2021 Texas spring football thread

Machinator

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Goddamn. What a disaster of a career he's had here. And I'm not holding my breath on Whittington staying uninjured.

Last year didn’t count and looks like this one may not either. Still early for him if he ends up being on the 6 yr plan.

12 minutes ago, Red Five said:

He had six TDs as a freshman, and was injured for a lot of last year. I think "underwhelming" is more accurate than "a disaster". 

Hopefully he uses this down time to lose about 20 lbs. 

You might want to double check the poster you're quoting.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Vertigo said:

That first roll left is sick. If his play translates to live fire situations, then I don't see how this guy doesn't see the field next year in some capacity. 

Of course he'll see the field a lot next year.  He'll have a great view from the bench where he'll be watching Casey lead us to victory.  

Seriously, those are some pretty impressive throws.  Everyone keeps saying how good this kid is.  Can't wait until we get to see him unleashed.  

Inside Texas 2021 Spring Football Roundtable

Spoiler

The first practice of the Steve Sarkisian era is today. With a new head coach following a 7-3 season, what are the pressing issues for the Longhorn football program? The Inside Texas staff answers the hard questions on day one of actual football.

1. Aside from quarterback, what position battle are you watching the most in the next few weeks?

Eric Nahlin - Left tackle is the most important battle but I’ll be watching cornerback with more interest because all three corners are quality NFL athletes. That battle is extra interesting because it could possibly inform who ends up at nickel.

Justin Wells - Left tackle. It’s the most important spot on the O-line and will be protecting a new starter.

Ian Boyd - Wide receiver and left tackle have my attention. Sark has a much more aggressive style on offense than any previous Texas offensive coach I've seen, even including Sterlin Gilbert, but his inclination for the vertical passing game will need a left tackle and a deep threat wideout in order to land this season.

Joe Cook - Left tackle is the obvious one, with Christian Jones and Andrej Karic being the leading candidates. Protecting the blind side of a new quarterback is going to be one of the biggest challenges Sark and Kyle Flood will need to address. I'll offer that tight end is an important spot this spring, too. Will Cade Brewer maintain his starting spot or will Jared Wiley continue on his upward trajectory? What about Malcolm Epps? There are a lot of players here, even with Brayden Liebrock's injury.

Bobby Burton - Left tackle. Kyle Flood apparently wants a longer-armed left tackle and is set on flipping Christian Jones to that side of the line. But is Jones ready for the move and can he be consistent enough, or will Flood revert to Andrej Karic a week or two into practice?

Gerry Hamilton - Not sure it's a battle, but the shake out at left tackle. Texas has designs on Christian Jones being the left tackle, and that will be huge when looking at the Texas team next season. If Jones makes a big jump from year one to year two, and the staff is correct about him being the left tackle in this scheme, then the new staff has already won a key battle in roster evaluation. The staff likes Andrej Karic, but likes him at RT or OG more due to lack of arm length. They want to put Karic in the best position to be most successful long term, and Jones being able to take over at left tackle could expedite that process.

Scipio Tex - The OL is the obvious choice, but I'll go wide receiver. The hierarchies that Texas fans (and the last staff) held will not be shared by the new staff. Expect spirited competition, some epic pout transfers, and a general upending of the perceived "starting" receivers. Pay particular attention to how Kelvontay Dixon and Jordan Whittington are employed and pray for a full recovery from Troy Omeire.

2. Make a bold prediction: offensive player who will take the biggest step this spring.

Eric Nahlin - Jake Smith. Through scheme and beneficial S&C, I have faith in the staff’s ability to unlock the athlete we saw in high school. Ultimately it will be up to Jake to take the next step. If he doesn’t, there are talented athletes waiting to take his reps. (We're aware of the injury Smith suffered on the first day of practice).

Justin Wells - Kelvontay Dixon. Moochie can fly and this staff loves it.

Ian Boyd - Jake Smith should find the aggressive new system much more conducive to unlocking his explosiveness. Sark will regularly use the threat of the deep route to open everything else up and Smith has major double move/deep route potential. Jordan Whittington could also be due for a major leap since he'll be healthy and at wide receiver for the first time at Texas.

