Shaka Smart - Out at UT In at Marquette

immamac

1 hour ago, Steel Shank said:

Sorry if I missed it, but has Shaka publicly said why he left UT? Has anybody addressed it formally?

Nope, and he never will, since being told to find another job or hit the bricks is pretty awkward.

We get to keep our $7 mil, and Marquette gets to think they made a big time hire.

Edited by CurlyDumps

When the opportunity came about, there was really three reasons for me and Maya [my wife] that we felt this was an absolute slam dunk. Number one, this is a basketball crazy place. This is basketball-centric department. Number two, it’s clear that Marquette is about family and that goes beyond sports. Number three, the alignment… there’s a common vision and it’s a shared vision that I have,” Smart said.

Smart’s answer was mostly looking forward to his opportunity with the Golden Eagles, but he did say those three reasons were a “better fit” compared to Texas.

https://www.kxan.com/sports/marquette-to-officially-introduce-shaka-smart-as-head-basketball-coach-monday/amp/

• Fuck You 8

Texas being a basketball centric place was the only reason he kept his job as long as he did. He was hired one year after the football coach was hired. In his time that coach was fired, another coach was hired who had more success than Shaka did but was also fired before Shaka left.

That said it was definitely the smart play to bail when he did. Texas Athletics has garnered a nation wide reputation for dysfunction and he was able to play off of that to land this other job

Edited by Wanker Bob
  • Fuck You 14

8 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

The guy who wanted to keep Shaka and thought we should all eat crow because he beat Tech and OSU to win the Big 12 tournament is telling other people they don’t know basketball. 

source.gif 

let's not forget that a week ago he was suggesting that Texas hire one of his buddies, some guy who's spent the last 10 years at a school so irrelevant that i can't even remember it's name. dude's career record is something like 155-150 with two NIT appearances, but motown thinks Texas should give him a look. 🙄 there's dumb, and there's really dumb, and there's especially dumb, and then there's motownhorn basketball takes. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wanker Bob said:

When the opportunity came about, there was really three reasons for me and Maya [my wife] that we felt this was an absolute slam dunk. Number one, this is a basketball crazy place. This is basketball-centric department. Number two, it’s clear that Marquette is about family and that goes beyond sports. Number three, the alignment… there’s a common vision and it’s a shared vision that I have,” Smart said.

Smart’s answer was mostly looking forward to his opportunity with the Golden Eagles, but he did say those three reasons were a “better fit” compared to Texas.

https://www.kxan.com/sports/marquette-to-officially-introduce-shaka-smart-as-head-basketball-coach-monday/amp/

Two reasons it's a better fit:

1) Texas figured out he's a fraud. 

2) Marquette has yet to figure out he's a fraud.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

So, #2 he's saying that Texas is not family-friendly?

Shaka was well aware of attendance numbers when he turned down Marquette and took the Texas job a year later. Sure seems like a high salary and low expectations was his preferred situation not too long ago.

Sellout crowds at a basketball school might expect things like...an offensive identity, game plans, and in-game adjustments. Good luck with that!

18 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

OK so it's really just two reasons.

Just more corporate HR training word salad. Same shit he peddled for six years here. All talk and no results. That, to me, is not in any way likeable, but maybe I've been around these types of parasitic pseudointellectual glad-handing douchebags in corporate America more than some of you. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I mean it's pretty fucking bad, listen to the podcast with Shark. 

I remember some football program that had 6 coaches over a 7 year period, including one who only lasted through his first spring practice before being shown the door for his improper use of department funds to pay for strippers. And that was their best sport. Now that was a fucking dysfunctional athletic department. Wonder how things worked out for them with that 6th coach.

One thing cures all. Win. 

• Hook 'Em 5

• 1 month later...
45 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Let’s burn it down and hope he’s underinsured for like replacement value only. I Hate the idea he’s going to make a big profit on this that’s like getting an extra salary. 

Shaka could have stuck around and shit the bed and demanded to be paid off like Mack. 

He didn't.

As a thank you, I hope that he sells this house for ABOVE asking price.

He saved UT millions and allowed CDC to move in a timely manner so that work on restocking the cupboards could begin immediately.

Shaka can't coach for shit, so sorry to the fans and players up at Marquette, but I appreciate the way he exited (even if he whined about crowd support) so that we could rebuild from a position of strength (ready to go after players from mid-April with a full staff) rather than weakness (scrambling to add a full roster of players during the summer.).

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 2