Shaka Smart - Out at UT In at Marquette

immamac

14 minutes ago, 83Horn said:

Bob Weltlich was also a Bobby Knight guy...just saying.

CSB/ Back in my Church's days on Wm. Cannon, Kaiser Bob was a regular customer, would shoot(no pun intended) the shit with him whenever I was working, nice enough man.  I dare not tell him him I was a UK fan given his meltdown after a loss to UK when he was at Ole Miss, believe he may have left for Texas right after that.  FTR, he liked dark meat(thighs).  /csb

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Dr. Teeth said:

If Beard is hired, it just has to work out. Or we have to start wondering about what the fuck is the institutional issue. 

I agree with you Doc.  And I’m curious as to what they Group may think. 
What is considered the bar for having it “work out”? 

Nat’l Championship w/in 3yrs?

Final Four appearance w/in 2 or 3yrs?

Hell, a first round win in year 1?

Just now, JesusSweatDuck said:

I know this isn't the recruiting board, but what's the impact here?  We're going to lose a lot of players to the draft/graduation.

He's neither a stranger to nor shy when it comes to the portal.  Let him go at it - there's a lot of talent sitting in there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

I know this isn't the recruiting board, but what's the impact here?  We're going to lose a lot of players to the draft/graduation.

Our roster is already fairly gutted, have the hire by next week, try and keep the class together as much as possible, maybe you're able to bring a guy back out of the transfer portal, and grab a few of the literally hundreds of players that are in the transfer portal.

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Win the conference once every (no, the conference tournament doesn't count) every 5-10 years.

That 10 needs to be removed.   It's a tough league.  We all get it.  But winning the conference every 5 years isn't a big ask.  Beard would say the same given the talent he would be able to collect.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Our roster is already fairly gutted, have the hire by next week, try and keep the class together as much as possible, maybe you're able to bring a guy back out of the transfer portal, and grab a few of the literally hundreds of players that are in the transfer portal.

For reference, when I say there are hundreds of players available, I mean it

24 minutes ago, Underdog said:

CSB/ Back in my Church's days on Wm. Cannon, Kaiser Bob was a regular customer, would shoot(no pun intended) the shit with him whenever I was working, nice enough man.  I dare not tell him him I was a UK fan given his meltdown after a loss to UK when he was at Ole Miss, believe he may have left for Texas right after that.  FTR, he liked dark meat(thighs).  /csb

I'll see your CSB and raise you one:

When I knew Texas Basketball had hit bottom (lower than now): I was in the old Rollingwood Safeway mere days before Weltlich's last game against Houston in the conference tournament (we lost).  I spy our firebrand Bobby Knight disciple in my isle as he is mulling over a purchase.  He seemed pretty happy with himself and was completely at ease.  As I got closer I could hear him humming along to the Muzak being pumped out in an absent minded fashion.  I paused and considered the song: The Reflex by Duran Duran.

Just picture in your mind, Bob Weltlich humming along to the Muzak version of The Reflex in a Safeway.  I hung my head and shook it as I walked past.  Texas basketball was dead to me.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

I'll see your CSB and raise you one:

When I knew Texas Basketball had hit bottom (lower than now): I was in the old Rollingwood Safeway mere days before Weltlich's last game against Houston in the conference tournament (we lost).  I spy our firebrand Bobby Knight disciple in my isle as he is mulling over a purchase.  He seemed pretty happy with himself and was completely at ease.  As I got closer I could hear him humming along to the Muzak being pumped out in an absent minded fashion.  I paused and considered the song: The Reflex by Duran Duran.

Just picture in your mind, Bob Weltlich humming along to the Muzak version of The Reflex in a Safeway.  I hung my head and shook it as I walked past.  Texas basketball was dead to me.

WhisperedSeparateFrogmouth-size_restrict

29 minutes ago, NTVTXN said:

I agree with you Doc.  And I’m curious as to what they Group may think. 
What is considered the bar for having it “work out”? 

Nat’l Championship w/in 3yrs?

Final Four appearance w/in 2 or 3yrs?

Hell, a first round win in year 1?

Barnes first 10 years would be nice again. mostly 1st and 2nds in conference and sweet 16's half those years. consistently getting to sweet 16's will give a Texas a chance.  

• Like 1

Some day we will get back to a Final Four or perhaps even win a natty.

And it will all come back to Ford as was the first to be elite and make it okay to go to Texas.   

Definitely my favorite player of all time at Texas.

Edited by Wally Pryor
  • Hook 'Em 4

Nick Harris: Recruiting ramifications already hitting Texas basketball after Shaka Smart's departure

After six seasons with the Texas Longhorns, Shaka Smart will be departing Austin to head to his home state of Wisconsin to coach Marquette, a source confirmed to Horns247 on Friday morning. Smart went 109-86 in his time at Texas, which includes a 52-56 record in Big 12 play and an 0-3 record in the NCAA Tournament.

