2021 Texas spring football thread

Machinator

I don't know if this is true in the short-run. We don't have the talent of tOSU and Alabama on the OL. We have more talent than we have shown, but it still isn't at the level it needs to be. So, even if we are better in 2021, I wouldn't get our hopes up to the extent of being excited to watch our OL play this year. 
We have better o-line talent than anyone in the Big12 not named blowU, just need someone to utilize the pieces correctly. Seems Flood is that guy, guess we'll see in September.

What part are you saying isn’t true? Burton didn’t say anything about having an OL like Bama or tOSU.  He just said we may now have an OL coach who can identify the best 5 and he thinks our OL will be better than last year, which isn’t really going out on a limb. 
Our talent on the OL isn’t bad right now. It’s actually future years where we could run into some trouble. We have 6 guys who are third year or older that should be ready to contribute (this doesn’t include Ghirmai or Imade) and we also have Majors and Karic who both look ready to start. So that gives us a solid 8 man depth chart plus two four star 2nd years in Parr and Garth who could be ready to contribute. I’d like to see us add a GT to have one less unknown starter going into the fall, but the pieces are there to have a solid OL if Flood can coach them up. 

Future years arent quite as scary with the portal now, we could pick up a couple 4*'s Bama or fuckeye have been stockpiling. If it werent for that, then yeah..Hand and Hermie kinda fucked us otherwise.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Maybe I'm a little less pessimistic about the O-line because I was only a few years into being a fan when we had 6 scholarship o-linemen for an entire year. 

We had 4-5 years where we had no viable starter at right tackle.

Prior to Connor Williams getting drafted we went a decade without an offensive lineman getting drafted.

the last first round draft pick on offensive line was Mike Williams, nearly 20 years ago.
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

We had 4-5 years where we had no viable starter at right tackle.

Prior to Connor Williams getting drafted we went a decade without an offensive lineman getting drafted.

the last first round draft pick on offensive line was Mike Williams, nearly 20 years ago.

If I recall this correctly from Longhorn Blitz, we have had 41 straight 4 and 5 star OL go undrafted. If that doesn't underline the futility of our coaching over the last decade, I don't know what does.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 5

32 minutes ago, jinx said:

If I recall this correctly from Longhorn Blitz, we have had 41 straight 4 and 5 star OL go undrafted. If that doesn't underline the futility of our coaching over the last decade, I don't know what does.

Is that everyone since Tony Hills Jr? 

IT team notes

Spoiler

Meetings and a workout were held on Monday, but no practice or modified practice. In those meetings, the players watched footage from the Saturday team activity.

Practice will be held again on Wednesday with the return of the contact traced players. Two position groups, defensive line and running back, were the most affected.

The most interesting position battles right now are at left and right tackle, with four players taking reps at both sides.

Here are a source’s take on each:

Christian Jones: “Big and strong but needs to become more technical. Pretty good athlete. Has a chance to be good with improvement over the next few weeks and months.”

Andrej Karic: “He’s probably the best guy right now because he is technically sound.” Another source has mentioned the coaches believing his best position to be guard due to lack of length but they need other guys to improve. If Karic ends up at guard that’s probably a very good sign for overall o-line prospects for the season.

Isaiah Hookfin: “He’s a good athlete with the ability to recover after being beat. That’s what makes him a little different. Quick and bends well. Has a real chance to earn a starting spot.”

Tyler Johnson: “He’s probably a guard but these reps are good for his overall development and depth at tackle.”

We’ve been mentioning UT has more depth and talent than given credit for on the o-line. It’s conceivable all four of these guys could start, if not at tackle, then guard.

In talking to our program sources, they seem intent on making Christian Jones work at left tackle. Then it’s up to Hookfin to continue developing and this o-line could really take off.

I believe the practice last Saturday counted towards the allotted amount of practice sessions. That would make Wednesday‘s practice the third and final “acclimation” practice before they’re allowed to go in pads.

Spring is off to a slow start but things will pick up soon.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, jinx said:

To be accurate, 8 of those 41 are still on the roster.  Jeff Howe shouldn't need to inflate numbers to make our OL development look bad

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

When Herman was hired we knew we were getting a very good coordinator who could win games. His bowl record at Texas proves it. However, the massive red flag was his philosophy of running the team like a navy seal camp. I bitched and moaned about that at the time, and took a few negs on it, but was convinced that approach wasn’t going to fly.  

Fast forward to Sark. Having coached under Pete Carroll, he watched Carroll evolve his coaching philosophy of how to treat players more professionally with a more positive supportive environment. That approach led in part to the Seattle Super Bowl win.  

The ironic part about this is that with the bowl games and the end of '20, when the season was already decided, Herman essentially adopted something closer to the Sark model: friendlier attitude, positive environment, less pressure, less need to squeeze all of the practices in, more rest. The results were pretty astounding with how well the team played and the positive energy they exuded. 

Could this have happened without the navy-seal approach first to toughen them up and have the ability to let off? Probably not. Charlie showed that.

But still goes to show the energy/emotions that the coach carries through the season filters down to the players and how they perform. 

5 hours ago, Red Five said:

Is that everyone since Tony Hills Jr? 

5 hours ago, kevwun said:

He may not count since technically he was a TE recruit.

5 hours ago, Red Five said:

Ah, so Justin Blalock then. 

guy slowly putting gun to head gif.

4 hours ago, GW Hayduke said:

To be accurate, 8 of those 41 are still on the roster.  Jeff Howe shouldn't need to inflate numbers to make our OL development look bad

All of this is correct, and Jeff did mention that 8 were still on the roster. So maybe we luck up and have one of those 8 guys that should make the NFL actually make the NFL. Of course Connor Williams and Sam Cosmi don't count, since both were 3 stars.

