2021 Texas spring football thread

Machinator

12 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Same when Brewer is starting.

I am not opposed to him playing TE, just don't split his ass out wide or in slot while Whittington and/or Smith are on bench. He is just not a plus player and is slow. Maybe in his 6th year at UT it will come together for him, but he shouldn't start above any of the younger players that could transfer due to riding pine behind him.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

I’m not going to pretend a nice set of hips hasn’t thrown me off in the past, but they’re typically in yoga pants, not football unis. NTTAWWT

So, you're saying those are nice hips.  NTTAWWT.

34 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

If Cade gets on a Mackey watchlist, Denzel Okafor earns a Gaskamp, and Tope Imade provides quality depth at guard, then I will know for sure that Tom Herman was a clueless, turtling drunken fuck.  

I wouldn't consider Okafor as a Gaskamp contender.  Tope Imade, on the other hand.

31 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Not giving a F about something is definitely an approach.  

Yeah, kinda. I was thinking it was the opposite of an approach.

Let's see... if ad means towards, then re means "away from," then we could do... it's not an approach, it's a reproach.

Yeah. Charlie Strong had a special teams reproach. ;) 

2 hours ago, Texasrocks said:

Bijan is a stud so it won't really tell us much about coaching or scheme if he makes defenses look terrible (other than the coaches are smart of enough to give him the ball). But it'll reflect really well on the current staff if guys like Brewer play at a high level.

Well, remember Sark's philosophy: Get the ball into the hands of your playmakers where they can excel.

Bijan's going to not only get the ball a lot, he's going to get it in ways that put opponents' D's at a disadvantage... if Sark is doing what he says he's going to do.

At this point I'm drowning in the football and basketball Kool-Aid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eggo said:

Yeah he made up a ton of ground to get back into the play 

Schooler got juked but didn't give up and outran Dunn easily.  Surprising how much faster he looks than Dunn, but I think he just took a better angle.

Edited by Hmmm
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I choose to look at what happened to the two inside linebackers as a sign our offensive line has been transformed into the 1995 Dallas Cowboys and not what I fear is probably more likely about the status of the linebacker unit. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I’m bored and very excited to see a real football play so I watched it enough times to tell who was out there. Mostly lines up with what the 9.95ers have been saying. 

The line goes: Garth (Jones and Hookfin still out)-Okafor-Majors-Angilau-Karic 

Wrs and TE: Whittington, Moore & Washington, Wiley 

The defense is all 2nd team. Wiley eats up whoever he’s blocking, may be Ford. Bush is on the other side playing contain, goes unblocked, takes a bad angle and comes up with air as Bijan flies by him. Could spot Ojimo, Schooler, Dunn, Owens. I think Goram-Welch must be the other dt. Hullaby is the ILB on the right but I can’t tell who the other ILB is  

Bijan is so damn fun to watch.  

• Hook 'Em 3

IT mods did a roster Q&A yesterday (EN = Eric Nahlin, JW = Justin Wells, GH = Gerry Hamilton)

Spoiler

Q: Been pretty quiet on Wiley? Hearing anything on him positive or negative?

EN: He’s looking real athletic at his size but still running second team.

JW: When in 12 personnel, he’s taking turns with Epps beside Brewer. Some experienced players vying for reps.

Q: Who is winning the battle at free safety between Thompson and Schooler, and will there be packages where one or the other play depending on the team we are against?

EN: Thompson is playing well but Schooler is on his heels. There is a package where Schooler is out there with the ones as more of a box player. I need to get more clarity on what that looks like, though.

Q: How would you compare the team’s talent level going into the 2021 season compared to a prior year’s talent level? Are we getting anywhere near the early 2000s in terms of team talent? I know depth at every position is needed to get to that level eventually

EN: Largely thanks to the 2020 class, there is some elite talent on the roster, but they need to keep inching the baseline upwards. You do that by setting high floors in a class. There are not many non-contributors on the roster, which is a departure from the middle part of the previous decade, but they do need to keep improving talent across the board, namely at DE and OL.

Q: Have you heard anything about the other RBs , Danny, Gabe etc...???

EN: No, haven’t heard much. Watson is an emergency back-up.

Q: Which starters will we see on special teams? Can we expect our kicking game to not suck for a change?

EN: I had a good handle on this to start camp but lost my info somehow. I thought I saved some notes. I’m going to ask about ST’s today. The kicking game is always going to be risky to opine on. A guy could make 10 straight from 50 yards in practice then go **** himself from 30 in a game.

