2021 Texas spring football thread

Machinator

51 minutes ago, texifornia said:

They tell them they don't see a path to gametime for them, and boy didn't taking classes at ACC suck, and hey the coaches at Tarleton State are probably fine with them smoking weed all day.

I'll never understand these guys (or the laws in Texas, for that matter /no cr) for not having something so basic covered in 2021. People will say "don't smoke weed" and they have their opinion. He's a dumbass in my mind for not knowing how to pass a test. His speed could've been utilized

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Just my opinion, but schools don’t tell guys to hit the portal. That comes back to bite them in the ass.

If a school ever told a kid “hey you need to enter the portal to help us out” they would get blasted by that player on social media.

There are plenty of reasons for a school to tell a kid to move on, many do, and Texas is justified in doing so here.

Lewis may not be the last if the other receivers currently being evaluated for similar issues do not look at this as a wake up call.

• Hook 'Em 2

You would have to think Woodard is next unless he just wants to finish out his education and doesn't mind never seeing the field. FCB's update had a coach calling him "just slow". I don't think I have ever heard that before.

Edited by Vertigo

1 hour ago, Cuernavaca said:

I've never been to Melissa, but I wouldn't want to go back there. 

I have been once. 16 months ago. I went to pick up a slightly used Weber Grill for $100. 

It gave me the impression that it was what Frisco looked like 15 to 20 years ago. Trees appeared to be something in their future, but not something from their past or present. 

Find the RED marker in the top right corner. 

E8EE8B4C-7963-4BC7-B4F5-AE83B3344305.jpeg

10 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Lots of candidates to choose from: Al'vonte Woodard, Dajon Harrison, Montrell Estelle, and even Joshua Moore (if he lets off the field issues continue to plague him). 

Could have sworn this said Daje Johnson at first

On 4/5/2021 at 1:47 PM, Machinator said:

IT team notes

Hide contents

It feels like spring practice officially started on Saturday.

The very first thing we heard about Saturday’s makeup practice was that it was physical. Throughout the conversation with the source, he used the terms emotional, chippy, and rowdy.

IT responded by saying the video of the defensive backs going through drills was definitely violent and heard in response, “it was more than that. It was also like that on special teams and d-line versus o-line drills.“

Special teams too? That’s not hard to believe with the human upper Jeff Banks coordinating it. “Special teams you had two blockers versus the gunner and the gunner would either be pushed way out of bounds or fight through and go make the play. Guys were really fighting and it set the tone. Most energetic practice of the spring by far.”

Texas is using a number of gunners and they all won reps in this setting: Josh Thompson, D’Shawn Jamison, Chris Adimora, and Kitan Crawford.

Thompson continues to be singled out regardless of playing corner or special teams. “He had another pick on Saturday. He’s picked off both quarterbacks already this spring.” He’s also being singled out for his leadership.

The OL versus DL consists of either tandems or trios going at it. E.g. A tight end and offensive tackle would be pitted against a three-tech and X-backer. Or you could have the OG/C/OG going versus the two interior defensive linemen and a linebacker. These drills also helped spark an energetic and physical practice.

IT has heard the tight ends and offensive lineman are showing some improvement as practice goes on. Even Malcolm Epps at tight end was mentioned for showing some real spirit with regards to blocking.

Christian Jones spent the bulk of practice at left tackle, with Andrej Karic the bulk of time at right tackle. Isaiah Hookfin also worked in at right tackle.

Rafiti Ghirmai was with the ones at center.

The quarterbacks continue to share reps equally and that will be a fixture into August. There’s no real disparity between them yet. In team drills, Casey Thompson may be a bit quicker to leave the pocket, but that’s more him being decisive and taking the free yards rather than feeling antsy. Card so far looks to push the ball downfield a little more. Other than that, they’re pretty similar.

I can confirm that this is true according to my anonymous sources.  The underlying reason is even more miraculous.  Malcolm Epps had been diagnosed with narcolepsy by the previous staff.  As everyone who has watched Epps play can attest, this has affected his aggression and blocking ability.  The new staff has decided to take a more unconventional approach.  They have synchronized Spring practices to coincide with Epps sleeping episodes (this is the actual reason for the delay in practices, not covid).  This is where it gets interesting: the new staff found out that Epps also had violent nightmares while having a narcoleptic episode.

Says one former anonymous player, "[Bleep] dude, when that mother[Bleeper] is asleep it's like that kung fu movie where Kareem Abdul Jabbar fights Bruce Lee". (said my anonymous source Juwan Mitchell, remember to delete sources name later)

Says one anonymous coach, "Uh yea, we just have one of the players on offense walk him to his place on the line.  When Bijan runs behind Epps when he starts to flail, it usually goes for a touchdown."

