2021 Texas spring football thread

Machinator

25 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Okay, I'm on new meds, the depression is under control, and this video puts it over the top. I'll go ahead and get more excited than is reasonable, and let my expectations go through the roof irrationally. Show me a fucking loss.

I'll have what he's having--assuming the Kool Aid comes in 55-gal. drums. (or kegs . . .)

34 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Okay, I'm on new meds, the depression is under control, and this video puts it over the top. I'll go ahead and get more excited than is reasonable, and let my expectations go through the roof irrationally. Show me a fucking loss.

We are in peak kool-aid season. Show me a loss!

• Hook 'Em 3

(CJ Vogel) Sourced Team Notes | Thursday Practice

Spoiler

I was able to connect with a source this afternoon to get some notes up from Thursday’s practice.

*** After the hype going around on Twitter yesterday in reference to Tyler Owens being moved into the box, I was told to pump the brakes a little bit. The move, while still on the table, has not been made yet and Owens is still getting reps in practice back deep at the safety position.

I’ll dive into the current LB room here in a bit, but for now, the move has not been officially made.

*** Steve Sarkisian told us in his press conference he was going to give both quarterbacks their chance to win the job. I’m told Casey Thompson was working with the first team offense on Tuesday, and it was Hudson Card’s turn today. If I had to guess, the two quarterbacks will continue to flip-flop days with the top offensive group.

The source added that neither quarterback has a substantial lead over the other. Both have had their fair share of good moments in practice, while each has shown some inconsistency as well.

*** Christian Jones has turned a corner with his play.

*** Wide receiver Joshua Moore is back and practicing. Source said he missed some practice time due to illness, though not Covid related. Moore is back running with the first group offense and had a wildly acrobatic catch in practice today.

*** Speaking of wide receivers, I’m told Kelvontay Dixon had himself a nice Thursday showing. Also, Kai Money has been consistently winning reps in 1v1’s.

*** I mentioned Darion Dunn in the Tuesday update, but was told again he is making plays at a high clip in practice.

*** For the 7v7 portion of practice, I’m told the defense threw out the following two groups.

First group:

LB – David Gbenda, Marcus Tillman Jr.
CB – D’Shawn Jamison, Josh Thompson
nCB – Chris Adimora
S – BJ Foster, Jerrin Thompson
Second group:

LB – Terrence Cooks II, Jaylan Ford
CB – Jamier Johnson, Darion Dunn
nCB – Anthony Cook
S – Tyler Owens, Brenden Schooler
*** I’m told Bijan Robinson and Roschon Johnson have found success in the run game pretty often so far. Again, the defensive line is missing some pretty big names early on, but the running backs are making some impressive plays.

19 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Alright I give up. Who does Sark look like? I've been trying to figure it out for three months now. A friend told me Johnny Manziel but I don't think that's it. 

His head kinda looks like an Easter Island statue to me

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Alright I give up. Who does Sark look like? I've been trying to figure it out for three months now. A friend told me Johnny Manziel but I don't think that's it. 

I see the Manziel a bit. Maybe they share some regional crossover between their Armenian/Lebanese genealogy. 

36 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Eh, he looks like all those other Irish-Armenians out there. Pretty common ancestry, ya know.

(Eric Nahlin) What have we learned from spring ball so far?

Spoiler

The Texas staff did well to work through the Covid pause and now spring ball is just about to hit its stride after some spirited practices this week.

We still have a ways to go but it’s never too early to use minimal data to make grand assumptions!

Texas talent is flowing in the right direction

Most tackles can play guard and most corners can play safety or nickel. Most guards cannot play tackle and most safeties cannot play corner. Ergo, you want more tackles than guards and more corners than safeties.

Though UT’s left tackle situation isn’t yet resolved with the departure of Sam Cosmi, there are a number of suitors for that all-important position. The staff remains dedicated to making Christian Jones rise to an acceptable level of competence, but even if he doesn’t, Andrej Karic could easily start there. Isaiah Hookfin probably could too. Essentially, Texas has three viable left tackle candidates, with Karic and Hookfin also possessing the ability to play guard at a high level.

Heading into the spring, the corner depth chart was viewed as being top-heavier than Terry Price, but a couple weeks in, and the younger corners are emerging. Every single one of the corners on the roster could play elsewhere in the secondary, if needed. This raises the athletic ceiling of the defensive backfield, which goes a long way towards neutralizing the modern passing game. Coverage ability is key.

UT will lose Josh Thompson, D’Shawn Jamison, and Darion Dunn following this season, but Kitan Crawford, Jahdae Barron, and Jamier Johnson are already showing some bite. Those three, plus Ishmael Ibraheem and a 2022 stud or two will be ready to compete to start the season after next. All three of the underclassmen mentioned could conceivably play nickel or field safety if needed (Crawford is very likely to start at corner in 2022 and Barron may be trending that way too).

Waiting for reinforcements

While the staff inherited a lot of talent on the defensive line, it doesn’t necessarily have ideal fits or numbers at Jack and X. Jacoby Jones may prove to be a quality Jack, and things are promising with Ray Thornton, but this position is thin and mostly unproven, even when accounting for elder statesmen like Jones and Thornton. The same can be said at linebacker, especially with DeMarvion Overshown out.