Q: Really excited to hear that Gbenda is performing well. Any indication on how Jaylan Ford is doing? Would be nice to have some LB depth for the first time in seemingly forever.

EN: Good. Could be a capable starter but Gbenda is ahead of him and has more athletic upside.

GH: Was a real big fan of Gbenda at our Under Armour Game. He has very long arms for his height. Compact, powerful lower body with suddenness. He's got reactive downhill quickness in spades. Toughness

JW: He had that mental toughness too. Good or bad, he kept competing.

Q: Who puts up the most resistance to Alfred Collins? Overall, do you think the line (assuming it’s something like Karic, Junior Angilau/Tyler Johnson, Majors, Okafor, Jones) will be better at pass protection or run blocking?

EN: Okafor and Angilau are the two best guards, but nobody can really handle Collins consistently. Collins is with the twos right now as he earns his way back with the ones. I think the line will appear to be better at run blocking because of Bijan. I’m not sure if they’ll actually be better at run blocking, but given Jones is likely to start at LT and is a better run blocker, I’ll go with run blocking being better.

JW on Thompson: Buying stock here. I was hesitant on Thompson’s move to full-time corner last fall and he only improved week-to-week and became a staple. His confidence is growing too. NFL teams are aware of him.

JW on Crawford: Crawford says more on the field than off the field. There’s some inner dog here that is essential to playing on the island. His athleticism and versatility could be used in a few different spots. But I also expect him to be a major contributor on special teams; he runs down the field with maniacal effort.

GH: Continue to hear the same on Prince Dorbah ... looks like an NFL player physically. Needs to have the light come on.

Q: I may have missed the report or am misreading, but with Gbenda at Will does that imply a move to Mike for Overshown?

EN: Overshown is already a Mike but keep in mind that’s the linebacker who plays in space in this scheme.

Q: I know Flood and staff want Jones to be at LT, but what is the most likely spot he ends up at? seems like the staff is going to try their hardest to find him a spot on the line, but seems like Karic is showing why he should be at LT

JW: I’d think Jones and Karic will flip sides, if they don’t see Jones has a consistent player on the left side.

Q: Roschon Johnson and Josh Thompson seem like locks for captaincy. Whom do you suspect are candidates to fill the other 2-3 spots?

JW: Those two might be the top leaders today. Add Keondre Coburn to that list. You also want your best players taking a few of those roles, like Bijan Robinson and Alfred Collins. Both are young, talented players that already command the locker room’s respect, especially Bijan. Neither are too vocal and that comes with age.

EN: They can’t really give it to a QB, so, hmmm...I’m going to ponder that.

Q: Haven’t been hearing much on BJ Foster, how has he looked in practice/what is the staff’s thoughts on him.

JW: Appears to be the guy at boundary safety, as of today. He’s a difference-maker if healthy and engaged.

EN: I’ll ask about BJ. I know he missed an assignment in the scrimmage but **** happens. Sometimes a quiet camp is a good thing, methinks.

Q: Also update on the Cook/Adimora battle?

EN: Adimora appears to have put the job in the camel clutch.

Q: We’ve been hearing a lot about 12 personnel this next year given the relative weakness of the WR corps, but given that perhaps two of the three best skill position players play RB, how likely are we to see a significant dose of 20 and 21 personnel this year? I realize the risk of having the only two proven backs on the field at the same time, but it seems like there’s a lot of possibilities there.

EN: Haven’t heard about two-back sets much, and I imagine that’s a function of lack of depth at the position. Maybe if Brooks shows up more ready than anticipated they give that a look. I would love it.

Q: Has the staff indicated what they want most out of the Nickel, and are Cook/Adimora the only guys who will be considered at Nickel, or will the 3rd best CB get moved there if he's one of the best overall DBs?

EN: They really like Adimora so it’s hard seeing him unseated. We were thinking he may get a look at field safety but that doesn’t seem like the case as of now. Adimora, Cook, and Caldwell are the only nickels as of now.

Q: I probably missed this when the injury was first reported, but is Jake Smith expected back before August practice? If Jake is back (and Whittington and Omeire stay healthy), do you expect to have enough at receiver to competently do what Sark wants in the passing game?

EN: Jake is supposed to be back for August, yes. I’d put Jake outside but not sure what they’ll do. They’ll have enough guys, barely, but that position group is going to be a work in progress.

