2021 Seattle Mariners

MC Fresh Breath

20 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Sounds like that might have been it for Gilbert.  He shows promise.  

Agreed. I thought he looked decent and showed potential. Gave up a couple of homers which will make his stat line look rough. But his pitches looked lively and he was all over the strike zone.

Remember, we got the Mets to give us this guy for DIaz.

Kelenic's big night 'everything you dream of'

12:33 AM PDT
Daniel Kramer

Daniel Kramer

@DKramer_
Jarred Kelenic's first hits, HR

May 14, 2021

· 

1:46

Jarred Kelenic's first hits, HR

SEATTLE -- Jarred Kelenic does a lot of things loudly, and his first Major League hit was no exception. The Mariners’ prized outfield prospect crushed a 403-foot homer into the right-center-field bleachers that emphatically left his bat at 109.3 mph during the third inning of Friday’s 7-3 win over Cleveland, a victory that snapped a five-game losing streak.

Kelenic turned on a low-and-away 85 mph splitter from starting pitcher Aaron Civale in a 1-0 count -- a “cookie” over the plate, as the 21-year-old likes to call such offerings -- and drilled it with authority, with an echo that boomed through T-Mobile Park.

It was a telling example of the patient and disciplined approach -- putting himself into a hitter's count and jumping on the offering -- that has made Kelenic MLB Pipeline’s No. 4 prospect in all of baseball. The home run was part of a memorable night for Kelenic (pronounced KELL-Nick), who one day after going hitless in his MLB debut went 3-for-4 with the homer, two doubles, three RBIs, and two runs scored.

Kelenic saw four of Civale’s six pitches in his first at-bat -- a check-swing strikeout, but one that was competitive -- then he came back his second time with a revised plan.

“I want to bury our opponents, each and every night,” Kelenic said. “And what really bugs me is when I give away at-bats, or if I don't execute on what I'm trying to do, just because, like what I just said, I want to win.”

Kelenic hits HR for first MLB hit

May 14, 2021

· 

0:27

Kelenic hits HR for first MLB hit

Statcast was also able to finally put tangible backing to the bat speed that scouts have raved about, with Kelenic nearly touching the 110 mph threshold that is among the most elite. It was Seattle’s seventh-hardest-hit homer this season, and it gave what’s been a scuffling offense a 3-0 lead. But more telling to Kelenic’s strength was his ability to yank a pitch with a splitter’s behavior that hard and that far to the pull side. 

“Very strong,” Mariners manager Scott Servais said of Kelenic's look in the box. “Jarred’s got great rhythm at the plate; you're talking about hitters and short swings and having power, but you’ve got to have rhythm, and he has outstanding rhythm at the plate. And that's what allows him to see pitches, recognize pitches and control the strike zone the way he does.”

Servais on Kelenic, Flexen

May 14, 2021

· 

3:03

Servais on Kelenic, Flexen

After rounding the bases, Kelenic pointed to his family and girlfriend in the stands, ducked into the dugout, then came out for a curtain call -- his first ever, he said -- in front of a roaring crowd that became a moment that, if his career plays out as he and the Mariners anticipate, will be the first of many shown on highlight reels for years to come.

The ROOT Sports Northwest broadcast captured his parents, Thomas and Lisa, embraced in an emotional hug, with his girlfriend, Gina, capturing the moment via video.

“I think it's everything you dream of, to be able to share this with my parents, and my friends, and other family members is huge, and something I'll never forget,” Kelenic said.

At 21 years and 302 days old, Kelenic became the youngest Mariners player to go yard since Adam Jones went deep on Aug. 10, 2006, though that came in Jones’ 20th career game.

He also became the first Mariners player to homer for his first big league hit since Kyle Lewis took Trevor Bauer deep on Sept. 10, 2019.

Lewis went on to homer another five times (six total) in his first 10 games, and of course, went on to become the American League Rookie of the Year the following season.

Could Kelenic be on another ROY trajectory? Despite debuting six weeks into the season, MLB.com experts predicted before the season that there’s a strong chance, as did Las Vegas oddsmakers, who put Kelenic behind only Rays postseason hero Randy Arozarena with the best odds.

