2021 Texas spring football thread

Machinator

4 hours ago, Machinator said:

Mike Roach team notes

Hide contents

— Cade Brewer is moving better from what I’ve heard after dropping a bit of weight. He and Jared Wiley will be used most often from what it sounds like while Malcolm Epps could be played more inside the red zone. 

I swear to fucking God I will kill someone if Sark puts Epps in a goal line package. 

I was told that guys are hanging around the facility more and playing at ease because of that energy. “I’ve never seen this many people on the team actually smile and have fun whileplaying football.”

I saw this same quote in 2016, with one slight change. Spoilering due to triggeration. 

Spoiler

I was told that guys are hanging around the facility more and playing FUCKING PING PONG because of that energy. “I’ve never seen this many people on the team actually smile and have fun whileplaying FUCKING PING PONG.”

Edited by Vito Andolini
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

On 4/16/2021 at 9:37 PM, UDontKnow said:

Lots of candidates to choose from: Al'vonte Woodard, Dajon Harrison, Montrell Estelle, and even Joshua Moore (if he lets off the field issues continue to plague him). 

one of these is not like the other

• Woodard career: 7 catches, 62 yards, 0 TD
  • Harrison career: 0 catches, 0 yards, 0 TD
  • Estelle career: 0 catches, 0 yards, 0 TD
  • Josh Moore career: 37 catches, 525 yards, 10 TD

Did Moore have any off field issues in the last 12 months that I am forgetting?

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

It’s been suggested on social media that some apartment walls ran into his fist.  Not clear on who started the fight. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, NoName said:

He busted up his girlfriend's apartment then missed like a week of practice with an "illness"

• Hook 'Em 2

39 minutes ago, Ravishing Rick said:

It’s been suggested on social media that some apartment walls ran into his fist.  Not clear on who started the fight. 

22 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He busted up his girlfriend's apartment then missed like a week of practice with an "illness"

missed this - thanks

8 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Ah shit, if COVID-Newy thinks we are in the clear, I’m sure everything will be A-OK. This is just like last April. Things turned out great!

You should go hide in your hole and we’ll let you know when it’s safe to come out.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

If interested, all VIP content unlocked for today on 247...

So enjoy FUCK CHIP BROWN and Roachie if yah want

I was thinking about this over the weekend but how are you enjoying all your free time since Machinator came back? Is it nice and refreshing to just be able to post casually? hahaha

14 hours ago, Machinator said:

— If you’re looking for young guys who can make an impact, look no further than Terrence Cooks. The 2021 signee is seeing some time with the ones and is taking advantage of a lack of true linebacker depth. Cooks was singled out by one source I spoke with as a player who has silently gone to work since arriving on campus. Luke Brockermeyer and David Gbenda were the starters at linebacker, but Cooks got some run after Brockermeyer was banged up a bit.

Cooks was ridiculously underrated last year.  He's got everything you'd want in a LB. He's going to be a stud.

14 hours ago, Machinator said:

— The buzz around Kitan Crawford continues to be strong. The athleticism and skill is there, but he’s still developing when it comes to learning the coverages and playing in the proper technique. That said, he’s really pushing the guys ahead of him.

Crawford has all the NFL traits.  Glad to hear the light seems to be coming on for him.

13 hours ago, CashMcCoy said:

Bijan with a stiff-arm to the ground and a filthy move at one point. Pumped for the spring game.

At :36, it looks like Dorbah beat Hookfin around the edge for a sack.   It was a little bit hard to tell, but from piecing together different clips, our second team OL looks to be Garth-Tyler Johnson-Ghirmai-Conner-Hookfin.  Glad to see Johnson is running second team. I hope he stays engaged because he could very likely be a starter at Guard for us next year.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, NoName said:

You missed his gf? ex-gf? BAE? not sure what she is...going to Twitter accusing him of getting her evicted from her apartment after he damaged it. She posted screenshots of text message conversations between herself and Moore's mother. This happened within the last six weeks.

23 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

You missed his gf? ex-gf? BAE? not sure what she is...going to Twitter accusing him of getting her evicted from her apartment after he damaged it. She posted screenshots of text message conversations between herself and Moore's mother. This happened within the last six weeks.

yes i did. my fault there, thanks.

17 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Because we won’t be playing Colorado every fucking game? Jesus Christ, our best returning lineman was last seen screaming in pain after his leg was snapped in half. Denzel Okafor, god bless him, has never been even average in 6 years. Christian Jones could barely block air last year. 

Tons of Trust the Marine in this thread.

6th Street sock confirmed. 

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

IT team notes

Hide contents

Anthony Cook is playing very well at nickel and it still doesn’t seem like a real battle with Chris Adimora.

I’m so confused. Earlier reports have stated that it’s basically Adimora’s spot to lose and this new reports makes it seem as if it’s Cook’s job and it’s not even close. 

Also is Dunn not an option at Nickle? Surprised he would transfer to Texas and not play. 

2 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

I’m so confused. Earlier reports have stated that it’s basically Adimora’s spot to lose and this new reports makes it seem as if it’s Cook’s job and it’s not even close. 

Also is Dunn not an option at Nickle? Surprised he would transfer to Texas and not play. 

I read it the other way; that Cook has been playing really well, but Adimora is so good that he's not really closing the distance 

They appear content to let Jamison, Thompson, Dunn, and even Crawford battle it out for the two outside corner spots, and let Adimora and Cook have NB

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, FreeHorn said:

I read that like even though Cook has been playing well Adimora has a strangle hold on the job.