Zero-sum caveats apply, but we can say, Jones and Thornton have been providing some pass rush. Prince Dorbah’s name was mentioned too, though he’s a bit of a liability agains the run.

Transfers and freshmen can’t arrive fast enough, if for nothing else than depth and competition. Those freshmen who profile to the edge will have a chance to dent the two-deep this season.

Sarkisian is striking a good balance with the team

Simultaneously, veterans are being given every opportunity to hold on to their positions and the younger guys are receiving the chance to win a job. He’s managing this through heavy rotations. Third-teamers will run with the twos, and second teamers will be interspersed with the ones. Freshman Hayden Conner might receive third-team reps at tackle one minute, but second or even a few first-team reps at guard the next.

This has the entire team bought in, engaged, and competing.

It’s one thing to say you want competition, it’s another thing to promote it. If the depth chart isn’t shifting, there is no real competition.

Checking in and checking out of the El Portal Motel goes both ways

After spring ball, Texas needs to win its internal trade war by pushing out any low-quality exPorts (not that anyone springs to mind) and bringing in high quality imPorts. The staff will be shoppers when it comes to linebacker, wide receiver, and perhaps another edge (we still expect Alabama’s Ben Davis in addition to Notre Dame’s Ovie Oghoufo). Davis is expected to graduate in late April.

The staff would prefer to find an off-the-ball linebacker with either talent or experience, preferably both. If the right inexperienced linebacker ended up in the portal, they’d probably still go in on him.

Despite Sarkisian’s lamentations over heavy numbers at wide receiver, quantity doesn’t equal quality, and they’ll remain in the market for anyone who can help at the position. Just sustaining health at the position would help, but alas.

There’s always the chance a Best Player Available type is too good to pass up, but for now, linebacker and receiver are viewed as needs.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

There's a cartoon character. Its the nose. I can't think of it either rn

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

They have sources in and around the program. The quality of those sources is for you to ascertain.

So, absolutely made up dogshit. Got it. 

Now that I'm funemployed for the month of April I'm just going to write long form nonsense and post it. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, immamac said:

So I'm confused. Do the 9.95ers get to watch practice or what kind of access do they have? Someone school me on how this works. 

Either talk to or talk to someone who talked to a coach, a non-coach staffer, a player, a player's parent, or someone who was allowed to watch practice like a BMD or letterman. Or just make shit up that sounds plausible

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

Either talk to or talk to someone who talked to a coach, a non-coach staffer, a player, a player's parent, or someone who was allowed to watch practice like a BMD or letterman. Or just make shit up that sounds plausible

"i am told. ... . .

"I'm hearing . . . .

30 minutes ago, immamac said:

Now that I'm funemployed for the month of April I'm just going to write long form nonsense and post it. 

What are you talking about? You are a rising podcaster and heir apparent to Howard Stern shock jock. You have to ve making more than treefidy doing that.

Edited by Vertigo

58 minutes ago, immamac said:

Doit .gif

then change all the PlayErs names to aggy player names, and post it on Texags 

Edited by dingleberryswitzer

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

Little bit like Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino and A-Rod had a baby

1 hour ago, immamac said:

Consult with @hayden_horn - he had a running bit a while back. Took a few nuggets of real news from the Chronicle or AAS and mostly just made up a whole bunch of garbage. You can easily type something like:

“Off the field Coburn set records lifting while on the field there was a skirmish between Overshown and RoJo as the team is frustrated only playing against themselves. Thompson threw a bad int, while Card broke a long run cut short by two touches on the black shirt he might have slipped in live action.”

5 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

“Off the field Coburn set records lifting while on the field there was a skirmish between Overshown and RoJo as the team is frustrated only playing against themselves. Thompson threw a bad int, while Card broke a long run cut short by two touches on the black shirt he might have slipped in live action.”

Where do I send my $9.95.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Consult with @hayden_horn - he had a running bit a while back. Took a few nuggets of real news from the Chronicle or AAS and mostly just made up a whole bunch of garbage. You can easily type something like:

Must include "Pride of fuck lions" or GTFO

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

IDK, maybe 12 personnel makes sense with a inexperienced qbs, an elite rb, and inconsistent wr play but I'm not too thrilled about the idea of Brewer playing a big role in our offensive identity next season. 

Maybe he's become a really good blocker and at a lighter weight he's moving better but the guy hasn't shown D1 athleticism since his freshman year injury. 

5 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

IDK, maybe 12 personnel makes sense with a inexperienced qbs, an elite rb, and inconsistent wr play but I'm not too thrilled about the idea of Brewer playing a big role in our offensive identity next season. 

Maybe he's become a really good blocker and at a lighter weight he's moving better but the guy hasn't shown D1 athleticism since his freshman year injury. 

Sark ran a good amount of 12 in Atlanta and even at Bama, though probably less because of their WRs. Brewer is fine as an H-back who is being used right within the system and we have high upside guys behind him who can beat him out if one of them develop. 12 personnel with Wiley as the in line and Liebrock as the H back was the hope when we signed that recruiting class. 

I think the real important thing so not being tied to a specific personnel grouping. We want to be good at a lot of different groupings so we can punish opponent-specific weaknesses. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1