2021 Texas spring football thread

Machinator

I have my reasons, but to your counterpoint do you think it’s impossible for him to improve from year to year?

“Jones will be better than people think. I have my reasons... No I won’t share them.”

Because there isn’t a reason visible without burnt orange sunglasses. Jones being anything more than serviceable would be quite the revelation. I’m not ragging on the guy but there’s really no reason to expect him to be a big plus edge rusher at this point. Maybe dial back the kool aid a bit.

With Broughton, I just hope we have a few games with wide enough margins where he can get a lot of snaps in. He needs game reps but isn’t ready to face the better teams on the schedule.

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

“Jones will be better than people think. I have my reasons... No I won’t share them.”

Because there isn’t a reason visible without burnt orange sunglasses. Jones being anything more than serviceable would be quite the revelation. I’m not ragging on the guy but there’s really no reason to expect him to be a big plus edge rusher at this point. Maybe dial back the kool aid a bit.

With Broughton, I just hope we have a few games with wide enough margins where he can get a lot of snaps in. He needs game reps but isn’t ready to face the better teams on the schedule.

Are there any reasons I can list that would sway your or Burt’s opinion? No, so no reason to even go there. And I don’t think I claimed Jones would be a world beater, I just have the opinion he’ll be better than expected, but we’ll see one way or the other next season.

4 hours ago, Machinator said:

IT notes from Saturday's scrimmage:

Hide contents

By: Eric Nahlin

-It was 1s vs. 2s for most of the day except at the end of the scrimmage where about 25 plays were 1s vs. 1s.

-Hudson Card took the first snaps with the ones at quarterback but both he and Casey Thompson took snaps with the first and second teams.

-Josh Thompson intercepted Card on one play when the defense played zone behind a three-man front with a delayed blitzer.

-Thompson threw a touchdown pass to a tight end on a drag route when the defense lost track of him in coverage.

-Bijan had several nice runs, including one for around 50 yards where he ran through a couple of poor tackling attempts.

-The offensive line is currently without two starting tackle candidates, a first-team tackle and a second-team tackle. The edge rushing duo of Ray Thornton and Jacoby Jones did have a solid days, but it was against a slightly depleted O-line

-Jerrin Thompson had a big form tackle near the goal line. He’s being pushed by Brenden Schooler, who had a big Saturday including several PBUs and TFLs. Schooler played with the 1s and 2s.

-Tyler Owens made a big hit near the goal line against Roschon Johnson from the safety position.

-The search for wide receivers continues. Jordan Whittington is about the only reliable guy for the Longhorns right now, and he is asked to do a little bit of everything.

-Overall, the staff was happy with the scrimmage. A good, but not great, day.

Jerrin and Brenden are playing different positions at Safety, correct.   I'd expect Brenden to be pushing BJ.

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Yeah, the fact that not just Collins, but DL like Thornton, Jones, and Broughton - guys we know aren’t world beaters - are getting singled out as bright spots says a lot... about the OL.

I think most recruitniks expected Broughton to be a world beater, but not in his first year.  It appears he's already surpassed Ojomo.  I expect good to great things from him.

Edited by Hmmm

Sark runs a lot of max protect, so that should help our OL provide time for some long developing routes. Though I’m a bit skeptical how it’ll work with our lack of WR talent and the Big 12 preference to drop 7/8. 

Did you watch a game last year? If they drop 7 or 8 Bijan is going for 15+. I expect better discipline and better execution this fall if for no other reason than the players are inspired because they’re not playing for a flaming asshole. If Sark can half ass coach and half ass pick decent assistant coaches we will see a 1k receiver and 1.5k+ rusher. We have two above average qb’s. We will be fucking fine
  • Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

I expect better discipline and better execution this fall if for no other reason than the players are inspired because they’re not playing for a flaming asshole.

I don't know what this is supposed to mean. Herman had a lot of faults but his teams never failed to play hard.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Did you watch a game last year? If they drop 7 or 8 Bijan is going for 15+. I expect better discipline and better execution this fall if for no other reason than the players are inspired because they’re not playing for a flaming asshole. If Sark can half ass coach and half ass pick decent assistant coaches we will see a 1k receiver and 1.5k+ rusher. We have two above average qb’s. We will be fucking fine

we do?

5 hours ago, Machinator said:

A big push to bring in some really good role models who took full advantage of their time and connection to UT.   And I only did the ones they were interviewing.  Pretty awesome all around.

Cory Redding:

After a 13-year career in the NFL, former Texas Longhorn Cory Redding hung up his cleats to pursue his interests in education, business, and philanthropy. With only 18 hours remaining to earn a degree in Learning and Applied Development, Redding re-enrolled at UT in the fall of 2016 and received his degree from the College of Education.     https://coryreddingfoundation.com/about-cory/

Jermichael Finley:

"Everybody thought I was a hothead, talked a lot or whatever, but I wasn’t really a flashy guy,” he said. “I got what I wanted, but I wasn’t buying everything I’d see. I’m probably in the best position I’ve ever been. That was another reason why I quit football. If I wasn’t, I would’ve been pressing hard to come back to football. I’m comfortable. Life is good, Family is good and financials are great.”