Q: as a FB Austin guy I need to check in on Troy, when is he expected to be cleared for full contact? Also, I saw him plenty in HS. He was a man amongst boys. Physically dominated but my question has always been his speed. Your thoughts?

EN: Not sure when he’ll be cleared cleared. His speed was my main question heading into his senior year but he leaned up and looked much faster as a senior. Speed was also translating before he got hurt. Speed is good for his size.

Q: Any updates on Tyler Owens spinning down?

EN: Nope, Owens is still at safety as of this weekend. He made a big goal line tackle in the scrimmage.

Q: Betting line favorites for the Gaskamp award?

EN: Probably Denzel Okafor if he holds on and starts. Cade Brewer should be eligible given how much of the fan base has viewed him, but that’s up to @Scipio Tex

Q: Best guess on positions targeted in portal/gt market after spring?

EN: WR for sure. Maybe another linebacker. Ovie Oghoufo and Ben Davis are still expected. There’s always the chance somebody too good to pass up enters, or someone with a previous relationship.

JW: Wide Receiver, my guess.

Q: Get me in the head of some guys who aren't being mentioned right now - Broughton, Cook, Foster, Wiley... are they still going hard?

EN: Broughton is at second team nose. He’ll bounce around this season, but will play. Cook is behind Adimora. I’ve heard nothing good or bad. Wiley is behind Brewer but still looking good. Foster is playing well — locked in to start.

Q: Alright, does Bijan get invited to New York this year?

JW: If not this season, he has to at some point. His Vegas odds are already solid.

Q: Any chance Washington can contribute, or is he just a name on the roster? (illusionary depth).

JW: He’d practiced with the 1s last week a few times, presumably when Dixon missed. He’s making small strides, I’m told. He’s got such strong hands, you’d like to see the light come on here.

Q: Anything on Kelvontay Dixon?

JW: Running with 1s and 2s. Consistent, quick, and separation-level speed. Lined up inside and (mostly) outside this spring.

Q: In your opinion will Jake Smith ever be as good as the idea of Jake Smith?

GH: Nope.

EN: When he got hurt, it definitely crossed my mind that was the beginning of the end. He needs to bounce back and make noise in August whether it’s inside or outside.

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

So who all is on D here?

Safeties = Schooler and Owens

LBs = ??? Is the one on the right Foster? Looks like 25 but hard to tell and that'd be a surprise

DL = Jett Bush on left edge, can't tell who else

Reading is hard. 

11 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

I’m bored and very excited to see a real football play so I watched it enough times to tell who was out there. Mostly lines up with what the 9.95ers have been saying. 

The line goes: Garth (Jones and Hookfin still out)-Okafor-Majors-Angilau-Karic 

Wrs and TE: Whittington, Moore & Washington, Wiley 

The defense is all 2nd team. Wiley eats up whoever he’s blocking, may be Ford. Bush is on the other side playing contain, goes unblocked, takes a bad angle and comes up with air as Bijan flies by him. Could spot Ojimo, Schooler, Dunn, Owens. I think Goram-Welch must be the other dt. Hullaby is the ILB on the right but I can’t tell who the other ILB is  

Bijan is so damn fun to watch.  

10 hours ago, TommyGufano said:

Pretty sure other ILB is Tilman. I'd be surprised if Ford was playing edge, my best guess is Dorbah, but idk

12 hours ago, Newy25 said:

I choose to look at what happened to the two inside linebackers as a sign our offensive line has been transformed into the 1995 Dallas Cowboys and not what I fear is probably more likely about the status of the linebacker unit. 

If we ever lineup with Sawyer-Welch as our 1-tech and Tillman and Hullaby behind him in a game this year, then yes we are fucked.

Otherwise, not much to take away re the status of our LB play next year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

TFB team notes (someone needs to tell Super K that Collins is recovering from an injury)

Spoiler

***On the Josh Thompson front, as I noted earlier in the week, I’ve been told he’s been having a fantastic camp. However…

***It sounds like Thompson may have tweaked his hammy. Those things can be tricky and he doesn’t have much to prove for the remainder of spring. So, I imagine they will rest him for the remainder of spring. Not sure yet if he will play in the spring game.

***Should allow guys like Barron to get more reps and help the Horns develop some depth.

***Also, heard the same as CJ – that Jerrin Thompson has been the starting safety next to BJ Foster. The staff has mentioned Thompson publicly and from I’m hearing it appears it’s not just coach speak. He’s taken that next step.

