2021 Texas spring football thread

Machinator

9 minutes ago, Zeus said:

holy shit a couple of broken doors? what a child.

Go walk down the halls at towers at any given night lol

I mean if he's doing it to his girlfriend's apartment it's a pretty fucking shitty thing to do, with the caveat that we all have incomplete information.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Until we actually see Christian Jones be not completely terrible in a game, I’m going to disregard all the offseason comments about how good he looks and consider the zero sum reports about him and our edge defenders having “spirited battles” as a bad sign for our pass rush. 

I'm sure our edge guys are great, it's not like our coaches have been taking every edge grad transfer with a pulse or anything.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Yesh said:

Who are the best 11 players on defense regardless of position?  And, can you make a complete defense with them or do you have to go lower down the list due to positional need?

Jamison

Collins

Sweat

Adimora

Coburn

Thornton

Overshown

Cook

Coburn

Jerrin Thompson

Jones

Josh Thompson

Maybe Ben Davis and Oghoufo can cmon with it and we will have a badass pash rush that can cover up for the question marks at MLB

Edited by Zeus

FCB on Mitchell

Spoiler

— Hearing rumblings Texas could be without linebacker Juwan Mitchell for the spring - or possibly longer.

According to a source, Mitchell, a junior from Newark, N.J., told teammates Wednesday morning he was leaving the team. Mitchell has been struggling academically, according to the source, who added it's unclear if Mitchell is being forced to take time away from the team or if this is Mitchell's decision.

Either way, it wouldn't be good news, considering Mitchell was the Longhorns' leading tackler in 2020 (62 tackles, 4.5 tackles for loss, one fumble recovery), and Texas' depth at linebacker is already thin.

Mitchell entered the transfer portal under Tom Herman but reconsidered and returned to the team.

I've reached out to other sources for confirmation about Mitchell's status and will let you know as soon as I hear more. Texas held its first spring practice under new coach Steve Sarkisian on Tuesday but is off today.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I mean if he's doing it to his girlfriend's apartment it's a pretty fucking shitty thing to do, with the caveat that we all have incomplete information.

Shit happens, especially when everyone's drinking. Couple of broken doors aint shit, posting it on twitter and making a big sob story about it is pretty fucking weak. I agree for Josh to not man up and just fix the doors and walls or pay someone to do it is also pretty fucking weak though. They both probably need to grow the fuck up and get off twatter.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

FCB on Mitchell

Hide contents

— Hearing rumblings Texas could be without linebacker Juwan Mitchell for the spring - or possibly longer.

According to a source, Mitchell, a junior from Newark, N.J., told teammates Wednesday morning he was leaving the team. Mitchell has been struggling academically, according to the source, who added it's unclear if Mitchell is being forced to take time away from the team or if this is Mitchell's decision.

Either way, it wouldn't be good news, considering Mitchell was the Longhorns' leading tackler in 2020 (62 tackles, 4.5 tackles for loss, one fumble recovery), and Texas' depth at linebacker is already thin.

Mitchell entered the transfer portal under Tom Herman but reconsidered and returned to the team.

I've reached out to other sources for confirmation about Mitchell's status and will let you know as soon as I hear more. Texas held its first spring practice under new coach Steve Sarkisian on Tuesday but is off today.

Didn't some banned poster here mention this lol?

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

FCB on Mitchell

Reveal hidden contents

Addition by subtraction

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

FCB on Mitchell

Reveal hidden contents

Good riddance. He was slow and sucked when Orlando decided to offer him, and he’s added being a complete and total head case to that since he got here.

Our last staff decided to force out Caleb Johnson because he was injured and started Mitchell.   Fuck you Todd Orlando and Tom Herman! 

Edited by Burt Macklin

On 3/22/2021 at 11:18 AM, Red Five said:

This will be a good opportunity for Juwan to enter the portal/ get suspended/ flunk out a few times by the end of spring ball. It's all about building that muscle memory. 

It was a joke, Juwan. Good lord. 

