2021 Texas spring football thread

Machinator

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

I think that's Darion Dunn

I think that's Travis West; Liebrock should be out for awhile longer 

Forgot about walk ons with the same number. Yeah, it looks more like a WR. I was hoping Liebrock was back already.  He's on the small side to be blocking inline and he's going to have Davis and Sanders challenging his spot at H-back in the near future.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Look off in the second clip completely lulled Cook to sleep. 

QB good, DB bad. The zero sum joy of practice clips. 

I realize I have a tendency to be optimistic by nature but I’m pretty bullish Card. Herman and staff were pretty high on him and I think he is going to start to separate. He’s probably not getting propped up by his receivers right now, either. 

• Hook 'Em 1

FCB

Spoiler

— Talked to a few team sources for a couple more nuggets from Saturday's scrimmage ...

Jordan Whittington caught two touchdown passes - one from Hudson Card - and the final touchdown of the scrimmage on a fourth-and-goal pass from Casey Thompson.

Card connected on a TD pass to Malcolm Epps in the red zone, and there was also an explosive play touchdown pass from Thompson to Kelvontay Dixon of about 50 yards.

Sarkisian summed up the play of his quarterbacks in the scrimmage this way:

"Both really played well. They really did. Right now, we have too many negative plays. They (the quarterbacks) take the brunt of it, because when you get sacked on first down, you’re playing second-and-long football, and that’s hard to win.

"We were trying to cut down on those negative plays from a week ago, and I think we did that. But even a few of those plays is not acceptable.

"But I thought they both used their legs well, extending plays and creating plays down the field. Finding people down the field to create explosive plays - which was better than we did a week ago. They extended drives and scored in the red area.

"There’s still a lot to do at that position. That’s a position we take a lot of pride in, and there’s still a lot to do."

— The football team will practice Tuesday and Thursday this week, then have a walk-through Friday before the Orange-White Game on Saturday at 1 pm CT (Longhorn Network).

Steve Sarkisian said he likes "to pick teams" for a spring game instead of having offense go against defense with a scoring format that fans can't easily process.

"I always felt like it was awkward when you play offense versus defense. The scoring never feels right. The fans don’t know what’s happening," Sarkisian said. "You try to create a scenario that’s game-like with real football scoring so people can follow along with what’s going on. I think that’s just more enjoyable for everyone."

Admission to the spring game is FREE and seating will be available in the lower bowl in on a first-come, first-served basis with social distancing measures in place.

Texas officials are asking fans - once inside - to sit in one of the comfortable, socially distanced orange chairbacks seats. For those that choose to sit in Sections 3-6, orange stickers have been placed on the backs of the seats to indicate available seats.

Gates will open at Noon. Fans may enter the stadium through Gates 7, 8, 25, 27, 28, and 31.

Because construction is still going on with the south end zone of DKR, the videoboard and primary audio system for the stadium will not be operational. There will also be no Bevo Blvd., Smokey’s Midway or Longhorn City Limits, and the Texas Athletics Hall of Fame in the north end will also remain closed. UT officials expect all of those experiences to return in the fall.

• Hook 'Em 3

41 minutes ago, Machinator said:

"Both really played well. They really did. Right now, we have too many negative plays. They (the quarterbacks) take the brunt of it, because when you get sacked on first down, you’re playing Tom Herman Texas Football, and that’s hard to win.

How I read that.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Doesn't help that seemingly a third of the roster has changed their number in the last year.

Add in the fact possibility that we have 3 Thompsons and 2 Johnsons likely to be contributors.  And Cook/Cooks.

Edited by Hmmm

Just about everyone looks bigger yet leaner, Kitan is another example on this page. Not only are the players in hella good shape, I think the staff is doing the bodybuilder trick and outfitting everyone in jerseys too small for them.

Larry: “Flutie, I got a boy’s medium!”

Flutie: “That’ll work.”

The new cameras also have incredible detail, so the images are dramatic. The look is also classic work clothes, not candied up, so it’s just stark, real and bad ass.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

He looks bigger or is it just me?

What Vito said. He's leaner. His waist is smaller so it makes him look bigger. He may have gained a few pounds of muscle, but he's 4 pounds lighter overall. 227 --> 224 I believe. 

Nahlin

Spoiler

It’s not time to celebrate or schedule vacation time during bowl season, but the staff has positioned the program to continue moving forward into summer and August camp. As one source put it, “normally with spring ball, and especially with a new staff, you take two steps forward and one step back. That hasn’t really happened, there’s just been continued improvement.”

Optimistic

— The most important question coming into camp, not to be confused with the biggest (QuArTErBacKz) has been the offensive line. So far we’re seeing the two most fortuitous outcomes: left tackle Christian Jones is looking like he’ll win that job, which has the downstream effect of putting Andrej Karic at right tackle or potentially guard long-term, and, there isn’t an obvious position begging for Derek Kerstetter’s return.