“To see a guy as young as he is come in confident, especially with the work to back it, it's great to see,” veteran right fielder Mitch Haniger said. “I mean, that's what you want -- you want a young player coming up who works hard, goes about his business the right way. He's prepared every day.

“Sometimes it takes guys a couple years to get to be that way and kind of learn the ropes. He came in [against Civale] and knew what he wanted to do against him. It's been fun to watch. He's a good player.”

In a coincidental quirk, Kelenic’s deep fly came on the nine-year anniversary of Bryce Harper’s first big league homer, one that Kelenic said on his YouTube channel recently that he watched live, then another 20 times on replay the following morning before school.

Must C: Harper's first HR

May 14, 2012

· 

2:12

Must 😄 Harper's first HR

Kelenic, who been compared to Harper for his makeup, swing profile and unapologetic confidence, was in sixth grade at the time.

“Over and over again, over and over again,” Kelenic recalled of watching the Harper highlight. “And he did it at home. He hit a ball to center field. I didn't know that. That's actually pretty cool. That's awesome.”

Just as impressive, in the eyes of his teammates, was Kelenic’s hustle on a pair of doubles that required a little extra effort. 

In the fifth inning, Kelenic willed his way to second on a gapper to right-center, challenging Cleveland center fielder Jordan Luplow, whose throw reached second base in time but was off-line because it was delivered with urgency.

Kelenic reached second in 8.24 seconds, with a sprint speed of 28.2 feet per second per Statcast (27.0 is league average and 30.0 is elite).

Jarred Kelenic legs out a double

May 14, 2021

· 

0:32

Jarred Kelenic legs out a double

In the seventh, he fisted an opposite-field liner along the foul line that scored Sam Haggerty, also putting him in scoring position for Haniger, who crushed his AL-leading 11th homer to put the game out of reach. Kelenic dialed his sprint speed up to 28.9 on that one.

“Ever since I was young, my dad always taught me that when you make contact, it's always a double out of the box,” Kelenic said. “So that's the same mentality I've had ever since I was young.

“And I think that, like you saw tonight, especially on the first double, I feel like those are iffy if the outfielder is going to get to it in time and make a good enough throw. But if I can put some pressure on him early, when he peeks at me coming around first base, he may overthrow it. And now I’m in scoring position for the guy behind me.”

Postgame, Kelenic was treated with the customary beer bath celebration in the home clubhouse. That part of Friday was a one-time occasion, standard practice for a rookie hitting his first homer. But a three-hit game and willing his team to a win figure to become regular practice for the Mariners.

“Sometimes, one player can make a difference,” Servais said, “just how guys go through their at-bats and the emotion and excitement that he can bring on a daily basis.”

Did you like this story?

•  

Jarred Kelenic homers for first hit in majors as M’s snap 5-game skid

May 14, 2021 at 10:23 pm Updated May 14, 2021 at 11:50 pm

Jarred Kelenic gets his first hit in the big leagues, a two-run home run in the third inning scoring Sam Haggerty with a line drive bullet to right center field. The homer added to the Mariners lead, 3-0, against Cleveland on Friday night, May 14, 2021 in Seattle. (Dean Rutz / The Seattle Times)

Jarred Kelenic runs the bases after hitting his first Major League home run in the third inning. (Dean Rutz / The Seattle Times)

Jarred Kelenic rounds third after hitting his first Major League home run off Cleveland starter Aaron Civale in the third inning. (Dean Rutz / The Seattle Times)

Jarred Kelenic waves to the stands after his first career Major League homer off Cleveland starter Aaron Civale. (Dean Rutz / The Seattle Times)

Jarred Kelenic is embraced by Kyle Lewis after hitting a two-run home run against Cleveland in the third inning. (Elaine Thompson / AP)

Kyle Seager homers in the first inning for Seattle as the Mariners jumped out to a 1-0 lead. (Dean Rutz / The Seattle Times)

J.P. Crawford welcomes home Kyle Seager who solo homered in the first inning for Seattle. (Dean Rutz / The Seattle Times)

Seattle first baseman Jose Marmolejos looks to double up the runner at second after snagging a line drive off Cleveland’s Jake Bauers in the third inning. (Dean Rutz / The Seattle Times)

