Zelda and Link - The Time Has Come

Bama Llama

The world needs someone clever to find 5% of the Avatar budget and faithfully adapt The Legend of Zelda, right down to the last detail, music, story, quirky secrets, the whole schmeer.  Tell the truth, when you first controlled a video game allowing four directions movement rather than left to right only, wasn't it like discovering a new world?

Back in the late 80s-early 90s, on the original Nintendo playing Zelda with my young daughter was a real joy, a test in logic, memory and eye-hand coordination unlike most games.  

It would be a welcome alternative compared to the dreck generally available today. A well-done Zelda would kick all kinds of ass in filmed entertainment.  

• Hook 'Em 2

I would think that would have a very small chance of success.

First, video game movies have an extremely low success rate. They're nearly all horrible.

Secondly, the story has never been a particularly strong part of the Zelda games. They're fantastic worlds and the puzzle solving loop of go to dungeon, find item in dungeon, item is used to kill dungeon boss, item then allows access to more areas of the world is the main draw of the games.

The lore of Zelda games is pretty bad.

Now, get a solid cast of comedians together, give them a good budget for costumes and CGI, and let's get a Curse of Monkey Island movie going. I want a Pirates of the Caribbean meets Ghostbusters type vibe. Get the guy who directed the Guardians of the Galaxy movies to do it.

The lore is inconsistent because Nintendo has admitted they make the gameplay first and write the story later.   There's inconsistencies between every game/timeline and Nintendo hasn't ever bothered to rectify those inconsistencies.

It's also entirely from Link's POV as a silent protagonist. 

I think it would be horrible.  And I LOVE these games. 

I know why it won't work, but I'm SHOCKED, that 30+ years later no one has even tried.

And I don't care about the inconsistent lore...pick one game, and base it off that one.  A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, or even the Original.  Any one of those could be adapted pretty easily.

Much easier than Mario or Sonic or PacMan.  But whatever.