Texas Players entering the transfer portal - 2021 edition

shadow_operative

Believe Derka called this at least a month ago.

With Brown and Kai almost certainly declaring for the draft, Hamm would've been the only seasoned big on the roster. Shaka would've had to play him huge minutes by default, yet Royce would rather play elsewhere.

If that doesn't speak volumes about the state of the program ...

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I recall his being instrumental to our NIT run. 

Am I remembering that wrong?

Seems like he could have been a major contributor this year. 

he was, and beyond that he, along with Donovan Williams and Brock Cunningham, saved Shaka's job last year. Shaka was dead in the water before injuries forced him to play those guys, after which we won five in a row, saving Shaka's job. Hamm deserved so much better.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Shaka would've had to play him huge minutes by default, yet Royce would rather play elsewhere.

If that doesn't speak volumes about the state of the program ...

Seriously.  You wait and wait and finally you're in line for a starting spot and you don't even want it anymore?  Christ.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

he was, and beyond that he, along with Donovan Williams and Brock Cunningham, saved Shaka's job last year. Shaka was dead in the water before injuries forced him to play those guys, after which we won five in a row, saving Shaka's job. Hamm deserved so much better.

Donovan Williams missed the last few games of the year. As far as players who suddenly got time during that late season run it was mainly Brock and Royce who provided the new intensity that fueled the run. And even Will Baker had a 20 point outing in that late season run. 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Hamm played his ass off. He also fouled too much and didn't have many discernable basketball skills. Better coaching would have helped.

He was incredibly frustrating to watch this year, I don't think I need to post his fouls/36 numbers as those who watched were aware. Does it help to have experience on the team? Absolutely. I'm not bummed to see him go though, better coaching helping is kind of the through line of every player in Shaka's tenure. I appreciate him busting his ass for this team, even if doing so put us in the penalty very quickly in a lot of cases.

1 minute ago, CurlyDumps said:

He got Shaka'ed.

Can't wait to watch another player get run off by Coach Text and play meaningful minutes literally anywhere else.

players who have transferred out of Shaka's program over the last four years:

Jacob Young (Rutgers)- 14.1 pts, 3.4 ast, 1.7 stl, 77% FT, 38% 3P

James Banks (Georgia Tech)- 10.5 pts, 7.7 reb, 2.8 OREB, 2.5 blk

Jordan Barnett (Mizzou)- 13.7 pts, 5.9 reb, 1.3 stocks, 42% 3P (6 3PA/gm), 89% FT

Tevin Mack (Clemson)- 12.2 pts, 5.2 reb, 1.7 stocks

Elijah Mitrou-Long (UNLV)- 12.6 pts, 3.4 ast, 3.3 reb, 1.7 stl, 75% FT 

Gerald Liddell- TBD

Will Baker- TBD

Royce Hamm- TBD

Absolute fucking madness. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

• immamac changed the title to Texas Players entering the transfer portal - 2021 edition
30 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Williams will be a productive player for someone else. Hope he finds a great landing spot. 

Hamm can be a high energy guy on a solid team. He would fit in at Tech and maybe they could help with the fouls. 

Both would tear it up at Houston under Sampson, both are also from Houston high schools. They'll need a little length after losing Grimes, Jarreau, Gresham, and Gorham.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Donovan Williams missed the last few games of the year. As far as players who suddenly got time during that late season run it was mainly Brock and Royce who provided the new intensity that fueled the run. And even Will Baker had a 20 point outing in that late season run

that game was such a statistical oddity. Mfer was terrible all year long, like "how the hell did he get a scholarship" terrible. But not that night...

image.thumb.png.dec4254e38f1ec57dff348d878709288.png

will be interesting to see if Steve Alfred can make something out of him at Nevada.

7 minutes ago, Blotto said:

that game was such a statistical oddity. Mfer was terrible all year long, like "how the hell did he get a scholarship" terrible. But not that night...

image.thumb.png.dec4254e38f1ec57dff348d878709288.png

will be interesting to see if Steve Alfred can make something out of him at Nevada.

I mean Porter Mosier has made Krutwig the star of his team. I think Baker at Nevada will have several all conference type seasons.

The lack of movement both for and around him is just not a rhythm inducing thing for a basketball player, IMO. Basketball is a lot like dancing, there are a lot of repeatable events that players experience throughout their basketball playing careers that help to maintain or enhance their rhythm. I'm not saying a player like Baker (or even Osetkowski) needs to run around like Richard Hamilton or Reggie Miller out there, but there's something about moving and seeing others move around you that gets you into the groove. Last time I checked Osetkowski was shooting lights out from 3 in Germany and I'm willing to bet Baker will look like a much more competent player in Alford's system (not that it would be incredibly difficult to improve on his abysmal freshman year). 

11 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Blow the whole thing up and start over. 

100% agree!  If Shaka stays with the current 'small' roster we're a sub .500 at best.  Better to just blow it up now with the hopes of keeping most of the incoming recruits and grabbing a good couple of transfers.  Chris Beard, come on down ... 

So the players who could help us are leaving, and those we know aren't any good are staying. If that doesn't speak to the need to drop a nuclear warhead on this whole thing, I don't know what does. But that's been obvious to every sane person on this board for years.  

• Rage+1 1

So with Shaka going to Marquette, is there any chance that Hamm can be convinced to stay?

I ask this in ignorance because I don't know Royce's motivations for leaving, but I assume it had something to do with his diminished role under Shaka over the season's second half. 

Regardless of whom is hired, Hamm's size, experience and work ethic would be much needed. Sure, his game has holes, but he'd contribute in a major way.

So can he be talked into changing his mind, or once an athlete declares for the portal, he gone?

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

So with Shaka going to Marquette, is there any chance that Hamm can be convinced to stay?

I ask this in ignorance because I don't know Royce's motivations for leaving, but I assume it had something to do with his diminished role under Shaka over the season's second half. 

Regardless of whom is hired, Hamm's size, experience and work ethic would be much needed. Sure, his game has holes, but he'd contribute in a major way.

So can he be talked into changing his mind, or once an athlete declares for the portal, he gone?

He wouldn't contribute in a major way because he literally averaged over 11 fouls per 40 minutes this year, or maybe that is contributing in a major way

• Haha 1

Yeah, but maybe we can get a coach to tell him to stop fouling. Or tell the guys, throw the ball to the tall guy surrounded by short dudes. Or stop dribbling it for 35 seconds, the shot clock is only 30 seconds. Maybe, let's run a play that doesn't require a time out. Just spitballing. But let's try some things.

Edited by Dr. Teeth
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Would his graduation force him out or is that waived for Covid?

1 hour ago, Teryor said:

He wouldn't contribute in a major way because he literally averaged over 11 fouls per 40 minutes this year, or maybe that is contributing in a major way

Yeah, you've already shared this, on this page, even, so no need to keep bringing it up. You sound like a wife. Damn happy you're not a coach.

As I and others have noted, Hamm has his faults, but overall, he's a high-effort guy and he's a big. Right now, Texas is in dire need of both.