2021 Texas spring football thread

Machinator

I know things seem bleak with the WRs but I see things as a positive. 

basically this is development, and the WRs are getting reps to improve. Not to mention Jake is out, Omiere is trying to get better and if we can get Worthy, now we have a deeper WR room 

besides Sark doesn’t sub the WR we just need a good solid 5 imo don’t really need a deep room

Whit, Omiere, Jake, Moore ,Dixon or Washigton

Possibly Worthy??? 

Edited by D3zii

Just read some notes from the tOSU spring game and found no mention of Julian Fleming.  Hopefully the possible secret WR is him and that he decides to enter the portal after spring practices are over.  Also Jaxson Smith-Njigba doing really well... fuck you Herman and Merengue

Additional scrimmage notes from Nahlin

Spoiler

- Card is slightly ahead of Thompson according to a couple more sources but neither were great. Card put a move on Jacoby Jones that might make a highlight post.

- The defense was the better unit today and were particularly stout in goal line.

- Whittington is really the only WR that consistently shows up. He had 4-5 catches. Marcus Washington made some plays, though, too.

- Source was really high on Gbenda (Bobby’s source was too) and Kitan Crawford. “Crawford is ready to start.” Crawford blocked a FG.

- Angilau dinged a shoulder and L. Brockermeyer hurt his wrist. When Angilau went out, Karic went to RG and Tope Imade played RT. Tope wasn’t bad. Brockermeyer had three interceptions this week.

- Jett Bush got some snaps at LB behind Gbenda. If they didn’t have transfers coming he’d probably stay at Jack.

- Anthony Cook made some plays behind Adimora.

- It’s possible Jerrin Thompson and Brenden Schooler are in a real position battle.

6 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:
19 minutes ago, Eggo said:
x, x, x, x, x, x, x, x, x, x, x, x, x

I'm just going to assume you missed that VY is in the picture. It's ok, we all have oversights.

Hey dude, if you want to go dick to face with a 6'5 black man, more power to you. 

Edited by Eggo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

(Mike Roach) VIP notes from Saturday scrimmage

Spoiler

— The quarterback battle continues to be a close race and seems far from over. Throughout the spring, I’ve been told that Hudson Card has been the better player from multiple sources I spoke with. While that continues to be what I hear, both quarterbacks still have a ton of work to do when it comes to getting a handle on this offense. One big adjustment is the amount they are spending under center. Both quarterbacks operated out of the gun quite a bit in high school and that continued under the previous regime. Card has been a bit more consistent from what I’ve been told, but there is still a long way to go. I’d expect this battle to continue into the summer.

— One source I spoke with told me Bijan Robinson continues to elevate his game and amazes the team on a daily basis. Not only is he one of the most gifted players on the team, he’s also one of the hardest workers. I was told that he rattled off a few big runs today early in the session. Roschon Johnson is also being looked at as a big-time piece of this team. The same source I spoke with said that Johnson is upping his level of competition as he competes with Robinson.

— I was told that nobody has really stepped up and taken the lead in the wide receiver group. While guys like Kelvontay Dixon, Marcus Washington and Jordan Whittington have shown some flashes, nobody has been able to grab the reins and that continued today. It sounds like for every one step forward there were two steps back with this group. That could change when Troy Omeire is fully healthy. Omeire participated in the scrimmage, but I was told it was in a limited role wearing a green jersey as they try to ease him back into action.

— The offensive line is still a work in progress. A lot of it is youth, but there’s also a lot of new terminology they are working through. Kyle Flood has been continually mixing and matching his units there to try to find the right combinations. Right tackle was split between Tope Imade and Andrej Karic. There’s also been some confidence with sources I spoke with that Denzel Okafor might be really coming on. Overall, this unit will need to improve quite a bit, but I was told that Flood doesn’t think they are incapable of reaching that success.

— For the first time in a few years, Texas has some real options at the tight end position. I was told they all had their moments today and freshman Gunnar Helm has surprised quite a few folks with how quickly he’s putting everything together. There’s some excitement around Juan Davis as well, but he doesn’t have the natural feel for the position and will have to develop some of the fundamentals. This is one group I was told that seems further ahead than the coaches expected.

— As to be expected, the defense had the stronger day of the two units. A lot of that is because the coaches are turning those players loose and letting them read and react. Jacoby Jones and Keondre Coburn were two players singled out by Steve Sarkisian for their performance today, and what I heard backs that up. Both guys gave the offensive line fits up front as Jones is developing into a potential impact player with some pass rush ability. I was also told that the team needs more from the edge rushers outside of Ray Thornton who has been a revelation in spring ball.

— I didn’t hear much on the linebacker group outside of David Gbenda who brings a really hard-nosed and physical approach. I was told that Gbenda still needs to clean up his run fits at times, but he’s not afraid to stick his nose into the gap to make a play.

— Sark praised the secondary for its play today, and I was told the cornerback group, in particular, was strong. There is some young depth there making plays and one source called out Kitan Crawford as a guy making an impression. Crawford made an early impact in limited action last year because of his athleticism, but his instincts are also top-notch for the position. At safety, the depth is still thin at safety but everyone in that group is “competing their asses off.” The transition of Brenden Schooler to safety has been better than expected. Schooler is playing with incredible energy and showing off some incredible play at times. I was also told that Schooler was getting some looks at linebacker situationally as Texas looks to plug and play for depth.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, Machinator said:

(Mike Roach) VIP notes from Saturday scrimmage

Hide contents

— The quarterback battle continues to be a close race and seems far from over. Throughout the spring, I’ve been told that Hudson Card has been the better player from multiple sources I spoke with. While that continues to be what I hear, both quarterbacks still have a ton of work to do when it comes to getting a handle on this offense. One big adjustment is the amount they are spending under center. Both quarterbacks operated out of the gun quite a bit in high school and that continued under the previous regime. Card has been a bit more consistent from what I’ve been told, but there is still a long way to go. I’d expect this battle to continue into the summer.