With a coaching search now back in full swing in Austin, the recruiting ramifications are already taking effect as Horns247 learned Friday afternoon that four-star shooting guard Tamar Bates is expected to request a release from his National Letter of Intent as early as this weekend. Bates' relationship with Smart is strong and one of the key reasons he made his commitment to the Longhorns was for the opportunity to play for an African-American head coach.

Another signee we're monitoring is four-star power forward David Joplin from Brookfield (Wis.) Central. While there is no indication at this time that Joplin will also request a release from his National Letter of Intent, Smart's strong relationship with the 6-foot-7, 215 pound four-star stems from them both being from the state of Wisconsin. While this situation remains fluid with the four signees, I expect four-star combo guard Emarion Ellis and three-star power forward Keeyan Itejere to stick through their signatures at this time.

With National Signing Day around the corner on April 15 and one signee already expected to jump ship, Texas may look to make a move quickly to save the program from losing more signees than just Bates. With more than half of the 2020-21 roster expected to enter the NBA draft or move on from the program, the transfer market will be Texas' stomping grounds for the next few months, regardless of who comes in as head coach.

For 2022 recruiting, Shaka Smart and his staff did a solid job in building relationships with multiple in-state prospects including Austin Nunez and Anthony Black. If Texas can bring in Chris Beard or another head coach with deep in-state ties, the new staff should be able to pick up right where Smart left off. But if Chris Del Conte decides to go in another direction, it will be up to that new staff to re-engage with a loaded in-state 2022 class that Texas has already made a big impact on.

so many people losing their minds on twitter

even if we dont get beard, its fun trolling these tech fans.  they have convinced themselves that tech is the greatest city of all time and no other school can even compare to tech.

i mean shit, i drink a lot of koolaid as a texas fan, but lubbock might be one of the most boring places ive ever been.

honestly, Marquette is a basketball school with a large budget, a fairly recent history of success, and the Big East is a much softer conference than the Big XII (imagine hearing that 8-10 years ago). Shaka once again finds himself truly set up for success. he was merely ok at VCU, a school where everyone who coached there wins. he then failed at Texas where he had a prime time job with a huge budget, a giant arena, 50,000 students, millions of alumni nearby, while consistently bringing in top tier recruiting clases. if Shaka fails at Marquette then he legit might want to think about coaching high school from here on out. that's not even a diss, that's how i really feel. best of luck to him. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

honestly, Marquette is a basketball school with a large budget, a fairly recent history of success, and the Big East is a much softer conference than the Big XII (imagine hearing that 8-10 years ago). Shaka once again finds himself truly set up for success. he was merely ok at VCU, a school where everyone who coached there wins. he then failed at Texas where he had a prime time job with a huge budget, a giant arena, 50,000 students, millions of alumni nearby, while consistently bringing in top tier recruiting clases. if Shaka fails at Marquette then he legit might want to think about coaching high school from here on out. that's not even a diss, that's how i really feel. best of luck to him. 

Handicap the candidates for us.

Beard

Ivey

Altman

Musselman

Underwood

Other

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

if Shaka fails at Marquette then he legit might want to think about coaching high school from here on out. that's not even a diss, that's how i really feel. best of luck to him. 

Or maybe join Tony Robbins on the motivational speaking circuit.

Can't you almost hear Shaka delivering this sort of drivel? "You've got to maximize the W and minimize the L. Press the WIN button!!!"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Read this from Wki, which was news to me:

Smart's given name was bestowed in honor of the famous Zulu warrior.[16] He graduated magna cum laude from Kenyon with a degree in history, researching and writing on issues related to race and the Great Migration.[17] Smart received an NCAA postgraduate scholarship and earned a master's degree in social science at California University of Pennsylvania. He developed a love for quotations at Kenyon. Smart began writing down quotes into a digital document that is now over 110 pages long. He also likes nature documentaries featuring big cats.[18]

Smart has been married since May 20, 2006, to Maya Smart, a professional writer and alumna of Harvard University and Northwestern University.[1][19][20] Their daughter was born in 2011.[

Shaka was told in no uncertain terms it was in his best interest to find another job. This is the best possible outcome considering the money was not lined up to pay this buyout. There is money for a top caliber coach if CDC presents a viable option, however. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Underdog said:

The point guard on that team was the dude who raised Michael Oher (along with Sandra Bullock of course)....

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Shaka was told in no uncertain terms it was in his best interest to find another job. This is the best possible outcome considering the money was not lined up to pay this buyout. There is money for a top caliber coach if CDC presents a viable option, however. 

our sources are telling us 2 completely different things. 

• immamac changed the title to Shaka Smart - Out at UT In at Marquette
  • immamac unpinned this topic