• Haha 6

Juwan Mitchell has been terrible.  On top of that, the dude is too much drama to deal with.  Let him transfer to USC with the other players that couldn't cut it here and be another coaches problem.

This is what happens when kids with bad family support make their own decisions.  Juwan has an opportunity to play and start at a big name school, with some accomplished coaches, where he can get a degree from a reputable academic school that will open doors for him hopefully.  Instead, he's probably going to flunk out or get kicked off the team and will regret not maximizing this opportunity in the future.  

• Hook 'Em 2

44 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Good riddance. He was slow and sucked when Orlando decided to offer him, and he’s added being a complete and total head case to that since he got here.

Our last staff decided to force out Caleb Johnson because he was injured and started Mitchell.   Fuck you Todd Orlando and Tom Herman! 

I know I never minded when malcontents left teams I played on, regardless of how good they were.

Players who put "me" above "TEAM" are bad for the program. Any program. I hope Mitchell finds peace somewhere else. 

• Hook 'Em 1

TFB practice notes

Spoiler

***As you know, Texas held their first spring practice, yesterday.

***A few things I heard that I found interesting. First, in terms of the depth chart, while the coaches may have a rough idea, I’m told that they rotate the players in various groups of one through four.

***The idea here is that the players are evaluated and they are seen within a similar context to one another. In other words, having your 2s rotate in at 1s gives you a look at what those players will do against the other side’s 1s.

***It also gives the players a sense that this new staff is actually evaluating them and not just playing favorites. Rightly or wrongly, that was a big perception issue with the previous staff.

***I’m told the practice rotations are intense. For example, during team period they have multiple plays going on so in the group there is little downtime. If they aren’t repping players on one field, those players are in another area repping.

***There is constant work and the reps are spread out pretty equally.

***Bottom line is this is an intense evaluation period for the staff. They want to know exactly what they have unvarnished by the past.

***Also, heard that, unlike coach Herman who would walk around quite a bit, coach Sark was a fixture behind the quarterbacks coaching them up.

***I imagine that may change but he likely knows, just like most teams, his team is going to go the way of his quarterback.

***Didn’t get a sense that there was really much difference in performance between Casey and Hudson. Was told both made their fair share of nice throws and forced throws.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Hide contents

***Also, heard that, unlike coach Herman who would walk around quite a bit, coach Sark was a fixture behind the quarterbacks coaching them up.

***I imagine that may change but he likely knows, just like most teams, his team is going to go the way of his quarterback.

Or maybe Sark just isn't a fucking douchebag control freak like Herman and actually trusts the coaches he hired to do their jobs without having to micromanage? 

• Hook 'Em 6

53 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Juwan Mitchell has been terrible.  On top of that, the dude is too much drama to deal with.  Let him transfer to USC with the other players that couldn't cut it here and be another coaches problem.

This is what happens when kids with bad family support make their own decisions.  Juwan has an opportunity to play and start at a big name school, with some accomplished coaches, where he can get a degree from a reputable academic school that will open doors for him hopefully.  Instead, he's probably going to flunk out or get kicked off the team and will regret not maximizing this opportunity in the future.  

Y'all have a pretty fucked definition of "terrible" considering Mitchell led the team in tackles last year.

The "Black player has poor family support/bad influences" dogwhistle really makes this opinion a dumpster fire. Bravo sir.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 16

2 minutes ago, Dijon Robinson said:

The "Black player has poor family support/bad influences" dogwhistle really makes this opinion a dumpster fire. Bravo sir.

Stop with this bullshit. Take it to another board.

Regardless of what Mitchell has bitched about, he is a team cancer.

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Dijon Robinson said:

Y'all have a pretty fucked definition of "terrible" considering Mitchell led the team in tackles last year.

He was complete dogshit at dropping into coverage.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m so surprised a issue like this came from Josh Moore........    Not at all, if you follow his insta you can see issues are going to be happening with him.  Sadly this probably won’t be the last issue with him.

