2021 Texas spring football thread

Machinator

Spoiler
Eric Nahlin
Inside Texas
For your enjoyment, we’ve prepared for you notes stemming from the penultimate spring practice held Tuesday. We’ve mixed in some previous nuggets we’ve picked up as well.
— The defense had the better day as it typically does and won the two-minute drill work yet again. The defense has come out of the gates a bit slow in practice before dialing things up. That might be something to watch for in the spring game on Saturday.
— Luke Brockermeyer had a pick six. In the last 7-10 days, I believe that’s his fifth forced turnover in team play. He’s also one of the faster linebackers so he’s not just getting by on tired cliches. This pick came on a screen he read with Hudson Card at quarterback. Brockermeyer is playing through a banged up wrist.
— We asked about Jacoby Jones, just to go a little more in depth. We heard he’s a pretty average athlete or maybe slightly above, from an explosiveness standpoint, but he’s coordinated with good feet and continues to work against the offensive line. All too often in the past Texas fans have seen players accept being blocked. That’s not Jones. He pairs decent hands with a few pass rush moves. Solid repertoire of moves with a hint of power. Not a spectacular player but does a lot of little things well. ”The whole is greater than the sum of the parts” might apply here.
— The pros at the Saturday scrimmage noticed Ray Thornton. “Good athlete, physical, and technical. Practices hard. He’s going to have a big year.” Apparently there have been some big-time collisions between Thornton and pulling guards.
— There’s a well-known Texas-ex NFLer who thinks Brenden Schooler is the best safety on the roster. Schooler continues to turn heads and people are surprised at how quickly he transitioned back to safety. “He’s fast, doesn’t get tired, shows range, not afraid to hit — he brought it to Bijan a few times.”
— Tyler Owens is coming along. UT fans have been waiting to hear that. “If either of the second team safeties had to start, it wouldn’t be a problem.” We hear he’s working hard, also isn’t afraid to hit, and of course he’s fast. He’ll mess up but he’s going full speed (which means he can get out of a position in a hurry but you get what we mean).
— What about BJ Foster? He’s had a quiet spring. “He had a violent pass break up today and saved a touchdown. Got there right when the ball did and blew it up. There’s nothing wrong with him.”
— On offense Casey Thompson got the nod with the 1s. The coaches are mindful to be fair and make sure each guy gets an even chance to go with the 1s versus 2s. It’s much tougher quarterbacking the 2nd team offense against the 1st team defense. As mentioned, Card through a pick on a screen, and Thompson should have been picked by a dropping linebacker. Apparently the defender was hit by a teammate right as he was securing the ball.
— Joshua Moore and Kelvontay Dixon have been making a few more contested catches of late. Dixon seems more dangerous after the catch. He has intent to break a tackle or make someone miss. Moore and Dixon have been on the field together quite a bit — it hasn’t been just one or the other. It was also said Marcus Washington is becoming more consistent in practice. Maybe some positive hints at receiver. The depth we’ve discussed a lot at defensive back is what needs to be created in the wide receiver room.
— Source made a special mention of walk-on receiver Travis West. “He makes a lot of catches with the 2s. Sort of the go-to guy on 2nd team. They knock the crap out of him but he just keeps coming.” Last year there were plenty in Moncrief who were surprised Kai Money was getting reps over West.
— Asked about tight ends. “Not targeted a ton. Wiley’s the best receiver and can make somebody miss, even at his size. Maybe not as physical initially off the ball as Brewer, but sticks with his block and uses length to his advantage.” There’s a lot more in the playbook as far as tight ends being used as receivers. The offense is still nailing down the basics.
— It appears there’s really only one unsettled position on the o-line, or at least that’s the case based on practice reps. Tope Imade split snaps with Andrej Karic again. If there’s one aspect across the board the o-line could take another step, it’s drive blocking, and Imade might offer some upside there. Does he have the foot quickness for pass pro? That’s the question. Word is the way Flood teaches pass pro helps the big guys out

Nahlin practice report

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Outside of the other comments on your post here, do you want to explain how the fuck the price of real estate matters in this equation if the University already owns the fucking real estate? Are you saying we're going to be priced out because of the cost of labor? By all means, help me understand.

Just because you own the land and a full bank account doesn't mean you're getting sufficient return from investment on 3 practice fields. Has there been any deficiencies reported other than the need for a new bubble? My point is that unless there's a dire need, you could probably make more money adding additional on-campus parking or another use. 

