WCGW: lets do a 180° turn in the Suez Canal

AUS-97HORN

2 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Do we have pirates taking advantage of this traffic jam yet?

So I have this new business venture I'm seeking investors for. I need enough for a bass boat, some aks and a few plane tickets. Probably some rope or a ladder too. 

• Haha 1

Elite Team Set to Tackle Massive Ship Blocking Suez Canal

The struggle to dislodge the ship is now falling to SMIT Salvage BV, a legendary Dutch firm whose employees parachute themselves from one ship wreckage to the next, saving vessels often during violent storms. Japan’s Nippon Salvage Co. has also been hired to assist in the re-floating, according to people familiar with the matter.

The Suez Canal Authority hasn’t commented on the work or given any indication of when traffic could resume.

The best chance for returning shipping to normal may not come until Sunday or Monday, when the tide will reach a peak, according to Nick Sloane, the salvage master responsible for re-floating the Costa Concordia, the cruise ship that capsized on the coast of Italy in 2012.

• Hook 'Em 1

I was at the helm of a 400' cargo ship in '85, we were leaving the port of Jacksonville FL. St. Johns river has a nasty current and we had a pilot onboard who was in charge of the deal. Current kept pushing us closer and closer to the bank on the "wrong" side of the river, we were driving on the wrong side of the road. Captain was getting more and more nervous, biting his tongue but pacing the bridge anxiously. Pilot would give order for more rudder and we kept on drifting over. Eventually we had enough rudder on to stop the drift but we're still in the wrong lane. That's when we first noticed the shrimp boat coming towards us. I'm guessing the crew was all on the back deck cleaning their catch and they didn't notice us until we were damn near on them. The little boat passed down our starboard side so close that I lost sight of them due to the size difference. We eventually made our way on out to sea without incident but it was unnerving. It would not have been my fault if we had run aground or run over the little shrimp boat but I still would have been the guy on the wheel and that would have sucked ass. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

I was at the helm of a 400' cargo ship in '85, we were leaving the port of Jacksonville FL. St. Johns river has a nasty current and we had a pilot onboard who was in charge of the deal. Current kept pushing us closer and closer to the bank on the "wrong" side of the river, we were driving on the wrong side of the road. Captain was getting more and more nervous, biting his tongue but pacing the bridge anxiously. Pilot would give order for more rudder and we kept on drifting over. Eventually we had enough rudder on to stop the drift but we're still in the wrong lane. That's when we first noticed the shrimp boat coming towards us. I'm guessing the crew was all on the back deck cleaning their catch and they didn't notice us until we were damn near on them. The little boat passed down our starboard side so close that I lost sight of them due to the size difference. We eventually made our way on out to sea without incident but it was unnerving. It would not have been my fault if we had run aground or run over the little shrimp boat but I still would have been the guy on the wheel and that would have sucked ass. 

Oh I love shrimp....

53 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Heard this voice:

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Gonna need a big come-along to unmount her . . . 

r/megalophobia - At least it’s on dry land, right guys? Guys?

Is that the actual vessel?

Despite the usual wealth of ship knowledge available online, I'm not finding anything about the propulsion on this class of ships.  I see a reference to scrubbers, so we know it's diesel, but we don't know if it's diesel-electric or straight-up diesel or whether it has thrusters.  The bow pix above look like it might have some thrusters, but the symbols are blurry.

3 hours ago, RPM said:

Elite Team Set to Tackle Massive Ship Blocking Suez Canal

The struggle to dislodge the ship is now falling to SMIT Salvage BV, a legendary Dutch firm whose employees parachute themselves from one ship wreckage to the next, saving vessels often during violent storms. Japan’s Nippon Salvage Co. has also been hired to assist in the re-floating, according to people familiar with the matter.

The Suez Canal Authority hasn’t commented on the work or given any indication of when traffic could resume.

The best chance for returning shipping to normal may not come until Sunday or Monday, when the tide will reach a peak, according to Nick Sloane, the salvage master responsible for re-floating the Costa Concordia, the cruise ship that capsized on the coast of Italy in 2012.

Wilbur Smith, the South African adventure thriller writer, has a couple of books with modern maritime salvage operations as a theme or backdrop.  Pretty cool stuff, assuming it was semi-accurate.

titanic.png.8022500fb1d8f3701a557f5119a23063.png

The boats will come back for us, Rose. Hold on just a little longer. They had to row away for the suction and now they'll be coming back.

Thank God for you Jack.  It's getting quiet.

Just a few more minutes. It'll take them a while to get the boats organized... I don't know about you, but I intend to write a strongly worded letter to Ever Given about all this.

I love you Jack.

No... don't say your good-byes, Rose. Don't you give up. Don't do it.

I'm so cold.

