2021 Texas spring football thread

Machinator

8 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I think some of the 995er reports mentioned Helm as well. It would be awesome if he can be a hit and do what Foristall did for Bama by his second year. Also really good to hear about Thompson. We’re going to need him to step up at safety. PK traditionally likes to use a 1 high safety, though I’m not sure he’ll be able to use it as much in the Big 12, but Foster’s the other safety, then we’ll need Thompson to be able to handle center field. 

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Awesome to hear for RoJo. He’s one of my absolute favorite players. He’s a tremendously unselfish guy, a great leader, and it’s good to see how work ethic translating off the field as well. 

• Hook 'Em 8

22 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

Did we fake a punt on the Holton Hill reception? I don't remember that at all.

Who would have thought we had two NFL tight ends on that team. Certainly not the guy who kept trying to play one of them at QB.

tbh, he wasn't trying to play him there...  

Dixon was awful as a freshmen
He was either great or shankopotamus..but some of those shanks were devestating, I'll give you that. I don't have any ill will for any of the players that sped up the timeline on moving Charlie along to another job..just wished we had gotten the right replacement.

1 hour ago, MichaelDicksonFanClub said:

Josh Thompson posted on his Instagram story of him getting a shot somewhere in the UT facilities, caption was #1 so hoping this means the team was given the option for vaccines

Vaccine distribution center opened in the Hall of Fame this week. Students/faculty/athletic dept. staff eligible. 

• Hook 'Em 1

(CJ Vogel) Sourced team notes

Spoiler

Was able to connect with a source regarding the early spring practice sessions so far. It’s been a mixed bag of reviews so far, but things are still early and the team is still getting used to the new normal.

*** I was told the practice sessions are much different than under Tom Herman. There’s no loud music speaker blasting all practice. There is always something for guys to be doing at practice, whether it’s off on the side or on the field, there is rarely standing around.

Roschon touched on this in his press conference today, he said the offense is much more “methodical” in practice. He said the fast tempo approach to get as many plays in as fast as possible is no longer in practice.

*** I was told the staff is rotating in “pods” that were predetermined before camp (though for team settings, they try to get best on best). What this means is that there are not “first teams” or “second teams” yet. Players were grouped into a pod with other players that would compliment their position in a game. This basically allows for every player to be given a fresh look and for equal reps and evals from the coaches. [Super K] touched on this at the start of spring ball.

*** Onto the team. I’m a bit skeptical about the wide receivers after talking with my source. The source said that drops have been commonplace so far. Depth may also be an interesting thing to follow, especially in the fall with Jake Smith and Troy Omeire expected to miss the entire spring session.

*** There is a greater emphasis on the running backs in the pass game. This was expected as Sark is known to preach getting his best athletes the ball in space and this certainly fits.

*** Daniel Young is back in action. He rattled off a couple nice runs in the team portion of practice.

*** A healthy Jordan Whittington is said to be one of the best playmakers on the team. Whit has made a number of jaw-dropping catches in practice so far, including a ridiculous catch over two defenders on the first day of padded practice.

*** Was told Brenden Schooler has been looking solid now that he’s back at safety.

*** Two freshmen are looking physically impressive in practice so far. CB Jamier Johnson and WR Jaden Alexis.

More on Johnson, he is running in the second group currently. Think Texas got a really good player with his signing in December.

*** The normal participants are getting looks at kickoff return – Bijan Robinson, D’Shawn Jamison and Roschon Johnson.

*** The source said the OL is certainly a work in progress, though this is how the first two groups looked this morning.

First Group OL:

LT – Christian Jones
LG – Denzel Okafor
C – Jake Majors
RG – Junior Angilau
RT – Andrej Karic
Second Group OL:

LT – Jaylen Garth
LG – Rafiti Ghirmai
C – Logan Parr
RG – Hayden Conner
RT – Isaiah Hookfin
*** To no one’s surprise, Alfred Collins has been making plays early and often in spring ball.

Defensive tackle position is about what you’d expect. Keondre Coburn and Alfred Collins running in that first group, with Myron Warren and T’Vondre Sweat rotating in right after.

