2021 Texas spring football thread

Machinator

15 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Offense - Our offensive line is average. Our wide receivers are average. Our quarterback is an unknown. Our running backs are great.

Defense - Our linebackers suck. Our defensive line and defensive backs are very, very good. Defensive end could be better at getting to the QB.

--- Unless we improve our linebacker play and our offensive line play, we have holes which teams can exploit. I liked our talent better in 2020 and those guys didn't perform on the field like they were capable.

8 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

FUCK THAT.

We have a ton of talent on this roster.

With Flood in place and a great offensive scheme, our OLine will be and look much, much better. Every single player is a high three star to four star or better. They will be an above average unit.

The RB is the shit. Heisman. 

The WR room is LOADED. IF we actually run route combinations aimed at getting them open rather than being stubborn about MAH offense. WRs will dominate.

QB: we either get the second coming of Aaron Rogers or someone that made Colorado look like they just started playing football. QB in Sark's system will be in the Heisman conversation along with Bijan. QB will be way above average.

The talent on D is elite. Put that shit in PK's scheme and we are going to fuck shit up in the B12.

SHOW ME A LOSS!!!! B12 Champions, CF Playoffs. Watch out world, Texas is coming for ya!

Aside from your sarcasm, I think what you say about the OL is absolutely true. It’s amazing how a scheme and coaching can effect OL play. We haven’t had good OL coaching since the guy who is at UTSA now  was here.

I know you’ve spoken highly of Card but how do you honestly see the battle playing out?

Edited by BurntOrange&White

9 hours ago, Fletch said:

True, but Bijan should keep defenses honest and allow some one on one match ups for Moore and Whittington and Wiley

Wiley?  You really think there will be enough balls to go around for Cade Brewer’s backup?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

WR is undervalued at this point. A group of Whittington, Moore, Omeire, and Smith isn't average. Or god damn shouldn't be anyway. 

None of those guys have stayed healthy consistently. It's still potential until we see production.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Aside from your sarcasm, I think what you say about the OL is absolutely true. It’s amazing how a scheme and coaching can effect OL play. We haven’t had good OL coaching one since the guy who is at UTSA now  

I know you’ve spoken highly of Card but how do you honestly see the battle playing out?

Card is the real deal. He is a tough minded kid that won't buckle under the stress of the job. The stage will not be too big for him. His family moved to LT in 8th grade so he could play for LT. Kid was ready to play in the State Championship game against Allen as a soph who spent the whole year playing WR. He made a couple of mistakes early and then played his ass off to bring LT almost all the way back. He did the same thing against North Shore. He never gave up. He battled.

Now, saying all of the above, I wouldnt have given Casey a chance until I saw him slice up Colorado. He looked like an epiphany in that game. I was like WTF??? If he can play like that all the time, it doesnt make a shit who is playing QB because they will be lighting it up!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Longhorn94 said:

Card is the real deal. He is a tough minded kid that won't buckle under the stress of the job. The stage will not be too big for him. His family moved to LT in 8th grade so he could play for LT. Kid was ready to play in the State Championship game against Allen as a soph who spent the whole year playing WR. He made a couple of mistakes early and then played his ass off to bring LT almost all the way back. He did the same thing against North Shore. He never gave up. He battled.

Now, saying all of the above, I wouldnt have given Casey a chance until I saw him slice up Colorado. He looked like an epiphany in that game. I was like WTF??? If he can play like that all the time, it doesnt make a shit who is playing QB because they will be lighting it up!!!

Yeah I watched Card play WR vs Judson at DKR. Thought he was arguably the 3rd-4th best athlete on the field that day. 

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Aside from your sarcasm, I think what you say about the OL is absolutely true. It’s amazing how a scheme and coaching can effect OL play. We haven’t had good OL coaching since the guy who is at UTSA now  was here.

Card takes the job, wins 2 Heismans, breaks every NCAA record possible, and some team gives up all its draft picks to move up and take him first in the 2023 NFL draft.

/Longhorn94 5 years ago

Edited by Bevo14
  • Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Card takes the job, wins 2 Heismans, breaks every NCAA record possible, and some team gives up all its draft picks to move up and take him first in the 2023 NFL draft.

/Longhorn94 5 years ago

And then the first new edition of NCAA football video game has Texas as a top 5 team, which is what I really care about. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

/Longhorn94 5 years ago

i mean its not just possible but likely...

• Haha 3

"I cant remember a worse/more unproven WR corps at Texas than what we had last year and going into this season"

30wzm7.png.ff278966b23f0d2b502240857f7d30ce.png

Worst...not a chance. There is a shit ton of talent in that WR room.

Unproven....maybe. However I think (when healthy and actually on the field) Smith, Moore, and Whittington have all shown tons of potential. 

