2021 Texas spring football thread

Machinator

Put Bijan in gawd damn bubble wrap.  I saw enough from his break out run where he spun, juked, and stiff armed a defender in one run.  Some guys have elite traits and Bijan and Jordan Whittington both have it.  Put them in bubble wrap because I'm worried what this offense will look without those two players

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Put Bijan in gawd damn bubble wrap.  I saw enough from his break out run where he spun, juked, and stiff armed a defender in one run.  Some guys have elite traits and Bijan and Jordan Whittington both have it.  Put them in bubble wrap because I'm worried what this offense will look without those two players

I can agree with Bijan (although sounds like his vision is getting better and better).

But it's pretty clear now that Whit has been on a longer timeline in regaining his HS athleticism after the multiple hernia surgeries and the meniscus tear last year. Pretty stiff last year. He needs every live rep he can get at this point just to keep recovering his fast-twitch muscle and his instinctual athleticism when people are flying around. Offseason conditioning cant really replicate that. 

3 hours ago, Machinator said:

(Super K) Casey Thompson | Starting to Stand out | Sourced

Reveal hidden contents

***We had been hearing that things were pretty even on the quarterback battle front. In fact, if anything I had heard Hudson may have been a bit better.

***But I’m told in the scrimmage, this past Saturday, Casey Thompson, “looked the best, by far”.

***Told that Hudson threw a pick-six. Also, of note was told the pick-six was thrown to another Thompson…Josh Thompson. Word is he has been incredible in spring ball.

***Basically source said that if Casey continues where he left off Saturday, he will be the dude.

***I think it is interesting that throughout the time Casey has been at Texas, you never really hear him standing out as a practice guy. But, man, it seems when the bullets are live, something happens and he shows out.

***Also, was told Bijan Robinson has taken another step. Was told “instincts are unreal. It’s like he is able to see where a defender is going to be before the defender has made a decision to be there”.

[takes a swig of koolaid]... Big deal. Who cares that Card has to wait until the second quarter to play?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Machinator said:

(Super K) Casey Thompson | Starting to Stand out | Sourced

Hide contents

***We had been hearing that things were pretty even on the quarterback battle front. In fact, if anything I had heard Hudson may have been a bit better.

***But I’m told in the scrimmage, this past Saturday, Casey Thompson, “looked the best, by far”.

***Told that Hudson threw a pick-six. Also, of note was told the pick-six was thrown to another Thompson…Josh Thompson. Word is he has been incredible in spring ball.

***Basically source said that if Casey continues where he left off Saturday, he will be the dude.

***I think it is interesting that throughout the time Casey has been at Texas, you never really hear him standing out as a practice guy. But, man, it seems when the bullets are live, something happens and he shows out.

***Also, was told Bijan Robinson has taken another step. Was told “instincts are unreal. It’s like he is able to see where a defender is going to be before the defender has made a decision to be there”.

Seems like RBs usually make a huge leap from year 1 to year 2.

im so excited saved by the bell GIF

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Askew said:

I can agree with Bijan (although sounds like his vision is getting better and better).

But it's pretty clear now that Whit has been on a longer timeline in regaining his HS athleticism after the multiple hernia surgeries and the meniscus tear last year. Pretty stiff last year. He needs every live rep he can get at this point just to keep recovering his fast-twitch muscle and his instinctual athleticism when people are flying around. Offseason conditioning cant really replicate that. 

Maybe less medical help and a little bit more body fat will serve Whittington well. He's not competing for bodybuilding competition, so it seems to make sense that he shouldn't be training that way. 

• Hook 'Em 2

The running game should be ridiculous this season. Bijan is Bijan. Thompson has wheels. Johnson will be channeling his inner Cody and delivering "faces full of Johnson." Young, who'd start for more than half the conference, excels in short yardage and is far from a liability, should he have to come in. You add in the kid from Halletsville and the D2(or 3?) leading rusher from 2 years ago, who hasn't even put Burnt Orange on yet, and our running game should look unfair in more than half the games. 

If we start hearing about another receiver steadily adding to Whittington's threat as a playmaker, I'll be keg standing koolaid.

10 wins is absolutely the minimum and I would go insofar as to say conference championship appearance.

'20s are about to FAAFO.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

8 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

The running game should be ridiculous this season. Bijan is Bijan. Thompson has wheels. Johnson will be channeling his inner Cody and delivering "faces full of Johnson." Young, who'd start for more than half the conference, excels in short yardage and is far from a liability, should he have to come in. You add in the kid from Halletsville and the D2(or 3?) leading rusher from 2 years ago, who hasn't even put Burnt Orange on yet, and our running game should look unfair in more than half the games. 

I wonder if Sark has put some crazy wrinkles into his standard offense. I would laugh my ass off if we marched down the field against OU running the option with Thompson at QB. We have the RB, QB and OL to do it but to do it well requires a lot of practice. So it won't happen unfortunately: Great fantasy though.

7 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I saw the clip somewhere and it was definitely Wright. 

