2021 Texas spring football thread

Machinator

4 hours ago, runthebone said:

Are you incapable of posting pics?

Actually, based on every woman in HR ever, don't bother.

Hey! My wife works in HR! 

Actually, now that I think about it, you’re right, don’t bother...😂

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, ousux said:

Am I wrong in thinking our LB situation is more dire than anyone but the coaching staff realizes? I mean...if reports one of our WR's last year getting looks at LB this year are true.

Not saying you’re off base, here- I’m sure you’re following along much closer than I; but might it be that said WR has “grown out” of his position? And if he’s familiar with trends and routes of the WR position, maybe he can flat cover those routes? 
I’ve no idea- Maybe Sark is playing a little “Mad Scientist” of his own...?

And @Pig Bellmont/ I agree. OL has had me concerned for the better part of the past 5+ years.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, NTVTXN said:

Not saying you’re off base, here- I’m sure you’re following along much closer than I; but might it be that said WR has “grown out” of his position? And if he’s familiar with trends and routes of the WR position, maybe he can flat cover those routes? 
I’ve no idea- Maybe Sark is playing a little “Mad Scientist” of his own...?

And @Pig Bellmont/ I agree. OL has had me concerned for the better part of the past 5+ years.

if by 5 + you mean 5 + 10 I agree

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ousux said:

Am I wrong in thinking our LB situation is more dire than anyone but the coaching staff realizes? I mean...if reports one of our WR's last year getting looks at LB this year are true.

I think we can have two quality LBs in Overshown and Gbenda. Then, we have a lot of young talent. Schooler and Owens could do well if they switch positions. Schooler already plays some lb situationally. I guess the guy from Alabama is still coming. I haven't heard anything about him lately. I don't see it as a team strength and it and rush end will be the weak points of the defense, but I don't think the situation is dire. For comparison, it should be better than our NC championship team linebacking crew.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I agree. I am in full Satya mode on this offensive line until proven wrong. I’m honestly surprised people aren’t more concerned. 

How is the OL worse than it was in our bowl game?

7 minutes ago, Red Five said:

We return everyone on the OL. Guys that started in the bowl game may be on the bench. This is the best we’ve looked on the OL in over a decade.

"The best we have looked on the OL in over a decade" sounds great until you give it some thought. Still, we will be fine on the OL. And if we get Worthy and a PTBNL, we should be fine at WR. QB is fine. TE is good. RB is great. Basically, we are a dominant LT and a dominant WR from being a great offense.

Edited by Bevo

3 minutes ago, GringoSalado said:

We can't block our DEs. If iron sharpens iron then we have aluminum sharpening copper or something.

Defense always looks better early on because it’s quicker to adjust. Worrying about  OL in the first spring of a whole new coaching staff is retarded. What you should expect the line to be is competent in the first game and progress to being a good unit as the season goes. Competent OL play will be superior to anything in the last decade. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Defense always looks better early on because it’s quicker to adjust. Worrying about  OL in the first spring of a whole new coaching staff is retarded. 

Speak for yourself, I've been retardedly worried about our OL for about 15 years.

edit: patiently waiting to be wrong, that's all.

Edited by GringoSalado
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, ousux said:

What reports?

If it's Schooler spinning down, he's a fifth year dude who's been a good defensive player before at Oregon. Overshown/Gbenda/Ford/Gaoteote isn't a terrible best four.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1

We return everyone on the OL. Guys that started in the bowl game may be on the bench. This is the best we’ve looked on the OL in over a decade.
Plus a 5th year senior who started all 4 previous years at one position or another. OL may not be a strength this year, but I wouldnt call it dire at all.

5 hours ago, ousux said:

You’re wrong that Schooler is getting looks at LB. Using a safety situationally in the box is not the same as him playing LB. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JFKFC said:

The LBs and O-line will be a disaster, the safeties are a question mark, but if everything comes together, our new end zone will be fucking gorgeous. 

I think people are not realizing how much returning talent we actually have on the offensive line. When deployed properly we have already seen how effective it can be at the end of the season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, oldhorn2 said:

I dont get it....we are worried about our line backers when OU has won the conference 50 years in a row with a total shit show of a defense?...

Our offense this year ain't going to be prime Riley-era OU so we need our advantages where we can find them.

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

How is the OL worse than it was in our bowl game?

Because we won’t be playing Colorado every fucking game? Jesus Christ, our best returning lineman was last seen screaming in pain after his leg was snapped in half. Denzel Okafor, god bless him, has never been even average in 6 years. Christian Jones could barely block air last year. 

Tons of Trust the Marine in this thread.

• Hook 'Em 3

31 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I think people are not realizing how much returning talent we actually have on the offensive line. When deployed properly we have already seen how effective it can be at the end of the season. 

Things have been ineffective for so long , folks have blinders on to the effective.

45 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Because we won’t be playing Colorado every fucking game? Jesus Christ, our best returning lineman was last seen screaming in pain after his leg was snapped in half. Denzel Okafor, god bless him, has never been even average in 6 years. Christian Jones could barely block air last year. 