Joe Cook - Even if he already is considered one of the top four receivers, I think Jordan Whittington is going to stake a claim to one of the starting roles. Of course, he has to stay healthy. If he does that, he'll be able to showcase his special ability. The player that set records in the state championship game is still there, he just has to remain healthy enough to prove it.

Bobby Burton - I’ll go with Bijan Robinson. Bijan has something special about him as a player. We’ve all seen that. But I actually think his “big step” will be moving into a leadership position not only in the backfield but on the team as a whole. He can be the face of the franchise and a player everyone else points to.

Gerry Hamilton - Kelvontay Dixon or Jaden Alexis. The need for speed on offense is going to be key for Sarkisian and staff, and Dixon has the vertical speed needed for this staff to maximize their ability in year one. I'm going with Dixon, but watch for Alexis to turn heads out of the gate and take big steps from practice 1-2 to week two.

Scipio Tex - Christian Jones and Andrej Karic. Jones is a potentially dominant run blocker, but his pass blocking was a technical mess last year. Andrej Karic has a good skill set (for his age) and motor, but we haven't seen him against a top end pass rusher and he needs to master the tricks of the trade to become a high level performer. Let's see if Kyle Flood can live up to his reputation as an OL developer with two very different bookend pass protectors.

3. Make a bold prediction: defensive player who will take the biggest step this spring.

Eric Nahlin - Jerrin Thompson. After a confidence building end to his first year, and now the chance at a real spring practice bloc, I have Thompson as learning the defense quickly and cementing a starting role. Like with Smith, though, this pick is a bit of a gamble as there are versatile DBs who will push him.

Justin Wells - Kitan Crawford. Bug can play and this staff loves it.

Ian Boyd - I think there's a chance we see a fully realized, NFL prospect B.J. Foster after this spring. His assignments will be pared down somewhat by the new scheme. They appear to be utilizing him closer to the action as a strong safety, and the fit is quite good.

Joe Cook - I still am a firm believer in Keondre Coburn. I think playing a 1-technique as opposed to a 0-technique helped him a lot last year, but he has to be able to stay on the field for a series. There will be plenty of opportunity for him this spring with T'Vondre Sweat nursing an injury. Whenever Texas releases the 2021 roster, I don't expect him to weight 350 pounds. That's a plus.

Bobby Burton - B.J. Foster needs to assume the role of leader at safety. He needs to prove he can cover like a true safety while still bringing his ferocious hitting ability. If he can bring those two together, he’s an all-conference caliber player and someone Pete Kwiatkowski could point to as a leader.

Gerry Hamilton - Prince Dorbah. This may be more out of necessity or hope, but Texas needs Dorbah to begin to realize his edge ability. Dorbah has a pass rush ability the team needs in 2021-22 and the talent to make an impact.

Scipio Tex - Jerrin Thompson has a good opportunity to cement a starting safety job. The 2021 Longhorn defense is going to put a lot on the cornerbacks and nickel. Kwiatkowski needs reliable safety play to make it happen.

4. Which position coach has the biggest task ahead of him in the next few weeks?

Eric Nahlin - Kyle Flood. He has the biggest position group with the most uncertainty. Oh, and he has an offensive coordinator role to tend to. Fortunately for Flood, he does have a good amount of bodies to work with.

Justin Wells - Coach Flood. Getting the offensive line set and ready is the biggest priority, in my opinion.

Ian Boyd - Jeff Choate is inheriting some pretty raw young players and will need to teach them a different style of linebacker play and his most important charge, DeMarvion Overshown, will need to be developed without being able to see the field.

Joe Cook - I'll say Flood because he's tasked with figuring out who will replace Sam Cosmi, but I think Blake Gideon has a decent task ahead of him in replacing Caden Sterns and Chris Brown.

Bobby Burton - I’ll go with Jeff Choate with the linebackers. Not an overwhelming amount of experience and not a lot of “natural” linebackers on the roster. Plus, it’s a new scheme.

Gerry Hamilton - Kyle Flood without a doubt. The Texas OL has been the focus of nearly every Texas fan for a decade, and now it will come into focus even more with the former Alabama OL coach now in Austin. Fitting the pieces together, putting each OL in the best position to succeed and developing depth will all be looked at closely. With a first-year starter at quarterback next season, having the ability to provide protection and comfort in the pocket in a new and demanding offensive scheme is paramount.

