2021 Texas spring football thread

Machinator

2 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

Am I the only one who cringes when I hear these writers addressing coaches by their first names, or nicknames?   I just think it's a sign of disrespect in an attempt to be more 'in' than they are.  I can't imagine anyone having addressed Coach Royal as Darrell.   Coach really isn't hard to say.  Use it.   

Done yelling at clouds.  Carry on.

Ain't that the truth.

14 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

Am I the only one who cringes when I hear these writers addressing coaches by their first names, or nicknames?   I just think it's a sign of disrespect in an attempt to be more 'in' than they are.  I can't imagine anyone having addressed Coach Royal as Darrell.   Coach really isn't hard to say.  Use it.   

I hear ya.  But simply win a couple big 12 Championships and demand to be called coach!

14 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

You're not the only one for sure. I hear FCB and his ilk start the question off with "Hey Sark" and I want to punch them even more than I already do. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Yeah, I picked up on FCB and his "Sark". In my mind, that was why he got the unresponse he deserved.
  • Hook 'Em 5

On 4/2/2021 at 5:08 PM, Herbie Hancock said:

Zenter’s closed years ago and Lowake moved to Rowena. Best spot to eat in SA is the Dairy Queen. Hard pass

Been craving some Lowake, hate that they moved.  They were only a few miles from my daughters house.  It was always a go to when we went to visit.

Ketch/OB practice notes for the weekend

Spoiler
No. 3 - A few weekend Texas football notes...

After digging around over the weekend, here are some Spring football notes to pass along...

* I'm told that the coaches want to see more from the players. While the attitude from the coaches has been very positive, I was told that they are making it clear that they are going to demand more of the entire team that it is used to delivering. Everything about the team was described as a major work in progress.

* You guys know that I'm all aboard Team Hudson Card as the President of his fan club, but the early reports on the quarterback battle between Card and Thompson suggest that it's way too early to draw any major conclusions. "Both are still processing what the coaches are asking them to do. The good news is that both guys look the part. Each have had moments and each have had a few moments they'd want to take back. I'm not sure the real battle has truly started yet, but maybe that will change this week."

* Believe it or not, I didn't really hear Bijan Robinson's name much in the conversations I had this weekend. I need to check back to ask about the running game a little more specifically in follow up conversations this week because I didn't really hear much buzz about the running game in general, although Roschon Johnson has been a player that was mentioned throughout the last week leading into the weekend.

* Jordan Whittington is having a very good start to the spring. "I don't want to say too much too soon, but I think he's been the best looking guy on that side of the ball," one source said on Sunday. "I don't think there's any battle at all between him and anyone else. He's someone else we have to have on the field this year. I don't know that there's anyone else I would say that about at receiver."

* The Troy Omeire Express hasn't completely left the station, but it's getting closer. There's a buzz about his return. I've not heard of anything close to a setback at this point for him in his recovery from his knee surgery.

* Second-year center Jake Majors was described as a player that gets better every single day. If there's a slight concern from digging around this weekend, I'd say the lack of concrete buzz coming along the offensive line is concerning. When I asked one source this weekend if there was anyone from that group that has surprised in a good way, the source said, "Not really." Depth remains a major concern. "I think this is the area of the team that needs some help from transfers if it can happen."

* Josh Thompson might have been the best player on the entire team through the first full week of camp. Buy as much stock of Thompson as you can get your hands on. He's adapted to what the new coaches are putting down in front of him and flying around like someone that is a first name on the team sheet kind of player.

* Newcomer Darion Dunn and D'Shawn Jamison were the other two names among the defensive backs mentioned to me on Sunday. I asked about Anthony Cook, who has received some buzz lately, but I was told that Thompson was on one plane, Dunn and Jamison on another and then Cook after that.

* Overall, the defensive line and the secondary were the two area on the team was were described as the best-performing parts of the team from the last week. Overall, the defensive backs might be the group that had the best week since the return of workouts this week.

* Most impressive linebacker on the roster thus far: "David Gbenda. He just looks comfortable," one source said. I asked about LSU transfer Ray Thornton and was told that he's still settling in and there's not much yet to report. "You can tell we don't have (Joseph Ossai and Demarvion Overshown) on the field. Everyone feels like they are kind of trying out (at linebacker)" the same source said.

• Hook 'Em 4

46 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Ketch/OB practice notes for the weekend

Reveal hidden contents
No. 3 - A few weekend Texas football notes...

After digging around over the weekend, here are some Spring football notes to pass along...

* I'm told that the coaches want to see more from the players. While the attitude from the coaches has been very positive, I was told that they are making it clear that they are going to demand more of the entire team that it is used to delivering. Everything about the team was described as a major work in progress.

* You guys know that I'm all aboard Team Hudson Card as the President of his fan club, but the early reports on the quarterback battle between Card and Thompson suggest that it's way too early to draw any major conclusions. "Both are still processing what the coaches are asking them to do. The good news is that both guys look the part. Each have had moments and each have had a few moments they'd want to take back. I'm not sure the real battle has truly started yet, but maybe that will change this week."