Finley said he’s living in Aledo, Texas, with his wife, Courtney, and their children and taking online courses to finish his degree at the University of Texas. They settled there because Courtney’s father is a doctor in town.       https://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/24200/former-packers-te-jermichael-finley-on-retiring-the-game-is-getting-violent

Lamarr Houston:

Born in San Francisco, Calif. ... lived in San Francisco until age five ... lived in Sacramento until age nine ... graduated with a degree in corporate communications ... a two-time member of UT's Athletics Directors Honor Roll ... active in UT's community service program ... led a team initiative to heighten awareness of breast cancer ... organized a visit to UT[apos]s football facilities for the Boys & Girls Club ... is part of a group of Longhorns that regularly visits patients at the Dell Children's Medical Center ... participated in activities for Mothers Against Drunk Driving ... spoke during a program called Smart Girls in 2005 that builds self-esteem in young girls ... cousin, Stan Gill, played tailback at Stanford (1985) ... enjoys playing the piano and drums.       https://texassports.com/sports/football/roster/lamarr-houston/3383

Adrian Phillips:

Born in Terell, Texas ... active participant in UT's community service program ... part of a group of Longhorns that regularly visits Dell Children's Medical Center ... tabbed a Texas Scholar ... was active in community service ... worked with the elderly at his church ... enjoys playing the piano.    https://texassports.com/sports/football/roster/adrian-phillips/4412

Jeremy Hills:

Born in Houston, Texas ... brother, Tony Hills, was an All-America left tackle at Texas (2003-07) and a fourth-round draft pick of the Pittsburgh Steelers (2008-11) ... Tony currently plays for the Indianapolis Colts ... earned his bachelor's degree in ALD/youth and community studies in Dec. 2012 ... a prep honor roll student ... two-time first-team academic all-district ... was an active member of P.A.L.S. (Peer Assistance & Leadership) throughout high school ... also volunteered at Health Bridge Children's Hospital, Killough Middle School, Chancellor Elementary and Heflin Elementary ... father, Michael Hills Sr., played WR at Arizona State ... cousin, Alonzo Dotson, played DE at Oklahoma (2003-07) ... enjoys playing basketball and video games.

Jordan Hicks:

Born in Colorado Spring, Colo. … also lived in Indiana (ages 1-6) and South Carolina (ages 6-11) before moving to Ohio … a four-time academic all-conference performer in high school ... seven-time member of Big 12 Commissioner’s Honor Roll (fall 2010; spring 2011; spring 2012; spring 2013; fall 2013; spring 2014; fall 2014) ... graduated in December, 2013 with a degree in sport management  ... pursuing a master’s in advertising ... named to the 2015 NFF Hampshire Honor Society (players from all divisions who maintained a 3.2-plus cumulative GPA throughout their career).

Joseph Ossai:

wants to study computer science and open a foundation to help kids coming into the country.       https://texassports.com/sports/football/roster/joseph-ossai/9802

• Hook 'Em 4

12 hours ago, TommyGufano said:

Idk if it'll make the 9.95 practice breakdowns, but allow me to be the first to report that Jerrin Thompson mega-concussed Travis West. Sheesh.

Good Lord that Bijan cut in the open field was so smooth. I can’t wait to watch an entire season of him as our feature back.

This is also your daily reminder that Tom Herman was a fucking moron. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Machinator said:

(Super K) Casey Thompson | Starting to Stand out | Sourced

Hide contents

***We had been hearing that things were pretty even on the quarterback battle front. In fact, if anything I had heard Hudson may have been a bit better.

***But I’m told in the scrimmage, this past Saturday, Casey Thompson, “looked the best, by far”.

***Told that Hudson threw a pick-six. Also, of note was told the pick-six was thrown to another Thompson…Josh Thompson. Word is he has been incredible in spring ball.

***Basically source said that if Casey continues where he left off Saturday, he will be the dude.

***I think it is interesting that throughout the time Casey has been at Texas, you never really hear him standing out as a practice guy. But, man, it seems when the bullets are live, something happens and he shows out.

***Also, was told Bijan Robinson has taken another step. Was told “instincts are unreal. It’s like he is able to see where a defender is going to be before the defender has made a decision to be there”.

I didn't know it could get this hard.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

IT

Spoiler

By: Gerry, Justin, and Eric

COACHING CLINICS

The Sarkisian staff is continuing the recent tradition of holding online clinics for the high school coaching community. Recently, safeties coach Blake Gideon and running backs coach Stan Drayton held theirs. Gideon offered some insights that should help guide recruiting decision making. Is Bryce Anderson the perfect field safety for Texas? Probably.

#####

Blake Gideon had a pretty strong presentation. He mostly focused on his favorite drills for developing the safeties, which includes the nickel position he referred to as the "star." Between his use of that term and some of his presentation, I'd say the old Will Muschamp influence is still strong on how he approaches the game.