Seattle right fielder Sam Haggerty can’t pull down the fly ball by Cleveland’s Jordan Luplow that goes for a double in the third. (Dean Rutz / The Seattle Times)

Jarred Kelenic slides into second, doubling in the fifth inning. (Dean Rutz / The Seattle Times)

Dylan Moore collides with Cleveland third baseman Jose Ramirez as he steals the base. (Dean Rutz / The Seattle Times)

Jarred Kelenic beats the throw to second, doubling in the seventh. (Dean Rutz / The Seattle Times)

Jarred Kelenic welcomes home Mitch Haniger who homered in the seventh.  The Mariners scored four runs in the inning, opening their lead to 7-1. (Dean Rutz / The Seattle Times)

Chris Flexen gets the start for Seattle Friday against Cleveland. Flexen allowed only one run in 5.2 innings. (Dean Rutz / The Seattle Times)

Mariners Chairman of the Board John Stanton takes notes from behind home plate during the game. (Dean Rutz / The Seattle Times)

1 of 15 | Jarred Kelenic gets his first hit in the big leagues, a two-run home run in the third inning scoring Sam Haggerty with a line drive bullet to right center field. The homer added to the Mariners lead, 3-0, against... (Dean Rutz / The Seattle Times) More 
Ryan Divish 
By 
Seattle Times staff reporter

It had to be a home run.

You knew it wasn’t going to be an infield single or a blooper into shallow left-center — that would come later.

No, Jarred Kelenic’s first big-league hit had to match the hype surrounding his call-up and align with his self-assured personality.

After going hitless in his MLB debut Thursday night and striking out in his first at-bat Friday, the Mariners’ precocious prospect gave the fans at T-Mobile Park what they wanted to see in his second at-bat — a glimpse of that talent and power in the form of a laser into the outfield seats.

BOX SCORE

Facing Cleveland starter Aaron Civale, who came into the game with a 5-0 record and a 2.91 earned-run average in seven starts, Kelenic jumped on a low splitfinger fastball on the outside half of the plate. In a testament to his raw strength and compact swing, Kelenic dropped the barrel of the bat on the pitch, sending a line drive over the wall in deep right-center over the 380 sign and into the hands of a fan, who will likely trade the valuable memento to Kelenic for some autographed memorabilia.  

But beyond the individual achievement, it provided an injection of energy into the slogfest that has been the Mariners offense for the better part of two weeks. And that homer, along with two other hits from Kelenic, including an RBI double, helped Seattle unleash an unexpected explosion of runs and snap a five-game losing streak in what would eventually be a 7-3 victory.

It was just the second time in 11 games where Seattle scored seven runs or more and the 10 hits were more than the total combined hits in the previous three games. Kelenic finished the night with three of those 10 hits — the two-run homer in the third, a two-out hustling double on a line drive to center and another hustling double on a blooper to left field that scored a run in a big four-run seventh inning.

“It’s been a rough, rough stretch for us the last four or five games and certainly what Kelenic provided tonight was huge,” manager Scott Servais said. “The quality of the at-bats that Jarred threw out there tonight got us going, certainly with the home run for the first hit and everything around that. It’s going to be fun to watch.”

While it seems unfair to view Kelenic as a savior to the offense at age 21 and in his second MLB game, it’s not impossible for him to have an effect on a team beyond the production.

“Sometimes one player can make a difference in just how guys go through their at-bats and with the emotion and excitement that he can bring on a daily basis,” Servais said. “Youthful enthusiasm is a very good thing.”

There is an intensity to the way he plays the game. He treats every at-bat like a war and refuses to give one away due to lack of focus or commitment.

“I’m a competitor and I want to win,” he said. “I want to bury our opponents, each and every night. It really bugs me when I give away at-bats or if I don’t execute on what I’m trying to do. I think especially at this level that’s what you notice in the difference between the minor leagues and the major leagues — guys just don’t give away at-bats that much, and pitchers don’t give away pitches that much. So the times that they do, you need to execute and be ready. You’ve got to be locked in each and every pitch.”

It’s a mindset that teammates noticed since he started being invited to MLB spring training the past few seasons.

