2021 Texas spring football thread

Machinator

24 minutes ago, gurt said:

Does anyone know if there is a way to watch online? I looked on texassports.com and didn’t see anything, and I don’t have LHN

I have a SlingTV account that has an app.  You can can cancel anytime. 

I don't think there's a good answer 

• Like 1

I like the clip they ended on.
Havent watched yet, does he actually hang on to the ball in Lubbuttock this time?

I kid, but for real I'll never forget how close we were to going to and likely winning another BCS championship that year

Wescott just tried to spread a rumor that Broughton was no longer with the program because he missed his name on the Spring Game roster. Tweet deleted before it gained much traction, but he has too big of a platform to make mistakes like that.

Wescott is a complete dipshit so not surprising

3 hours ago, Fud said:

He started at safety for Oregon as a true freshman and led the team in interceptions, and was regarded as a quality player. Then Oregon had depth issues at WR in the spring so he switched to WR and never switched back 

I know that is why he got switched to WR originally, I'm just saying that the prior staff was fucking stupid for not figuring this out.

i HATE the concept of keeping eyes on the QB while trying to relate to routes and changing coverages based on route combinations. I think that philosophy is what leads to busted coverage more often than not. IMHO, the DBs should check QB at snap, if his hands are up, go to your reads, but if his hands are down,  keep eyes in the backfield to determine if its run or PA. Its almost impossible to relate to routes and change responsibilities while looking in the backfield the whole time...
Not if they have their depth correct.

Essentially, they're being taught to play what's in front of them and trust what they recognize (which is a little bit different than 'see'.)

I've always felt (and taught to my sons) that outta easier to play at depth and come up than it is to chase. Football, baseball, basketball, soccer, tennis... The correct depth gives you the correct amount of time to recognize/diagnose/react.

I dislike relying on athleticism to try to recover after the fact.

Essentially, this is the way to bend/not break without putting everyone in position to be broken.

It could be all wrong, but I trust it.
  • Hook 'Em 2

i hope so. but we did that same shit last year and it led to uncovered receivers running through zones constantly because everyone had their eyes in the backfield instead of going through their reads.
We didnt have good anything on defense last year.

2 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Schooler looks like a man with good speed and the ability to wrap up and tackle.  I won't miss Caden Sterns' shoulder tackle whiffs and falling at the runners feet.    

He sure does get juked by Bijan a lot.  Bijan should spot him a new pack of jocks. 

17 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I think it’s pretty obvious which QB has more upside. It makes you wonder why Thompson got so much work with the first team offense. 

Mr. Newy25, meet the Transfer Portal. Transfer Portal, this is Newy25. If y'all get your heads together I'll bet you can figure out why Thompson's getting the run he's getting. For now, anyway. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

I think it’s pretty obvious which QB has more upside. It makes you wonder why Thompson got so much work with the first team offense. 

51 minutes ago, Royale with cheese said:

Mr. Newy25, meet the Transfer Portal. Transfer Portal, this is Newy25. If y'all get your heads together I'll bet you can figure out why Thompson's getting the run he's getting. For now, anyway. 

Seriously. It’s pretty obvious. A depth chart of Thompson+Card>>>>>>>>>>>Card+Wright.  

Why would Sark give Card a ton of reps with the first team in the team’s only fully public practice? 

• Hook 'Em 1

They both looked about the same.  I saw Casey make some really good throws and then some bad ones.  Same with Card. Hard to judge because they were both playing with and against different offenses and defenses.  I think Sark is aware of Casey potentially transferring but I really don’t think he’s going to start him if Card is the better option.  It sends the wrong message to the team and he’s trying to win now.  You don’t choose the worse option at the most important position when you’re trying to win.

Either way, I’m really happy we have two talented guys that have been in the program competing.  

• Hook 'Em 1

People put way too much stock in the spring game as a single data point. Casey was one bad int to Jamison and a dropped td pass by Moore from everybody on this thread drooling all over him. They can win with either of them and they are almost assuredly going to need both of them. Granted, Sark isn't going to use the qb like a battering ram like Herman did, but even Alabama with their endless supply of five star linemen has had to win with their backup qb a lot. 

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, texifornia said:

Well, Wiley needs to learn how to at least block a guy like Prince Dorbah before he can get consistent run.

Everyone loses reps from time to time. I saw him make more than a few good blocks that sprung Bijan runs. One specifally where he was lined up on the right, chipped the end just enough, ran out to the LB and drove him out of bounds. He needs to be utilized in the pass game more imo 

2 hours ago, victory88 said:

They both looked about the same.  I saw Casey make some really good throws and then some bad ones.  Same with Card. Hard to judge because they were both playing with and against different offenses and defenses.  I think Sark is aware of Casey potentially transferring but I really don’t think he’s going to start him if Card is the better option.  It sends the wrong message to the team and he’s trying to win now.  You don’t choose the worse option at the most important position when you’re trying to win.

Either way, I’m really happy we have two talented guys that have been in the program competing.  

This, if people think one is way ahead of the other I’m not sure what you were watching, neither made a huge separation of themselves yesterday.    Its going to be a close battle and I don’t think he will truly make a decision until late into fall practice. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 months later...

On 4/18/2021 at 6:09 PM, Newy25 said:

I think people are not realizing how much returning talent we actually have on the offensive line. When deployed properly we have already seen how effective it can be at the end of the season. 

On 4/18/2021 at 6:41 PM, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Because we won’t be playing Colorado every fucking game? Jesus Christ, our best returning lineman was last seen screaming in pain after his leg was snapped in half. Denzel Okafor, god bless him, has never been even average in 6 years. Christian Jones could barely block air last year. 

Tons of Trust the Marine in this thread.

On 4/18/2021 at 11:41 PM, Newy25 said:

That’s a good way to announce to the board that you have no idea what you are talking about. 

I’m not positive but I feel like concern about the offensive line may have been warranted in retrospect. Maybe I just don’t realize how much returning talent we actually have.