The 2018 Hunting Thread

Bert Orange

1 hour ago, Noogman said:

On a lease this year in Mason County with some turkey.  Never been before, but going to hopefully join someone who's turkey hunted before.  Any general turkey tips for someone who hasn't hunted them before?

We run multiple corn feeders year 'round so they are always around.  In general, they can be hard to hunt.  Eyesight is phenomenal and they hear well.  Scent a non issue.  You have to hide and draw them in with either/both visual (decoys) and calls (scratch box, etc.).  Turkey calls with a cell phone and a small speaker actually work rather well. 

Turkey hunting is one of the best damned experiences, but the end game is horrible.  I have yet to find a good way to cook a bird....best I've ever done is lightly frying chunks of breast, and it still wasn't amazing.  I've resorted to entertaining the sport of calling in a big Tom and getting them to strut around.  Can't find it in myself to pull the trigger anymore.  Anyone have a good recipe that would have me pullin' on the Benelli trigger once again?

7 hours ago, Noogman said:

On a lease this year in Mason County with some turkey.  Never been before, but going to hopefully join someone who's turkey hunted before.  Any general turkey tips for someone who hasn't hunted them before?

Do you know the area well?  Any ideas where they typically roost?  Get within calling range of those areas, right before dark (or at dark) and hoot like a screech owl.  You can often locate them this way, as owls are a natural predator and the males will gobble in response.  Come set up within 2-300 yards in the morning, before light.  At daylight, start calling (lonely hen) and listen - paying close attention to if the gobbler's getting closer, or going away.  If he's going away, he's with a group of hen's that he's not leaving.  Time to move....  It's a bit cat / mouse with a smart gobbler.

Also - unlike Texas deer hunting, you need to wear AMPLE camouflage.  They are extremely good at pinpointing a location, and their eyesight is impeccable.  Once they have you pegged, they will just run and you may not ever see or hear them.  Try not to move much if you have a gobbler that is making his way into your area - become the tree / bush / background.

If he's getting close, don't over-call.  Similar to ducks, you can over-do it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Noogman said:

If blind calling to bring them in don't call too often unless you have a decoy spread.

1 hour ago, Izhmash said:

Turkey hunting is one of the best damned experiences, but the end game is horrible.  I have yet to find a good way to cook a bird....best I've ever done is lightly frying chunks of breast, and it still wasn't amazing.  I've resorted to entertaining the sport of calling in a big Tom and getting them to strut around.  Can't find it in myself to pull the trigger anymore.  Anyone have a good recipe that would have me pullin' on the Benelli trigger once again?

You hate darks?  Seriously though, it’s like the whole bird is dark meat. That’s not a bad thing. To me at least. 

2 hours ago, Izhmash said:

You take my 16 year old son Turkey hunting, I'll supply the recipe.

3 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Anyone know a good site to find deer leases?  Every site I found so far had none listed for the area I’m looking.  I’m looking for one in Lavaca, Victoria or Fayette counties for 2 people, with a little camphouse if possible.

See dammit, this is why we need a damn outdoors board - I JUST filled two spots we had opened up on our land.  We're near Coleman/Valera area.  Good luck.  Getting tight out there and prices are ratcheting up.  If things open up or we lose anyone, I'll post here first.  In the meantime, world of mouth, local listings, etc.  

18 hours ago, Izhmash said:

Breast them out.  Wild turkey, opened up, smell rotten.  I split the skin, use a thin bladed filet knife, and remove each.  Ziploc bag full of spices, shake it all up and let sit in the fridge overnight, then on to the smoker.  

Turkeys are one of the best ways to get kids hooked on the woods. If there are any gobblers around, a pop-up blind and a decoy can make for some pretty reliable shooting...even with fidgety kids. Of course, then you still have to figure out what to do with the turkey.  

On 3/26/2018 at 8:50 PM, Izhmash said:

I make carnitas out of the thighs.  Its worth doing.  If you really need it, add some domestic turkey thighs during the process for the fat.  

Here is a similar recipe.

https://honest-food.net/turkey-carnitas/

I should add that I enjoy deer heart tacos as well.  

If you mix milo into your corn feeders it seems to make the turkeys more consistent in my experience. They were strutting at our Lampasas place last week.

QI1jRCC.jpg

I take the breasts out, and put them in ice in a cooler or refer with some kosher salt, just like I would a deer, but not as long, maybe 3-4 days, draining bloody water and adding ice and a little salt everyday. Drain, slice against the grain into tenders, batter and bread with Panko and corn meal and spices and deep fry.

Alternatively, after the ice treatment, I butterfly the breast and stuff it with cream cheese, smoked Serranos, and some venison pan sausage, then bacon wrap and grill/smoke.

You will not be disappoint. 

zrBoKnO.jpg

BzsJcBs.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, 686 said:

If you mix milo into your corn feeders it seems to make the turkeys more consistent in my experience. They were strutting at our Lampasas place last week.

QI1jRCC.jpg

I take the breasts out, and put them in ice in a cooler or refer with some kosher salt, just like I would a deer, but not as long, maybe 3-4 days, draining bloody water and adding ice and a little salt everyday. Drain, slice against the grain into tenders, batter and bread with Panko and corn meal and spices and deep fry.

Alternatively, after the ice treatment, I butterfly the breast and stuff it with cream cheese, smoked Serranos, and some venison pan sausage, then bacon wrap and grill/smoke.