12 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Just because you own the land and a full bank account doesn't mean you're getting sufficient return from investment on 3 practice fields. Has there been any deficiencies reported other than the need for a new bubble? My point is that unless there's a dire need, you could probably make more money adding additional on-campus parking or another use. 

That isn't really how you framed your original post nor the point you seemed to be trying to make. The initial point was that somehow the current cost of Austin Real Estate would prevent us from expanding practice facilities. Which certainly seems to imply that the cost of real estate itself is the issue. Either way, the cost of Austin Real Estate doesn't really have anything to do with maximizing ROI. You mentioned nothing about making more money in your post, or even best application of resources. And by the way, parking is hardly going to be a massive boon to revenue. 

Do I think we need 3 practice fields? Personally, fuck no. Do I think we cant do it because of Austin Real Estate? Even more firmly, no. Is there any, any chance at all that when you made your comment you didn't think or take into consideration that UT just didn't OWN the land outright already and would have to acquire more, and now maybe you're just trying to back out of it? Not even a little bit?

WTF.

Texas: let’s spend 50m on coaches
Coaches: can we have a place to practice?
Texas: no. Too expensive.

I mean dude. Just stop.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That isn't really how you framed your original post nor the point you seemed to be trying to make. The initial point was that somehow the current cost of Austin Real Estate would prevent us from expanding practice facilities. Which certainly seems to imply that the cost of real estate itself is the issue. Either way, the cost of Austin Real Estate doesn't really have anything to do with maximizing ROI. You mentioned nothing about making more money in your post, or even best application of resources. And by the way, parking is hardly going to be a massive boon to revenue. 

Do I think we need 3 practice fields? Personally, fuck no. Do I think we cant do it because of Austin Real Estate? Even more firmly, no. Is there any, any chance at all that when you made your comment you didn't think or take into consideration that UT just didn't OWN the land outright already and would have to acquire more, and now maybe you're just trying to back out of it? Not even a little bit?

You typed a whole lot to agree that we don't need 3 practice fields. Regardless if we own the real estate or not, building an unnecessary facility on space that could be used for something else means that if something else did need to get built, they would have to shell out money for more land. For example, what if our track team stopped wanting to hear how aggy has the best indoor track facilities in the state capable of hosting US or even world championships? This isn't complicated, but you're just being an asshole.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Eggo said:

You typed a whole lot to agree that we don't need 3 practice fields. Regardless if we own the real estate or not, building an unnecessary facility on space that could be used for something else means that if something else did need to get built, they would have to shell out money for more land. For example, what if our track team stopped wanting to hear how aggy has the best indoor track facilities in the state capable of hosting US or even world championships? This isn't complicated, but you're just being an asshole.

You typed a lot of words to indicate you really didn't get MY fucking point. But yeah, I don't really see a reason to continue this conversation. Yes, I'm an asshole, but you're the one who made either a poorly informed or horrendously worded post talking about cost of real estate being an impediment to more practice facilities, and you refuse to own it. So either you're an idiot, or hey buddy, allow me to be the first person to welcome you to the asshole club! 

Edited by SydneyCarton

Just now, Domedriver said:

We need this elevated 3D chess-like set of practice bubbles that look like mushrooms sprouting out of UT.  The big one clear so you can see everything from I35 and all connected by climbing walls for RecSports!  And they could glow burnt orange at night!

Keep Going Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

7 hours ago, Red Five said:

I could go either way on the Texas part. Get the rest of the clutter off and move the numbers off the shoulders. And for god's sake darken the longhorn logo on the helmet. 

You mean make it burnt orange? That would get the jw seal of approval.

5 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Sure. And he’s right. I was just riffing on the idea that VY was so amazing he created his own scheme unto

himself. 

So you’re saying LB’s and S’s standing lead footed while staring into the backfield in fear of a VY keep read instead of taking their drops  may have simplified things for our offense?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Eggo said:

10 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

You typed a lot of words to indicate you really didn't get MY fucking point. But yeah, I don't really see a reason to continue this conversation. Yes, I'm an asshole, but you're the one who made either a poorly informed or horrendously worded post talking about cost of real estate being an impediment to more practice facilities, and you refuse to own it. So either you're an idiot, or hey buddy, allow me to be the first person to welcome you to the asshole club! 

shut the fuck up and kiss each other already

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Eggo said:

You must not be aware that Texas has "fuck you" money. The amount of capital using that facility as something else is a pittance compared to what the football program generates. There are orders of magnitude between these figures.