Pretty sure Dunn is best as an outside guy, I think if he came in and was clearly one of our top two CBs the idea was we could move Jamison to nickel but that doesn't seem to be happening. If he's our 3rd CB he'll get plenty of playing time.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

They were saying even though Cook's playing well, he's not close to unseating Adimora. 

6 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

Cook good, Adimora gooder

21 minutes ago, Fud said:

I read it the other way; that Cook has been playing really well, but Adimora is so good that he's not really closing the distance 

They appear content to let Jamison, Thompson, Dunn, and even Crawford battle it out for the two outside corner spots, and let Adimora and Cook have NB

Makes sense. 

20 minutes ago, Fud said:

20 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

I read that like even though Cook has been playing well Adimora has a strangle hold on the job.

Pretty sure Dunn is best as an outside guy, I think if he came in and was clearly one of our top two CBs the idea was we could move Jamison to nickel but that doesn't seem to be happening. If he's our 3rd CB he'll get plenty of playing time.

19 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

They were saying even though Cook's playing well, he's not close to unseating Adimora. 

17 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

Cook good, Adimora gooder

These are all correct.

3 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

"There is growing optimism the offensive line will be good this season and recently Kyle Flood said, “we are going to get better, and we are going to get better in a hurry.” 

So, our OL is good again? 

Rollercoaster GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Despite the handwringing about it over the weekend there are reasons to be optimistic about the OL. Or at least not hide under the covers about it. This staff has been aggressive chasing transfers for spots it has identified as weak points (edge rusher, ILB, WR) and has so far been content to stand pat on OL. So Flood and Sark at least seem to think there is enough talent there for now.

Good coaching and scheme can make more difference at that group than almost any other and we probably have the 2nd most talent there in the conference even if it doesn't feel like it. A truly dominant offensive line may still be a few years away but average to above average is pretty attainable this season. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Despite the handwringing about it over the weekend there are reasons to be optimistic about the OL. Or at least not hide under the covers about it. This staff has been aggressive chasing transfers for spots it has identified as weak points (edge rusher, ILB, WR) and has so far been content to stand pat on OL. So Flood and Sark at least seem to think there is enough talent there for now.

Good coaching and scheme can make more difference at that group than almost any other and we probably have the 2nd most talent there in the conference even if it doesn't feel like it. A truly dominant offensive line may still be a few years away but average to above average is pretty attainable this season. 

That's a good point. They went for three EDGE guys instead of replacing even one of them with an OL.

7 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

I like this logic and chose to accept it. If we get a transfer at a position, we can get excited because we stole them from other schools. And if we don’t get a transfer at a position, it means we get excited because we are set at the position. Great success!

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Ah shit, if COVID-Newy thinks we are in the clear, I’m sure everything will be A-OK. This is just like last April. Things turned out great!

That’s interesting that you brought that Covid thread up. If you go back through the predictions I was right far more than I was wrong. That’s a terrible example to point to discredit my opinions. I took the contrarian view that we would have a season and a vaccine sooner rather than later while the majority of people took the opposite view. Your inner Michael Scott is on full display, sir. 

Edited by Newy25
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, texifornia said:

giphy.gif

God damnit. The two fucking shot of Jamison after two gin and tonics and three negronis was clearly a mistake last night and I apologize for mentioning a "political" topic. Taking my deserved negs and not engaging with Newy.  

Let's get back to my bed wetting about the offensive line. Can't wait to see Kyle Flood teach Angilau how to pass protect!

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, UncleSonny said:

Looking more and more like we are going to start 4 of the 5 staters from last year. Kerstetter, Angilau, Okafor, Jones. Which means that coaching and scheme was the problem last year. 

If the OL can learn to pick up stunts at merely an average level, the unit as a whole will be exponentially better. 

Last year, I picture the OL asking Hand, "coach, how do we handle a stunt?" And Hand probably hearing: "coach, how do we handle a steak?" and then excitedly going into grilling methods and his possible invention of the 'Grill Hands' for the right grip (tm). I'm sure Hand was extra hungry during OU week, during which our OL play reached crisis levels. 

45 minutes ago, Askew said:

Looking more and more like we are going to start 4 of the 5 staters from last year. Kerstetter, Angilau, Okafor, Jones. Which means that coaching and scheme was the problem last year. 

If the OL can learn to pick up stunts at merely an average level, the unit as a whole will be exponentially better. 

Last year, I picture the OL asking Hand, "coach, how do we handle a stunt?" And Hand probably hearing: "coach, how do we handle a steak?" and then excitedly going into grilling methods and his possible invention of the 'Grill Hands' for the right grip (tm). I'm sure Hand was extra hungry during OU week, during which our OL play reached crisis levels. 

It's not quite as simple as returning starters. Kerstetter was god awful at Center from Day 1.  He didn't even know how to block inside zone, our primary run play, against UTEP.  It was clear Hand did a terrible job of coaching him for the position switch.  Our OL took a massive jump last year when Kerstetter was moved to RT and Majors came in at Center, because he could actually block inside and outside zone.   I'm also curious to see what happens at the OT spots when Kerstetter gets back.  He's one of the guys Flood talked about as "guys who can only play tackle who have length and athleticism but lack power to move inside."  

38 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Good to see Liebrock and Juan Davis getting the ball. 

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Look off in the second clip completely lulled Cook to sleep. 

QB good, DB bad. The zero sum joy of practice clips. 

I think that's Darion Dunn

18 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Good to see Liebrock and Juan Davis getting the ball. 

I think that's Travis West; Liebrock should be out for awhile longer 

• Hook 'Em 3