Shaka Smart - Out at UT In at Marquette

immamac

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

William Gates played at Marquette (of "Hoop Dreams" fame).  A guy from our high school near Chicago also got to play there.  As did a famous Texas recruit that got away from Barnes and the 'horns...Jimmy Butler.  I think the Smart family will be happy there, Milwaukee is an underrated city, though it gets ugly pretty quick once you get off Marquette's campus.  Plus the Jesuit Catholic, Best Catholic.  

isn't smart from wisconsin?

38 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

I just realized that I went the same high school as Beard.   He was 2-3 years behind me and I don't recall him at all.  I think he graduated the same year as Mrs. Macanudo.   But I guarantee she doesn't remember him.

Ouch.

42 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

I just realized that I went the same high school as Beard.   He was 2-3 years behind me and I don't recall him at all.  I think he graduated the same year as Mrs. Macanudo.   But I guarantee she doesn't remember him.

Dark humor at its finest, young'uns.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

isn't smart from wisconsin?

Yeah, from a little suburb south of Madison, about 100 miles away from Milwaukee.  I'm sure he's familiar with Milwaukee but it's been 25 years since he spent any appreciable amount of time up there.  Plus 100 miles from Milwaukee is like living in Brenham and thinking you're from Austin or Houston.  He'll be fine there, on to our coaching search...

3 minutes ago, utfan87 said:

Is that 4 million correct because we have been saying a much steeper amount. 

ED6476AF-CACB-4099-932C-F89D4568522C.jpeg

Most were going off info from when the deal was originally signed a couple years ago. If it does on the 1st then we likely won't know anything until. Unless Oregon loses and Altman is named the coach by Tuesday 

17 minutes ago, Lobo said:

William Gates played at Marquette (of "Hoop Dreams" fame).  A guy from our high school near Chicago also got to play there.  As did a famous Texas recruit that got away from Barnes and the 'horns...Jimmy Butler.  I think the Smart family will be happy there, Milwaukee is an underrated city, though it gets ugly pretty quick once you get off Marquette's campus.  Plus the Jesuit Catholic, Best Catholic.  

Plus they have Spotted Cow which is an incredible beer

Good for Shaka and Texas. I think he will do well at Marquette. The Texas job was just too big for him. He was not equipped to coach the kind of players Texas recruits. His philosophy and style did not work here. I am excited to move forward with someone who can handle the big stage and looks to embrace the recruits and style needed at Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, Milwaukee is beautiful and fun (I went in the summer time both times I was there) and great for beer drinking.  
I mean- it's not NYC or anything like that- but for barely major league cities it's really good. I'd take it over Pittsburg or Buffalo or OKC or any of those type of "small market" big league cities.  

1 hour ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Tech isn't a basketball school. He made it that way. Those in Lubbock would drop bball for football if they were successful. 

He definitely made it that way and the dynamic has significantly shifted.

Football schools would never pay their football coach significantly less than their basketball coach like Tech now does.

14 minutes ago, Kyle said:

RBCOACHDAVIDMCWILLIAMS089.jpeg

Unfortunately, thinking the same thing. That situation made me a believer that it's sometimes best not to hire family. If things go down it's hard to get rid of them and you're going to piss off a lot of people no matter what you do. Hopefully that isn't the case if Texas hires Beard. 

Edited by Brandywine

56 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

Could CDC announce the new coach tomorrow? or, will he wait until the end of the tournament? If tomorrow, then this thing has been going on behind the scenes for awhile, or at least this last week. 

It is my understanding that CDC always has a prioritized list already in place for every job, with preliminary discussions already complete. He’s done this with every hire at Texas and in previous stops. By the time of an announcement he already knows which candidate to close and who are the back-ups.

He prefers to have the top candidate already closed by announcement time. The only exception is when there needs to be courtesy interviews for new candidates that emerge or they want to demonstrate a willingness to do a public search. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

It is my understanding that CDC always has a prioritized list already in place for every job, with preliminary discussions already complete. He’s done this with every hire at Texas and in previous stops. By the time of an announcement he already knows which candidate to close and who are the back-ups.

He prefers to have the top candidate already closed by announcement time. The only exception is when there needs to be courtesy interviews for new candidates that emerge or they want to demonstrate a willingness to do a public search. 

If we're waiting on buyouts to drop then publicly interviewing Ivey will be positive for both sides and keep the NBA guys happy. 

Just now, longhornmatt said:

David McWilliams only had one or two years of head coaching experience and was mediocre at Tech.   Chris Beard basically already has as many accomplishments as Rick Barnes in 1/4 the number of years and has won big everywhere (and in his case, all of his stops were pretty hard places to win and he turned them around quickly).

Plus, qualitatively, every coach during Tech’s tourney run raved about how his practices were the best they’d ever seen, he’s possibly the best defensive coach in college basketball, and he’s a Bobby Knight disciple.  Their offense hasn’t always been high flying, but I think that’s more about the players they have had.  The stuff they run is decent.  You’ll see the Knight motion mixed in and not just a bunch of guys standing while someone gets a ball screen (the Shaka way, and the way of like half of college basketball).

You absolutely make Chris Beard turn down the job. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

If Beard is hired, it just has to work out. Or we have to start wondering about what the fuck is the institutional issue. 

Outside of the question marks Crystal has created for himself there's more unified effort than I've seen/heard of in my time as a Longhorn 

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Shaka Smart - Out at UT In at Marquette
  • immamac unpinned this topic