You will not be disappoint. 

zrBoKnO.jpg

BzsJcBs.jpg

That looks fucking awesome!

Hey guys, I've been a deer and dove/bird hunter my whole life. Live in the Houston area and just got a new bird dog pup a couple months ago (boykin spaniel). I have never been much of a duck hunter, but would like to start going on some hunts. Any suggestions on where to start? I've looked at a few hunting clubs online, but I'm thinking going out with a guide 5 or 6 times would make more sense for me than a lease. Any suggestions for good outfitters near Houston?

Also what gear do I need to pick up? I already have a good shotgun for ducks, but no waders, calls, etc.

2 hours ago, mapplewhite132 said:

Hey guys, I've been a deer and dove/bird hunter my whole life. Live in the Houston area and just got a new bird dog pup a couple months ago (boykin spaniel). I have never been much of a duck hunter, but would like to start going on some hunts. Any suggestions on where to start? I've looked at a few hunting clubs online, but I'm thinking going out with a guide 5 or 6 times would make more sense for me than a lease. Any suggestions for good outfitters near Houston?

Also what gear do I need to pick up? I already have a good shotgun for ducks, but no waders, calls, etc.

There’s a lot of spots you can “walk in” within an hour of Houston, mostly on the coast.  A few dozen decoys is all it takes to get started. 

11 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

There’s a lot of spots you can “walk in” within an hour of Houston, mostly on the coast.  A few dozen decoys is all it takes to get started. 

Don't forget your shotgun!  Or, your bow if you're crazy good like Ronnie Tuttle.

Yes, a few guided hunts will probably be less expensive and more productive than stumbling onto a lease.

Damn. That already looks good.

If you need volunteers to post up in the shade under that tree line in the fall and protect that poor clearing from being over run by dove or deer, I know some people.

Thanks, it has been a great place for us. We’ve cleared new growth cedar out of about 70ac of pastures (I’m going to ballpark it at 2000 cedars); once we got those down a spring started flowing again. In the photo above, I was pulling oak and cedar stumps where the folks before us had some dead oaks and cedars ground down. Having good equipment makes all the difference. I probably pulled ~200 stumps in 3 hours. Once we get the stumps out we can disc, shred/spray the noxious plants, seed/encourage the productive plants, and it looks so much better and is more productive.

Here’s a “finished product” food plot:

0976a104a3b8ad40fb315c643086c5ac.jpg

I feed protein, but timed release, only open 5 minutes morning and evening now. This is a 200 ac low fence place. I never saw deer like this as a kid, my kids don’t know how good they have it:

5795d82a6ad4d5680040390ff281f6ea.jpg
  • Like 1

You have fun toys. I like fun toys.

Glass cab equipment is freaking sweet. We ran open cab machines for 20 years, finally moved to glass cabs two years ago and the productivity has gone up significantly. I can run a glass cab machine all day, skipping lunch, and not feel like I got my ass kicked, as I used to with and open cab machine. Less noise, smoke, dust, wind, heat, cold, etc. and these machines have pneumatic shock absorbers under the seats so our backs don’t take as much of a beating.

On 4/7/2018 at 9:22 PM, 686 said:

Didn’t feel like turkey hunting this morning in the 34 degree temps with 20mph wind, so decided to pull stumps instead.

ab19dfdd5134ee14c53d28c4ed100e71.jpg

As I get older, and land management takes more of a priority...Hot-Damn I want that dozer.  Mesquite getting thicker and thicker.  We've been piling them up, but we have to outsource to a guy in town that it aint cheap.  Couple of fields we no longer plant I'd like to reclaim as well.  I covet....

As I get older, and land management takes more of a priority...Hot-Damn I want that dozer.  Mesquite getting thicker and thicker.  We've been piling them up, but we have to outsource to a guy in town that it aint cheap.  Couple of fields we no longer plant I'd like to reclaim as well.  I covet....

My dad built this “grubber” attachment from an old grader blade that is great for pulling out mesquites and cedars under about 3-4” diameter. Faster and more accurate than the grapple, then switch to the grapple to collect and stack the downed brush.

18688b86a702fca96076d96ace67300a.jpg

3 hours ago, 686 said:

My dad built this “grubber” attachment from an old grader blade that is great for pulling out mesquites and cedars under about 3-4” diameter. Faster and more accurate than the grapple, then switch to the grapple to collect and stack the downed brush.

18688b86a702fca96076d96ace67300a.jpg

Methinks your pops was a student of history.  That looks almost like a scaled down version of the old "Hedgerow Cutters" mounted on the front of Sherman's in WWII (Rhino tanks). 

One of the first big Allied intelligence blunders were not accounting for fighting in the massive French Hedgerows.  Tanks wold try to go over them, exposing their underbelly to attack.  So the cutters would bite in, and allow the tanks to dig in, and push through all the foliage and keep them level with the ground.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You need a good set of waders. Don't get heavy neoprene, just get the lightweight version and layer underneath if it's really cold out. Also, get a face mask, or be prepared to paint your face each hunt. You need to keep really still at the point of attack, similar to deer hunting. Ducks that see shiny faces upon final approach will flair.

As a beginner, I would suggest booking with a guide for a few hunts until you get a feel of what's involved. For ducks, I would look to book around Livingston area. Or you could book a coastal hunt (Port O'Connor?). Two really different experiences, but both are enjoyable.