— One source I spoke with told me Bijan Robinson continues to elevate his game and amazes the team on a daily basis. Not only is he one of the most gifted players on the team, he’s also one of the hardest workers. I was told that he rattled off a few big runs today early in the session. Roschon Johnson is also being looked at as a big-time piece of this team. The same source I spoke with said that Johnson is upping his level of competition as he competes with Robinson.

— I was told that nobody has really stepped up and taken the lead in the wide receiver group. While guys like Kelvontay Dixon, Marcus Washington and Jordan Whittington have shown some flashes, nobody has been able to grab the reins and that continued today. It sounds like for every one step forward there were two steps back with this group. That could change when Troy Omeire is fully healthy. Omeire participated in the scrimmage, but I was told it was in a limited role wearing a green jersey as they try to ease him back into action.

— The offensive line is still a work in progress. A lot of it is youth, but there’s also a lot of new terminology they are working through. Kyle Flood has been continually mixing and matching his units there to try to find the right combinations. Right tackle was split between Tope Imade and Andrej Karic. There’s also been some confidence with sources I spoke with that Denzel Okafor might be really coming on. Overall, this unit will need to improve quite a bit, but I was told that Flood doesn’t think they are incapable of reaching that success.

— For the first time in a few years, Texas has some real options at the tight end position. I was told they all had their moments today and freshman Gunnar Helm has surprised quite a few folks with how quickly he’s putting everything together. There’s some excitement around Juan Davis as well, but he doesn’t have the natural feel for the position and will have to develop some of the fundamentals. This is one group I was told that seems further ahead than the coaches expected.

— As to be expected, the defense had the stronger day of the two units. A lot of that is because the coaches are turning those players loose and letting them read and react. Jacoby Jones and Keondre Coburn were two players singled out by Steve Sarkisian for their performance today, and what I heard backs that up. Both guys gave the offensive line fits up front as Jones is developing into a potential impact player with some pass rush ability. I was also told that the team needs more from the edge rushers outside of Ray Thornton who has been a revelation in spring ball.

— I didn’t hear much on the linebacker group outside of David Gbenda who brings a really hard-nosed and physical approach. I was told that Gbenda still needs to clean up his run fits at times, but he’s not afraid to stick his nose into the gap to make a play.

— Sark praised the secondary for its play today, and I was told the cornerback group, in particular, was strong. There is some young depth there making plays and one source called out Kitan Crawford as a guy making an impression. Crawford made an early impact in limited action last year because of his athleticism, but his instincts are also top-notch for the position. At safety, the depth is still thin at safety but everyone in that group is “competing their asses off.” The transition of Brenden Schooler to safety has been better than expected. Schooler is playing with incredible energy and showing off some incredible play at times. I was also told that Schooler was getting some looks at linebacker situationally as Texas looks to plug and play for depth.

8-4

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Machinator said:

— The quarterback battle continues to be a close race and seems far from over. Throughout the spring, I’ve been told that Hudson Card has been the better player from multiple sources I spoke with.

Same as it ever was with 9.95ers. But see:

”On Thursday, however, sixth-year offensive guard Denzel Okafor provided some of the deepest public insight yet into how Sarkisian and offensive coordinator/offensive line coach Kyle Flood are distributing reps in practice, saying that Thompson is taking most of the first-team reps with Card rotating in “every now and then.”

“Both guys know how to throw the ball, have good vision. Casey is more of a dual-threat quarterback, but as of now Casey is getting most of the reps with the ones,” Okafor said.”

Source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.burntorangenation.com/platform/amp/2021/4/15/22385900/casey-thompson-first-team-reps-hudson-card-denzel-okafor-texas-longhorns

These 9.95ers love creating bullshit narratives about the backups 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Same as it ever was with 9.95ers. But see:

”On Thursday, however, sixth-year offensive guard Denzel Okafor provided some of the deepest public insight yet into how Sarkisian and offensive coordinator/offensive line coach Kyle Flood are distributing reps in practice, saying that Thompson is taking most of the first-team reps with Card rotating in “every now and then.”

“Both guys know how to throw the ball, have good vision. Casey is more of a dual-threat quarterback, but as of now Casey is getting most of the reps with the ones,” Okafor said.”

Source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.burntorangenation.com/platform/amp/2021/4/15/22385900/casey-thompson-first-team-reps-hudson-card-denzel-okafor-texas-longhorns

These 9.95ers love creating bullshit narratives about the backups 

It’s been said by pretty much all 9.95ers that Okafor was not accurate with that statement. These guys that are on the team aren’t counting in their head how many reps each QB is getting. 

Oh, and I know someone who was at the scrimmage yesterday and Card got more reps with the 1’s and looked better.

8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

It’s been said by pretty much all 9.95ers that Okafor was not accurate with that statement. These guys that are on the team aren’t counting in their head how many reps each QB is getting. 

Oh, and I know someone who was at the scrimmage yesterday and Card got more reps with the 1’s and looked better.

Hmm who should I trust? The “Swoopes will start” guys or a player on the team. Sounds like a real brain buster

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, Pig Bellmont said:

Hmm who should I trust? The “Swoopes will start” guys or a player on the team. Sounds like a real brain buster

Ha, funny thing is I don’t think OB has come out with one practice report. They are completely in the dark after serving as Herman’s mouthpiece under the last staff.

• Hook 'Em 1