2021 Texas spring football thread

Machinator

50 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Josh Thompson always gets hyped every off season and then he either gets injured or I just don't notice him during the year.  He's got NFL size and athleticism.  Let's see if he can put it all together this year with a coaching staff that knows how to develop DBs.  

There are worse issues for a cornerback.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Machinator said:

So far we’re seeing the two most fortuitous outcomes: left tackle Christian Jones is looking like he’ll win that job,

55 minutes ago, Machinator said:

— As concerns surrounding the o-line wane, so to do the concerns regarding the defensive starters on the edge. We’ve heard everything we need to hear regarding seniors Jacoby Jones and Ray Thornton. Depth behind them remains a concern until more help arrives this summer, but these two won’t be a weakness and may prove to be a strength.

The OT vs. Edge stuff is sounding a lot like the common offseason hype in a zero sum matchup.  C. Jones was pretty terrible last year, Karic is a second year guy, Jacoby Jones has been largely ineffective in his two years here, and Thornton is a highly rated guy who was stuck behind first round talent at LSU but hasn't gotten to play much so he's an unknown.  And somehow all of them look great against each other and their positions are going from concerns to strengths.  Sure.

I definitely think Flood and PK are excellent coaches and they'll continue to develop these guys, but I'm not going to buy that we'll be good in pass pro or pass rush at these spots until I see it against other teams.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

The OT vs. Edge stuff is sounding a lot like the common offseason hype in a zero sum matchup.  C. Jones was pretty terrible last year, Karic is a second year guy, Jacoby Jones has been largely ineffective in his two years here, and Thornton is a highly rated guy who was stuck behind first round talent at LSU but hasn't gotten to play much so he's an unknown.  And somehow all of them look great against each other and their positions are going from concerns to strengths.  Sure.

I definitely think Flood and PK are excellent coaches and they'll continue to develop these guys, but I'm not going to buy that we'll be good in pass pro or pass rush at these spots until I see it against other teams.

I generally agree, but I believe Thornton was played out of position at LSU under Pelini and was behind two first-round talents in previous seasons (Key and Chaisson). He seems like the biggest unknown to me, with upside.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I generally agree, but I believe Thornton was played out of position at LSU under Pelini and was behind two first-round talents in previous seasons (Key and Chaisson). He seems like the biggest unknown to me, with upside.

Agree on Thornton.  It also means he's not a reference point to determine if someone like C. Jones is really coming on.  We just don't have any established studs like Cosmi or Ossai to use as a barometer for other players' improvement.

• Hook 'Em 1

The $9.95ers have seemingly been trying to speak the Christian Jones thing into existence since he was signed but this staff does seem committed to giving him every opportunity to win that LT position so some potential is there. If they unlocked it this quickly it says a lot about Flood (and Hand).

which has the downstream effect of putting Andrej Karic at right tackle or potentially guard long-term, and, there isn’t an obvious position begging for Derek Kerstetter’s return.

I love this line a lot more if a healthy Kerstetter is an overqualified 6th guy who you can plug in almost anywhere as needed. A lot less if he has to be a starter out of necessity.

Nahlin's downstream effect about Karic potentially moving to guard "long-term" means the 2022 season I guess? Hard to believe our best line this year wouldn't have him at one of the tackle spots. 

3 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

The $9.95ers have seemingly been trying to speak the Christian Jones thing into existence since he was signed but this staff does seem committed to giving him every opportunity to win that LT position so some potential is there. If they unlocked it this quickly it says a lot about Flood (and Hand).

I love this line a lot more if a healthy Kerstetter is an overqualified 6th guy who you can plug in almost anywhere as needed. A lot less if he has to be a starter out of necessity.

Nahlin's downstream, effect about Karic potentially moving to guard "long-term" means the 2022 season I guess? Hard to believe our best line this year wouldn't have him at one of the tackle spots. 

JMO, but Kerstetter was really good at RT, before getting moved.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Man the bubble fucking suuuuucks

It truly baffles me sometimes how bad we let our facilities get compared to programs with similar resources and programs with fewer resources.  Our facilities should never be outside of the top 10.  Until 2 years ago, our locker rooms looked like they were from the damn 80s.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Your power comes from the ground. If your feet aren't on the ground, you're just another object to be thrown - no matter how much you can lift.

Your center of mass has to be over your base. Your base is your feet. If a line from your center of mass to the ground does not stay between your feet, you're off balance and falling.

Offensive linemen have all sorts of drilled in footwork and hand placements to keep these principles solid at all times. A defensive player can push, tug, grab, shove in any direction at any time. If it happens when you're not in a solid base, you're out of the play and your man is headed to the ball carrier.

Anyone else think that PK doesn't understand the concept of "vanilla defense", and that he's gonna throw his evil genius at the OL in practice every day? I'm pretty sure he and Flood have a "gimmie your best shot!" thing going.

22 minutes ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

Anyone else think that PK doesn't understand the concept of "vanilla defense", and that he's gonna throw his evil genius at the OL in practice every day? I'm pretty sure he and Flood have a "gimmie your best shot!" thing going.

I'm here for it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Agreed.  I liked what I saw from him at RT in 2019 a whole lot more than what we saw from Jones in 2020.   I know Jones is the biggest OT and the light theoretically could turn on for him, but ... we'll see.  