* Believe it or not, I didn't really hear Bijan Robinson's name much in the conversations I had this weekend. I need to check back to ask about the running game a little more specifically in follow up conversations this week because I didn't really hear much buzz about the running game in general, although Roschon Johnson has been a player that was mentioned throughout the last week leading into the weekend.

* Jordan Whittington is having a very good start to the spring. "I don't want to say too much too soon, but I think he's been the best looking guy on that side of the ball," one source said on Sunday. "I don't think there's any battle at all between him and anyone else. He's someone else we have to have on the field this year. I don't know that there's anyone else I would say that about at receiver."

* The Troy Omeire Express hasn't completely left the station, but it's getting closer. There's a buzz about his return. I've not heard of anything close to a setback at this point for him in his recovery from his knee surgery.

* Second-year center Jake Majors was described as a player that gets better every single day. If there's a slight concern from digging around this weekend, I'd say the lack of concrete buzz coming along the offensive line is concerning. When I asked one source this weekend if there was anyone from that group that has surprised in a good way, the source said, "Not really." Depth remains a major concern. "I think this is the area of the team that needs some help from transfers if it can happen."

* Josh Thompson might have been the best player on the entire team through the first full week of camp. Buy as much stock of Thompson as you can get your hands on. He's adapted to what the new coaches are putting down in front of him and flying around like someone that is a first name on the team sheet kind of player.

* Newcomer Darion Dunn and D'Shawn Jamison were the other two names among the defensive backs mentioned to me on Sunday. I asked about Anthony Cook, who has received some buzz lately, but I was told that Thompson was on one plane, Dunn and Jamison on another and then Cook after that.

* Overall, the defensive line and the secondary were the two area on the team was were described as the best-performing parts of the team from the last week. Overall, the defensive backs might be the group that had the best week since the return of workouts this week.

* Most impressive linebacker on the roster thus far: "David Gbenda. He just looks comfortable," one source said. I asked about LSU transfer Ray Thornton and was told that he's still settling in and there's not much yet to report. "You can tell we don't have (Joseph Ossai and Demarvion Overshown) on the field. Everyone feels like they are kind of trying out (at linebacker)" the same source said.

Hopefully Flood can improve the oline.  Not much buzz even against an Osai-less dline.  With a new QB gonna need a decent oline more than ever.

Everything about the team was described as a major work in progress.

I know we're hyped about this team but I'm starting to feel this way, too. I don't think the rebuild will yield a bunch of immediate results and we should probably get used to that idea.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, westexhorn said:

Hopefully Flood can improve the oline.  Not much buzz even against an Osai-less dline.  With a new QB gonna need a decent oline more than ever.

True, but Bijan should keep defenses honest and allow some one on one match ups for Moore and Whittington and Wiley

9 hours ago, westexhorn said:

They have barely gotten through the first week of Spring practice what kind of buzz do you expect to here?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, lazygringo said:

I know we're hyped about this team but I'm starting to feel this way, too. I don't think the rebuild will yield a bunch of immediate results and we should probably get used to that idea.

"rebuild?" I'm not expecting a playoff run in 2021, but I can't really get behind the notion that this staff is facing a rebuild. There's plenty of talent on the roster to go with a forgivable schedule. If they're not 10wins+ after the bowl game, "7 Win Steve" will be feeding the fires around his so far well-earned nickname. Dude's getting paid $5+ and his staff's getting another $5+ in the Big 12. They need to be putting a lot of W's up in 2021 and building on it.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

"rebuild?" I'm not expecting a playoff run in 2021, but I can't really get behind the notion that this staff is facing a rebuild. There's plenty of talent on the roster to go with a forgivable schedule. If they're not 10wins+ after the bowl game, "7 Win Steve" will be feeding the fires around his so far well-earned nickname. Dude's getting paid $5+ and his staff's getting another $5+ in the Big 12. They need to be putting a lot of W's up in 2021 and building on it.

Offense - Our offensive line is average. Our wide receivers are average. Our quarterback is an unknown. Our running backs are great.

Defense - Our linebackers suck. Our defensive line and defensive backs are very, very good. Defensive end could be better at getting to the QB.

--- Unless we improve our linebacker play and our offensive line play, we have holes which teams can exploit. I liked our talent better in 2020 and those guys didn't perform on the field like they were capable.

1 hour ago, Eggo said:

I find it really refreshing that this staff isn't pumping out koolaid about the team. It feels like everyone else was putting an All World on the field in the spring and left us all disappointed come fall. 

"It's good that media reports say we're kind of shitty!"

• Hook 'Em 1

FUCK THAT.

We have a ton of talent on this roster.

With Flood in place and a great offensive scheme, our OLine will be and look much, much better. Every single player is a high three star to four star or better. They will be an above average unit.

The RB is the shit. Heisman. 

The WR room is LOADED. IF we actually run route combinations aimed at getting them open rather than being stubborn about MAH offense. WRs will dominate.

QB: we either get the second coming of Aaron Rogers or someone that made Colorado look like they just started playing football. QB in Sark's system will be in the Heisman conversation along with Bijan. QB will be way above average.

The talent on D is elite. Put that shit in PK's scheme and we are going to fuck shit up in the B12.

SHOW ME A LOSS!!!! B12 Champions, CF Playoffs. Watch out world, Texas is coming for ya!

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1