2021 Seattle Mariners

MC Fresh Breath

Hell of a season for the Mariners. Going into the season I thought they had a bright future with a lot of young talent but weren’t there yet; but I was wrong, they arrived early and still have some serious talent that hasn’t bubbled up yet.

I expect the Astros to take a bit of a step back next year (probably losing Correa, Altuve/Brantley/Yuli all a year older, etc.). I’d expect HOU/SEA/OAK to all be fighting it out again next year. (And hell, with a healthy Trout and Rondon and Ohtani, the Angels won’t be pushovers either.)

• Like 1

Mariners Promise Fans They’ll Be Back To Finish 2022 Playoff Race In Even More Heartbreaking Fashion

SEATTLE—Comforting the city after having their hopes dashed in the final week of the season, the Seattle Mariners promised their fans Wednesday that they would be working hard to finish next year’s playoff race in even more heartbreaking fashion. “We know this was tough, but this was just the beginning; you haven’t seen the last of this team getting your hopes up before dashing them in the most painful possible way,” said shortstop J.P. Crawford, who claimed Seattle has all the pieces in place to be a perennial soul-crusher in the AL West. “You have not seen the last of this team. I’m sure people thought it was tough finishing just two games back like we did, but I assure you we could possibly do that next year by blowing a 5-run lead in the 7th inning of the final game, or even a walk-off home run in the play-in. That’s our promise to Mariners fans.” At press time, Mariners ownership announced plans to slash $20 million in payroll for 2022.

https://www.theonion.com/mariners-promise-fans-they-ll-be-back-to-finish-2022-pl-1847811871

image.gif

1 minute ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Come on now, fellas.  They've admittedly been in a rebuild, which by all rights seems to be going pretty well all things considered.  Let me have some hope in the winter.

Thread title for next year:

Seattle Mariners 2022: Abandon All Hope, Ye Who Enter Here

1 hour ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Literally me after reading this:

But I also need them to know something else: This group is going to the playoffs. That’s not an if….. it’s a when. And that when is soon.

We’re going to end this f*cking drought.

baby-scream-yeah.gif

Also, SO MUCH THIS:

I hope our front office is reading this, and they understand that it’s time to really go all-in. It’s time to make some impact moves, and put this group over the top. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Adios Kikuchi

Yusei Kikuchi To Decline Player Option, Test Free Agency
By Mark Polishuk | November 3, 2021 at 3:29pm CDT

Mariners left-hander Yusei Kikuchi has told the team that he is declining his $13MM player option for the 2022 season, according to The Athletic’s Corey Brock (Twitter link).  The southpaw will now enter the free agent market after three seasons in Seattle.

As per the unusual structure of Kikuchi’s contract, the Mariners had until Friday to decide whether or not to exercise four years’ worth of $16.5MM club options for the lefty covering the 2022-25 seasons — effectively, a four-year/$66MM extension.  If the Mariners declined to pick up those options, Kikuchi could then opt into the 2022 season via his $13MM player option.

Today’s news indicates that the M’s have indeed passed on those four option years, which isn’t a shock considering the inconsistent nature of Kikuchi’s 2021 season.  However, earlier reports suggested that Kikuchi would exercise his player option, making his decision to hit the open market something of a surprise.

Yusei Kikuchi To Decline Player Option, Test Free Agency - MLB Trade Rumors

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...