2022 DL Kristopher Ross

Machinator

https://insidetexas.com/texas-lands-commitment-from-2022-dl-kristopher-ross/

Fifteen schools offered 2022 Galena Park North Shore DL Kristopher Ross, including Baylor, LSU, Oklahoma, and USC.

For Ross, the No. 30 player in the Inside Texas 2022 Top 75, the choice became clear.

Ross committed to Texas on Tuesday, becoming the first lineman to join the Longhorns’ 2022 class.

Excerpt from the Recruiting Notebook
How he fits at Texas: Ross has a nice blend of speed and power at 6-foot-3, 250 pounds as a high school junior at powerhouse North Shore. The Mustangs play their tackles left and right some so while he’s a natural 3-technique, Ross gets some snaps as a 1-technique as well. Either way, things often look the same. He does his initial work with quickness beating slower linemen to spots, then converts to power in order to attack half a man and work his way into position to make a play or beat his man. He is still learning to use his hands and will have more and more power as he gets older and fills out to 280-plus pounds, he holds up pretty well to double teams due to positioning. In Kwiatkowski’s fronts he could grow to be either a nose or a 3-technique, he has the reach and power to slide inside to the nose down the line but his more likely projection is as a 3-technique who works against guards. – Ian Boyd

Coach says: Strengths – A short-statured player with a thick core and explosive, powerful lower body. Long arms with good reach. Balanced and strong off the ball. Shows light feet and good lateral agility. Will attack gaps relentlessly and shows exceptional strength. He will stun the unsuspecting offensive lineman and will blow up most blocking schemes. Hand use/fighting is exceptional and will use his hands consistently to leverage his opponent. Will wrong-shoulder a blocker consistently and looks to be very hard to square up for the offense. Anchors against the double team really well. Shows a good hip roll on engagement. Shows a variety of rush moves (swim, rip, speed-to-power). I like him at the 3-technique but I suspect he’ll move around quite a bit. Good hustle and straight-line speed is well above-average for a defensive lineman. Good play awareness and diagnoses the play quickly. This guy is intriguing.

Areas for Improvement / Concern – Not sure what his final height and build are going to look like and what that could mean for his athleticism. Acceleration off the snap looks inconsistent.

Excerpt from the Inside Texas 2022 Top 75
Gerry Hamilton: Ross was a brand new name for many when IT released the initial top 50 for the 2022 class, and his junior tape backs up his ranking. I fully expect there to be 20+ offers in time after having watched him play in person vs. Summer Creek. Ross checks all the boxes when talking about frame, foot quickness, flexibility, arm length, physicality, academics and ability to be coached hard by a tremendous North Shore staff.

Eric Nahlin: With the return of Bear and the emergence of Bledsoe and Ross, the interior D-line class has some high upside potential. I’m a fan of Ross’ ability off the ball in combination with his arm length. He gets on O-lineman quicker than Joe Wickline.

• Hook 'Em 1

I had him Totally Krossed Out on my board.  It's Alright that he decided to Jump on board and didn't Miss the Bus.

He's Da Bomb and will be a Really Bad Dream for opponents.

Edited by JBJ
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1