KVM Switch for monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset?

IT just locked down gmail from our work PCs, which makes that machine useless as even a PG rated personal computer. So, I want to set something up to just toggle between my work PC and my macbook. I just have one monitor for the moment - I'll likely stick with that (i think i'll buy a giant monitor before I go back to using two). Mouse, keyboard, headset.  A quick google doesn't seem to yield immediate "this is the one to get" type results, so fishing for any recommendations you guys have for a KVM switch for this purpose (or whatever other way you would accomplish docking two computers and flipping between them on the same set of peripherals).

i've this for about a decade:

https://smile.amazon.com/IOGEAR-GCS632U-Port-Compact-Switch/dp/B0001BVXI6

i only use the USB side.  i switch monitor inputs on the monitor and use a double tap of the scroll lock key to switch the keyboard and mouse.  they probably make one that uses displayport or hdmi but those will also  be more expensive. 

i don't think it works with wireless, though you can buy a logitech keyboard and mouse that can connect wirelessly to multiple computers and switch on the keyboard and mouse themselves. 

Edited by elfenix

I did something similar recently in our conference room. Single TV with a windows PC and Linux Thin Client. I’ll dig out the CDW quote tomorrow and get you the model number. I did have to add a USB hub because the dongle for the wireless keyboard/mouse was on the back of the switch and sometimes it was slow to respond. I simply plugged the usb hub in the back and moved the dongle to the front of the hub. Works really well now from anywhere in the pretty large room.

• 4 months later...

Bump.

I'm looking for a KVM for home. I have a single, widescreen monitor; a single USB Logitech unifying receiver for my keyboard and mouse; a USB headset; and, a USB webcam. I would really like a KVM that uses USB C to connect to the computers and has three USB (preferably 3.0) ports to share these peripherals. Four USB ports would be even better. The monitor will accept USB C, HDMI, and DisplayPort. I only need to support two laptops at a time, but I wouldn't be upset if it supported more. And if I could get a KVM that passes through power, awesome.

After spending a couple of hours looking, it seems like no one is making a modern KVM, or, if they do, it only has ports for one or two USB devices.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by Apep

So I went ahead and got a USB C KVM and a 4-port USB 3.0 hub, both from StarTech. After playing around for a couple of hours, I discovered my main personal laptop, (Asus Republic of Gamers), doesn’t support video out with USB C. I previously had a hub where it did provide video out, but not with the StarTech KVM. Whatever. I used my alternate computer, (Lenovo Legion), and it worked fine. My work computer always worked fine with the KVM. 

I use the software program Multiplicity to alternate between two machines with two monitors side by side using its seamless mode. It also has a KVM mode but I've never used it. I believe you'd be able to bind a keyboard button to toggle between the PC's.

I tried one other software program (Synergy I think) and Multiplicity was much more stable so I went with it.

No idea if that is something you could use or install on your work PC but thought I'd throw that out there just in case.

• 4 weeks later...

somewhat pointless bump since we're getting outside the realm of KVM, but for completeness sake - 

I use a logitech MX Master mouse, and recently bought an MX keys keyboard to pair with it. When I did that, I saw that they have a feature called "Flow" which automatically switches between computers if you're on the same network and have your keyboard+mouse paired with both machines. I did have to upgrade my mouse from the OG MX Master to a newer version (got the MX Master 3, which I wanted anyways since the ratcheting on the MX Master wheel is so loud and I'm starting to go back into the office). Anyways, it works pretty well and also allows you to paste from the clipboard across machines. Just tested that by taking a snapshot of my work calendar and pasting it into an iMessage conversation with my wife, worked no problem. It's still a bit janky for me since I have a big monitor, my personal macbook open next to it, and my work PC in a vertical stand behind that, and the big monitor is plugged into both the PC and the macbook (and i switch inputs using the switch on the monitor). So, there's still a phantom screen I have to scroll across if I have the PC up on the monitor and am trying to get to my laptop's screen, but it should allow me to clean up some of the switch mess on my desk and I think it will work pretty well for switching between the computers. Really nice that I it lets me share the clipboard as well - I'm sure it's non compliant but they fucking blocked gmail and they're living in a fantasy world if they think that work and personal never cross streams.

img_4125.thumb.jpg.b53a4b1add99ec7f0b5b933264cd8541.jpg

probably not worth it if you're not into the logi peripherals, but I fucking love that mouse and am happy with the keyboard, so I'm fairly pleased.

• Hook 'Em 1