I couldn't remember the details, because I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday, but reading your comments brought the details back.

2 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

Herman’s fake drill sergeant, Urban wannabe act didn’t fly because he was a fraud.

I can’t promise Sark will succeed, but it does seem he’s comfortable in his own skin. Having spent time at the side of some very successful... and diverse in approach... coaches (Carroll and Saban) has presumably given him the opportunity to take some from Column A, some from Column B, work in his own experiences, and give it a go. The assembly of his staff gives me confidence he knows what he’s doing. Plus, that established coaches (Flood and Banks) who could have stayed at the #1 college football program instead decided to hitch their wagon to his, tells me so much about how Sark is viewed in the profession. Same for Kwiatkowski and Choate. 

The PK and Choate developments were both very gruntling. Jeff Banks coming was also a solid indicator.

We just need to get off to a fast start so this team can buy in even further and let loose.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Atticus said:

The PK and Choate developments were both very gruntling. Jeff Banks coming was also a solid indicator.

We just need to get off to a fast start so this team can buy in even further and let loose.

If we win game 1, that should give us a huge confidence booster for a win over a top 25 team out of the gates. I am expecting PK to shut down that air raid and let the athletes do the rest. He owned Leach in the apple cup. 

18 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

If we win game 1, that should give us a huge confidence booster for a win over a top 25 team out of the gates. I am expecting PK to shut down that air raid and let the athletes do the rest. He owned Leach in the apple cup. 

Think ULaLa is more of a running team.

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

FCB saying something about more positive covid tests in the football program.

Spoiler

The Texas football team, whose spring practices have been paused since last week, had "a small number" of players test positive for COVID-19 following player tests conducted Monday, two sources close to the situation told Horns247.

"It was more than one player, but it was a small number of positive tests," one source told Horns247.

Going into this week, Texas' plan was to resume spring practices on Thursday, sources said. One source told Horns247 on Tuesday there hasn't been any update regarding the plan to restart spring practice on Thursday.

The first spring practices under new coach Steve Sarkisian were paused last Wednesday (March 24) after several players came back from spring break and tested positive for COVID-19 - just one practice into spring football. Sources told Horns247 the position groups affected have included the defensive line, running back, receiver and the secondary.

Despite spring football being paused, the team continues to conduct walkthroughs, sources said. Sources said the team did a walkthrough on Friday, Sunday and again on Tuesday.

"Walkthroughs are done without a football, which keeps it from counting as a practice," a source close to the situation told Horns247. 

During the walkthroughs, players are wearing a mask and avoiding contact, the source said.

When the team runs seven-on-seven in a walkthrough, the quarterbacks simulate a pass to the intended receiver, with the defense reacting to the simulated pass, the source said.

As of now, Texas would still have plenty of time to complete its 15 spring practices and wouldn't need any kind of waiver from the NCAA for an extension, a key source told Horns247.

• Hook 'Em 1

Spoiler

The Texas football team, whose spring practices have been paused since last week, had "a small number" of players test positive for COVID-19 following player tests conducted Monday, two sources close to the situation told Horns247.
"It was more than one player, but it was a small number of positive tests," one source told Horns247.
Going into this week, Texas' plan was to resume spring practices on Thursday, sources said. One source told Horns247 on Tuesday there hasn't been any update regarding the plan to restart spring practice on Thursday.
The first spring practices under new coach Steve Sarkisian were paused last Wednesday (March 24) after several players came back from spring break and tested positive for COVID-19 - just one practice into spring football. Sources told Horns247 the position groups affected have included the defensive line, running back, receiver and the secondary.
Despite spring football being paused, the team continues to conduct walkthroughs, sources said. Sources said the team did a walkthrough on Friday, Sunday and again on Tuesday.
"Walkthroughs are done without a football, which keeps it from counting as a practice," a source close to the situation told Horns247. 
During the walkthroughs, players are wearing a mask and avoiding contact, the source said.
When the team runs seven-on-seven in a walkthrough, the quarterbacks simulate a pass to the intended receiver, with the defense reacting to the simulated pass, the source said.
As of now, Texas would still have plenty of time to complete its 15 spring practices and wouldn't need any kind of waiver from the NCAA for an extension, a key source told Horns247.

I hope the players had fun in Miami during spring break

aac4b197140e5d2dbfb5c9ca07299780.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

So are we going to suck again or not, galdammit I'm about to lose my mind.

Please forgive me Shooter, but if memory serves correctly, you’re the poster who can’t afford to lose any more body parts, right? 

We’re not expecting lightning storms today in Texas, are we?

*I asked Shooter to forgive me!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

FCB - practice resumes tomorrow.

Spoiler

— Despite "a small number" of players testing positive for COVID-19 this week, Texas' spring football practices are expected to resume on Thursday, two sources told Horns247.

Texas got in one spring football practice on March 23 and then had to pause spring football after several players tested positive for COVID-19 after returning from spring break.

While spring football has been paused, the team has still been conducting walkthroughs with players wearing masks and avoiding contact, sources told Horns247. The walkthroughs - conducted last Friday, Sunday and on Tuesday - are done without a ball, so it is not considered a practice, sources said. When the team conducts seven-on-seven in a walkthrough, the quarterback simulates a throw to a receiver, and the defense reacts to it, according to sources.

Sources said Texas still has plenty of time to complete its remaining 14 spring practices, which include the Orange-White game currently scheduled for April 24, and doesn't need to seek any kind of waiver from the NCAA for an extension.

• Hook 'Em 2