SATY is that you ??

7 hours ago, NTVTXN said:

Hey! My wife works in HR! 

Hahah, this reminds me of a really hilarious HR woman at a company I once worked for. You would come to her office and tell her your problem, and she would say, “you think that sounds bad, listen to what happened to my husband,” and thirty minutes later you would leave her office after listening to some stupid, unrelated problem and with none of your issues addressed. She should have been a reoccurring character on Seinfeld. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I am highly entertained by your angst here. I’m not saying you’re wrong, I’m just saying your handwringing is well done. 

1 hour ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

giphy.gif

Mike Roach team notes

Spoiler

— I was able to speak with more sources regarding yesterday’s scrimmage and the performance of the team this spring. The sources I spoke with today echoed what I heard yesterday regarding the quarterback battle. As I reported yesterday, sources I speak with around the team have singled out Hudson Card as the top performer at the position over the last few weeks. I’ll reiterate that it’s still a close race that will likely extend into the season, but the freshman signal caller has been a bit more consistent than Casey Thompson from what I’m told.

— If you’re looking for young guys who can make an impact, look no further than Terrence Cooks. The 2021 signee is seeing some time with the ones and is taking advantage of a lack of true linebacker depth. Cooks was singled out by one source I spoke with as a player who has silently gone to work since arriving on campus. Luke Brockermeyer and David Gbenda were the starters at linebacker, but Cooks got some run after Brockermeyer was banged up a bit.

— The buzz around Kitan Crawford continues to be strong. The athleticism and skill is there, but he’s still developing when it comes to learning the coverages and playing in the proper technique. That said, he’s really pushing the guys ahead of him. On the other side of the coin, I’ve heard that Jahdae Barron is struggling and needs to pick things up. JD Coffey was another young player who was mentioned as picking things up quickly. His intelligence and football IQ are putting him into a position to play early.

— One source I spoke with today said that Marcus Washington is really settling into things and getting comfortable with his skillset. I’ve been told he’s been coming on in recent weeks and is turning into one of the most reliable pass-catchers. A separate source also mentioned Montrell Estell as someone who made the transition to receiver smoothly and has had a few nice moments.

— I mentioned that Jacoby Jones, Keondre Coburn and Ray Thornton were all praised for their performance in the scrimmage, and a source I spoke with today echoed that sentiment while adding that most of the defensive line has been impressive all the way through spring.

— I was told that Brenden Schooler spent a lot of time working at the SAM linebacker spot and played there for the majority of the scrimmage. He worked a little bit at free safety, but he’s been a potentially big find for the SAM linebacker position.

— I did confirm that Bijan Robinson was injured during the scrimmage, but it doesn’t sound like anything serious. He was removed for precautionary reasons, but the source I spoke to doesn’t expect anything lingering.

— Cade Brewer is moving better from what I’ve heard after dropping a bit of weight. He and Jared Wiley will be used most often from what it sounds like while Malcolm Epps could be played more inside the red zone. Gunnar Helm and Juan Davis were praised but they are still only playing a limited number of plays.

— A source I spoke with mentioned that Terry Joseph has been huge in helping the defensive backs with pre-snap recognition. I was told that his focus on the mental part of the game has been a big step forward and more players are finding themselves around the ball.

— To that end, I was told that the defensive scheme is allowing the secondary to flow more naturally and “just play.” This source mentioned that if the style holds it should benefit the current personnel group. “This defensive scheme that we are running is a fit for most of the guys recruited here,” was what I was told. This source expects BJ Foster to take a step forward as he’s in more of a seek and destroy role once again.

— As his first full spring draws near a conclusion, the reviews on Steve Sarkisian have been strong. “He just teaches the game,” one source said. “He just wants them to go full speed. The way he coaches, I haven’t seen anything like it. He brings good energy to the team.” I was told that guys are hanging around the facility more and playing at ease because of that energy. “I’ve never seen this many people on the team actually smile and have fun while playing football.”

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Machinator said:
Spoiler

— As his first full spring draws near a conclusion, the reviews on Steve Sarkisian have been strong. “He just teaches the game,” one source said. “He just wants them to go full speed. The way he coaches, I haven’t seen anything like it. He brings good energy to the team.” I was told that guys are hanging around the facility more and playing at ease because of that energy. “I’ve never seen this many people on the team actually smile and have fun while playing football.”

I'm having a really tough time retaining the caution on my optimism.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

That’s a good way to announce to the board that you have no idea what you are talking about. 

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Looks like Washington tore it up. Good to see a pulse at WR outside of Whittington. 

Washington was the best player in the field during his UA AA game that year. I'm shocked, SHOCKED Herman found a way to have him on the bench when the likes of Epps and Cade Brewer were being split out wide 

Edited by TankedBevo
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Nope said:

Gabriel Watson sighting 

We may legitimately be 4 deep at RB

I think Gabe should have played more last year. Especially during Ingram’s funk. He looked decent to good against Colorado. Not to mention his FCS film. 

I think Herman’s super power was substituting the wrong guys. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1