boat isn't a good time, but unless your wife likes sitting in the IGA parking lot watching the tweakers come and go there isn't much else to do. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

If your usual guide isn't available, why not just stay in Port A or Rockport? You can find a guide and fish, wife and non-fishers would have easier access to stuff to do. Not that the Seadrift Art Boat isn't a good time, but unless your wife likes sitting in the IGA parking lot watching the tweakers come and go there isn't much else to do. 

You could drop the wife off at the winery up the road in Long Mott...

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, horn4life said:

The only thing I dislike about the Seadrift/ O'Conner area is there just are not that many places to eat... that are open after 8 pm.  Tough when you have been fishing all day.

If you guys haven't been in a while, the new 5D steakhouse opened late Fall this year in POC.   Not saying it is great, but it is pretty nice by POC standards.  They stay open late and even had the Bellamy Brothers in concert there a couple of weeks ago and Aaron Watson played there this weekend. Concerts lined up all summer.   It has been packed every night I have driven by.  Again, not Bohannan's quality but they have your typical small town steakhouse menu: Sirloin, Ribeye, Burgers, Grilled Chicken, Chicken Fried Steak etc etc.  Worst wine list I have seen in a "steakhouse"  EVER. lol.  Bingo is on Thurs nights.  There is no way they will be able to find enough servers to handle the summer crowds.  

Crawfish Festival is April 24th.  I may be a judge again.  

In bad news, Dock's sandwich shop closed.   They had great food.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

If you guys haven't been in a while, the new 5D steakhouse opened late Fall this year in POC.   Not saying it is great, but it is pretty nice by POC standards.  They stay open late and even had the Bellamy Brothers in concert there a couple of weeks ago and Aaron Watson played there this weekend. Concerts lined up all summer.   It has been packed every night I have driven by.  Again, not Bohannan's quality but they have your typical small town steakhouse menu: Sirloin, Ribeye, Burgers, Grilled Chicken, Chicken Fried Steak etc etc.  Worst wine list I have seen in a "steakhouse"  EVER. lol.  Bingo is on Thurs nights.  There is no way they will be able to find enough servers to handle the summer crowds.  

Crawfish Festival is April 24th.  I may be a judge again.  

In bad news, Dock's sandwich shop closed.   They had great food.  

Damn Dock’s closed Again!  That was good food, what are the sisters doing now did they move? 5D I have no clue how they have expanded so fast and where they have, it makes no sense. I think the owners are just laundering money through it, every location including POC, Victoria, Karnes City, ect,  the consensus is terrible service and mediocre at best food but decent atmosphere for a drink.   

Edited by Hook1997

10 hours ago, horn4life said:

the only thing I dislike about the Seadrift/ O'Conner area is there just are not that many places to eat... that are open after 8 pm.  Tough when you have been fishing all day.

the taqueria in seadrift is open until 9, except on Sundays 

6 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

the taqueria in seadrift is open until 9, except on Sundays 

The boy and I eat there all the time. The new building is nice. Don't bother ordering a top shelf margarita, though. They just pour you a regular margarita and then pour a Patron floater in it. 

6 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Fish out of there a lot. It's a lot less crowded than POC. Especially in the summer and fall when half of Houston is down there. 

we either put in at seadrift and shoot across to fish the guadalupe delta or put in at charlies and hit welder flats or dewberry and all that 

15 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

we either put in at seadrift and shoot across to fish the guadalupe delta or put in at charlies and hit welder flats or dewberry and all that 

Mainly Charlie's, but I'm going to try the ramp at Swan Point this year. I've heard it's much nicer than Charlie's, and not nearly as crowded. If the weather is okay, I cross ESB and fish that area from Power Lake down to Cedar Lake pretty regularly. If it's windy, we'll fish Welders or Shoalwater. 

37 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Mainly Charlie's, but I'm going to try the ramp at Swan Point this year. I've heard it's much nicer than Charlie's, and not nearly as crowded. If the weather is okay, I cross ESB and fish that area from Power Lake down to Cedar Lake pretty regularly. If it's windy, we'll fish Welders or Shoalwater. 

maybe we hit it at odd hours but charlies has not busy our past couple of trips and they rebuilt their ramp area (we never fish on sat / sun). seadrift stay busier, imo 

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

maybe we hit it at odd hours but charlies has not busy our past couple of trips and they rebuilt their ramp area (we never fish on sat / sun). seadrift stay busier, imo 

I haven't been down to Seadrift since probably last September or October. We mainly fished Rockport fall and early winter. I haven't even had my boat in the water since early December. (Damn shame) Keeping an eye on weather and will bolt down the first good weather weekend we get. 

1 minute ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I haven't been down to Seadrift since probably last September or October. We mainly fished Rockport fall and early winter. I haven't even had my boat in the water since early December. (Damn shame) Keeping an eye on weather and will bolt down the first good weather weekend we get. 

same, we dont fish nearly enough