It doesn't sound like it will happen, but it sure seems like we should find a way to get Crawford into one of the starting DB spots, even if it's at safety or nickel.  He has bigtime early round draft pick athleticism, and we're looking at Jerrin Thompson/Schooler at FS, Foster at SS, and Adimora at nickel.  Offseason strength and conditioning gains wishcasting aside, I'm not sure any of those guys really have above average speed and athleticism for safety or nickel.   I don't know how you justify keeping a guy like Crawford on the bench under those circumstances assuming he can pick up the mental part.

A lot of people forget Kerstetter started at RT above Cosmi as a true freshman.  He was thrown into action early and it may have cost his development.  Can only imagine how good of a tackle he would be if he had the chance to redshirt his FR year.  Another thing - last year, a player and coach said Kerstetter was as athletic as Cosmi.  If he gets back to 100%, he's going to be a valuable asset. 

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Man the bubble fucking suuuuucks

Build a new one on Lot 40 with a retractable roof, build a second one on the ruins of the bubble with a retractable roof, connect via kickass pedestrian/golf cart bridge over Red River, keep the outdoor fields as they are. If you have to move the outdoor fields a bit because of I-35 expansion, you still have two retractable roofs, one full outdoor field, and enough of another one for kickers and shit. We need to set the standard and I expect those that have more money than I do to make it happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

Your power comes from the ground. If your feet aren't on the ground, you're just another object to be thrown - no matter how much you can lift.

Your center of mass has to be over your base. Your base is your feet. If a line from your center of mass to the ground does not stay between your feet, you're off balance and falling.

Offensive linemen have all sorts of drilled in footwork and hand placements to keep these principles solid at all times. A defensive player can push, tug, grab, shove in any direction at any time. If it happens when you're not in a solid base, you're out of the play and your man is headed to the ball carrier.

The two hires that will make or break the Sark era.  I'm betting on "make".  Heavily.

38 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

Build a new one on Lot 40 with a retractable roof, build a second one on the ruins of the bubble with a retractable roof, connect via kickass pedestrian/golf cart bridge over Red River, keep the outdoor fields as they are. If you have to move the outdoor fields a bit because of I-35 expansion, you still have two retractable roofs, one full outdoor field, and enough of another one for kickers and shit. We need to set the standard and I expect those that have more money than I do to make it happen.

Why do you need both an outdoor field and a retractable roof indoor facility? Have you seen Austin real estate recently? 

Why do you need both an outdoor field and a retractable roof indoor facility? Have you seen Austin real estate recently? 

Like Texas is going to pour 50 million into coaching contracts (fire Herman, hire Sark) and then not commit to certain facilities because “the price of real estate is real high” when we own the real estate.

Dumb.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

I hope so. That's how both sides get better.

aww fuckit

I'm ... I'm just not good at the whole skepticism thing when I keep hearing the things I know I need to be hearing.

I've been through... this is my 6th Longhorn head football coach, and all the coaches I've seen, all the bosses I've seen, all the orgs I've seen... I just keep hearing the things that I really, really want to hear:

1. Don't hire your friends. Hire the best.
  2. Have a plan for continuous improvement.
  3. Adjust the scheme to fit the personnel.

There are so many other things going right here... it's just... you see it in the player reactions. And yeah, maybe we don't win a national title early 2022, but maybe we do, you know what I'm sayin'?

Awww fuck I'm back on the sunshine fucking bandwagon all over again. God help me!

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

aww fuckit

I'm ... I'm just not good at the whole skepticism thing when I keep hearing the things I know I need to be hearing.

I've been through... this is my 6th Longhorn head football coach, and all the coaches I've seen, all the bosses I've seen, all the orgs I've seen... I just keep hearing the things that I really, really want to hear:

There are so many other things going right here... it's just... you see it in the player reactions. And yeah, maybe we don't win a national title early 2022, but maybe we do, you know what I'm sayin'?

Awww fuck I'm back on the sunshine fucking bandwagon all over again. God help me!

Only one national title by early 2022? Somebody needs a refill.

giphy-downsized-medium.gif.6f5608fe2b109d4fd39e107631f420de.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

aww fuckit

8BBAD6A6-A58F-443E-9333-42492621F6BD.gif

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Royale with cheese said:

Eight for me. I came to The 40 in '63 when we won it all. I thought it was going to be like that all the time. Then, some several years later, we got Charlie and I thought we'd never win another game, let alone another championship. Even with damn near 60 years of perspective to dampen my spirits, I'm thinking things are on the upswing. Let's beat those ou fuckers and see where we can go from there. (Pass the Kool Aid, will ya? I'm dry as a bone.)

damn you are one old motherfucker

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Rimbo said:

aww fuckit

kermit.gif.2a740330158d38f01c29c54e3579d745.gif

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, victory88 said:

It truly baffles me sometimes how bad we let our facilities get compared to programs with similar resources and programs with fewer resources.  Our facilities should never be outside of the top 10.  Until 2 years ago, our locker rooms looked like they were from the damn 80s.

I don’t get how a bubble can suck?  It’s a bubble, it’s meant to cover a field so they can practice inside when it rains....   Pretty sure that what theirs does, does it not have enough hdmi ports or what?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3