Edited by Lou_Sassle
  • Hook 'Em 2

I cant remember a worse/more unproven WR corps at Texas than what we had last year and going into this season

In the Tech game (and others), the gap between Tech’s receivers and ours was massive. Agree it was one of the weakest units last year. The drop in production was similar to 2010 after Jordan Shipley left.

Our oline brings promise but is more inexperienced than in the previous few years.

And we go in with one proven linebacker and without Ossai’s rare abilities. And we were not a good pass rushing team even with Ossai.

Our recruiting class was a transition class.

We’ll be coming in with a 1st year coaching staff. They have talent to work with, it’s elite for the Big12, but let’s not pretend that there are not major issues here. We had some regression, softness, and rot.

My expectations are for slow start for the offense, the defense gets exposed a few times, and an 9-4 finish with a bowl win. By the end, the cream rises, we secure a Top 3 class, and Year 2 we start to distance ourselves from the Big 12 dreg, and consistently compete with OU.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

So we will have an OL that can block 2 OU rushers with 4 OL and can pick up stunts? Because that would be an improvement.  I think we will be able to tell just where this team can go when we see the OL play solid mistake free.  Also the receiver group will be damn good if Whittington can stay healthy period. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Most teams have holes. The OL talent isn't average and will be higher ranked from a recruiting perspective than all but one team that they play. The same is true for pretty much every other position. You cannot middle the premise that this team has recruited talent and this staff has a rep for coaching up talent into "oh, it's a rebuild" or "man, there sure are a lot of holes on that roster". 

I guess you can be that guy that follows recruiting and then believes that recruiting doesn't matter, or something. I'm past that stage in my understanding of the sport. Texas has talent. It's not in a spot to be CFP-calibre yet, but it is certainly in a spot where it should beat every school on the schedule consistently that isn't named OU or whoever the big non-con opponent is. This year, there isn't even a big non-con. Louisiana will be ranked, but Texas should beat Louisiana any time they're on the field together. Arkansas is a mediocrity potentially in ascent, and that's it.

The talent and depth can improve. Great. 10 wins or fucking leave. This isn't a rebuild and anyone equivocating for the staff with that is ridiculous. 

I agree that this isn't a rebuild but we have some holes on the roster and we need a lot of things to break right for 10 wins

The OL has talent but 3/5 of our starters next year will be juniors or younger. We've talked ad nauseam about the benefits of letting OL sit and cook for several years so let's not ignore that now. The good news is that Flood and Bijan will make them look average at worst

Our WRs not named Whittington, Omeire, Moore, or Smith don't deserve any hype. Seriously, no one else has been a net positive on the field. And those four guys all have major questions about them. Even if our WR and TE rooms overperform, they're still going to be a significant step down from Bama last year. I've been watching a lot of Sark film and he's a very good playcaller, but his skill talent was the reason Bama was an elite offense last year. I also have some questions about how some of his principles will match up against Big 12 defenses, though I do think he'll adapt quickly if some parts of his offense aren't working

I don't quite get all the hype for our DBs. Jamison had a good stretch last year but we lost our best DB to the draft and will have two new starters at safety. I love Gideon's recruiting so far but he and Joseph are going to be a big step down from Jimmy Lake and PK's defense puts a lot of pressure on his safeties. Run D will be stout but our pass D is going to have some ups and downs. Jamison/Thompson/Dunn/Crawford should be a good rotation but reports of them looking elite don't mean much when they're facing our WRs. 

My take is that this roster has a base of 8 wins with each positive development adding another win i.e. Omeire and Wiley are the real deal and we're at 9, BJ Foster remembers how to play D and Jerrin Thompson exceeds expectations gets us to 10, Flood gets the line coached up to be the best in a decade and we're at 11, we figure out the nickel spot and our corners match the 2017 team and we're at 12, etc. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Longhorn94 said:

Careful with posting facts. The Maalik Murphy MafiaTM will try to convince you that despite never having thrown a touchdown pass until this year, Murphy is just as experienced as Card was in HS. 

This is not a slam against Murphy. I hope he turns out to be amazing for us. This is about delusional, uniformed posters.  

• Hook 'Em 2

FUCK THAT.

We have a ton of talent on this roster.

With Flood in place and a great offensive scheme, our OLine will be and look much, much better. Every single player is a high three star to four star or better. They will be an above average unit.

The RB is the shit. Heisman. 

The WR room is LOADED. IF we actually run route combinations aimed at getting them open rather than being stubborn about MAH offense. WRs will dominate.

QB: we either get the second coming of Aaron Rogers or someone that made Colorado look like they just started playing football. QB in Sark's system will be in the Heisman conversation along with Bijan. QB will be way above average.

The talent on D is elite. Put that shit in PK's scheme and we are going to fuck shit up in the B12.