*** The staff really likes two TE sets. I was told Cade Brewer is moving around better after dropping ~15 pounds this offseason. Jared Wiley has been making some nice plays so far and the two young TE’s Gunnar Helm and Juan Davis have both flashed a bit early.

*** McNeese State grad transfer Darion Dunn is getting some looks early. Source told me Dunn, if he’s not with the first group, is normally the first CB to rotate in when changes are made.

*** Sounds like both QB’s have been solid so far. Haven’t heard if one has the edge over the other yet, and won’t expect a bigger answer there until later in the spring.

*** The playmakers in the first offense ran as followed: Marcus Washington, Jordan Whittington, Cade Brewer, Jared Wiley and Bijan Robinson.

Source said the two tight end sets have been prevalent early on.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

(Scipio Tex) Sark Bites: First Edition

Hide contents

Welcome to a new feature: Sark Bites. As the name suggests, it's timely bite sized football program intel gleaned from reliable sources. Info that, because of time sensitivity or volume constraints, isn't found in the Humidor.

Feature title runner up? Sarks Don't Sleep.

Sources we trust spoke to people very close to the program and here's some of the info that we can relate.

- Sark is incredibly genuine and easy to interact with. He also communicated a real understanding that being successful at Texas required more than just being a football coach.

- How is Texas different from Alabama? Well, aside from Tuscaloosa's stacked talent at every position and The Process burned deep into the culture, player academics and coursework are much more substantial at Texas. Even in player friendly classes. Most Texas players want an education. The Crimson Tide majored and minored in playing football.

- About that talent level: the first string is competitive, but there's a substantial drop off to the 2nd and 3rd teams. Developing that depth is a priority.

- Bijan is the best player on O. Collins is the best player on D. These should not be revelations for you.

- Both QBs can run the system. Neither has separated. This is a true competition. There will be no anointing.

- LB depth is a substantial concern. Given that, did the coaches try to talk Juwan Mitchell out of of the portal? No. They helped him pack his bags, called him an Uber (carpool) and packed him a warm bologna sandwich on white bread with no mayo or mustard. I may have embellished some portion of that for my own amusement.

- Sark addressed Mitchell's portal entry immediately with the team: "We're trying to get this train moving. We're not stopping for one guy."

Juwan Mitchell expecting the coaches to bend over backwards to keep him

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

47 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

I've heard the transfer portal has somewhere in the neighborhood of a million players......is there not a single linebacker in there who can finish tackles? 

You know what's a difficult-to-find combination of traits, especially in players that have a reason to transfer? The ones needed to be a good Big XII LB.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Eggo said:

Not sure if serious, but you know the Highlander wasn't Irish, right? 

Of course we know German violence was the worst: After killing the Jews then they went and attacked us at Pearl Harbor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Machinator said:

(Scipio Tex) Sark Bites: First Edition

Hide contents

Welcome to a new feature: Sark Bites. As the name suggests, it's timely bite sized football program intel gleaned from reliable sources. Info that, because of time sensitivity or volume constraints, isn't found in the Humidor.

Feature title runner up? Sarks Don't Sleep.

Sources we trust spoke to people very close to the program and here's some of the info that we can relate.

- Sark is incredibly genuine and easy to interact with. He also communicated a real understanding that being successful at Texas required more than just being a football coach.

- How is Texas different from Alabama? Well, aside from Tuscaloosa's stacked talent at every position and The Process burned deep into the culture, player academics and coursework are much more substantial at Texas. Even in player friendly classes. Most Texas players want an education. The Crimson Tide majored and minored in playing football.

- About that talent level: the first string is competitive, but there's a substantial drop off to the 2nd and 3rd teams. Developing that depth is a priority.

- Bijan is the best player on O. Collins is the best player on D. These should not be revelations for you.

- Both QBs can run the system. Neither has separated. This is a true competition. There will be no anointing.

- LB depth is a substantial concern. Given that, did the coaches try to talk Juwan Mitchell out of of the portal? No. They helped him pack his bags, called him an Uber (carpool) and packed him a warm bologna sandwich on white bread with no mayo or mustard. I may have embellished some portion of that for my own amusement.

- Sark addressed Mitchell's portal entry immediately with the team: "We're trying to get this train moving. We're not stopping for one guy."