He emphasized precise alignments and stances based on your assignment, highly technical play, and situational awareness. At one point he quoted Duane Akina as telling the Texas defensive backs "give me the 4.7 guy looking at the right thing!" and noted everyone knew he was referring to him. Gideon added, "Sunday afternoons are filled with a bunch of 4.7 and 4.8 safeties that see the game really fast, understand what they're looking at, and play with that discipline the entire game."

He also quoted Art Briles, "Assume that what your players are best at is the only thing they can do." That sounds like the kinda thing Briles would say. Gideon used that to explain his philosophy for allowing a safety who was best playing around the box to be schemed mostly around the box and a safety great at playing the post in the middle getting schemed to drop and cover the post.

While he was breaking down his drills he showed early Texas spring film and dropped a lot of tidbits on how different guys were executing his drills. Chris Adimora came up a lot as a positive example of a loose, fluid player who could flip his hips.

His drills were pretty focused on teaching guys footwork, spatial awareness, and eye discipline. No bags or "obstacle course" traps and no whistles, only feel for the space on the field and visual cues to trigger them to change direction. Their tackling drills are similar, get guys in as many scenarios as possible to practice angles and proper rugby tackling technique.

He talked a little bit about scheme and recruiting also. Gideon said they'd start in a two-high shell more often than not, so even if they play mostly single-high they're going to show a two-high shell first. That's more like Notre Dame or the Saban guys than like Muschamp. At Washington they tipped off single-high coverage a lot. Gideon also mentioned playing a few types of quarters coverages when describing how J.D. Coffey was a kid who had a simple task in high school to just run the alley and smack people but was now learning a lot more.

They prefer to get out of the two-high shell and roll the coverage based on the quarterback indicator, like the quarterback clapping his hands, touching his towel, kicking his leg, etc. "I'd rather be early than late. I got caught a few times trying to outsmart quarterbacks and then you're trying to run to your spot and Dez Bryant is running at you..."

In recruiting, Gideon said he likes to have longer guys at cornerback and will happily take smaller, quicker guys at safety. Guys like Earl Thomas, I reckon.

He said, "ideally you want one true alley safety in every class and then the rest of your guys are corners. Then you take the most physical, instinctive guy and put him at free safety."

Stan Drayton had a great clinic as well. It was similar to his talk last year when he broke down how he teaches his running backs the scheme and linebacker keys they need to understand to dominate with inside zone. He went over some of those same concepts and talked a lot about how they rotated guys last year and why Bijan Robinson didn't play more.

"I caught a lot of flak because he didn't play much early but he wasn't ready." He had a few incidental examples in which Bijan was unable to maximize some inside zone runs because he wasn't reading the safety well. He clearly has a special knack for manipulating linebackers and setting up blocks though. Drayton also talked about the importance of knowing your players and making the right substitutions. He took the blame for Keaontay Ingram being winded after a few big runs but then getting asked to pound the ball in on first and goal against TCU and coughing up the game.

Drayton also said they didn't feel they had one back last year that should dominate the whole game, but you definitely get the sense they feel differently this year.

Beyond going over how he teaches his running backs to understand defenses, anticipate fronts, and read linebackers on inside zone, he also showed some drills for working on outside zone they‘ve used this spring. It's much simpler for the running backs, they're just reading a progression of defensive lineman, but Drayton had drills for helping them learn to maximize their one cut decision. He also drills them on using the stiff-arm, which he says isn't necessarily a natural movement for a back, and learning how to make the optimal cut once they clear the line on outside zone.

The drills were fun. He had assistants rolling big medicine balls at players to indicate a defender crossing their face or coming up with a shield to take a Bijan or Roschon stiff arm.

For recruiting, Drayton said they're looking for guys with size who can carry the load for the offense. “If you're a smaller guy you need to bring an intangible with some speed or ability in the return game." He also wants burst over top end speed, "4.5 or 4.6 is fine if you have burst."

• Hook 'Em 8

55 minutes ago, Machinator said:

He said, "ideally you want one true alley safety in every class and then the rest of your guys are corners. Then you take the most physical, instinctive guy and put him at free safety."

Yes, please. 1440033226_ScreenShot2021-04-12at9_30_04AM.thumb.png.0b9d85eb97ce66da357340f0e73649d6.png

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

(Super K) Casey Thompson | Starting to Stand out | Sourced

Hide contents

***We had been hearing that things were pretty even on the quarterback battle front. In fact, if anything I had heard Hudson may have been a bit better.

***But I’m told in the scrimmage, this past Saturday, Casey Thompson, “looked the best, by far”.

***Told that Hudson threw a pick-six. Also, of note was told the pick-six was thrown to another Thompson…Josh Thompson. Word is he has been incredible in spring ball.

***Basically source said that if Casey continues where he left off Saturday, he will be the dude.

***I think it is interesting that throughout the time Casey has been at Texas, you never really hear him standing out as a practice guy. But, man, it seems when the bullets are live, something happens and he shows out.

***Also, was told Bijan Robinson has taken another step. Was told “instincts are unreal. It’s like he is able to see where a defender is going to be before the defender has made a decision to be there”.

Bijan is a very religious young man as evidenced by his Ig posts.  His prophetic powers are manifesting into the field now.