SHOW ME A LOSS!!!! B12 Champions, CF Playoffs. Watch out world, Texas is coming for ya!

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

In the Tech game (and others), the gap between Tech’s receivers and ours was massive. Agree it was one of the weakest units last year. The drop in production was similar to 2010 after Jordan Shipley left.

This. There were a number of games where the contrast was very clear. Hell, throughout the season watching other non-Texas games I would get wide receiver envy.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

those boys are havin the time of their lives...

45 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Damn, I was hoping we wouldn’t have to punt this season.

Right now I'm hoping we punt on 1st down.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, F250 said:

This. There were a number of games where the contrast was very clear. Hell, throughout the season watching other non-Texas games I would get wide receiver envy.

Can't wait to see the new WR coach get his hands on these kids....

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Was that bijan that couldn’t be taken down? Had to be 

Jamison.

Can't tell who split the two on the first play, but he left BJ in the dust.  BJ can't afford to get beat deep because his recovery speed is not good.

23 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Our oline brings promise but is more inexperienced than in the previous few years.

And we go in with one proven linebacker and without Ossai’s rare abilities. And we were not a good pass rushing team even with Ossai.

Our recruiting class was a transition class.

We’ll be coming in with a 1st year coaching staff. They have talent to work with, it’s elite for the Big12, but let’s not pretend that there are not major issues here. We had some regression, softness, and rot.

My expectations are for slow start for the offense, the defense gets exposed a few times, and an 9-4 finish with a bowl win. By the end, the cream rises, we secure a Top 3 class, and Year 2 we start to distance ourselves from the Big 12 dreg, and consistently compete with OU.

9-4 with a bowl win...   Texas is BACK... AGAIN... MAYBE.

I'm encouraged by the reports on Jake Majors. Pre-injury Derek Kerstetter is one of our best 5 OL players, but he was miscast at Center. It's a small sample size, but I really need Majors to take that job.

It's cliche, but the only person who could stop Bijan Robinson was Tom Herman. RoJo is a punishing back. He'll absolutely need to perform his special skull busting magic in order for this team to achieve, but Robinson forces a defense to line up differently. When he's on the field, a defense absolutely has to devote resources his way - thus taking them out of the play. Taking him off the field deliberately is just out-thinking yourself.

Football still relies on its fundamentals. Don't run a play unless you can block it. Running the football is still safer way to play, and makes throwing it easier. Having an offensive mindset that plays within the limits of the OL will make everyone else's skills that much better.

I'm not worried much about the OL run game. I think they are capable of firing off and blocking people and will do so more often than they let some DL through to get us for a 2-yard loss. The pass blocking is a concern but I trust Flood improves it and I suspect having a smart center will make a difference too.

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I cant remember a worse/more unproven WR corps at Texas than what we had last year and going into this season

Take a look at 2015. I highlighted our top four in terms of production. John Burt led us in yardage and TDs with some pretty big numbers. 

image.png.561c69d62000e1f56d29debe2d8f182f.png

• Rage+1 2

Take a look at 2015. I highlighted our top four in terms of production. John Burt led us in yardage and TDs with some pretty big numbers. 

Jerrod Heard was our QB and Jay Norvell/Wickline were our offensive coordinators. So its hard to compare. Nevertheless, thats not a great group. though Marcus Johnson is still in the league

1 hour ago, immamac said:

I mean is it just me or do these practices look totally different than the ones we got to see under herman? This seems fucking explosive. 

I mean is it just me or do these practices look totally different than the ones we got to see under[insert previous coach name here]? This seems fucking explosive. 

Yet I choose to believe you are correct because that’s what we do as fans that post on message boards in the middle of a work day. 

Edited by mantis toboggan
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Did we fake a punt on the Holton Hill reception? I don't remember that at all.

Who would have thought we had two NFL tight ends on that team. Certainly not the guy who kept trying to play one of them at QB.

47 minutes ago, F250 said:

Sam was very inaccurate downfield last year.  That was a big part of the problem.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

WR is undervalued at this point. A group of Whittington, Moore, Omeire, and Smith isn't average. Or god damn shouldn't be anyway. 

Marcus Washington was a high 4* WR as well. The guys doesn't appear to be lazy or a nut case. Hopefully, he sees some playing time and develops.

24 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Sam was very inaccurate downfield last year.  That was a big part of the problem.

The line struggled in pass coverage, so this didn't help an already twitchy QB that seemed like he was rushing everything and not at ease in the pocket or on the run.  

28 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

It was 50% his inaccuracy and 50% the receivers' inability to beat press man coverage.

Sarkisians entire philosophy of offense last year seemed to be to force a defense to play man coverage to stop RPOs and then attack that man coverage.

We desperately need some receivers to figure out how to beat a press and how to separate.