Well, there you have it, this confirms what Kirk Johnson has been telling me during his what should have been stellar career. -- Chip Brown

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Just my opinion, but schools don’t tell guys to hit the portal. That comes back to bite them in the ass and spoil relationships with high school coaches, etc that these kids played for. They just tell the kid he’s going to have a very tough time ever seeing the field with the current depth chart and they get the hint.

If a school ever told a kid “hey you need to enter the portal to help us out” they would get blasted by that player on social media.

Hahahahhaha. What the fuck? Staffs tell players in one way or another to look around every day. The absurd piety of the premise that “Texas wouldn’t do that” is rich indeed. 

Maybe Kennedy Lewis should have at some point ever realized that his habits weren’t letting him approach maximizing his abilities and the mediocre version of himself wasn’t good enough for big time football. 

10 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I'll never understand these guys (or the laws in Texas, for that matter /no cr) for not having something so basic covered in 2021. People will say "don't smoke weed" and they have their opinion. He's a dumbass in my mind for not knowing how to pass a test. His speed could've been utilized

If smoking weed impacts your upside, don’t be a dumb fuck and keep smoking weed. This guy was a mediocre take who never flashed. Neither staff could figure out his value once he showed up on campus. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Sarkisian asked about Isaiah Hookfin and Tyler Johnson: "I think both those two young guys are both big, physical players. We're trying to get them to a point to where they're not processing as much and thinking as much, and can play physical and play big like they are."

• Hook 'Em 2

Sarkisian on what the responsibilities are for players injured and out for the spring, said they have to engaged during meetings and practices. -- Says the players should be "thinking yourself through your assignment and what your communication should be" during practices.

• Hook 'Em 1

(Bobby Burton) Saturday: Scrimmage notes

Spoiler

Roughly 50 or so former Horns players were in attendance at today’s 2+-hour scrimmage.

Here are a few notes (and an opinion or two) from a person in attendance:

- Starting OL (left to right): Jones-Angilau-Majors-Okafor-Karic/Imade

- Starting receivers: Omeire(green jersey)-Whittington-Moore-Washington

- Starting secondary: Je. Thompson-Foster-Jo. Thompson-Jamison-Dunn/Adimora - Crawford and Schooler (“school boy” as Gideon calls him) working in extensively.

- IMO Card way better than Thompson. But they split the reps evenly.

- They scrimmaged for 2.5 straight hours. Great energy and love the new coaches.

- WRs not great.

- OL didn’t impress me too much - confusion in run blocking here and there.

- They ran tons of RPOs and option routes which I loved and only Whittington was good at feeling out the routes. Lots to fix. Omeire was in a green jersey but looked smooth. Washington made some good catches.

- All 4 TEs (Brewer, Wiley, Epps, Helm) played a bunch.

- Best player by far on the team is Bijan. Tweaked an ankle after 4 huge runs and called it a day.

- There weren’t a lot of uptight rules - felt like a loose party atmosphere.

- Everything was situational - they didn’t do anything vanilla - the whole day was scripted for specific downs and distances and game situations - felt to like a pro practice.

• Hook 'Em 5

11 minutes ago, Machinator said:

(Bobby Burton) Saturday: Scrimmage notes

Reveal hidden contents

Roughly 50 or so former Horns players were in attendance at today’s 2+-hour scrimmage.

Here are a few notes (and an opinion or two) from a person in attendance:

- Starting OL (left to right): Jones-Angilau-Majors-Okafor-Karic/Imade

- Starting receivers: Omeire(green jersey)-Whittington-Moore-Washington

- Starting secondary: Je. Thompson-Foster-Jo. Thompson-Jamison-Dunn/Adimora - Crawford and Schooler (“school boy” as Gideon calls him) working in extensively.

- IMO Card way better than Thompson. But they split the reps evenly.

- They scrimmaged for 2.5 straight hours. Great energy and love the new coaches.

- WRs not great.

- OL didn’t impress me too much - confusion in run blocking here and there.

- They ran tons of RPOs and option routes which I loved and only Whittington was good at feeling out the routes. Lots to fix. Omeire was in a green jersey but looked smooth. Washington made some good catches.

- All 4 TEs (Brewer, Wiley, Epps, Helm) played a bunch.

- Best player by far on the team is Bijan. Tweaked an ankle after 4 huge runs and called it a day.

- There weren’t a lot of uptight rules - felt like a loose party atmosphere.

- Everything was situational - they didn’t do anything vanilla - the whole day was scripted for specific downs and distances and game situations - felt to like a pro practice.

Just show the practice film to Worthy and tell him playing time is up for grabs