Edited by Hook1997

1 hour ago, Dijon Robinson said:

lol...  leading the team in tackles doesn't correlate to being the team's best player.  I watched him enough to see that he was okay in run support and completely lost in coverage.  And when I say he's been terrible, it's as a player for this program, not just on the field.  He's been in and out of the portal 2-3 times already.  If you don't want to be here, don't come play here.  

Who mentioned anything about his race other than you?  You can have shitty family support and not be black, I'm not black or white, but I've had shitty family support at points in my life.  Regardless, he was a juco guy that never got recruited by big time programs, was given an opportunity that most kids do not get, and he seems hellbent on fucking that up.  I'd rather roll the dice with Jaylen Ford at MLB or one of the other younger guys. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

lol...  leading the team in tackles doesn't correlate to being the team's best player.  I watched him enough to see that he was okay in run support and completely lost in coverage.  And when I say he's been terrible, it's as a player for this program, not just on the field.  He's been in and out of the portal 2-3 times already.  If you don't want to be here, don't come play here.  

Who mentioned anything about his race other than you?  You can have shitty family support and not be black, I'm not black or white, but I've had shitty family support at points in my life.  Regardless, he was a juco guy that never got recruited by big time programs, was given an opportunity that most kids do not get, and he seems hellbent on fucking that up.  I'd rather roll the dice with Jaylen Ford at MLB or one of the other younger guys. 

I think the main issue here is there is plenty to criticize on Mitchell. Family support and background shouldn't be one of them. 

4 hours ago, Zeus said:

Shit happens, especially when everyone's drinking. Couple of broken doors aint shit, posting it on twitter and making a big sob story about it is pretty fucking weak. I agree for Josh to not man up and just fix the doors and walls or pay someone to do it is also pretty fucking weak though. They both probably need to grow the fuck up and get off twatter.

If this is the shit that happens when you've been drinking, you need to stop drinking.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

You need to get something off your chest, here?

Did you go to Texas? Have you ever been around West Campus at 3 AM? Shit gets destroyed when young people get wasted. 

I didn't live at Towers but I walked down the halls a few times late and every single ceiling tile would be punched out lol.

The elevators at my apartment were broken every weekend because drunk people breaking shit.

I'm not saying it's all right or anything, but posting all over social media about a couple holes punched through doors like it's the end of the world is pretty weak. How is that the reason she's getting evicted? How does posting it on social media do anything? It's revenge.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Not surprised. Graduated 2010 and it was under new management every single year because it was a total shit show of freshman frat stars.

Yeah. And that's why it doesn't exist anymore. It has nothing to do with being a wildly valuable piece of property that got flipped and redeveloped. Lets definitely connect those two things. 

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah. And that's why it doesn't exist anymore. It has nothing to do with being a wildly valuable piece of property that got flipped and redeveloped. Lets definitely connect those two things. 

I agree. But it didn't get flipped and redeveloped, I believe it got demolished and completely replaced. 

Also it was somewhat connected, because they couldn't ever just fix up Towers and raise the prices, because it was a giant party clusterfuck. 

Yes that is what happened lol

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/people-gather-to-watch-demolition-of-university-towers-student-housing/

The ABJ reported that University Towers could not be salvaged as modifying the walls would compromise the structural integrity of the buildings.

12 minutes ago, Zeus said:

I agree. But it didn't get flipped and redeveloped, I believe it got demolished and completely replaced. 

Also it was somewhat connected, because they couldn't ever just fix up Towers and raise the prices, because it was a giant party clusterfuck. 

Yes that is what happened lol

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/people-gather-to-watch-demolition-of-university-towers-student-housing/

Sorry, I suppose “flipped” was a bad choice of words. Sold and redeveloped. So let’s try this again. 

You’re suggesting that poor property management and partying is what compromised the structural integrity of the building? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Place was a shithole in the mid-90’s, I cannot imagine the state it was in before they tore it down.

it was probably exactly the same.  that place was a concrete bomb shelter. outside of the easily replaceable ceiling tiles the whole thing was indestructible.