Said a source, “The offensive line has probably improved the most, which is great because you don’t want to go into the summer with a ton of concern on the o-line.”

We know the interior defensive line talent is strong, so it’s quite interesting we aren’t hearing about them making too much noise versus the interior linemen. Last August, the interior o-line was being rag-dolled.

This isn’t to say the o-line will be dominant, and there are plenty of technique issues to iron out, but it has the chance to be comfortably above league average. That should be the expectation based on where the line is today.

— As concerns surrounding the o-line wane, so to do the concerns regarding the defensive starters on the edge. We’ve heard everything we need to hear regarding seniors Jacoby Jones and Ray Thornton. Depth behind them remains a concern until more help arrives this summer, but these two won’t be a weakness and may prove to be a strength. Jones in particular probably has room for another jump in play this August as he continues to refine with his position coach, who happens to be one of the best in the game.

Prince Dorbah hasn’t had his breakout moment, but he at least has a high athletic ceiling Pete Kwiakowski can work with.

— Spring is a good time for blossoming, and we’re hearing linebacker David Gbenda, cornerback Kitan Crawford, and now back at his original position of safety, Brenden Schooler, are doing just that. While he’s not blossoming, after finally getting healthy Jaylen Garth is beginning to sprout at left tackle.

Realistic

— The quarterbacks are still a work in progress, but it’s April, and every position is. My opinion is Hudson Card will earn the job. From those on the ground, his quick delivery and accuracy in the short passing game gives him the advantage. While the coaches feel these guys have a ways to go, they also feel they can win with each.

The o-line’s continued improvement along with the running game will make for a tremendous crutch for whoever wins the position battle.

— The tight ends are looking solid but not much more. You can win with solid at the position. They at least have good fits for 12 personnel and we’ve heard good things about the younger guys. Brayden Liebrock missing the spring was a bad beat but if Malcolm Epps departs that swings the door wide open for Liebrock as the flex tight end.

— Aside Gbenda, the linebacker position is missing another potential impact player. That is guaranteed to change with the return of De’Marvion Overshown for August camp, but it may change more quickly if the Portal giveth.

I’m surprised to have not heard more about Jaylan Ford. He hasn’t been bad, but he has been quiet. Luke Brockermeyer has had a good, active camp, and he’s actually one of the fastest linebackers.

Pessimistic

— The zero-sum game of intrasquad scrimmaging becomes even more muddied when 1s go against the 2s, but it does clarify one thing: the second team corners are better than the current first team wide receivers. We’re not including Jordan Whittington in that, especially when he’s lined up inside or going against zone coverage.

Wide receiver is the weak link on the team and it’s further hindered by injuries. If you’re a glass half full type, players returning from injuries at least offers the position more theoretical upside for August camp.

Spring has gone about as well as can be expected when it comes to injuries, but losing Jake Smith on the first day of practice was a setback for the whole offense, not just Smith. Fortunately, QB/WR reps are easy to come by outside of the structure of official Texas football business. It should be a busy summer for quarterbacks and receivers in 7 on 7.

Expect the coaches to imPort someone who can offer immediate value. Who that player will be remains to be seen.

• Hook 'Em 5

I'm very excited to see what our secondary can do this year. 

Josh Thompson always gets hyped every off season and then he either gets injured or I just don't notice him during the year.  He's got NFL size and athleticism.  Let's see if he can put it all together this year with a coaching staff that knows how to develop DBs.  

I expect to see more of the same from Jamison.  Playmaker, aggressive, fast.  I also expect him to get beat from time to time.  With his aggressive nature and his size, it's going to happen.  

Having Dunn and Crawford back up those guys is a luxury.  Both of those guys are P5 starters at other schools.  The both have NFL size and athleticism.  I'm hoping they learn and get valuable playing time this year because we will need them both to start next year.

Adimora is going to get drafted.  Enjoy him this year.  Having Cook behind him is a luxury with his experience.  

I'm really curious to see our safeties.  BJ Foster has to put it together this year.  He had a phenomenal freshman year making plays.  Then he basically played with 1 shoulder all of his sophomore year.  I'm not sure if he's lost confidence or if he was being misused.  I really hope PK uses him to his strengths which is to play near the line of scrimmage and blitzing the QB.  Seeing our 5 stars regress after showing promising freshmen years needs to stop with this coaching staff.  Not sure what to think of Jerrin Thompson with his limited sample size . 

Then we have Schooler.  From the practice reports, he seems to be making plays against the 1st team offense playing on the 2nd team D.  I expect to see him quite a bite.  I honestly wouldn't mind seeing Foster and Schooler starting back there.  Keep Foster closer to the line and have Schooler play back and utilize his speed.  

Edited by victory88
  • Hook 'Em 1