Scipio Tex - Kyle Flood. I'll continue to hold that the Texas OL has better talent than conventional wisdom holds, but they need technical development and a better marriage of their skill sets and aptitudes to an offense that will take advantage of their abilities. Some of that is on Sark building out the offense accordingly, but Flood will have to grow a lot of inexperienced athletes quickly to find five good starters and three reliable backups.

5. Newcomer of the spring:

Eric Nahlin - Darion Dunn. Even with two starters returning, he has a real chance of being the best corner of camp.

Justin Wells - Juan Davis and Terrence Cooks. Both bring premium ability with strong mental capabilities.

Ian Boyd - Darion Dunn is perhaps the most talented cornerback on the roster, which is really saying something. There's a highly possible future in which Texas is very competitive in 2021 because they were able to move Josh Thompson or D'Shawn Jamison to nickel and locked up Big 12 opponents with NFL athletes on all three of their top receivers.

Joe Cook - Darion Dunn for the conventional positions, but I'll go off the wall here with Isaac Pearson. Ryan Bujcevski is still nursing a knee injury, so all the punting duties will go to Pearson. I think we'll hear about the punter a few times.

Bobby Burton - Darrion Dunn will figure into the secondary somehow, some way. I think the transfer is too talented to sit on the sideline. So whether he takes one of the corner positions and that allows either D’Shawn Jamison or Josh Thompson to move inside, or Dunn himself gets a look at nickel, he figures to add both talent and experience to a secondary that could really use it.

Gerry Hamilton - Darion Dunn. The McNeese State transfer will push returning cornerbacks, and has the best combination of height, speed and ability to stay attached on campus. Dunn, along with Jamison, Thompson and Crawford, will provide the new defensive staff with talent and depth at corner.

Scipio Tex - McNeese State transfer Darion Dunn. The cornerback was a first-team All-Southland Conference performer and has a very good chance to grab a starting cornerback job, pushing Josh Thompson to nickel or CB3.

6. Spring Gaskamp:

Eric Nahlin - Jacoby Jones. He’s one of a few who fit the criteria and he happens to play an important role that’s thin with options. Ray Thornton would probably be eligible at LSU. If that carries over he’s another good option.

Justin Wells - Jacoby Jones

Ian Boyd - Jacoby Jones has a chance to take over the crucial Jack position. I'm sure the hope is for Jones to be the winner of this prestigious award.

Joe Cook - Brenden Schooler had four interceptions his freshman year at Oregon. I think his experience in the game and good-enough athleticism will help Texas in replacing Sterns and Brown.

Bobby Burton - We already know he’s going to be a force on special teams, but Brenden Schooler’s move to safety could give Texas an important additional option on the back end.

Gerry Hamilton - Jaylen Garth. Dream big here for Texas fans and the staff. Really talented OL prospect that has struggled returning from injury. Practiced leading up to the bowl game, and if healthy has the frame, arm length and baseline talent that the new staff covets.

Scipio Tex - Jacoby Jones has a clear path. The opportunity is there for him. He needs to grab it or lose ground to the incoming grad transfers.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

[quote]The players appreciate how this staff treats them.[/quote]

You mean that Sark's not a fucking asshole that  plays more mind games than a crazy 19 year old girlfriend?  

Refreshing. 

I think what they are saying is that Sark is not Herman who unsurprisingly played mind games like he was a teenage girl.

14 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Gotta work on his handsign, lol, but then again so does McConaughey and everyone under 35 punching the air with it on every damned beat of The Eyes.

Also, get off my lawn.

Why the fuck do people get so grumpy about this? As long as the horns are in the air, who gives a shit?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Why the fuck do people get so grumpy about this? As long as the horns are in the air, who gives a shit?

Because it's wrong and it's really easy to pay attention and get it right, if one simply gives a shit about getting it right.

Anyway, back to the football talk.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Hook 'Em 8

30 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Because of Smith?   

So, there is a training regimen to improve the strength of the bones on one's foot?

Well all weight bearing exercises will do that. Proprioception type exercises can be added in to improve awareness that could help decrease chance of injury /PT nerd 🤓 

• Hook 'Em 1