You're going to get out of this... you're going to go on and you're going to make babies and watch them grow and you're going to die an old lady, warm in your bed. Not here. Not this night. Do you understand me?

I can't feel my body.

Rose, listen to me. Listen. Winning that ticket was the best thing that ever happened to me.  It brought me to you. And I'm thankful, Rose. I'm thankful.  You must do me this honor... promise me you will survive... that you will never give up... no matter what happens... no matter how hopeless... promise me now, and never let go of that promise.

I promise.

Never let go.

I promise. I will never let go, Jack. I'll never let go.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

titanic.png.8022500fb1d8f3701a557f5119a23063.png

The boats will come back for us, Rose. Hold on just a little longer. They had to row away for the suction and now they'll be coming back.

Thank God for you Jack.  It's getting quiet.

Just a few more minutes. It'll take them a while to get the boats organized... I don't know about you, but I intend to write a strongly worded letter to Ever Given about all this.

I love you Jack.

No... don't say your good-byes, Rose. Don't you give up. Don't do it.

I'm so cold.

You're going to get out of this... you're going to go on and you're going to make babies and watch them grow and you're going to die an old lady, warm in your bed. Not here. Not this night. Do you understand me?

I can't feel my body.

Rose, listen to me. Listen. Winning that ticket was the best thing that ever happened to me.  It brought me to you. And I'm thankful, Rose. I'm thankful.  You must do me this honor... promise me you will survive... that you will never give up... no matter what happens... no matter how hopeless... promise me now, and never let go of that promise.

I promise.

Never let go.

I promise. I will never let go, Jack. I'll never let go.

Dumb bitch should have let him on the door.

28 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Despite the usual wealth of ship knowledge available online, I'm not finding anything about the propulsion on this class of ships.  I see a reference to scrubbers, so we know it's diesel, but we don't know if it's diesel-electric or straight-up diesel or whether it has thrusters.  The bow pix above look like it might have some thrusters, but the symbols are blurry.

I think I read somewhere that boats that size basically use all the leftover junk after oil has been refined. Stuff so thick it has to be preheated to even flow properly into the combustion chambers.

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

So what is the claim that occurred? Engine or power failure at an inopportune moment?

With all the turns of the Houston ship channel, I've always wondered why that hasn't happened there before.

It wasn't immediately clear what caused the Ever Given to become wedged on Tuesday morning. GAC said the ship had lost power and the ability to steer.

Bernhard Schulte, however, denied the ship ever lost power.

Evergreen Marine Corp., a major Taiwan-based shipping company that operates the ship, said in a statement that the Ever Given had been overcome by strong winds as it entered the canal from the Red Sea, but none of its containers had sunk.

Bernhard Schulte is the vessel's operator.

• Hook 'Em 1

This reminds me of getting Canoeing merit badge at Camp Constantin on Possum Kingdom in the early 80s.

One of the requirements was to paddle a giant aluminum Grumman two-man canoe some distance like a quarter mile across this cove, alone, using the j-stroke, turn the canoe around and come back.

Well, on the day appointed for this test, there were very high winds blowing across the cove and abeam all the canoes.  

And that meant if you lost any forward momentum, the canoe was turning end-for-end.  For most people, that happened 3-4 times on the little trip.  Most of us finished and it was high on the list of most exhausted I've ever been for less than an hours work.  

And, not too long after we finished, there was a lake wind advisory issued removing all boats from the lake.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

Is this the part of the Suez where it makes a hard right out of nowhere?

Yeah, I think so.  Full rudder starboard!

Surprised they decided to dig the ditch like that. 

GPS said turn right

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I think I read somewhere that boats that size basically use all the leftover junk after oil has been refined. Stuff so thick it has to be preheated to even flow properly into the combustion chambers.

Bunker fuel. Nasty shit. 

5 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

My company owns and operates vessels in the GoM.  240-300ft PSVs.  They're all diesel-electric with Kongsberg/Rolls Royce DP systems which is pretty standard for ships that size.  No idea about any of the container ships though.

• Hook 'Em 1

So 240' ships use different propulsion than 1,340' ships?  Makes some sense.  ;)  

Large ships have always fascinated me because of not only the engineering and ability to stay afloat and navigate the sea...but because they are designed and built based on the size of the ports and canals that can support them instead of vice-versa...as it is with planes and trucks and trains for the most part.  the lead engineer and CEO who put the whole Panama Canal expansion project together earlier this century (Alliance Consulting Group, very strong ties to UT) made a layman's presentation about the project and how it would now induce a new super-class of shipping vessels.  I thought it was gonna be like sitting through an insurance seminar with Del Griffith but it was riveting.  Especially the part where governments and industry try to bribe and/or threaten you to slightly alter the engineering to accommodate the ship types they feel they can come to market with first.  

Anyway, as much as the Panama expansion was riveting, the Suez Canal situation looks like the true varsity ropes course.