***In pressers, coaches have spoken highly of Alfred Collins. We all know he’s a stud. But I was surprised to hear that the first group on the defensive front is Thornton and Jacoby at the ends and Keondre and Moro Ojomo in the middle. Would assume Collins is getting plenty of snaps but that surprised me a bit. They must like Moro.

• Haha 4

(Eric Nahlin) Sark Bytes: Second Edition

Spoiler

Our semi-midweek insider-y feature with cutting room floor clippings.

Sourced from the instate college coach sewing circle.

— Source: The staff feels the offense isn’t as far along as it should be, and might not be quite as talented as originally suspected.

IT: Once the offensive line and quarterbacks get more reps and the receivers return healthy, I suspect this will be rosier in August. These are good coaches, after all. Right? We think so.

— Source: They feel the opposite on defense. Defense is a little ahead of schedule and more talented than the coaches initially thought.

IT: Jacoby Jones and Ray Thornton have had good springs on the edge. That’s imperative for the defense because the other pieces are in place. David Gbenda’s improvement is another boon.

— Source: Defensive improvement isn’t surprising because Pete Kwiatkowski was the best hire. You’ll recall, the DC search was a bit drawn out. PK received a big endorsement from Pete Carroll and Sarkisian went all out for him per the source.

IT: [some Pete Carroll gif]

— Source: Kyle Flood was the second best hire. It was mentioned Flood wants another shot at being a head coach. Whereas PK is content with being a career coordinator, Flood is looking to move up again.

IT: Good. Get the OL up and running, learn as much from Sarkisian as possible, and advance.

— Source: The staff is expecting a bumpy ride at quarterback. Both guys are viewed as talented but are up one day and down the next. There are too many misses.

IT: Agree with this for now, though we’ll hear of noticeable improvement in August.

— Source: With that in mind, it’s going to be incumbent on the staff to establish Bijan, Roschon, and Whittington.

IT: Yep. And Omeire. Anybody who is easy to get the ball to is going to be set up for success. Maybe even Cade Brewer. They’re loving the drag route with the tight ends.

— Source on Jeff Banks: “You pay the man because he is a big time recruiter and will have special teams in good hands. He's a good enough college TE coach but he's paid because he recruits and has a great feel for special teams. TE coaching is a bonus.”

IT: Banks is there to recruit.

— Source: Team likes Sark a lot more than Herman. Team liked their position coaches last year as well too.

IT: They did play hard for their position coaches. Let’s see what they’ll do for a head coach they like.

— This coach’s/source’s prediction on Sark: “He will give you a chance because he can coach and recruit qbs which is the most important in this game. He's a pragmatic guy and has a better personality for the job than anyone else y‘all have had since Mack. If Sark keeps PK around and gets him an Arch Manning or other top QB, y’all will be back to where you're supposed to be.”

IT: There it is. I’m beginning to believe the Texas job requires this personality to succeed. His authenticity is as disarming as Mack’s folksiness.

• Hook 'Em 4

47 minutes ago, Machinator said:

TFB team notes (someone needs to tell Super K that Collins is recovering from an injury)

Hide contents

***On the Josh Thompson front, as I noted earlier in the week, I’ve been told he’s been having a fantastic camp. However…

***It sounds like Thompson may have tweaked his hammy. Those things can be tricky and he doesn’t have much to prove for the remainder of spring. So, I imagine they will rest him for the remainder of spring. Not sure yet if he will play in the spring game.

***Should allow guys like Barron to get more reps and help the Horns develop some depth.

***Also, heard the same as CJ – that Jerrin Thompson has been the starting safety next to BJ Foster. The staff has mentioned Thompson publicly and from I’m hearing it appears it’s not just coach speak. He’s taken that next step.

***In pressers, coaches have spoken highly of Alfred Collins. We all know he’s a stud. But I was surprised to hear that the first group on the defensive front is Thornton and Jacoby at the ends and Keondre and Moro Ojomo in the middle. Would assume Collins is getting plenty of snaps but that surprised me a bit. They must like Moro.

Seems like TFB is failing to account for Collins coming back from injury and Sweat being out. Who else besides Ojomo would we even put out there? Ojomo was lined up with the 2s in that Bijan clip so he probably bumps back to 2s when Collins is in.