“He’s just a good hitter,” said Mitch Haniger, who batted behind Kelenic. “The thing just struck me, dating back to spring training, the guy just has good at-bats, he controls the zone well, he’s got a good eye and that’s gonna play. If you swing at good pitches and you hit the ball hard, and he does plenty of that, he’s gonna be a good player. It’s been fun to watch. It’s great to have him in our lineup and we are looking forward to it for many more nights.”

After flirting with being no-hit the day before and several times before that, Kyle Seager ended that seemingly every-game drama in the first inning, launching a solo homer to deep right-center off Civale to make it 1-0.

When Kelenic came to bat in the third inning, he stepped into the box having seen all four of Civale’s pitches — cutter, fastball, curveball and splitfinger — in his first at-bat, which ended in irritating fashion with an awkward check-swing on a splitfinger in the dirt that was called a strike by third-base umpire Ted Barrett.

Kelenic didn’t take a half swing at the splitter again.

Off the bat, Kelenic seemed to know it was a hit hard, but wasn’t certain it was a homer. There was no bat flip or even pose. He ran hard out of the box and didn’t slow down much as he circled the bases. In the stands, his parents and girlfriend screamed, hugged and celebrated.

“I knew I put a good swing on it, and finally got a good pitch to hit,” he said.

As he crossed home plate, he pointed directly at his family before heading to the dugout. The fans in the stands gave him a standing ovation, screaming for a curtain call. Kelenic appeared from the dugout and stood on the top step next to Servais, waving his helmet to acknowledge their request.

“I never have,” he said of the curtain call. “I didn’t even know that that’s what they wanted, until people were like, ‘get out there!’ I didn’t know what was going on until I realized that everyone was standing up. You know that’s something I’ve always imagined. I’ve seen other guys do it. I remember when Bryce Harper hit two home runs on opening day and he got a curtain call. It was perfect.”

Kelenic loved Harper growing up and talked about watching his first MLB home run on his YouTube channel. In a bit of baseball coincidence, Harper’s first MLB homer came nine years to the day of Kelenic’s first homer.

“Wow, I didn’t know that,” Kelenic said. “It was against the Padres. I was watching that game. He did it at home. He hit a ball to center field. I didn’t know that. That’s pretty cool.”

How many times did he watch that Harper homer?

“Over and over and over,” he said.

More than a few Mariners fans will be doing the same with his homer.

When he jogged out to left field after the inning was over, the fans in Edgar’s Cantina and in the left-field bleachers and near the left-field foul line gave him a standing ovation.

The 3-0 lead was useful for starter Chris Flexen, who was effective despite not being overly difficult to hit.

He pitched 5 2/3 innings, allowing one run on five hits with a walk and no strikeouts. Of his 85 pitches, he generated just four swings and misses. Cleveland put 20 balls in play and 11 of them had exit velocities of more than 90 mph, including five over 100 mph.

With two outs in the top of the sixth and Seattle up 3-1, Servais went to his bullpen. Right-hander Kendall Graveman, who hadn’t pitched in a week, finished the sixth and worked a scoreless seventh.

But a four-run bottom of the seventh proved useful and necessary for victory.

Dylan Moore led off with a double, stole third and scored on a sac fly from Luis Torrens. Sam Haggerty followed with a double to right and scored easily on Kelenic’s double. Mitch Haniger punctuated the inning by crushing a fastball from Phil Maton into the mass of inhumanity known as The ‘Pen, which has now returned to full capacity, though those fans must be fully vaccinated.

Erik Swanson pitched a routine scoreless eighth inning. But the ninth inning wasn’t simple. Asked to finish what should’ve been a comfortable win with a six-run lead, right-hander J.T. Chargois made things interesting, serving up a two-run homer to Josh Naylor. Chargois appeared to have ended the game when Harold Ramirez hit a line drive to shortstop J.P. Crawford. But he dropped the knuckling liner. Crawford still had time to make a play, firing to first base. But Jose Marmolejos, playing in place of the injured Evan White, dropped the throw.

Servais brought in Rafael Montero to get the final out, which he did, getting a ground out to first, earning a one-out save.