Reverse Katfid - Fatkid.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Maybe less medical help and a little bit more body fat will serve Whittington well. He's not competing for bodybuilding competition, so it seems to make sense that he shouldn't be training that way. 

Generally I think this point is overplayed as there are many rocked up dudes in football that aren't made of glass. But yea in his case flexibility is clearly a problem, you can just see it in the way he runs. Losing a bit of muscle mass would definitely help. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Yeah I am pretty much operating under the assumption that Whit has gotten the correct medical help, and S&C is putting him in the right place to avoid further injury and compete next year (both body composition and conditioning). 

With that assumption, my main point is just that Whit needs live reps to get his athleticism and confidence back. Judging by how he looked last year, his body has either not gotten its full athleticism back, or he's in self-protection mode and is holding himself back to avoid further injury. So to overcome these things, he just needs to be out there playing full speed.

If he needs bubble wrap just to survive an offseason where he's not dealing with any type of nagging injury, then he might be too snake bit to be a football player. 

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

I wonder if Sark has put some crazy wrinkles into his standard offense. I would laugh my ass off if we marched down the field against OU running the option with Thompson at QB. We have the RB, QB and OL to do it but to do it well requires a lot of practice. So it won't happen unfortunately: Great fantasy though.

The best part of that would be Charles Thompson's son running the option against OU.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 4/10/2021 at 10:40 AM, Machinator said:

Inject this directly into my veins.

On 4/10/2021 at 10:41 AM, Machinator said:

The last time we did this regularly, we won a national title. You get better at practice if you're working against your best teammates. This is a shibboleth of sorts to me, a sign of things to come...

On 4/10/2021 at 10:46 AM, Machinator said:

YES.

On 4/10/2021 at 6:03 PM, Machinator said:

I don't know what this is supposed to mean. Herman had a lot of faults but his teams never failed to play hard.

They absolutely failed to play hard. They played hard in the Sugar Bowl, for sure, and in a lot of games they played hard for at least 3 quarters. But you don't get a nickname like Turtle Tom if your teams are playing hard for four quarters every game.

Yeah, you don't even have to give Herman any credit. Maybe it was the team leaders, assistant coaches, or we happened to have a group of guys who just generally give a shit but I never felt like our MENSA years problems were because of a lack of effort.

We constantly fought our way back into games where our own fuckups put us in huge holes. Over and over we put individual players and the team in general in positions to fail and we always seemed to fight as hard as we could to overcome our dumbass game plans and whoever our opponent happened to be. It's not lost on me that the comebacks always started when we were most desperate and just had Sam play hero ball instead of working within the confines of Tom's offense.

• Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

They absolutely failed to play hard. They played hard in the Sugar Bowl, for sure, and in a lot of games they played hard for at least 3 quarters. But you don't get a nickname like Turtle Tom if your teams are playing hard for four quarters every game.

This is... fucking stupid. His players never quit, despite the installed governor (not enough gas throughout the game) and him (heavy braking) and Orlando shoving their heads up their asses in the 4th quarter. 

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

Agreed. Our teams had plenty of grit under Herman. Just not enough coaching and direction. 

I credit the QB for that as much as anyone.  One thing for sure during Mensa years is we had good leadership.  Sam was/is a great leader and I think they played hard for him, he led by example. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Askew said:

I also like Cliff Curtis because--setting aside Training Day being a top-10 movie--I like to think of the bathroom scene as a tidy little metaphor for Sark running Herman out of town.      

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Now if Steve can master the ever changing look like his predecessor, he can come with this look for the games when the team needs that gangster boost 

29 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I may be in the minority but I see the value in play action and motion being our friend in the passing game. It's the when and why that steadies my thinking

I’m not sure this is a very controversial opinion. 

Who is Coach V? I don’t remember him being one of the posters or mods over there. Anonymous former coach/supposed amalgamation like “the big cigar” or is he a known guy?

5 hours ago, Askew said:

I also like Cliff Curtis because--setting aside Training Day being a top-10 movie--I like to think of the bathroom scene as a tidy little metaphor for Sark running Herman out of town.      

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Dude can act. I'm sure he fooled quite a few essays and homies.  

26 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Who is Coach V? I don’t remember him being one of the posters or mods over there. Anonymous former coach/supposed amalgamation like “the big cigar” or is he a known guy?

Retired coach Mike Venable. He does the individual player grades (didn't do them in 2020).

• Hook 'Em 1

Fwiw, an insider elsewhere is saying that Wright actually threw the pick-six to Josh Thompson, not Card, and that neither Card nor Casey threw an INT
Thats like my friends mom accidentally adding an extra half cup of sugar to the kool aid

8 hours ago, Machinator said:

I am double vaxxed and will still wear two masks... PROPERLY!

I want in the fucking spring practice!

4 hours ago, Tex48 said:

Is cole lourde in camp or is he a summer enrolle?

4 hours ago, Machinator said:

Summer enrollee

Cole must be a rooooyyyyyaaaaalllllll...