The missing pass rush from Ossai is going to have to come largely from the interior DL. We need Collins and Coburn to have big years collapsing the pocket and getting pressure. Collins seems up for it. Hopefully Coburn can keep his weight down and resemble the 2019 version of himself that consistently required double teams instead of the 350 pound 2020 version, which did not. 

30 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Big 12 isn’t unique anymore. Everywhere has high powered offenses. 

It’s still not easy to find LBs in the portal with those traits. 

You’re also wrong.  The Big 12 still asks more of its linebackers than just about any conference in the country. It’s definitely harder to play LB in the Big 12 than the PAC, Big 10, or ACC.  The SEC west is probably tougher, but the East still has a lot of Stone Age offenses. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

The missing pass rush from Ossai is going to have to come largely from the interior DL. We need Collins and Coburn to have big years collapsing the pocket and getting pressure. Collins seems up for it. Hopefully Coburn can keep his weight down and resemble the 2019 version of himself that consistently required double teams instead of the 350 pound 2020 version, which did not. 

It’s still not easy to find LBs in the portal with those traits. 

You’re also wrong.  The Big 12 still asks more of its linebackers than just about any conference in the country. It’s definitely harder to play LB in the Big 12 than the PAC, Big 10, or ACC.  The SEC west is probably tougher, but the East still has a lot of Stone Age offenses. 

We’ve just sucked at developing linebackers is all it boils down to. Look at the type of Alabama linebacker Alabama recruits and they still do well vs spreads. 

1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Juwan Mitchell is a dumbass. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. 

Reminds me of the advice my brother gave to the cart girl at Bear Creek some years ago: You're not hot enough to be this much of a bitch and keep your job very long.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

We’ve just sucked at developing linebackers is all it boils down to. Look at the type of Alabama linebacker Alabama recruits and they still do well vs spreads. 

So Alabama, who gets loads of 5 stars every single year and can cycle out all the busts, having good linebackers means we should be able to find some in the portal, and the Big 12 isn’t a tough conference for LBs to play in?

That’s some really good reasoning there, pal. 

13 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

So Alabama, who gets loads of 5 stars every single year and can cycle out all the busts, having good linebackers means we should be able to find some in the portal, and the Big 12 isn’t a tough conference for LBs to play in?

That’s some really good reasoning there, pal. 

It’s not 2007 anymore. Big 12 isn’t unique to spread offenses. Every conference has spread attacks. We’ve been shit at developing and shit at scheming them 

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

It’s not 2007 anymore. Big 12 isn’t unique to spread offenses. Every conference has spread attacks. We’ve been shit at developing and shit at scheming them 

No shit we’ve been bad at developing, but that doesn’t change the fact there aren’t just a bunch of good spread linebackers in the portal.

And while the Big 12 isn’t unique to spread offenses, it still has a variety of different types of spreads that ask a lot out of the linebackers week to week, and has more well-coached spreads than most conferences. The bottom half of the ACC, Big Ten, and PAC offenses are a joke. Utah in 2019 and Colorado in 2020 were in the top half of PAC 12 offenses and we absolutely dominated both of them. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, hookemATL said:

Vaccine distribution center opened in the Hall of Fame this week. Students/faculty/athletic dept. staff eligible. 

Curious what the UT stance is on vaccines. My daughter will be at UF in the fall, and you can either show proof of vaccine or get tested biweekly. It is super easy to get vaccines in Florida now, I signed up yesterday morning to get the vaccine yesterday afternoon. Including the drive it took about 45 minutes.

Hopefully we get full stadiums this year.

• Hook 'Em 2

Curious what the UT stance is on vaccines. My daughter will be at UF in the fall, and you can either show proof of vaccine or get tested biweekly. It is super easy to get vaccines in Florida now, I signed up yesterday morning to get the vaccine yesterday afternoon. Including the drive it took about 45 minutes.
Hopefully we get full stadiums this year.

No CR in terms of a value judgement but I’m pretty sure the Governor’s executive order bars UT from requiring vaccines for anything - sporting events or playing school.

Not that it matters in terms of full stadiums. That’s happening regardless and I don’t think UT would’ve ever tried to require proof of vaccination.