The Nevers (HBO Max, April 11, Supernatural Victorian London)

atomheartbevo

Victorian London is rocked to its foundations by a supernatural event that gives certain people — mostly women — abnormal abilities, from the wondrous to the disturbing. But no matter their particular "turns," all who belong to this new underclass are in grave danger. It falls to mysterious, quick-fisted widow Amalia True (Laura Donnelly) and brilliant young inventor Penance Adair (Ann Skelly) to protect and shelter these gifted "orphans." To do so, they will have to face the brutal forces determined to annihilate their kind

• 3 weeks later...
Question about reporter (Spoilered for those who haven't seen the last episode):
Spoiler

The reporter at the end was Maladie - correct? 
The names appear to have some significance (?) . . . which makes worry for Penance. 

Did it have significance beyond giving them the name of the unidentified body the police had found?
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

Did it have significance beyond giving them the name of the unidentified body the police had found?

Spoiler

I must have missed that is was Clara, dressed as Maladie, who was taken into custody, not Maladie. 

The names are another issue and separate from Clara standing in for Maladie and Maladie posing as a reporter.  I was not clear. My bad. Sorry.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Paying a penance/Penance the character.  In the 10th Century Catholic Church, penance, included mortification of the flesh, e.g., self-flagellation and other self-harm.

St. Romaulda Orphanage = 10th Century's St. Romuald, Abbot and Confessor, Founder of the Order of Camaldoli - a devotee of severe penance, including mortification of the flesh. https://www.bartleby.com/210/2/071.html

Or - the writers just needed interesting names and I went chasing down a rabbit trail (most likely)

Edited by washparkhorn

If you've had HBO for some or all of the past ~7 years it's not a great value because you've already likely seen their best stuff from their streaming catalog. They don't have enough new, original content. I'm guessing they don't have enough subscribers and that's why today they announced they were selling it to Discovery. Changes no doubt will be made and hopefully they'll improve the value to price ratio. The only upcoming show they have that I know I'm looking forward to is the Sopranos prequel.

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I want to watch this, but i don't fucking need another streaming service

It is available on regular HBO, just as an aside.

The midseason finale is where the introduction concludes and the arc forward begins. The first episodes pf the series don't feel like science fiction (cool steampunk instead). The last episode grounds The Nevers in space SciFi. 

4 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

It is available on regular HBO, just as an aside.

The midseason finale is where the introduction concludes and the arc forward begins. The first episodes pf the series don't feel like science fiction (cool steampunk instead). The last episode grounds The Nevers in space SciFi. 

Yeah, I just finished up the latest episode and had to stop the stream at the beginning to double check that I was watching the right show. I like where this is heading.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Yeah, I just finished up the latest episode and had to stop the stream at the beginning to double check that I was watching the right show. I like where this is heading.

I was also confused at first and then was like, idk what this is, but I’m so into it 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 5/10/2021 at 11:41 PM, CooterBrown said:

My wife theorizes that True is a time traveler and may not know it. One clue was that she instantly called it an amplifier and everyone looked at her like WTF.

Finally watched the last episode and I can't believe my wife was (mostly) right. I'm never going to hear the end of it. FML.

The backstory should be largely complete with last episode, which should mean less confusion moving forward.
The cliff hanger/tension for the next arc is (I think):
Spoiler

What if others jumped with her in time back to London?

I have to think that is the case.

Did they already shoot Part 2? Is there an announced release date?
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Did they already shoot Part 2? Is there an announced release date?

It's currently in production.  Originally they weren't breaking it into two parts, but covid halted some filming, so they decided to finish what they had already filmed and release it (they wanted to get as much new stuff up on HBO Max as they could).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/11/2021 at 9:09 PM, TexasGary said:

Just finished this.  Holy smokes was this a good show. The season finale was awesome.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, as well. 

One weird thing:  either my brain just failed to recall some stuff, or I wasn’t paying enough attention. But I swear there were some scenes in the “previously on The Nevers” clips that I never saw in the previous episodes. 

Ot felt like the reverse of Arrested Development , when they showed previews of fake scenes. 

1 hour ago, Augustus said:

One weird thing:  either my brain just failed to recall some stuff, or I wasn’t paying enough attention. But I swear there were some scenes in the “previously on The Nevers” clips that I never saw in the previous episodes. 

Probably from Part 2, which won't be airing until later this year or next.

On 6/14/2021 at 5:56 PM, Augustus said:

I thoroughly enjoyed it, as well. 

Ot felt like the reverse of Arrested Development , when they showed previews of fake scenes. 

I think it was episode 5 where Amaila started talking about the Galanthi as if we should know what that was.  Then later they went back and explained what had happened in a flash back.

19 hours ago, TexasGary said:

I think it was episode 5 where Amaila started talking about the Galanthi as if we should know what that was.  Then later they went back and explained what had happened in a flash back.

Yeah that was definitely one of those moments where I thought I'd missed something. 

Finally watched the last episode and I can't believe my wife was (mostly) right. I'm never going to hear the end of it. FML.

I had to watch the whole thing with subtitles, and there was definitely a line in an earlier episode where True said “When I’m from” not “Where I’m from.” Your wife may have caught that.

I liked it. True is fucking sexy. I’m bummed that Whedon is off the show, there was a lot of his style that came through in those future scenes with all the future slang.

• 1 month later...

We just finished up episode 6. I swear we didn’t see it available to view last week when we looked, so I thought maybe they were doing a weekly release 

So, were we supposed to expect that twist at all?  We actually restarted the episode because I thought I clicked the wrong thing. Enjoyed it, even though things are clear as mud at this point. Hate that it’s going to be a while to wrap up s1

• 1 year later...